What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Deery

Dreary
If we want to play a higher line and push fullbacks forward we need a new back four to go with DM, STand RW we already need.

Ole has blown 130m on two defenders that don’t fit his style of play. They’ll both end up on the bench or sold off for huge loss.
Seems to be a common theme that we lack pace in key areas of the pitch Maguire, Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba, Matic even Martial seems sluggish and now Cavani to add to it.
If you look around other teams they’re built around speed and legs, we’ve just got decent players but no press, no speed, no hardwork.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's not simply players. We've bought dozens in the last 7 years and we are still crap.

We need to rip up the club structure and start again.

acrebo

I remember a few years back when the buzzword used for our inability to sign a central midfielder was ‘negligent’.

Not getting in an established right winger, despite that clearly being our priority throughout this entire window, is horrendously negligent.

croadyman

I remember a few years back when the buzzword used for our inability to sign a central midfielder was ‘negligent’.

Not getting in an established right winger, despite that clearly being our priority throughout this entire window, is horrendously negligent.
Yeah it's so reminiscent of that except now we haven't Fergie's genius to mask the problem

Devil may care

I think the biggest take away from yesterday's game was how much better we looked with a more mobile, high energy midfield, it aided the back 4 with protection and the front 4 with more freedom. The thing now is to have that but with more quality on the ball, Fred and McTominay are solid squad players and I think Pogba will be off in the summer so room and funds shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to our games against Leipzig as they have two CB options we are surely monitoring and we have quality forwards to test them up close across two games. Maguire is obviously going to be a permanent fixture for the foreseeable future so we need a partner who compliments him. I don't think Bailly will ever be reliable and Axel remains untested given his injury record which also can't be ignored, so we need at least 1 CB added.

I think the Sancho saga is over with so we might add a squad attacker but reckon the focus will be defense and midfield, personally I'd look to ship out Matic as well and add 2 midfielders to Fred, McTominay and Van de Beek but that's asking too much of our board. Camavinga should be the prime midfield target despite his age, other options I like are Bruno Guimares and Zakaria, with the latter we'll have to see how he's recovered from his injury.
The PL based options will be stupidly priced as usual and Rice and Ndidi aren't good enough on the ball for me, although I am interested to get a better look at Kalvin Phillips tomorrow.

arthurka

I think the biggest take away from yesterday's game was how much better we looked with a more mobile, high energy midfield, it aided the back 4 with protection and the front 4 with more freedom. The thing now is to have that but with more quality on the ball, Fred and McTominay are solid squad players and I think Pogba will be off in the summer so room and funds shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to our games against Leipzig as they have two CB options we are surely monitoring and we have quality forwards to test them up close across two games. Maguire is obviously going to be a permanent fixture for the foreseeable future so we need a partner who compliments him. I don't think Bailly will ever be reliable and Axel remains untested given his injury record which also can't be ignored, so we need at least 1 CB added.

I think the Sancho saga is over with so we might add a squad attacker but reckon the focus will be defense and midfield, personally I'd look to ship out Matic as well and add 2 midfielders to Fred, McTominay and Van de Beek but that's asking too much of our board. Camavinga should be the prime midfield target despite his age, other options I like are Bruno Guimares and Zakaria, with the latter we'll have to see how he's recovered from his injury.
The PL based options will be stupidly priced as usual and Rice and Ndidi aren't good enough on the ball for me, although I am interested to get a better look at Kalvin Phillips tomorrow.

Would take a new striker and a RW giving Greenwood time to hone his skills both on the right and centrally.

Devil may care

Would take a new striker and a RW giving Greenwood time to hone his skills both on the right and centrally.
On top of the CB and CM? I just don't see this board getting 4 quality signings for 4 different positions, plus I think there's hope that Diallo can bring a lot to RW, allowing Mason to compete with Martial for the striker spot as well as getting RW games.

ovoxo

We definitely need a centre back. We also need a good defensive midfielder, someone like Zakaria (if he plays well following his return from injury).

