What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

gorky_utd

For me the absolute minimum is,
In: Sarr 35m,Telles 15m.
Out: Smalling 15m, James 15m, Romero 5m (Rojo, Jones, Pereira free if possible).

Champagne Football

A right winger and a left back will be fine.

De Beek, Sancho and Telles would be a phenomenal transfer window.

Tuanzebe can hopefully stay fit and eventually partner Maguire.

We'd be well set for the season if we can land 2 more.

croadyman

A right winger and a left back will be fine.

De Beek, Sancho and Telles would be a phenomenal transfer window.

Tuanzebe can hopefully stay fit and eventually partner Maguire.

We'd be well set for the season if we can land 2 more.
Still worry about what happens at DM if Matic got an injury while the window is shut,got my fingers crossed that Axel & Eric can also somehow stay fit for the rest of the season

Ronaldo's Love Child

Still worry about what happens at DM if Matic got an injury while the window is shut,got my fingers crossed that Axel & Eric can also somehow stay fit for the rest of the season
I remember the Fergie years where he would play players out of position and they would make a good fist out of it. P Neville in midfield, Giggs in the middle, even OGS on the right wing after Beck left. We don't seem to have that flexibility anymore.

Could Jones not play the Matic role given time?

starman

I remember the Fergie years where he would play players out of position and they would make a good fist out of it. P Neville in midfield, Giggs in the middle, even OGS on the right wing after Beck left. We don't seem to have that flexibility anymore.

Fergie often played him in midfield, and he got some outlandish comparison's from it, but that's when had his athleticism, his legs are shot now.

wolvored

:lol: He would trip himself up and be injured for the next 6 months. We might as well play McTom or Fred there or play Bailley CD and try Lindelof there. He can pass a ball.

Devil may care

I think at least 95% of us want United to sign Sancho this window, and right now getting him and Telles looks to be the very best we can hope for, and our depth for the front 3 is completely void of depth, but the starting trio are really gelling into an exciting combination, they are the strongest link in our best starting 11.

On the other hand we have an £85m CB that has to play, and while we have 3 options to play with him and compliment his flaws, 2 of them are injury prone and Axel is also unproven at the top level, the 3rd is a kid who hasn't played a single minute or competitive senior football.

In midfield we only have one holder for the double pivot and he has his qualities but he's slow and immobile, he needs a runner beside him and runs out of steam after 6 or 7 games, then we have Pogba who can only operate in a double pivot if he's got a ball winning ground coverer next to him like Vidal or Kante, which is when he's shone brightest, Fred is a box to box CM who can only do part of the job with Pogba while Van de Beek is more Pogba/Bruno cover than a partner, McTominay simply isn't good enough to be anything but a squad player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
New manager. New owners. New scouting team/transfer team. New CB's (full sweep - get rid of all of them minus Mengi to be 5th, get a new group of 4). New right back. New DM who can balance the rest. Pogba out and Van de Beek start to get a balanced midfield. RW in.

Pretty much ^. Obviously not happening. Maguire can be decent enough but in no circumstances should he be the main CB. The rest are all garbage.

MrSingh2002

The joke is there's no news about signing a centre back. Were not even linked with anyone after a smoking today. 2nd loss out of 3 games.

CR1

Aside from Cavani and Telles who seem to be sewn up:

A left-footed CB
Tariq Lamptey
A CDM/DLP
Amad Traoré
Sancho or Sarr
Erling Haaland

MrSingh2002

Outgoings wise we still need to sell Smalling, Rojo and Jones. James if we're going to sign Pellestri.

Incomings wise we still need a centre back and Sancho.

Im hoping for a CB, Sancho and Pellestri

Out Smalling, Rojo, Jones and James.

Its funny because we're probably selling our best centreback but I don't mind as I've had enough of him too.

TehRed

I really can't work out why we aren't being linked to/actively chasing any CBs at the moment, and allowing Smalling to leave still, given the recent results.

Sure, chase Sancho still. Get Cavani and Telles done. But for the love of all that is holy, everyone can see we need at least one starting CB.

croadyman

UPAMECANO tomorrow just pay whatever it takes and despite the injury concerns go and get Dembele. Yes of course we should be buying Sancho but let's face it these first few games have shown just how utterly diabolical we are at the back and cannot afford both players.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

The more terrifying thing for me is the lack of a credible link for a DM. Fred and McT aren’t fits for the role and Matic moves slower than continental drift!

