What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

NoPace

Ole is a lot smarter than people think in the transfer market and he's red through and through, little gestures like consoling Calum Hudson Odoi after we beat them in the cup. This is his dream job and like Sir Alex, class of 92 and Mike Phelan they have all been looking from a far thinking how to resolve the issues at the club;
  • Too many Foreign Mercenaries
  • Team is aging and not mobile enough
  • The Wage bill is not reflective of the teams success on the field
  • The Team no longer has that central core of British players of 6 or 7 players that understand what Manchester United represents
  • Lacks genuine leadership
  • Lacks Midfield creativity
  • lacks genuine width and trickery
  • Squad is imbalanced Age, Position
If this logic, which seems reasonable to me, is followed and you take into account who's actually going to be gettable and will be pushing for a move, you have to think we'll pay the premiums and sign Wan-Bissaka and Rice as young, hungry, British and mobile Prem proven talents to shore up DM and RB. I could also see Rice being signed with a mind to holding off on buying a center back for another year since that was his original position. Conversely, Wan-Bissaka at RB might cost 50M and if Ole thinks Dalot will be a high-level starting player by the start of the 2020 season, it would probably make more sense to buy cheap or even risk a loan at that spot since we need a huge amount of money elsewhere.

Sancho or Hudson-Odoi to play RW fits that mould too of course, but that will be tough, so maybe another creative talent might come instead to play on the right.

If Herrera is gone, Bruno Fernandes would make sense as a replacement and you have to think Sporting will have to sell him for big money. He'll be 25 at the start of next season, good age to be in his prime the next 3-4 years here.

So yeah, I can't bring myself to believe we'll sign Sancho (even though we did get Pogba) so right now I'll predict a summer of:
1. Declan Rice
2. Bruno Fernandes
RightWinger who isn't Sancho or Hudson-Odoi, so someone like Nicolas Pepe, Malcolm, Ziyech, Leon Bailey, one of the PSV wingers or Neres.
4. 15-20M 25-28 year old RB from Ligue 1, La Liga or Bundesliga

and CB is unaddressed for one more year with Ole being surprisingly bullish on Jones or Bailly to join Lindelof and Smalling as centerbacks he can live with for now.

laughtersassassin

If this logic, which seems reasonable to me, is followed and you take into account who's actually going to be gettable and will be pushing for a move, you have to think we'll pay the premiums and sign Wan-Bissaka and Rice as young, hungry, British and mobile Prem proven talents to shore up DM and RB. I could also see Rice being signed with a mind to holding off on buying a center back for another year since that was his original position. Conversely, Wan-Bissaka at RB might cost 50M and if Ole thinks Dalot will be a high-level starting player by the start of the 2020 season, it would probably make more sense to buy cheap or even risk a loan at that spot since we need a huge amount of money elsewhere.

Sancho or Hudson-Odoi to play RW fits that mould too of course, but that will be tough, so maybe another creative talent might come instead to play on the right.

If Herrera is gone, Bruno Fernandes would make sense as a replacement and you have to think Sporting will have to sell him for big money. He'll be 25 at the start of next season, good age to be in his prime the next 3-4 years here.

So yeah, I can't bring myself to believe we'll sign Sancho (even though we did get Pogba) so right now I'll predict a summer of:
1. Declan Rice
2. Bruno Fernandes
RightWinger who isn't Sancho or Hudson-Odoi, so someone like Nicolas Pepe, Malcolm, Ziyech, Leon Bailey, one of the PSV wingers or Neres.
4. 15-20M 25-28 year old RB from Ligue 1, La Liga or Bundesliga

and CB is unaddressed for one more year with Ole being surprisingly bullish on Jones or Bailly to join Lindelof and Smalling as centerbacks he can live with for now.

That window won't get us far at all. Can't leave out CB simple as. If we can't afford one buy Toby he is cheap as chips this summer.