However if Pogba goes, we need another midfielder imo. The signing of VDB was good to add quality and help depth. However, I expect him to start more as time goes on and become part of the first 11. So we will need to add another AM/CM to rotate with Bruno and him. A young player would be great.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
love the look of this 1st XI for next season!! That’s as good as any in the league.

let’s also hope that one of the new right wingers and Laird can break through this season, that Garner can come back Mature and improved, and if we dream crazily enough, that the club convinces Haaland to join (am doubtful).

MattofManchester

If Pogba leaves, we'll need a more well-rounded midfielder in as well as a DM. Someone that can control the game somewhat.

Bruno and VDB are both No' 10s in Solksjaer's system, and unless he changes to a 4-3-3 type, which is highly unlikely, we'll probably have to find another replacement in midfield.

So that will take us to needing a CB, RW, DM and another CM.

arthurka

On top of the CB and CM? I just don't see this board getting 4 quality signings for 4 different positions, plus I think there's hope that Diallo can bring a lot to RW, allowing Mason to compete with Martial for the striker spot as well as getting RW games.
Diallo is 18 or something no way of knowing how long that could take. But I agree with you we will never buy 4 starters I only started what I thought was missing.

Devil may care

Diallo is 18 or something no way of knowing how long that could take. But I agree with you we will never buy 4 starters I only started what I thought was missing.
I agree Diallo will need time but with him, Pellistri and Mason as options and the Sancho deal dead I wonder if we're done with wide additions now. I'm guessing Martial isn't doing it for you as our #9?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d take upamecano + konate & Haaland IF at all possible even if it meant selling pogba & Martial to partially fund it

arthurka

I agree Diallo will need time but with him, Pellistri and Mason as options and the Sancho deal dead I wonder if we're done with wide additions now. I'm guessing Martial isn't doing it for you as our #9?
You are right there, Martial isn´t doing it for me. Don´t think he is good enough.

ovoxo

I’m starting to think a left footed centre back may not be a bad idea. I think we bid for Badiashile in the summer but the manager didn’t want to let him go. He could be one to go back for if Upamecano can’t be bought.

If Pogba goes in the summer, we could go for Zakaria and bring Garner back in if he has a successful loan spell.

Either way we need a CB and CDM.

Devil may care

The financials from the past week will likely mean the Glazers will tighten the purse strings further, we need some significant offloading done over the next two windows and I think we have to sell Pogba next summer as I don't see him signing a new contract. Problem is that I'm not sure any club has the money to outright buy him, so hopefully there is some truth in the Valverde interest as a form of swap deal with Real Madrid might suit all parties. If not PSG might have some money to spunk on him, if so then Camavinga would be my chouce followed by Bruno Guimares and Zakaria, I mean truth is I want us to sign Camavinga regardless but given the circumstances it would be great if he stayed put until 2022 as he'll still only be 19 then. :nervous:

Out
Jones
Rojo
Bailly
TFM
Lingard
James
Pogba

In
Upamecano/Konate
Valverde/Camavinga/Bruno Guimares/Zakaria

leges

We still need a CB, a DM, a RW, a CF. I would go for:

Kristoffer Ajer - 25 mln £ / 30 mln €
Ruben Neves - 45 mln £ / 50 mln €
Adama Traoré - 45 mln £ / 50 mln €
Erling Haaland - 90 mln £ / 100 mln €

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Where are you getting these figures for Wolves players? Wolves were quoted as wanting over 100m for Adama

MattofManchester

Traore and Neves?

Are we trying to maintain a mid table place or improve?

leges

We need to:

Buy:
Eduardo Camavinga - 55 mln £ / 60 mln €

Sell:
Paul Pogba - 70 mln £ / 80 mln €

Get rid of :
Phil Jones and Juan Mata

Devil may care

Given Ole isn't sticking to a system it's hard to truly gauge where we'll look to strengthen. If he makes the 4-2-3-1 and refuses to use Van de Beek as a CM but starts to play him where he uses Mata I think we could be onto something. Pogba will go and I think Matic will as well, so 2 midfielders will be key. At CB I hope Axel can cement a spot this season and we start to blood Mengi in.

