What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

ovoxo

January - Pogba to Juve plus £40 million and Dybala . Who’s with me ?
Dybala’s contract expires next summer I think, Same as Pogba, so there shouldn’t be money going from us to them.

I love Dybala as a player but not sure he’s the right fit for us. He could play the Mata style role from the right, but I’m not really sure he’s what we need.

KD6-3.7

Dybala already made it clear he doesn’t want to move to United or even the Premier League. It would just be another Di Maria situation and also we don’t need another no.10 we need a RW

RedDevilRoshi

Dybala had no interest whatsoever in joining us two summers ago when we were trying to arrange an exchange for Lukaku, hence how the swap deal with Juventus fell through. Doesn’t matter how good the player is, we surely don’t want another Di Maria situation on our hands.

reddevilchennai

We definitely need a CDM as we have none bar Matic in the squad. We are filled with box to box. If we sell Pogba we should use the money and get a CDM like Camavinga or Zakaria or Kalvin Phillips.

CB is a major problem. We need a fast agile CB. Upamacano or Komate would be the best option.

ST - Should get Halaand at any cost.

RW is also a problem as we are more reliant on the left side to move the ball forward and for creativity. Give chance for Amad Diallo and Pellistri till the summer. If they can show good signs then we can go next season with them. Or else we can place a bid around 70m for Sancho and mostly Dortmund will accept it.

RB - AWB needs some one to compete with him and to rotate with him. Need to get a attacking RB.

Macedonian Red

RW, CB, CF, DMF in that order.

Sancho, Chukwueze, Sarr, Haaland, Upamecanо,Vestergaard, Ndidi.. are amongst the players I rate but will be hard to sign Haaland, Sancho or Ndidi for example.

georgipep

RW, CB, CF, DMF in that order.

Sancho, Chukwueze, Sarr, Haaland, Upamecanо,Vestergaard, Ndidi.. are amongst the players I rate but will be hard to sign Haaland, Sancho or Ndidi for example.
Caicedo and Haaland. Nobody else, for now. If there is a clear left-footed CB talent we have identified, then them too.

I can't see us going for Sancho at least until we have tried Diallo and Pellistri.

Ismaila Sarr is interesting but Watford ask for too much considering the context.

We don't need more right-footed CBs. Especially with Tuanzebe being as highly regarded as he is.

Ndidi is nice and all but will both cost a fortune and I don't think he will suit our game. Bissouma from Brighton looks a better fit if we're looking at established PL players.

Mylock

Offload Rogo, Jones, Lingard, Matic and Bailly in January. Bring in Zakaria to replace Matic and Pau Torres to replace Bailly.
Zakaria looks the ideal DM, defensively reliable, fast, an excellent reader of the game and a great passer. The one worry I would have is he fully over his injury.
Pau Torres would be a brilliant signing, ticks all the boxes. Very composed under pressure, strong in the air, great passer, left-footed, not slow. I would rate him above all the options that we have for the CB role.
If we could improve CB and DM in January we could give the title a real go.
If the summer I can see Mata, Pogba moving on, Grealish would an excellent replacement for both.

meamth

We definitely need a CDM as we have none bar Matic in the squad. We are filled with box to box. If we sell Pogba we should use the money and get a CDM like Camavinga or Zakaria or Kalvin Phillips.

CB is a major problem. We need a fast agile CB. Upamacano or Komate would be the best option.

ST - Should get Halaand at any cost.

RW is also a problem as we are more reliant on the left side to move the ball forward and for creativity. Give chance for Amad Diallo and Pellistri till the summer. If they can show good signs then we can go next season with them. Or else we can place a bid around 70m for Sancho and mostly Dortmund will accept it.

RB - AWB needs some one to compete with him and to rotate with him. Need to get a attacking RB.
Was atrocious last night, taken off in the 2nd half.

Might be unfair to write him off based on last night's performance, but I'd take Rice over him now.

