What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Utdstar01

RB is arguably as crucial as our RW at the minute. It's no coincidence that in our last 2 games that while AWB has been dreadful, Greenwood has been completely isolated and had 2 of his quietest games. I hope Laird can step up.

croadyman

RB is arguably as crucial as our RW at the minute. It's no coincidence that in our last 2 games that while AWB has been dreadful, Greenwood has been completely isolated and had 2 of his quietest games. I hope Laird can step up.
Think he can play both sides but apparently there is concerns about him being a bit injury prone.

Utdstar01

Think he can play both sides but apparently there is concerns about him being a bit injury prone.
Still growing into his body and he said in a recent interview that he felt he rushed back from his last muscle injury and aggravated it. He's eager to impress and has a top mentality from what i've read and heard so lets hope he gets some rub of the green.

diarm

Wan-Bissaka has been exhausted. Not sure what Dalot has done to Ole but the fact AWB has had to play every single minute has taken a huge toll on the lad. As you say, hopefully Laird can have a breakthrough impact in much the same way Williams has.

Utdstar01

Wan-Bissaka has been exhausted. Not sure what Dalot has done to Ole but the fact AWB has had to play every single minute has taken a huge toll on the lad. As you say, hopefully Laird can have a breakthrough impact in much the same way Williams has.
It could be tiredness. It could be telling once Laird settles how much of a difference he could make to our attack. I'm unsure as to how much Wan Bissaka can improve offensively.

diarm

It could be tiredness. It could be telling once Laird settles how much of a difference he could make to our attack. I'm unsure as to how much Wan Bissaka can improve offensively.
The first few games back after lockdown, I thought Wan-Bissaka contributed really effectively in attack. He needs to work on his passing in build up play, but on the overlap and with his crossing he's been hugely improved.

Think he had 2 or 3 assists with good play in attack and that cross for Rashfords disallowed goal was sumptuous.

jesperjaap

Yes Bissaka has been very poor the last three games, a drop in form. I dont think that makes it a crucial area to address though. ALthough he needs to improve going forward (which he has shown signs of since the lockdown), he has been excellent defensivel most of the season and as you mention Laird is also coming through. SO for m it is quite th eopposite, personally I would sell Dalot to give us more fnances to strengthen in the areas that are important as in our current situation I would argue its probably the last crucial area to address in reality

RORY65

I've felt concern all season about the talk coming out of the club that they've sorted out the recruitment issues and the signings this season prove that. We spent £150m in the summer on James, Maguire and AWB (who I really like but still has improving to do, especially going forward). That's a lot of money that I'm not sure has been that successful while we could have got Bruno but thought he gave the ball away too much and even when we changed our minds on that we weren't proactive, he could have been in ready to go on 1st January but instead it dragged on all month.

I think we will get Sancho if we make top 4 but I can imagine that being similarly protracted, I do hope that the club are looking at further depth in attacking midfield and a really high quality centre back too (that won't fix all the issues in the squad but the most pressing while others will have to wait).

jesperjaap

Contrary popular we are back stuff from fans and pundits, we still need a lot in my opinion. A lot of positives from this season progression wise, but a mile away still.

Our first team....

GK - A worry
CB - Maguire not good enough to be the main cb and nobody has stepped up to be a decent partner for him, partly due to injuries. I think we need to sig a quality cb for Maguire to partner. Said we needed TWO last summer and nothing has changed my opnion this year
DM - Matic has been good the last few months, but his form leading up to that was woeful for a while, so not 100% confident in him for next season being another year older. And Mctominay and Fred really are more replacements for Pogbas role, so do we need both of them?
AM - There is nobody good enough to play Fernandes role if he is out, that is why he isnt getting rested. Perreira and Mata now are simply not good enough.
LW/RW - Who is our cover Lingard or James really. Lingard looks to be moving on and James certainly should be, he isnt a premiership player in the making my opnion let alone a Man utd squad player
CF - Ighalo is only here until January

GK I really dont know what he should do. Henderson isnt ready to me but he wouldnt do much worse than DeGea either in his current form. If there is a decent offer for DeGea which I dont see where it comes fro bar maybe Juve, I would consider it now to be able to improve other areas.

CB - JOnes, Smalling, Rojo all to go and Menghi to take the squad place. We then need to sign a quality centre back to be the main man as a partner for Maguire. Hopefully over the season Tuanzabe/Menghi can step up and allow us to sell either or both of Bailly/Lindelof who for different reasons I dont see as good enough either

DM - Fred has improved a lot this season but as mentioned before, do we need both him and Mctominay when they are really more cover for Pogbas role, especially with Mjebri possibly breakign thorugh next year. I would probably sell Fred along with Perreira to raise funds for a dm to challenge Matic

LW/RW - Well I see Greenwood more as a striker bu he covers the right but for me I would sign Grealish AND Sancho as priorities. Then we have competition on both flanks as well as cover for Fernandes and even additional cover for Pogba. A huge outlay but I think its gives us squad depth for all of our attacking positions that we severely lack as mentioned. Lingard, James and Mata to go for me

CF - Martial and Greenwood is fine for me personally if we get the lw/rw reinforcements

So out
DeGea maybe
JOnes definately
Smalling definately
Rojo definately
Dalot defintately
Perreira definately
Fred maybe
Lingard definately
Mata definately
James (well he isnt going is he but for me definately should be, I bet he isnt here by 2022/2023 season)

As for the ins, my choices if at all possible would be from

CB - ROmagnoli/Konate/Upamecano
DM - Camavinga/Soumare/Tonali/VDB
Grealish
SAncho

Of course, looking at probably about £250m outlay there, which is why we need to sell but 9/10 out and just 4 in isnt so bad. Henderson/Menghi/Laird/Mjebri adds another 4 players to that so really its only trimming a player or two from the squad.

