What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

lysglimt

Scout
Within 18 months - I expect the following players to have left the club:

Romero, either Henderson or DDG, Bailly, Williams or Shaw, Jones, Dalot, Andreas, Pogba, Mata, Matic, Ighalo, Cavani and Lingard

And that is a minimum - realistically either Tuanzebe or Lindelof might go as well- and I am not convinced Martial will stay past the summer of 22 (if OGS is still in charge)

I expect 2-3 players from our own ranks to join the first team - and I expect us to sign 5-6 new players. 1 new goalkeeper who accepts being number 2. A new central defender unless Mengi or Tuanzebe impresses so much that they cement their place in the first team. A new midfielder - a certain Rennes-player whose contract expire in 18 months would be my favourite - or maybe even Gravenberch. We need one new winger and we need one new striker. And maybe one more utility player or two in addition.

Strelok

Tbh the last few pages make me feel like I'm on a FM forum :lol:

This Jan we should feel fecking lucky if we'd get a proper RW in case Diallo is too raw, and DM/CM if Pogba leaves. If Diallo is good and Pogba doesn't leave we'll sign feck all.

Summer? well too soon. First we'll have a look at what we have by then I think.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So current update for me...

Hope to see Rashford more on the right and possibly make that spot his own. Martial on the left. Cavani rotating with Greenwood as the striker, as we need that natural goal presence, someone who will sniff out chances in the box but also capable of linking up (but generally being a pure striker). Cavani is that, Greenwood can become that. Rashford on the right of that makes it quite a balanced front 3 IMO, with Bruno as the 10. Is it maybe too attacking/goal focused of a front 4? Time will tell, but Rashford on the right takes up a more creative role and provides width which we desperately lack, and Martial on the left can have his space to link up outside of the box without leaving us light in the box. So starting wise, its good so long as Rashford Greenwood being first depth/rotation option is good as well. James/Lingard as 2nd depth fine as well. Cavani is only 1 or 2 years though, so is it a case of Greenwood stepping in as the starter up top and Martial/Rashford being fine and us needing just depth after Cavani, or will we need a striker after Cavani but Martial/Greenwood/Rashford will be fine for wings, or will striker and left wing be fine and we need a right wing because Rashford/Greenwood can't do it on the right... so a few question marks which this year with Rashford should go some way to clearing up, at least for the right wing, but otherwise might take a couple of years. Either way, if we extend Cavani, I don't think we'll sign anyone else in the front 3 til 2022 when he goes.

In defence, Telles/Shaw I think will just rotate, not convinced one is better than the other, both have their pros and cons but depth is good with that. Wan Bissaka is good and Williams/Laird/dalot even is fine for other young right backs as cover or out on loan. Center backs I think we have a mish mash of a group. Maguire is good but flawed. Lindelof is decent. Tuanzebe has shown flashes but really unproven. Rest aren't worth mentioning but clog up space. Upamecano is the obvious guy who would go a long way to sorting things out, fast, strong and aggressive, good on the ball, and just seems like a good partner for Maguire.

GK is fine with De Gea and Henderson, though I'm not sure what the near-long future looks like in terms of when Henderson takes over. Could be a while.

Bruno obvious starter as the #10 whether we do a 433 or 4231. His partners in midfield is where things get murky. I don't see any reason to keep pushing on with Pogba. He's good individually but just doesn't fit the players we have, system we want to play or even the league tbh. He wants more time on the ball and more freedom. His age and injury history and contract situation should mean he leaves next summer. That leaves Fred, McTominay, Matic and Van de Beek. I really like Van de Beek and think he can be an excellent #8 to be in a 3 with Bruno in front. But that needs the right holding mid (every team needs the right holding mid anyway). I fear we'll struggle to look properly balanced for a while unless we sort that out. McTominay isn't it, Matic is past it, Fred not good enough or not quite the right player for that either. All are decent players, but only Matic is stylistically the player that would've been good for a midfield of Matic, Bruno and VDB. All are just squad player level though, which is an issue when you have too many of those. So while Fred has done well individually, McTominay has done well individually, Matic has random good runs.... none of them really suit the midfield or are of a high enough level overall.