NoPace

That window won't get us far at all. Can't leave out CB simple as. If we can't afford one buy Toby he is cheap as chips this summer.
Yeah we have money, 25 for 2-3 seasons of Alderweild does seem worth it, I'm just telling you what I expect. If you add Alderweild that's still around a 23-250M window (Rice 70-75, Fernandes 60, RW 50-60, Alderweild 25, RB 20-25)

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
De Gea
Dalot - Tuanzebe - Lindelof - Shaw
Sancho - Pogba - Rice - Hudson Odoi
Martial - Rashford

feck it...​

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Smalling Varane Shaw
McTominay
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial

Romero
Dalot Jones Lindelöf Young
Matić
Fred Pereira
Lingard Lukaku Greenwood​

Solkjaer believes United are in need of strengthening in all departments – but central defence, midfield and right wing are expected to be prioritised.

United are prepared to pay in excess of £80m for Jadon Sancho, with Kalidou Koulibally, Raphael Varane and Bruno Fernandes among those wanted.

Callum Hudson-Odoi, Declan Rice and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are also on Solskjaer’s radar.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...b-a4106541.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true
Some journo has been reading the caf.

Sterling Archer

What's the reason to not sign all of those players should it actually be possible? I feel like our squad is in a really good place to rebuild with regards to timing. We've just hired the manager permanently, one that epitomizes the club philosophy and he should be backed to full effect this summer with a fair share of players departing.

Herrera seems to be off. Fellaini already gone. Darmian will be gone. Rojo expected to go. Sanchez leaving wouldn't shock me and in fact, I expect him gone by next summer and I bet the club does too and won't wait for him to go to replace him. Matic probably nearing his last season , at least as a starter .

And then if De Gea and Pogba also leave we're just looking at a massive rebuild. Better to do it at once and give Ole timeime with the lot.

Devil may care

So if Herrera does bounce we have 5 holes to fill in the starting 11.

There's no way I see us sorting all 5 out in one go so the first I'd hold off on is CB as IMO Jones and Smalling are better CB's than Matic is a DM or Young is a RB, so they'd be prioritized over a CB and we have to add some proven quality to that attack, not another kid because we already have 2 inconsistent young forwards and the prodigy Greenwood coming through, we need someone in that false 9/#10 role that is top class to give us what Sanchez was supposed to give us, and we need to forget 4-3-3 as Rashford cannot hold the ball up as the pivot for the wide players to play off (neither can Lukaku), he was getting bullied on Saturday trying to do it and improved the minute we switched to the diamond with him and Martial moving closer together as strikers and Mata in behind them linking with Pogba.

So basically DM, RB and a false 9/#10 are the keys, then it's a toss up, I would be surprised if we replaced Herrera, instead we'll probably put it off a season and try to bluff our way through with Fred, Pereira and McTominay all getting shots at that secvond #8 role.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Hope we have Champions League football next season spend big, sell high !

Outs : 213M

Bailly 30M
Rojo 10M
Fosuh Mensah 5M
Valencia (free)
Darmian (8M)
Pogba (160M)
Herrera (free)
Sanchez (loan)

Ins : 260M
Meunier (40M)
Koulibaly (80M)
Rabiot (free)
Ruben Neves (40M)
Sancho (100M)

Still to decide on De Gea

4-3-3

De Gea (Romero)

Meunier (Dalot)
Lindelof (Jones)
Koulibaly (Smalling)
Shaw (Young)

Matic (Mc Tominay)
Neves (Fred)
Rabiot (Pereira)

Sancho (Lingard)
Rashford (Lukaku)
Martial (Chong)

Silas

Hope we have Champions League football next season spend big, sell high !

Outs : 213M

Bailly 30M
Rojo 10M
Fosuh Mensah 5M
Valencia (free)
Darmian (8M)
Pogba (160M)
Herrera (free)
Sanchez (loan)

Ins : 260M
Meunier (40M)
Koulibaly (80M)
Rabiot (free)
Ruben Neves (40M)
Sancho (100M)

Still to decide on De Gea

4-3-3

De Gea (Romero)

Meunier (Dalot)
Lindelof (Jones)
Koulibaly (Smalling)
Shaw (Young)

Matic (Mc Tominay)
Neves (Fred)
Rabiot (Pereira)

Sancho (Lingard)
Rashford (Lukaku)
Martial (Chong)
On what planet does Neves go for 40m?

Infra-red

Replace Mata and Lingard with Thorgan Hazard (one year left on his deal) and Julian Brandt (£21.6m clause), which gets some creativity in to our attack, and save the bulk of the budget for upgrading midfield and defence with players who can actually pass the ball.

Canagel

DDG
Dalot Lindelof Koulibaly Shaw
Rabiot Rice Pogba
Sancho Mertens Martial

I wonder how a team like this will work. We still lack movement in our attack that I'm starting to prefer one experienced to rectify it. Mertens is one of the best players at moving, work hard off the ball and he knows how to play as striker and finish chancss.​

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
DDG
Dalot Lindelof Koulibaly Shaw
Rabiot Rice Pogba
Sancho Mertens Martial

I wonder how a team like this will work. We still lack movement in our attack that I'm starting to prefer one experienced to rectify it. Mertens is one of the best players at moving, work hard off the ball and he knows how to play as striker and finish chancss.​
Mertens will be 32 and had one great goal scoring season in his career.

Bwuk

If Pogba did go, I'd happily see us change our midfield shape and go 4-4-2.

I think Martial/Rashford/Lukaku would all play better in a 2.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'd love if we could announce a signing before the window opens like other clubs.

devlinadl

On what planet does Neves go for 40m?
Believe that 40m was the figure bandied about in the press last season, when he was still a Championship player, and unproven in the Premier League.

Devil may care

If Ole does get the 5 signings the briefing is saying he'll get then I'm hoping for the below, for the forward I left it open as I think there are a few options and obviously I can't be a 100% sure Ole will opt for the type of forward I think this team needs.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm apprehensive about this summer.
I really don't know what I'm expecting.

I'll have posted in here before, but my stance is still the same. I believe we need 7 players
These players being: RB, CB, DM, CM, RW being the priority with LB, CB also needing a fix at some point.
The scary thing is, if Herrera leaves, you potentially have to throw another CM into that list (This isn't a one summer fix btw, it''d be over the next two seasons)

Our biggest problem right now is that post Fergie, most of our signings have been failures and it's meant that the likes of Smalling, Jones and Young get these new contracts because their replacements haven't succeeded.
Of our main purchases: Mata, Fellaini, Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo, Blind, Martial, Schneiderlin, Bastian, Depay, Darmian, Pogba, Mkhi, Bailly, Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof, Sanchez, Fred, Dalot

21 Signings post Fergie (Not including Zlatan and Falcao) Of the 21 7 have left, 9 have question marks over their heads and 5 I'd consider successes (And Pogba is a fence sitter atm)
The return has been poor and it's held us back in moving on players like Smalling, Jones, Young etc

I've seen the report today that we're targeting X amount of players and I want it to be true, but as I said, I'm really apprehensive about the summer.

RB: Young just isn't good enough and right now, Dalot is showing glimpses, but he looks better going forward rather than defensively
CB: Rojo, Bailly and Jones need to go to be honest, so this is why I feel we need two CBs
DM: Matic just isn't dynamic enough for todays football and I think a more well rounded ball winner is more important than a big guy back there
CM: Sometimes I feel we miss the Pjanic, Kroos type player who sits in the whole, receives balls from behind or in front and sprays it around the pitch
RW: I would like to see a goal threat with some pace for our right wing

Whats is interesting is Ole's willingness to play a diamond formation which may cut the need for a RW.

SparkedIntoLife

My mind changes all the time and I'm definitely feeling negative and possibly reactionary after recent poor results.