Devil may care

Always dangerous to kneejerk after a crap performance.

Sancho
Holding midfielder
CB

Should see us level up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm all up for Sancho but if resources dedicated towards him cuts our ability to reach deep for a quality center back, I'd be pretty pissed. We need a top center back in the summer desperately.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
First XI finally looking pretty good, more worried about the supporting cast after that game.

E-mal

How good is Ethan Laird with the ball at his feet? Its time to give him time seeing we wont be able to spend another 60m on a right back. Tired of seeing Bambi on ice handle the ball. Goodness what an eyesore!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Today only shows how putting all our eggs in the Sancho basket in just not wise. He's a tremendous player but we badly need 3 or 4 in. The squad just isn't good enough.

We need a CB, another fullback, a DM to rotate in with Matic and a winger. Sancho could be that winger but he would cost that much I doubt we get anyone else in.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How good is Ethan Laird with the ball at his feet? Its time to give him time seeing we wont be able to spend another 60m on a right back. Tired of seeing Bambi on ice handle the ball. Goodness what an eyesore!
He's a lot better on the ball than spider legs that's for sure. But his time will come soon enough. Big hopes for him at the club.

spiriticon

It seems we really do need another CB hahahahah

Feck Sancho... let's just buy 2 CBs so we're good for the season after as well.

arnie_ni

He's not even defending well, its leggy. Needs a break after these final 2 games. Wouldnt play him in europa until the final if we get there

arnie_ni

Today only shows how putting all our eggs in the Sancho basket in just not wise. He's a tremendous player but we badly need 3 or 4 in. The squad just isn't good enough.

We need a CB, another fullback, a DM to rotate in with Matic and a winger. Sancho could be that winger but he would cost that much I doubt we get anyone else in.
There's decent players that can be bought for decent money if we sell a few.

Smalling
Jones
Mata
Jesse
Andreas
Dalot
Sanchez

Thats close to 70mil there.

Thats grealish and thiago for example.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Dean Henderson and Ethan Laird for a start, that’s before going into the market. Laird will of course be more gradual, but he’s Greenwood level for me. If Tuanzebe can deliver on his much discussed potential that would be massive too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's decent players that can be bought for decent money if we sell a few.

Smalling
Jones
Mata
Jesse
Andreas
Dalot
Sanchez

Thats close to 70mil there.

Thats grealish and thiago for example.
Its easy selling players on redcafe. Try doing it in real life when they are all on more wages than they are actually worth.

Only player you listed I'm confident will go for reasonable money is Smalling and he's arguably the one who should be staying too given the form of our CB's.

Nori-

We need to be more cut throat with who's good enough to play for us. It's never ending excuses for mediocre players. A lot of us are in a Man United bubble and can't see how bad some of these players are. Apart from the usual names of who should go (Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Sanchez etc), I'd add the following;

Fred (Sell) - How does he actually improve the team? This mythical great spell he had earlier this season consisted of him managing to finally put some passes together. Offers zero threat to the opposition and very easily shrugged off the ball. So many needless mistakes all the time from him.

Shaw (Sell) - He's been a "looks good recently" player for about 5 years now. I don't think he'll ever reach the level we need. Add to that he's always injured. Very unreliable. Chilwell is available. Don't think twice about it, sign him and sell Shaw.

James (Loan) - Started so well for us, got a few goals but like an invisible player recently. Runs around like a headless chicken. I think he's just lacking major confidence. I would loan him out, it would do him some good.

Martial - I keep saying it, he needs top competition for his position. If you look at his form over a season (not just the last few weeks) he's inconsistent. Ighalo isn't a world class replacement for when Martial gets injured. Also, this theory that we have Rashford/Greenwood etc to play upfront if Martial gets injured makes no sense, Rashford has his own position he will be busy playing in and will need rest at some point. Greenwood? He's 18, lets him take his time and grow, we don't need to put the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree but like I said, years of persisting with over rated players doesn't get you anywhere. Madrid give you a season or two MAX to perform, if you don't, you're gone and look how regularly they win things.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
A real striker ( If you to be on top you need depth, you need quality options )
Sancho
one of vdB/ Thiago/Tolisso
Boateng , Upamecano

Many people here probably don't rate Boateng. But he solves many problems immediately in the defence. He is experienced, still fast ( used to be faster though ), amazing on the ball, and most importanly he could help Bruno ( + midfield ) when he gets pressed since his passing and transition game is one of the best from any CBs. Modern top football teams needs this type of CB and in 2020 , there is still nobody with this quality. Actually shocking that a CB with passing was never prioritized.