I know some want a striker but with Martial, Cavani and Mason I think you'll have to wait until 2022 when the Haaland saga will be center stage. If we add an attacker I remain convinced it'll be a versatile one who won't cost us a bomb.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Given Ole isn't sticking to a system it's hard to truly gauge where we'll look to strengthen. If he makes the 4-2-3-1 and refuses to use Van de Beek as a CM but starts to play him where he uses Mata I think we could be onto something. Pogba will go and I think Matic will as well, so 2 midfielders will be key. At CB I hope Axel can cement a spot this season and we start to blood Mengi in.

I know some want a striker but with Martial, Cavani and Mason I think you'll have to wait until 2022 when the Haaland saga will be center stage. If we add an attacker I remain convinced it'll be a versatile one who won't cost us a bomb.

Ahhh the old Bruno 1 - 2

Highfather_24

CB - Fast, strong and aerially dominant. Someone like a young Rio.
DM- Defensively strong, and can set the tempo of the game. Someone like Carrick/Keane.

In attack its more confusing for me, what we need. Right now we have Rashford, Greenwood, Mata and James as our wide options. And Martial and Cavani as our CFs. On first look, it seems we need more quality out wide, because Mata is on his last legs, and James is not good enough imo. Diallo is very young. But there are question marks over Martial's quality as our starting CF, and also whether Cavani will do well, or if Greenwood is going to be a CF or a RF. But we definitely need another top forward, be that be a creative player(what I'm leaning towards, because we struggle to break down defensive teams), or a CF.

Matt851

We need to:

Buy:
Eduardo Camavinga - 55 mln £ / 60 mln €

Sell:
Paul Pogba - 70 mln £ / 80 mln €

Get rid of :
Phil Jones and Juan Mata
No way anyone is paying 70m for pogba with 1 year on his contract. We would be lucky to get 30m

Devil may care

I think when Pogba goes in the summer it'll involve a player coming the other way, whether he goes to Real or Juventus.

wolvored

You wont sign Neves for £45 mill. £75-£80 mill might do it, but the glazers wont pay that. We didnt sign Haaland as he wanted a release clause so he can get to RM. That wont change. Traore is the same wont get him for £45 mill either. Dont know about Ajer.

wolvored

We need to be coached better. That would solve most, but not all of our problems.

Devil may care

I'm going to catch pelters for this as I was never on the Grealish train, but my reasoning was always that Bruno and Rashford will always start and we still hadn't addressed RW. So now I'm going to jump the gun after 2 good outings on the right from Rashford. :D

January
Alaba

Summer
Grealish
Camavinga

Crashoutcassius

I'd love to get some reasonable price for Pogba in summer and a real overhaul of the midfield. Fred, DVDB and McTom can and should continue to feature but a new play maker and a new ball winner would be great. At the moment we seem to have to choose between being stable or being creative.

There are a few different players out there that could in and be an engine for us, like Zakaria. But I'd love to see Luis Alberto come here - very few players out there with his pedigree, could be our main deep creative force and let Bruno focus on doing what he does well, contribute high up the pitch with goals and assists

Guv77

I’d take upamecano + konate & Haaland IF at all possible even if it meant selling pogba & Martial to partially fund it
I would go along with this.
Sell Pogba, Bailly, Jones and Martial.
get Upamecano, Camavinga, Sancho (or Grealish) and Haaland.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If it was my Dear Santa list I'd like to see Upamecano come in to bolster our defence and Haaland come and be our no9 (although this would be the most surprising thing of all surprises as I think he'll be awash with options come the summer). I'd leave the RW position alone at this point to allow the chance for Greenwood, Diallo and Pellistri the chance to make it.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
In:
CB: Konate (or De Ligt if Juventus want to do a player exchange for Pogba)
DM: Zakaria
Wide Forward: Grealish (or Sancho if Dortmund start being reasonable with the fee)
ST: Haaland

Out:
Pogba
Martial
Bailly
Lingard

------------------------Haaland--------------------------
Grealish------------Bruno---------------Rashford
----------------Fred--------------Zakaria--------------
Telles------Maguire-------Konate---------AWB
--------------------------DDG-----------------------------

Subs: