What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Fosu-Mens

Personally my priority signing would be a RW. Then a RB. After that take your pick of CB, CM. And if Dave and Martial go they'll need replaced too.
The amount of positions we need to improve is depressing.
How about we get a manager that can improve some of the players over time? I know it is strange to think that a squad can be improved with methods other than signing new and better players, but it is possible. While i do agree that we would need to improve in some positions, we do not know how our players would/will perform with a new manager and in a tactical system.
But if we continue with the current manager next season i do 100% agree with you that we need to buy x new starting players.

bucky

How about we get a manager that can improve some of the players over time? I know it is strange to think that a squad can be improved with methods other than signing new and better players, but it is possible. While i do agree that we would need to improve in some positions, we do not know how our players would/will perform with a new manager and in a tactical system.
But if we continue with the current manager next season i do 100% agree with you that we need to buy x new starting players.
Regardless of who the manager is, Dalot and Shaw would be the only full-backs I'd keep. I love what Valencia has done for the club, but he's not good enough anymore and we can't rely on 3 players that aren't good enough to start for us week in, week out, while Dalot isn't ready. Shaw needs competition as well.

We have needed to sign a RW since SAF was still manager.

Flytan

Is it bad I think we have more dead wood at the club now than we did during Moyes?

Matic, Rashford (still has time obviously), Lukaku, Jones, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo (not given a chance really this year), Bailly (completely out of favor), and McTominay.

Don't know what happened to Lukaku but maybe him and Rashford still have a future here.

Rest need to be replaced...

So,

2 CBs, a RB (Dalot still not getting chances), 2 Midfielders, a RW(don't even have one lol), and a striker.

Fosu-Mens

Regardless of who the manager is, Dalot and Shaw would be the only full-backs I'd keep. I love what Valencia has done for the club, but he's not good enough anymore and we can't rely on 3 players that aren't good enough to start for us week in, week out, while Dalot isn't ready. Shaw needs competition as well.

We have needed to sign a RW since SAF was still manager.
True, but we/no one can afford to buy 4/5 starting 11 players for a club challenging for major silverware in one window in the current market. Buy 1 or 2 class players and fill in the rest of the spots with younger promising players that we hopefully can improve under a different manager. Thinking that we can buy us into contention for PL and CL have been tried before.

Regarding the fullbacks:
LB: Tierney. £30m. Better than Shaw, especially going forward.
RB: Dalot, TFM and Ethan Laird as 3rd choice backup. One of them will perform. Even Wan-Bissaka might be an option(Get him in exchange for the clause we have if Palace were to sell Zaha on)

In RW, do you mean the classical winger like Beckham and Giggs, or do you mean the modern winger cutting inside and being left-footed?

Jezpeza

Any top manager would Probably Clear out darmian, Valencia, Jones, Bailey, Rojo, Young, Matic, Mctominay, Mata, Fellaini, Sanchez as a bare minimum. Question marks over smalling lindelif shaw and Herrera too though they have shown some good performances this season and look like they can improve. So if you look at squad depth and players to rotate in postioms realistically we need a RB, 2 CB, a LB, 2 RW, 2 CM and a world class striker. Won’t get that on a two balloons and a goldfish budget though so no point massively debating it.

Obviously It seems unrealistic to quite that many players but in the summer just gone we could have had Odriozola Lenglet and Malcom for 100m that’s 3 of those positions. There are also players like Tierney out their begging for a transfer who wouldn’t cost the world. Can see him being like Robertson.

There’s still value in the market if you can scout and actually pay out the cash to sign players. Problem is we’ve been signing bargain buys like schneiderlon or ‘finished article’ players like Sanchez which ultimately leads to failure on the pitch and wastes money. Rather see us build a squad of younger hungrier players with some talent who can develop or at least have resale value. Man City have carefully assembled the squad they have now over several transfer windows and so have liverpool. We seem to not think long term in our recruitment strategy.

Red_toad

True, but we/no one can afford to buy 4/5 starting 11 players for a club challenging for major silverware in one window in the current market. Buy 1 or 2 class players and fill in the rest of the spots with younger promising players that we hopefully can improve under a different manager. Thinking that we can buy us into contention for PL and CL have been tried before.

Regarding the fullbacks:
RB: Dalot, TFM and Ethan Laird as 3rd choice backup. One of them will perform. Even Wan-Bissaka might be an option(Get him in exchange for the clause we have if Palace were to sell Zaha on)

In RW, do you mean the classical winger like Beckham and Giggs, or do you mean the modern winger cutting inside and being left-footed?
How would anyone class Backham like a classical winger? Had no pace, didn't dribble past opponents, wasn't inconsistent.

bucky

Regarding the fullbacks:

I am not expecting us to do that to be fair, nonetheless it was still baffling what we did last summer. I also don't think we need to invest heavily with every position. Obviously some won't be cheap and there's no way around it for us, but as far as full-backs go, we might not need to spend a lot compared to other positions. For example, Youcef Atal from Nice would be someone, I'd be looking at in January. As far as left-backs go, I think there are a few players, who could compete with Shaw for the spot in our starting XI. Tierney, I am constantly forgetting about, since I don't watch Scottish football, but if he's good enough like some think on here, then I am all for it. There might also be cheaper options around like Aaron Martin from Mainz.

Dalot and Laird are players I am really excited about, but as long as they aren't ready, we are forced to play Valencia, Darmian and Young there, which simply isn't good enough. We cannot afford to wait on them either. I am hoping we bring in a RB, if he gets eventually displaced by Dalot or Laird, great, and we then could sell that player again, hopefully for a profit.

If we play regularly with a system that has a RW in it, which all our managers post Ferguson have done, then I don't think that player needs to be a classical winger. Those hardly exist anymore anyway.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I am not expecting us to do that to be fair, nonetheless it was still baffling what we did last summer. I also don't think we need to invest heavily with every position. Obviously some won't be cheap and there's no way around it for us, but as far as full-backs go, we might not need to spend a lot compared to other positions. For example, Youcef Atal from Nice would be someone, I'd be looking at in January. As far as left-backs go, I think there are a few players, who could compete with Shaw for the spot in our starting XI. Tierney, I am constantly forgetting about, since I don't watch Scottish football, but if he's good enough like some think on here, then I am all for it. There might also be cheaper options around like Aaron Martin from Mainz.

Dalot and Laird are players I am really excited about, but as long as they aren't ready, we are forced to play Valencia, Darmian and Young there, which simply isn't good enough. We cannot afford to wait on them either. I am hoping we bring in a RB, if he gets eventually displaced by Dalot or Laird, great, and we then could sell that player again, hopefully for a profit.

If we play regularly with a system that has a RW in it, which all our managers post Ferguson have done, then I don't think that player needs to be a classical winger. Those hardly exist anymore anyway.
Regarding Dalot, I think he's played two games against Derby in the League Cup and the away game against Young Boys in the UCL, and he looks the best prospect at the club at RB currently and needs to be given a chance to cement his place in the team.

Hopefully he can stay injury free for the rest of the season and we don't need to sign another RB.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
6-7 top class first team players. Absolute minimum. Prob closer to 8 really.

I can assure you that we won’t get even half of what we need.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We need a director of football and a new manager willing to play a different style of football but more importantly a winning style. A manager not picking fights with every fecker including his own players.

Then we need a steady stream of players in and out over a 2 or 3 year period because we are nowhere near the required standard in terms of Talent. In that time hopefully a few youth lads get a chance also.

Zlatattack

New manager? :)
Bingo.

I think we need an attack minded manager first and foremost. Also a DoF is essential to getting some continuity at the club.

Then we need a RW, RB, CDM and CB.

A lot of people slating Lukaku, rightfully so - he's in terrible form, but I don't think our tactics really help. The pressure the manager is putting on our young attacking players doesn't do them any favours either. I thought third season syndrome was a myth - it's not.

red4ever 79

DOF
Manager who will coach the players and improve the players we have. Must have an attacking mentality
Identify which players are out of contract and cut the chord on the ones that havent performed.
Sign a CB, RW and a Striker asap

bucky

Regarding Dalot, I think he's played two games against Derby in the League Cup and the away game against Young Boys in the UCL, and he looks the best prospect at the club at RB currently and needs to be given a chance to cement his place in the team.

Hopefully he can stay injury free for the rest of the season and we don't need to sign another RB.
Still doesn't change that Valencia, Young and Darmian shouldn't start as many games as they do. More competition for every spot wouldn't hurt anybody. Madrid have Carvajal and Odriozola for right-back, they loaned out Hakimi. That's what we need in terms of personnel as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Still doesn't change that Valencia, Young and Darmian shouldn't start as many games as they do. More competition for every spot wouldn't hurt anybody. Madrid have Carvajal and Odriozola for right-back, they loaned out Hakimi. That's what we need in terms of personnel as well.
Squad depth is important for sure but we shouldn't be at looking throwing money away when we already have a hot prospect for the position in Diogo Dalot and Ethan Laird who looks a brilliant young RB from our youth. Too many people playing FM manager and losing sight of the huge talent we already have at the club in Dalot.