So if I could pick 3 players/changes next summer, priority wise I'd go:
  • CDM in - Kamavinga (sell Pogba and Matic)
  • CB in - Upamecano (sell Jones/Rojo/Bailly)
  • ST in - Haaland (replace Cavani if gone in the summer) OR
  • RW in - Sancho (if Rashford can't cut it on the right, or Diallo isn't it, or whatever else).
With only the CDM and CB being immediate priorities to address this upcoming summer.

HowYouDoin

If we could somehow steal Declan Rice under Chelsea's nose and also Grealish and we are set for the next 5 years especially assuming Mason becomes elite.

DDG
AWB Maguire Tuanzebe Telles
Rice VDB Bruno
Rashford Cavani Grealish

Sell Martial and Pogba, buy Grealish and Rice or an alternative to Rice whoever that may be but then the team is almost perfect.

Devil may care

So current update for me...

Hope to see Rashford more on the right and possibly make that spot his own. Martial on the left. Cavani rotating with Greenwood as the striker, as we need that natural goal presence, someone who will sniff out chances in the box but also capable of linking up (but generally being a pure striker). Cavani is that, Greenwood can become that. Rashford on the right of that makes it quite a balanced front 3 IMO, with Bruno as the 10. Is it maybe too attacking/goal focused of a front 4? Time will tell, but Rashford on the right takes up a more creative role and provides width which we desperately lack, and Martial on the left can have his space to link up outside of the box without leaving us light in the box. So starting wise, its good so long as Rashford Greenwood being first depth/rotation option is good as well. James/Lingard as 2nd depth fine as well. Cavani is only 1 or 2 years though, so is it a case of Greenwood stepping in as the starter up top and Martial/Rashford being fine and us needing just depth after Cavani, or will we need a striker after Cavani but Martial/Greenwood/Rashford will be fine for wings, or will striker and left wing be fine and we need a right wing because Rashford/Greenwood can't do it on the right... so a few question marks which this year with Rashford should go some way to clearing up, at least for the right wing, but otherwise might take a couple of years. Either way, if we extend Cavani, I don't think we'll sign anyone else in the front 3 til 2022 when he goes.

In defence, Telles/Shaw I think will just rotate, not convinced one is better than the other, both have their pros and cons but depth is good with that. Wan Bissaka is good and Williams/Laird/dalot even is fine for other young right backs as cover or out on loan. Center backs I think we have a mish mash of a group. Maguire is good but flawed. Lindelof is decent. Tuanzebe has shown flashes but really unproven. Rest aren't worth mentioning but clog up space. Upamecano is the obvious guy who would go a long way to sorting things out, fast, strong and aggressive, good on the ball, and just seems like a good partner for Maguire.

GK is fine with De Gea and Henderson, though I'm not sure what the near-long future looks like in terms of when Henderson takes over. Could be a while.

Bruno obvious starter as the #10 whether we do a 433 or 4231. His partners in midfield is where things get murky. I don't see any reason to keep pushing on with Pogba. He's good individually but just doesn't fit the players we have, system we want to play or even the league tbh. He wants more time on the ball and more freedom. His age and injury history and contract situation should mean he leaves next summer. That leaves Fred, McTominay, Matic and Van de Beek. I really like Van de Beek and think he can be an excellent #8 to be in a 3 with Bruno in front. But that needs the right holding mid (every team needs the right holding mid anyway). I fear we'll struggle to look properly balanced for a while unless we sort that out. McTominay isn't it, Matic is past it, Fred not good enough or not quite the right player for that either. All are decent players, but only Matic is stylistically the player that would've been good for a midfield of Matic, Bruno and VDB. All are just squad player level though, which is an issue when you have too many of those. So while Fred has done well individually, McTominay has done well individually, Matic has random good runs.... none of them really suit the midfield or are of a high enough level overall.