Harold_Giles

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but we should buy Buendia this january.
I've been hoping we go for him the previous two transfer windows, so third time's the charm.

Excellent playmaking abilities from the right.
Not a traditional winger, he's similar to Mata where he drifts centrally a lot.
I think our forwards would thrive of his slick passing between the lines.
He's also got exceptional work rate.

His biggest "flaw" is he loses possession, but I'd say it's a similar problem to Bruno, where these two are constantly trying for the killer pass.

If anyone's interested:
https://eplanalysis.com/emi-buendia-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

UpWithRivers

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but we should buy Buendia this january.
I've been hoping we go for him the previous two transfer windows, so third time's the charm.

Excellent playmaking abilities from the right.
Not a traditional winger, he's similar to Mata where he drifts centrally a lot.
I think our forwards would thrive of his slick passing between the lines.
He's also got exceptional work rate.

His biggest "flaw" is he loses possession, but I'd say it's a similar problem to Bruno, where these two are constantly trying for the killer pass.

If anyone's interested:
https://eplanalysis.com/emi-buendia-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics
Totally agree. Not the priority - we need a CB and DM. But sometimes you just buy a player cos he's class. Why no one went for him in summer Ill never know.

Skåre Willoch

The usual suspects should be off the books within the next 18 months.

Within that time we should go all in on Haaland, Grealish and a great CDM.

croadyman

Offload Rogo, Jones, Lingard, Matic and Bailly in January. Bring in Zakaria to replace Matic and Pau Torres to replace Bailly.
Zakaria looks the ideal DM, defensively reliable, fast, an excellent reader of the game and a great passer. The one worry I would have is he fully over his injury.
Pau Torres would be a brilliant signing, ticks all the boxes. Very composed under pressure, strong in the air, great passer, left-footed, not slow. I would rate him above all the options that we have for the CB role.
If we could improve CB and DM in January we could give the title a real go.
If the summer I can see Mata, Pogba moving on, Grealish would an excellent replacement for both.
Would be amazing to get Zakaria in January,however cannot see Monchengladbach letting him leave with a Champions League tie against City coming up.

In regards to Pau Torres I am still not sure whether he is a serious target but we definitely need a pacy CB that is for sure.

Can't help feeling we have missed the boat with Grealish last summer,however he may well have something in this new contract about what happens if a top six club comes in.

Last edited:

Mylock

Would be amazing to get Zakaria in January,however cannot see Monchengladbach letting him leave with a Champions League tie against City coming up.

In regards to Pau Torres I am still not sure whether he is a serious target but we definitely need a pacy CB that is for sure.

Can't help feeling we have missed the boat with Grealish last summer,however he may well have something in this new contract about what happens if a top six club comes in.
Unfortunately, you could be correct about Grealish, he would be a great addition as he's great at breaking the press. As for Zakaria, we should be trying o get him before city or Liverpool snap him up. Pau looks the part, he would be a great signing.

croadyman

Unfortunately, you could be correct about Grealish, he would be a great addition as he's great at breaking the press. As for Zakaria, we should be trying o get him before city or Liverpool snap him up. Pau looks the part, he would be a great signing.
Would be great if we could get this Caciedo in January for a different dimension in the midfield whilst in the summer still targeting a starter DM for the first XI like either Bissouma or Zakaria. Getting in Grealish for Pogba would be a top signing but fully expect Villa to put an even bigger price on his head when any potential suitors come calling again.

Lentwood

As much as I think we need a CB to (initially) partner Maguire, I feel that if this team could get an absolutely lethal CF - like a prime Suarez/Cavani/Rooney quality player then we would have a real shot at winning trophies sooner rather than later.

I’ve not really seen loads of Erling Haaland but what I have seen has been very impressive and I feel it would make a great deal of sense to go all in on him

Web of Bissaka

We need to bring in H. Standard back, seems to be missing among our squad, coaches, club and fans

Full name: High "United" Standard
Position: Mentality

Costs? Everything - reality checks, wake-up calls, real pride, history review, address the elephants in the room, disregard complacency, etc.