Stop buying " squad quality players". We should get top quality on the pitch and bench. Every player has to compete for his place in the starting eleven making every player getting to their limits.

Skåre Willoch

Sancho still the obvious one for me, even if it means not buying anyone else.

Promote Laird and Garner, and try to give them some minutes as subs (and early stage cup games) early in the season.
Tuanzebe should be kept as the third coice CB as well, with the possibility to prove himself as a starter. Tremendous potential if he can stay healthy. If not, move on after next season.

Mengi and Mejbri, maybe. I don't know. Probably a bit to soon for both.

If money allows signing more players than Sancho, DM and CB should be the priority in my opinion (as well as everyone else, it seems).

ILC

Jones, Bailly, Alexis, Smalling, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Romero OUT.

Swap Dalot for Semedo from Barcelona. He doesn't want to renew with them, they've been open to selling and have interest in Dalot from before. Pay the difference of course.

IN: Partey 50m release clause, Cavani and Thiago Silva for free, Alex Sandro 40m (Telles, Grimaldo, Alaba for similar money also there), Koulibaly 80m. Tolisso on loan w option to buy or 20-30m outright. Moutinho wouldn't be expensive I guess. Or some other more creative midfielder like that. Top manager (Allegri) IN of course.

All of this isn't more than 200m, net spend even lower with sales.

De Gea
Semedo-Silva-Koulibaly-Sandro
Partey-Matić-Pogba
Bruno
Cavani-Martial
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Henderson
AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
Tolisso
McTominay-Moutinho
James-------------------------Rashford
Greenwood​

Then next summer pay up for someone like Ruben Neves for example to replace Matić and another top class CB to replace Thiago Silva. In two years under Cavani's mentorship Mason will be unstoppable too.

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Romero OUT.

Swap Dalot for Semedo from Barcelona. He doesn't want to renew with them, they've been open to selling and have interest in Dalot from before. Pay the difference of course.

IN: Partey 50m release clause, Cavani and Thiago Silva for free, Alex Sandro 40m (Telles, Grimaldo, Alaba for similar money also there), Koulibaly 80m. Tolisso on loan w option to buy or 20-30m outright. Moutinho wouldn't be expensive I guess. Or some other more creative midfielder like that. Top manager (Allegri) IN of course.

De Gea
Partey-Matić-Pogba
Bruno
Cavani-Martial
Henderson
Tolisso
McTominay-Moutinho
Greenwood​

Then next summer pay up for someone like Ruben Neves for example to replace Matić and another top class CB to replace Thiago Silva. In two years under Cavani's mentorship Mason will be unstoppable too.

Cavani and Thiago Silva? I'm sorry, but I can't think of players I want less, to be honest.

8 signings, 4 of which are defenders. Two is turning 34 next season and one is turning 36.

Come on, man. We're not trying to build a retirment home, are we?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sancho still the obvious one for me, even if it means not buying anyone else.

Promote Laird and Garner, and try to give them some minutes as subs (and early stage cup games) early in the season.
Tuanzebe should be kept as the third coice CB as well, with the possibility to prove himself as a starter. Tremendous potential if he can stay healthy. If not, move on after next season.

Mengi and Mejbri, maybe. I don't know. Probably a bit to soon for both.

If money allows signing more players than Sancho, DM and CB should be the priority in my opinion (as well as everyone else, it seems).
See this makes no sense. Why on earth would you bolster the area on the pitch where we are already competing with the best? If it comes to a situation where funds to Sancho means less towards defenders, I'd pass on him this summer. We need a proper center back desperately. Far far more desperately than we need a player like Sancho.

sp_107

Thiago(29) or Pogba(27), Which one you prefer in 8 role ?

I am tending towards Thiago for the way he controls the match

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Fred, Romero OUT.

De Gea
Partey-Matić-Pogba
Bruno
Cavani-Martial
Henderson
Tolisso
McTominay-Moutinho
Greenwood​

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is just a masterpiece in science fiction.

sp_107

First get rid of Alexis, Lingard, Mata, Perrera, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Lindelof ==thats 8 in total and then try adding few quality one's in their place.

Lindelof is a good one but he must play in Italy or Spain and we can get minimum 30mil for him from the likes of Barca, Milan

Skåre Willoch

See this makes no sense. Why on earth would you bolster the area on the pitch where we are already competing with the best? If it comes to a situation where funds to Sancho means less towards defenders, I'd pass on him this summer. We need a proper center back desperately. Far far more desperately than we need a player like Sancho.
I disagree.

Players like Sancho are almost never available, and when they are, we should be all over them. Right now we have Greenwood (who should be playing more as a 9) and Dan James for the RW. That's not competing with the best. 4 players (Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and Sancho) for competing for the 3 spots up front is competing with the best, and even then we need one more (squad option = Ighalo replacement) in my opinion.

I agree we need a better CB. But in my opinion, when/if Sancho is available, we simply have to go for him.

If we can't buy two players, get rid of all deadwood, keep Smalling and try to play Tuanzebe.