So if I could pick 3 players/changes next summer, priority wise I'd go:
  • CDM in - Kamavinga (sell Pogba and Matic)
  • CB in - Upamecano (sell Jones/Rojo/Bailly)
  • ST in - Haaland (replace Cavani if gone in the summer) OR
  • RW in - Sancho (if Rashford can't cut it on the right, or Diallo isn't it, or whatever else).
With only the CDM and CB being immediate priorities to address this upcoming summer.
I agree with a lot of this, I think we need to see if Rashford keeps up this positive trajectory on the right as that will inform any forward addition we make this summer imo, and we'll be hoping Pellestri and Diallo can be understudy's, which to me means the only likely addition we'd try to make for the front 4 is Grealish, as I think the question you ask about whether the front 4 needs another creative player is valid. I feel pretty sure Cavani will stay for a 2nd season which will take us to 2022 when Haaland's buyout clause kicks in.

We all have our own choices on the who but regardless I think we all agree a holding midfielder is crucial for this team.

CB is the next most immediate position we need to address, I rate Upamecano but he needs a leader next to him and I'm not convinced Maguire is that, he's best just concentrating on his own game. I'd try hard for Alaba in January.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need a centre back, a defensive midfielder, a right winger, and depending on Cavani’s status in the summer, potentially a centre forward.

it would be very unlike United to go out & buy the best in class for all 4 positions on one summer window, like Madrid, City or Chelsea would. Expect one of those positions to be a top class player ready to start & the others to either be back-ups or younger players.

I predict we’ll sign a young centre back to understudy, probably someone we’ve never heard of & then one of Declan Rice or Jadon Sancho for big money.

Sea-Cow

I reckon we need a CF regardless of Cavani's status. He can't play every game and we have no other suitable option. CF would currently be my priority along with a DM.
I go back and forth on our most pressing need, and I currently agree with you. We look totally different with a competent center forward who can lead the line and actually make the opposition CBs sweat.

My current hierarchy of needs, subject to change after WestHam tomorrow:
1) A center forward, straight up number 9. Someone who can win headers, who can hold the ball up and bring others into play, who can get on the end of crosses in the box. I have no idea who to suggest. I would have gone with Raul Jiminez if he was a few years younger. Maybe use Harry Kane as the template.
2) CDM - we need a Roy Keane / Viera clone. There a number of these available, I'm sure....
3) A winger who can play on the right or the left, but preferably the right. Someone with pace and work rate and good decision making, who can beat his man one v one and create havoc on a low block team parking the bus.
4) CB - an athletic specimen that can win sprints and win headers consistently in a crowded box. We need a Vidic clone.

Martial and Rashford to reach their peak, assume 24/25 is when players start hitting peak numbers.

DVB to integrate into the team properly. It’s actually shocking, we have 3 of the (amongst) the best CM’s in the world but can only play one.

Sell Pogba, replace with CDM

Strelok

Anyone think we should go for Sancho this Jan? His stock seems lower recently and he seems unhappy there, maybe a good time to go for him?

Macedonian Red

Sell Pogba and Martial to make some money!

RW should be our first target.

World class CF is must as Cavani is good but old, while Greenwood is young. Martial isnt consistent and never will be top class.

DMF
Matic is getting older while Fred and Scott are "sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe bad".

CB
Lindelof cant won fecking aerial duel!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we are still in the mix at the top come January then I hope we go and get a CB. Even if it's somebody short term while we wait for the long term option. Lindelof n Maguire just isn't good enough. We concede goals and chances every single game. We need to be more solid and have more pace at the back.

432JuanMata

If we are still in the mix at the top come January then I hope we go and get a CB. Even if it's somebody short term while we wait for the long term option. Lindelof n Maguire just isn't good enough. We concede goals and chances every single game. We need to be more solid and have more pace at the back.
Question for you which of them do you think is better ?