GK = NONE
I think we're OK. I feel De Gea's heart is elsewhere now but would insist he stays for the last year of his contract unless we're offered an absurd amount (£70m plus). We just wouldn't be able to replace him sufficiently while properly strengthening elsewhere of priority IMHO. Romero's still a great backup but no more. Henderson could really develop on loan again if Sheffield United go up to the Prem.

RB x 1
I've had an idea. Dalot does seem to need a bit more time and probably can't yet be trusted as first choice. We could sign someone more experienced like Meunier or Lala to tide us over while Dalot progresses. However, thinking about it, it might be worth signing 22 year old Youcef Atal from Nice. He's been getting rave reviews and Transfermarkt indicates he's two footed and able to play left back and right wing as well. If Dalot and Laird become top players as expected, we could either sell Atal on with hopefully decent resale value or he could compete with Luke Shaw on the left.

LB = OK
Shaw and Young should be fine. I'd much rather have someone else to compete with Shaw as I see Young as 1) not quite good enough and declining and 2) slows us down when on the left. However, if the aforementioned Atal is indeed two footed, he can compete on the left too.

CD x 1
This looks less of a pressing need than it previously did. However, I feel Bailly needs selling while he has some value still. He's rash and injury prone and I don't trust him to develop. Rojo hasn't been great despite a purple patch in the Europa League winning run and the knee injury seems to have brought him down further. I'd sell him too. I've finally given up on Mathijs De Ligt sadly as Barca very much seem to have his signing sown up. Although he hasn't been at his best for some time, I still think Toby Alderweireld would improve us and for £25m it's a gamble worth taking. Jones and Smalling can be good backups, though I would keep Fosu Mensah or Tuanzebe around as an option due to Jones' injury issues.

DM x 1
I hate that I feel this way because I like his attitude and feel he has been wrongly criticised at times but I think Nemanja Matic is past his best and not mobile enough for what Ole wants. I'd consider selling him and upgrading to Rodri; especially if he does indeed have a clause for £60m. He's one of the best young defensive midfielders in the world and offers a lot going forward too with his passing. However, in my heart of hearts, I don't believe he'll leave Atletico after only a year. They tend to earn great loyalty from their players, especially Spanish midfielders. I think his teammate Thomas Partey for £50m is more achievable though. Not quite as good but maybe better suited to the Premier League. He would be backed up by McTominay and Garner.

CM x 1
I want us to keep Ander Herrera around. He appears to me to be one of the only leaders we have so I'd make him club captain. However, I'm not too willing to be patient with Fred. He's a better player than he's shown but we should be doing better. We need to sell him while his Shakhtar status is still slightly fresh in minds. I'd replace him with Hossam Aouar from Lyon. He looks like he could become one of the best midfielders in the world. He's creative and extremely press resistant which are two qualities we lack. I'd have him rotate with Herrera while he develops and gets used to England. He could also play in the more attacking midfield role.

AM x 1
Now here's the controversial one perhaps. I'd sell Pogba. Yes, class. Yes, probably our best player. Yes, our top scorer this season. But his attitude is shocking, he's often flirting with other clubs and I resent how indulged he seems. I know it's a cliché but Ferguson really was fed up with him and his entourage and we should take note of that. Sell him to Madrid for £150m and improve several areas of our squad. Bruno Fernandes of Sporting isn't as good of a player but offers much more goal threat. Someone scoring so many from midfield offers a huge threat and upgrading the players behind the attacking midfielder should mitigate for the loss of Pogba. I'd sell Andreas Pereira as he only has a year left on his deal and I don't think he'll be good enough. Jesse Lingard and Angel Gomes can be decent backups.

RW x 1
It has to be Jadon Sancho, right? It seems an absolute no brainer to me. The problem is that I don't think Dortmund will want to sell until next year after the Euros where they'll probably expect him to star and attract a bidding war. However, if we offer a big amount now like £120m, I think they would be tempted. I struggle to know what to do with Mata regarding a new contract. Due to a probable lack of interest from big clubs to promise him a lot of game time, I think we could probably end up renewing with him, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as a backup on less wages. This allows us to send Chong on loan. I don't think Mata really fits into Solskjaer's tactics but he's an awesome guy and he offers something different.