We need a few windows to sort out the squad and I would look to reinforce the first 11 with two cm's, RW and a CB to start with. Hopefully Eddie Howe or Poch will be in charge by then..

Bojan11

Considering todays events, I would say nobody now. No point spending any money in January.

Dazzmondo

We need quite a lot. Not sure how we spread it over Jan and summer but we need 2 starting cbs, a starting rb, a backup/starting lb, a starting dm, and a striker who is comfortable dropping deep and playing in overlapping wingers/strikers.

slir32

I would take Koulibaly this January. That would be one less player we need to buy in the summer.

Jacob

No interim manager will be allowed to sign in January, quite sure of that.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
This is what confuses me. Will the caretaker manager have a say on January? Will we have a DOF before then that will make the decision?

FromTheBench

This is what confuses me. Will the caretaker manager have a say on January? Will we have a DOF before then that will make the decision?
Interim manager would obviously have a say but it'd mostly be Woodward based on scouts recommendations I guess.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Jason Sancho and Ryan Ssengengnon should be bought at all costs.
I agree about Sancho. He's a must. Not sure about Sessegnon, he'd be a very good attacking option for LB/Wingback but he won't displace Martial. Think he's a player that if we didn't have Martial we'd jump on but not a priority right now. I worry that if we bring in too many attacking options all it means is Chong/Greenwood wont get as many chances. I think we should be thinking of squad with our talented kids in mind because some of them will 100% make the jump up. Signing players that reduce their chances seems counter productive.

For me, id want our new Manager to come in. Have a very specific formation in mind and then invest in players that fit that plan. Rather than our current strategy which seems to be signing players and then worrying about formation/strategy afterwards.

Dazzmondo

I agree about Sancho. He's a must. Not sure about Sessegnon, he'd be a very good attacking option for LB/Wingback but he won't displace Martial. Think he's a player that if we didn't have Martial we'd jump on but not a priority right now. I worry that if we bring in too many attacking options all it means is Chong/Greenwood wont get as many chances. I think we should be thinking of squad with our talented kids in mind because some of them will 100% make the jump up. Signing players that reduce their chances seems counter productive.

For me, id want our new Manager to come in. Have a very specific formation in mind and then invest in players that fit that plan. Rather than our current strategy which seems to be signing players and then worrying about formation/strategy afterwards.
Why would we pay a fortune for Sancho when we have Martial and Rashford for the same position? Sessegnon hasn't even shown himself to be good enough to keep his place in the Fulham starting XI

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's hold off to see how the same players play when they've lost the dark cloud over them.
We might not need to replace as many as everyone thinks.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Now that Mourinho is gone I'd like to see an actual baller in midfield, not someone whose main attribute is strength or height, an actual quality baller with an unmatched technical skill.

jesperjaap

I doubt we will do much in January, but I hope the next manager has big balls in the transfer market and is backed OUTGOING wise especially. Personally good reasons and wouldnt be sad to see the back of most of Darmian, Valencia, Young, Rojo, Jones, Lindelof, Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera, Fred, McTominay, Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez.

Id also like to see Rashford and Martial swapped, so Martial up front and RAshdord out wide as think both would be or effective that way round. Id like to see Greenwood and Gomez bought into the first team squad too along with Perreira.

Signings wise I think we NEED two centre backs, three central midfielders and another attacking player too. Id like us to sign a couple more as well.

Koulibaly in defence, Ascacibar as the defensive midfielder and Ndombele to partner him would be the three players I would absolutely love as the main signings anyway.

As for young English signings, not sure they are what we need unless Dalot moves to the left but I really like Wan Bissaka at Palace and Jadon Sancho to play on the right possibly? They are the two that stand out for me as United quality English players anyway

Bwuk

Unless a new manager is announced before then and has talks with Woodward, I doubt we’ll buy anyone.

freeurmind

weak willed
At least 1 top class centre back
Back up left back/competition for Shaw
Deep midfield playmaker

L1nk

What i find interesting about this now is how I think our transfer strategy will flip 100%, i certainly can't see us being in for players like Perisic and Willian now, and are more likely to target players like Pulisic and Sancho, whether they are gettable is another thing altogether however.