Im more on the RW it has been a problem for years and so far this season we have played Mata, James, Rashford and Martial there yet none of there best positions are RW. Also it stands out even worse with AWB average attacking

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

World class CF is must as Cavani is good but old, while Greenwood is young. Martial isnt consistent and never will be top class.

DMF
Matic is getting older while Fred and Scott are "sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe bad".

CB
Weird to think I wouldn't be against both being sold but I still would like to keep Pogba at least, the midfield is good I think McTominay is the one that needs replacing, and the problem with yesterday as a poster pointed out was there was too much space between the midfield in the first half which was a system problem

croadyman

Yeah I know he is 36 but you only need to look at the difference that Thiago Silva has made to that Chelsea defence. He has also helped Zouma show some of his best form in a Chelsea shirt

croadyman

DMF

CB
I still cannot decide what is the order of priority for these 3 positions, it keeps changing for me depending on where we look the most vulnerable during the game

Last edited:

Water Melon

A better manager than Ole, who would improve our team play. Imagine all these players being better coached with better tactics.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Question for you which of them do you think is better ?

Im more on the RW it has been a problem for years and so far this season we have played Mata, James, Rashford and Martial there yet none of there best positions are RW. Also it stands out even worse with AWB average attacking
I rate Maguire a lot more. Lindelof doesn't really impress me in any areas where as Maguire has obvious strengths. We just need somebody with pace to play with him.

Nemanja Ferdinand

If we want to raid Southampton I for one would like us to go for James Ward-Prowse, an absolute beast in my opinion. The second player in that team would be Danny Ings, I think he could be a great CF in our team.

Dominik Calwert-Lewin has been looking great this season especially when it comes to the target man role with that heading ability he has. Richarlison could be a good option too but the only problem with these two is the price Everton might have put on them.

jesperjaap

A better manager than Ole, who would improve our team play. Imagine all these players being better coached with better tactics.
Though I personally want another manager too if it is the right one.....dont see that everything is then fine. A lot of these players have failed under three different managers already.

Martial for example was signed as a potential world class teenager, we are still to be fully convinced.....he has just had his 25th birthday.

In the premiership these players have generally been awful almost every game and we have been saved by 10min spells. Yes they may improve under a different manager and there is all the talk of better pressing and a faster tempo needed etc etc. We have centre backs that are slow defensively, positionally unaware in the box, slow bringing the ball out. The majority of our central midfielders are poor passing the ball forwards and we have talented attacking players that have been woefully inconsistent throughout there careers when they should be peaking now. Add to that a lack of leadership and several players who just dont seem to have the right attitude.....for me a new manager simply doesnt solve that

All the talk of this thread being like FM in several posts. Well for me, rightly so. For different reasons I still actually see 10-15 players I would more than happily sell and a lot of those I would be keeping would be as squad players, though they are generally starting at the moment. We still have the majority of the same problems we have had for years now. What we really need still are.....

1) A proper captain to lead the side
2) A quality centre back
3) A proper midfielder that can play box to box that is really defensively sound and can protect the back four yet still dictate play
4) Someone to compete with Rashford as he is so inconsistent and gets lots of niggles while also able to compete for other positions
5) A right winger
6) A long term striker

Not going to throw out names of players I would sell or players I would buy and yes there are a couple of youngsters we have who may solve a couple of those problems long term....but for me, this past window we simply didnt do enough when there were obvious if expensive options that were heavily linked. Grealish for example would have solved problems 4 & 5 and for me would have been a starter long term....yet the general consencus seemed to be he isnt worth money as wont get in the side, if he is so good etc etc why isnt SOuthgate pickign him, his attitude stinks yada yada yada.

Basically this club currently owners, recruitment, management, players, performances....its a long way from where we have been from top to bottom, which is why I disagree a new manager, whoever that may be solves the problems we have

Devil may care

The more I see us the more I become disinterested in attacking additions, not saying we are perfect but we have a lot of threats and forcall the Haaland posts, do yourself a favour and just pencil in summer 2022, not saying we'll get him but nobody will until then, so park it.