LW x 1
Martial remains first choice. I still have some doubts about his work ethic but he signed a new deal and is still very young. I wouldn't be against us signing Ryan Sessegnon. He looks far from the sure thing prospect he looked a year ago but still hasn't done too badly and he's only 18. He's a natural left footer so gives us width and could combine well or even compete with Shaw. Hopefully with Fulham's relegation, him entering the last year of his contract and the huge amount they wasted last year, they wouldn't be against selling Sessegnon for a reasonable fee. Maybe there is still a top player in there. I'd look for us to get rid of Sanchez, hopefully without us having to subsidise his wages. He used to be an excellent player and it's a huge shame it hasn't worked out for him at United but 18 months of poor performances is enough to bear considering the wages he's on and I'm fairly convinced his legs have gone.

ST = OK
Rashford, Lukaku and Greenwood. Good options. I'd have Lukaku as basically a backup which seems very frivolous for someone who cost as much as he did. However, we won't get our money back for him and I'd say he gives us something different that is often needed in the PL. The physical presence is something Rashford can develop but Lukaku's much better in that respect at the moment.

So -
GK: De Gea, Romero, Grant (Henderson loaned)
RB: Atal, Dalot, Laird
LB: Shaw, Young
CD: Alderweireld, Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Fosu Mensah (Tuanzebe, O'Connor loaned)
DM: Partey, McTominay, Garner
CM: Aouar, Herrera
AM: Fernandes, Lingard, Gomes
RW: Sancho, Mata (Chong loaned)
LW: Martial, Sessegnon
ST: Rashford, Lukaku, Greenwood

IN -
Atal = 25M
Alderweireld = 25M
Partey = 50M
Aouar = 70M
Fernandes = 50M
Sancho = 120M
Sessegnon = 40M

TOTAL = 380M

OUT -
Darmian = 5M
Bailly = 15M
Rojo = 5M
Valencia = Free
Matic = 15M
Fred = 20M
Pogba = 150M
Sanchez = Free
A. Pereira = 10M

TOTAL = 230M

Therefore the outlay would be 150M which is reasonably achievable.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Couldn't Ole buy one or two good players from his former club?

deadrevelz

I feel this transfer window is going to be a very bad one for us. We'll end up with Rice for 70m, Wan-Bissaka 45m, maybe Bruno Fernandes 60m.

Extend Mata's contract, lose Herrera. We'll play Dalot on the right wing.

De Gea and Pogba will stay for one more year but their heads will be in Madrid.

No new CB. Shaw will get injured in August.

Two of the following will stay: Darmian, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What about Sander Berge? we need a defensive midfielder, he's highly rated, and Ole would probably love to have another Norwegian at the club.

Has anyone seen much of him? would he be better than Rice?
I would take Sander Berge over Declan Rice, Berge looks a very interesting prospect.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Didn't they beat Ajax, Sevilla and Celtic on their last Europa League? There maybe some good players there.
Remind me when that was and how many players that played are still there?

Was that not down to Ole and tactics?

FerociousCorgis

i just really dont have faith that we will make the signings needed, and don't really see a way in which a summer where we sign 1-2 players can possibly work out on us competing for the title again.

Njord

What about Sander Berge? we need a defensive midfielder, he's highly rated, and Ole would probably love to have another Norwegian at the club.

Has anyone seen much of him? would he be better than Rice?
He's been struggling a bit with injuries the last year, but I have faith that he could reach a very high level. If we're going for norwegians I think there are three players that could reach very far: Berge, Ødegaard and Celtic's Ajer. All of them need to take steps though, and could probably benefit from a move to a club like Southampton first.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Remind me when that was and how many players that played are still there?

Was that not down to Ole and tactics?
point taken. I was just wondering if he knows any good players there. Or even any good prospect, since he managed there for a while. Solksjaer himself was playing for Molde when United bought him.