This is why our defence gets exposed too much and again nothing done about it.

croadyman

The more terrifying thing for me is the lack of a credible link for a DM. Fred and McT aren’t fits for the role and Matic moves slower than continental drift!

This is why our defence gets exposed too much and again nothing done about it.
Yeah why aren't we going after Partey, I appreciate he isn't a natural DM but he at least has defensive capabilities.

The Irish Connection

Either get the owners and Woodward out or move ole into director of football role and hire pochetinno, for the sole reason that he’s a coach who can get a lot out of minimal squad investment. I don’t know anymore to be honest :confused:

croadyman

I keep changing my mind about top priority out of CB, RW & DM. Quite honestly a properly run club signs all three but then we aren't that

Deery

Dreary
I honestly don’t know anymore new manager, new players, new coaches, new board, new owners? I don’t know.

Jeffthered

It's more than players. We buy players..AWB, Maguire, Fernandes, Ven Der Beek (who I feel sorry for..)... and that's just OGS. What we need is a reset, throughout the structure of the club. Man Utd have spent almost a billion since Fergie moved on. OGS has been given money.

But look at how we 'play'. Is there desire, because he always seems to say that he doesn't doubt the players. Maybe they doubt him. because something isn't right... Cavani will not change that, Sancho will not change that.

There is a cultural issue at Man Utd, an apathy, a loss of direction, focus, drive. From Boardroom, and this is sometimes compounded by Managers. And it's a disaster. We could buy Messi and Ronaldo, and we still would look pretty much the same. Some outstanding games and moments.. but many pretty mediocre and average performances too. That's how I see our season. Nothing will change in this current structure.

Last edited:

croadyman

I honestly don’t know anymore new manager, new players, new coaches, new board, new owners? I don’t know.
Yeah if only we could rip up the whole organisation and reset but unfortunately there is no one with a spare 5 bn to buy the club

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Our back 4 aren’t as bad as they have played in the last three league games. Telles will improve us immediately and AWB is clearly just getting back to full fitness. Maguire has fallen off a cliff and if we are to panic buy somebody tomorrow can it please be a half decent centre half to replace him. Any additions in mf and upfront are always welcome but our team is currently like a house without foundations. A strong gust of wind just knocks it over.

croadyman

Our back 4 aren’t as bad as they have played in the last three league games. Telles will improve us immediately and AWB is clearly just getting back to full fitness. Maguire has fallen off a cliff and if we are to panic buy somebody tomorrow can it please be a half decent centre half to replace him. Any additions in mf and upfront are always welcome but our team is currently like a house without foundations. A strong gust of wind just knocks it over.
Who is gettable at CB later today realistically

sp_107

Every one take a paper and start writing down first teamers who are really great===Then you will understand.

We spent 700M+ but in the end our best players are DDG from SAF period and Rashford/Greenwood from academy.

Pathetic 7 years spending.....

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who is gettable at CB later today realistically
I know, nobody.

The club has bet the lot on Maguire and lost big time.

We literally do not have one competent centre half at the club with the possible exception of Tuanzebe who is constantly injured. (And I’m clutching at straws with him as well tbh)

croadyman

I know, nobody.

The club has bet the lot on Maguire and lost big time.

We literally do not have one competent centre half at the club with the possible exception of Tuanzebe who is constantly injured. (And I’m clutching at straws with him as well tbh)
Yeah if there was any truth in this Matvienko rumour should get him and then bring in Upamecano next summer.

Yes I know that isn't good enough but think that's the best we can hope for at this late stage.

Roboc7

If we want to play a higher line and push fullbacks forward we need a new back four to go with DM, STand RW we already need.

Ole has blown 130m on two defenders that don’t fit his style of play. They’ll both end up on the bench or sold off for huge loss.

croadyman

If we want to play a higher line and push fullbacks forward we need a new back four to go with DM, STand RW we already need.

Ole has blown 130m on two defenders that don’t fit his style of play. They’ll both end up on the bench or sold off for huge loss.
Yeah its scary we still need major central defensive surgery and lets not forget a mobile DM/DLP as well.

Can't help thinking they are needed more than a RW looking at our season so far which I know some people will think it's mad.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Assume Telles and Cavani is joining us, we still need:
1. 2 CB
2. DM
3. RWF