All I want is 2 CM's and a CB, I mean I'd like 2 of the latter as well but we know Maguire is lodged into that starting spot with about 500 litres of Gorilla glue so 2 would be pointless.

croadyman

The more I see us the more I become disinterested in attacking additions, not saying we are perfect but we have a lot of threats and forcall the Haaland posts, do yourself a favour and just pencil in summer 2022, not saying we'll get him but nobody will until then, so park it.

All I want is 2 CM's and a CB, I mean I'd like 2 of the latter as well but we know Maguire is lodged into that starting spot with about 500 litres of Gorilla glue so 2 would be pointless.
Presume you are thinking one who is more of a CDM who is good on the ball and the other more of a CAM then.

We definitely need a CB who is capable of being a leader and not afraid to rollick the defenders when not doing their jobs.

I think it's highly unlikely he would come here but feel Ramos could fit the bill and would be great for Axel & Mengi to learn from him.

He is free to talk to prospective clubs from January so Ole should pick up the phone and at least put the idea to him just to see what he thinks

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

1) Right Winger
2) CDM---press resistant, mobile, does defensive duties well and is an above average passer

Possible:
- New striker if Martial keeps up current form. I believe in him though so I expect this not to be the case
- If Pogba is sold, then he needs to be replaced with another CM of his creative caliber but with more defensive upside
-Very attacking RB and loan BW--no issue with AWB, but given how left sided we are this would work well to balance esp against teams that are tough to breakdown

Devil may care

Presume you are thinking one who is more of a CDM who is good on the ball and the other more of a CAM then.

We definitely need a CB who is capable of being a leader and not afraid to rollick the defenders when not doing their jobs.

I think it's highly unlikely he would come here but feel Ramos could fit the bill and would be great for Axel & Mengi to learn from him.

He is free to talk to prospective clubs from January so Ole should pick up the phone and at least put the idea to him just to see what he thinks
I'm thinking one CM that is in the mold of Carrick and one in the mold of Vidal to just give a general example, basically I want to improve the midfield double pivot on the ball without sacrificing the defensive solidity of it.

I agree the CB needs to be at the very least capable of handling their own business as the more I see of Maguire I realize he isn't going to lead any young CB, he is best when he just has to focus on his own game. I wouldn't be adversed to a short run with Ramos but I'd love to see us try for Alaba.

croadyman

I'm thinking one CM that is in the mold of Carrick and one in the mold of Vidal to just give a general example, basically I want to improve the midfield double pivot on the ball without sacrificing the defensive solidity of it.

I agree the CB needs to be at the very least capable of handling their own business as the more I see of Maguire I realize he isn't going to lead any young CB, he is best when he just has to focus on his own game. I wouldn't be adversed to a short run with Ramos but I'd love to see us try for Alaba.
Yeah Alaba is also a very good shout as well,maybe it's the fact that Ramos hates the scousers which makes it an appealing option.

So who do you have in mind that fits the Carrick mould we could get and the same in regards to Vidal then.

Devil may care

Yeah Alaba is also a very good shout as well,maybe it's the fact that Ramos hates the scousers which makes it an appealing option.

So who do you have in mind that fits the Carrick mould we could get and the same in regards to Vidal then.
Just have to be careful with Ramos has he mugged us off before, and attribute-wise I think Alaba is a great fit with either Maguire or Lindelöf.

Kimmich would be first choice but obviously unobtainable. I like Bruno Guimares for the Carrick role, although I admiitedly haven't seen Lyon this season. For the other role I like Camavinga and would take Valverde or Bentancur as part exchange in a Pogba deal with Real or Juve respectively. I also rated Zakaria before his injury but withold putting him on the list until we see how he is over the rest of this sesson as he's just getting back playing regular games.