What's clear in what needs to happen is we need to ship players out, the only position I would say we could buy right now without question is RW, everywhere else I think players need shipping out first. We've got 5 centre backs for 2 (maybe 3) positions for example, it's stupid for us to keep buying and not shipping out, this is only part of the reason we need a DoF, to stop gifting stupid contracts with stupid wages to average at best players that don't deserve them, meaning that we cannot then get rid afterwards.

Keeper

Not much needed to be said here, if we can keep hold of De Gea & Romero then we will be set, personally didn't see the need to sign Lee Grant but whatever, i would like to see Pereira make the step up personally but that depends on say, if Romero feels he wants to be first choice elsewhere, and IF De Gea does want to leave, well, we cross that bridge when we come to it.

Defense

CB's - Now with Smalling getting a new contract I don't see him leaving, unfortunately, because personally I would get rid after all this time, Jones & Rojo definitely need to be shipped out without a shadow of a doubt, Lindelof and Bailly should get a chance to prove themselves and Tuanzebe should be brought back into the fold. We are left with 4 CB's then, which is still a high amount, so you have to wonder what we will do, because there is no point in buying, say, another 2 and having 6 players for what will most likely be 2 positions.

Out - Jones, Rojo, Smalling (ideally)
In - Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe. Sign somebody like Koulibaly, possibly Romagnoli, Milenkovic or De Ligt.
Ideal - Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe, De Ligt, Koulibaly

FB's - For me this is simple, Keep Shaw and Dalot, absolutely get rid of Young, Valencia & Darmian, my only worry is that with Mourinho gone Valencia might still somehow cling to life in that squad, just don't renew their contracts, we will barely get anything for Young & Valencia anyway, perhaps maybe you can make a case for giving Darmian a new contract because you may get some money for him, but definitely get rid.

Out - Young, Valencia, Darmian
In - Shaw, Dalot. I would sign perhaps Tierney and maybe somebody like Meunier, Florenzi or even Lars Bender to give us a few years and let Dalot learn and settle, but that's questionable
Ideal - Shaw, Dalot, Tierney, Meunier

Midfield

Gonna keep this strictly to Central Midfielders, including what I consider to be Attacking Midfielders (or Number 10's if you will). Needs a bit of a overhaul, in the sense that players like Fellaini should finally be moved on and not considered part of this setup. I reserve judgement on Fred because he's hardly played, it's impossible to make a true judgement on his ability and until this has happened I can't say that we should already cut our losses, cause that would be dumb. I want to give Pereira the benefit of the doubt for at least a season too. However, I am 100% in the realm of getting rid of Lingard, and whilst I love Mata, i'm torn on whether we should move on or keep him... Same with Herrera, i love the guy but is he truly up to the standard we require..

Out -
Fellaini, Matic, McTominay, Lingard, Mata (maybe), Herrera (maybe)
In - Pogba, Fred, Pereira. Now I would suggest absolutely signing Ruben Neves, a baller like Frenkie De Jong, and then depending on what happens with say Herrera or Mata, we could get get Ramsey on a free
Ideal - Pogba, Fred, Pereira, Ruben Neves, Herrera/Ramsey, Frenkie De Jong

Attack

Wingers and Forwards, Keep Martial & Rashford, bin off Lukaku and Sanchez.

Out - Lukaku, Sanchez
In - Rashford, Martial. I would sign maybe 2/3 players here, perhaps Pulisic or Lozano for the right, and I would absolutely sign Timo Werner if possible.
Ideal - Martial, Rashford, Pulisic, Werner

Then also think about bringing in players from the youth like Mason and such. Of course is this realistic? and realistic this coming summer? No probably not, but it's the kind of thing we should be doing over the next few seasons if at all possible.

Nick.

Ruben Neves and Kalidou Koulibaly would be a good start in my opinion. We need to replace Matic for sure but I don't know if Neves should be the guy playing beside the replacement, or the replacement himself. He doesn't strike me as the type to sit in front of the back four all game but I haven't seen much of him. Also I feel like Kieran Tierney would be better than Shaw. Shaw has improved this season, but he still isn't a patch on somebody like Andy Robertson and I just don't trust him anymore. I also think Lukaku isn't good enough but we can't uproot the whole team in one window.

At least get rid if Jones, Rojo, Darmian and either Young or Valencia. That would help a lot.

poleglass red

Unless we've a new manager for next yr already and we just can't say as he/she is in a current job, I can't see any transfer business unless of course new manager sanctions it.