Sea-Cow

Just have to be careful with Ramos has he mugged us off before, and attribute-wise I think Alaba is a great fit with either Maguire or Lindelöf.

Kimmich would be first choice but obviously unobtainable. I like Bruno Guimares for the Carrick role, although I admiitedly haven't seen Lyon this season. For the other role I like Camavinga and would take Valverde or Bentancur as part exchange in a Pogba deal with Real or Juve respectively. I also rated Zakaria before his injury but withold putting him on the list until we see how he is over the rest of this sesson as he's just getting back playing regular games.
Yeah I second this. Either one of these two in exchange for Pogba would be great business, if they are willing to come in and work etc etc. Basically, lets become Uruguayan United! Pelistri and Cavani can get the ball rolling.

Mylock

1st thing we should do is move on Pogba and Bailly. If we could also get rid of Jones, Rojo and Romero, it would be a great transfer window.

Zakaria and Pau Torres would be two great signings in January. Pau Torres would strengthen our defence as he''s a defender who can pass and is left-footed. Zakaria is a real DM who is an excellent passer. As for the summer, we should look to bring in Grealish as a replacement for Pogba.

Last edited:

croadyman

1st thing we should do is move on Pogba and Bailly. If we could also get rid of Jones, Rojo and Romero, it would be a great transfer window.

Zakaria and Pau Torres would be two great signings in January. Pau Torres would strengthen our defence as he''s a defender who can pass and is left-footed. Zakaria is a real DM who is an excellent passer. As for the summer, we should look to bring in Grealish as a replacement for Pogba.
Would be brilliant to get a CDM, CB & Pogba replacement but think after all the financial losses suffered this year it is going to be too much of an ask, so may have to look for shrewd options in the market again like we did this summer with the likes of Diallo & Pellestri.

NoPace

Updated realistic squad board of how I'd like us to look after the next window/summer:

Rashford(James)------Cavani(Greenwood)------RW(Diallo)
------------------------------------Bruno(VDB)----------------------------------
----------------------Fred(VDB)-----------DM(McTominay)--------------
Telles(Shaw)-------------------------------------------------RWB(Wan-Bissaka)
----------------------LCB(Tuanzebe)-Maguire(Lindelof)-------------
-----------------------------------Henderson(KEEPER)---------------------

And then:
-Ighalo/Pellistri or maybe a youth attacker promoted for a 7th attacker,
-Garner, another academy guy, or we buy a cheap but promising CM for a 6th man there since Van De Beek is backing up Bruno and competing with Fred, so 5 for 3 spots feels one player light.
-Mengi as 5th CB or maybe one last season for one of Rojo, Jones or Bailly if nobody wants to take on their salaries, but the first two I wouldn't feel good on and if Bailly is healthy he should go on loan, be good and get us a solid transfer offer. Could also buy a cheap player here
-Brandon Williams is a perfect 5th fullback, can play either side. If a proper offer comes in for him (I think Saints were rumoured), it seems like we've got options with Dalot back from loan for another try, Alvaro doing very well in the youth team as a left back and Ethan Laird.

Sell:
Pogba, Martial, De Gea for big money
Bailly, Lingard (seemingly need the right loan in Jan to get $), Pereira for decent fees
Matic, Rojo, Jones, Mata just to get off wages is basically enough

Buy:

1 A #6 - Passing DM, I'm fond of Neuhaus and Phillips but there are surely others too. Fabian Ruiz isn't great defensively but he's such a good passer that someone like him is intriguing if suggesting more time for Fred or McTominay as his partner than VDB, and he might be risky Prem fit. Someone who can really pass it and wants the ball and breaks up play/marks a #10 okay like Phillips could play with any of VDB, Fred or McTominay. A Carrick or Xabi Alonso if we're talking archetypal 2000s players.

2. LCB - Left-footed ideally, but Maguire isn't bad there on the ball these days so doesn't have to be. Considering how high we seem to rate our youth and Lindelof being fine, I think it's about the best player we can attract and if they're older that's not the end of the world as long as the value makes sense.

3. RW - Can be someone in their prime since Diallo looks such a great prospect or even a wide left-footed AM we like to sort of replace Mata with Greenwood getting games out right, I have a weird belief in Pereira on West Brom or maybe Adama Traore for Diogo Dalot and a fee fits Wolves' Portugal thing. Sancho is the obvious name and Oyarzabal should be too, but if we really believe in Diallo can go a bit cheaper here. Ideal would be an older but quality player maybe, like Griezmann if he's desperate to come. We could also buy a false 9 type if he's still a threat in the box and play Greenwood more on the right and also create space for Rashford to attack. Havertz was the guy for me but Lautaro can drop deep and he's great and probably wants a move. Dybala always a name. We missed out on Joao Felix sadly, though it was a huge fee. Gerard Moreno is a weirdly unfashionable name but he might win the Pichichi and is in the Spain team and seems like a natural fit as a left-footed false 9/RW cutting in type to fit with Rashford and a 3rd attacker. 28 and at Villareal, maybe they'd take 30M and Bailly back and a loan season or even 18 month-2 year loan for Pellistri or Alvaro the left back

4. Backup Keeper - We could also absolutely delay this a year and keep De Gea, but it seems like it's gonna be Henderson and if we can buy a good keeper for 15-20M to compete with him and sell De Gea for 50M somewhere, there's certainly a case for it.

LuckyScout78

To this date. A allround CM, A CB and RW. Close to top level as possible.

A new CM who can dominate, dictating, control the game and make United playing on the front foot. Set up the ball tempo and keep the posses when you have too.

United have attack breaker cm. Needs someone who can boss the the game. No matter it is City, Liverpool or Bayern you are putting on the pitch. Let dominate and boss others top clubs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I know Torres is flavour of the month but he’s not a huge upgrade on lindelof and he’s weak in the air too.

konate can defend and is decent on the ball. Just saying

Sea-Cow

I know Torres is flavour of the month but he’s not a huge upgrade on lindelof and he’s weak in the air too.

The gap in athleticism between him and Maguire would be entertaining at least. Konate could give ol Harry a ten-yard headstart when they're tracking back and easily go by him at a jog.

Red_Orchestra

What do we still need? We need to be a lot more ruthless in terms of selling players, that would be a great start. Axing all the high salary fringe players and taking a loss on players that we bought in the transfer window. Instead of letting purchased players rot on the bench because they weren't good enough, sell them! Don't let them rot on the bench forever, simply take the loss and sell them!

It will happen with Maguire, it will happen with Lindelof, AWB, VDB and so on. I have nothing against these players, I'm just saying at one point in their careers, they will rot on the United bench. The board can not let this happen anymore, they need to be more ruthless.

In the current state and form of this massive Man United team, one can easily axe or sell at least 10 players.

Mylock

You are correct that he is flavour of the month but I wouldn't agree about his heading ability.
I haven't seen enough of Konate, does he not get injured a lot? is he left footed? We need 2 CH that are good one on one and can read a game. I'm worried all our current CH's are not up to it.

Scholsey2004

We need a goal machine up front, a hard working and creative 8 in midfield who can press to complement Fernandes and Fred/McTominay. We also need a playmaker in one of the wide positions as all our best wingers are forwards really. Fernandes is our only real playmaker in the final third.

We all know who our ideal wingers and striker are. Grealish, Sancho and Haaland. A cheaper, more hit and hope selection might be Adam Armstrong from Blackburn and Buendia from Norwich. In midfield I'd go for an all rounder like Curtis Davies or James Ward-Prowse perhaps, or maybe even John Swift from Reading.

MattofManchester

I'm actually curious about Modric being available on a free. At 35, he's still going strong. He'd honestly be a nice option to have in and around the squad if he runs down his contract, given he's still putting in such incredible performances.
Will probably sign a new deal though.