Devil may care

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Cavani, Vdb, James, Mata, Pellistri and Diallo.

That's an exciting set of attacking options even if a bit stretched at each end of the age scale. I'm sure in the summer we'll try and add Grealish to that list in replacement of Pogba.

All other focus needs to be on midfield and defense, I like the prospect of this young Ecuadorian DM but we need a ready made starter as well. Same at CB, someone quick and athletic to cover Maguire, and then lets see some genuine rotation with Axel and Lindelof getting games as a partnership so we don't run the starters into the ground. It also wouldn't hurt to get a RB to compete with AWB as I think we've seen the benefits of having Shaw and Telles as options at LB.

croadyman

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Cavani, Vdb, James, Mata, Pellistri and Diallo.

That's an exciting set of attacking options even if a bit stretched at each end of the age scale. I'm sure in the summer we'll try and add Grealish to that list in replacement of Pogba.

All other focus needs to be on midfield and defense, I like the prospect of this young Ecuadorian DM but we need a ready made starter as well. Same at CB, someone quick and athletic to cover Maguire, and then lets see some genuine rotation with Axel and Lindelof getting games as a partnership so we don't run the starters into the ground. It also wouldn't hurt to get a RB to compete with AWB as I think we've seen the benefits of having Shaw and Telles as options at LB.
Yeah we could definitely do with a starter DM as well so there's not too much pressure on Caciedo to perform if we signed him.

Would you take Trippier as a RB option or should we be looking at someone around a similar age to AWB but offers more going forward.

ovoxo

Just read the article by Laurie Whitwell on the Athletic and he’s suggesting the following:

CB - mentions interest in Upamecano has cooled as he’s likely going to Bayern.
CDM - Caicedo
RW - Sancho (however only really if Dortmund drop the price), Dembele, Sarr and Coman
ST - Haaland and DCL

Interestingly he used a smarterscout’s search to show other players for the RW and ST position and mentioned Lozano who can play anywhere across the front line and also Andre Silva who has 24 goals in 48 games.

croadyman

Just read the article by Laurie Whitwell on the Athletic and he’s suggesting the following:

CB - mentions interest in Upamecano has cooled as he’s likely going to Bayern.
CDM - Caicedo
RW - Sancho (however only really if Dortmund drop the price), Dembele, Sarr and Coman
ST - Haaland and DCL

Interestingly he used a smarterscout’s search to show other players for the RW and ST position and mentioned Lozano who can play anywhere across the front line and also Andre Silva who has 24 goals in 48 games.
Take it he didn't mention any other CB alternative options then,still be surprised if anything happens with Haaland due to Mino.

ovoxo

Take it he didn't mention any other CB alternative options then,still be surprised if anything happens with Haaland due to Mino.
He gave his opinion on Konate but didn’t suggest we’re interested or anything.

Devil may care

Yeah we could definitely do with a starter DM as well so there's not too much pressure on Caciedo to perform if we signed him.

Would you take Trippier as a RB option or should we be looking at someone around a similar age to AWB but offers more going forward.
Caciedo is in the Pellistri bracket, looks a talent that's worth a punt for the fee, but we need a ready made Matic replacement as well, that would give us 2 DM's and 2 box to box CM's in Fred and McTominay.

I haven't seen Trippier play for ages mate so I'm not sure how his form has been for Atletico, I like the look of Lamptey but I guess his age is an issue if Ole sees genuine futures at the club for Williams and Laird.

croadyman

Caciedo is in the Pellistri bracket, looks a talent that's worth a punt for the fee, but we need a ready made Matic replacement as well, that would give us 2 DM's and 2 box to box CM's in Fred and McTominay.

I haven't seen Trippier play for ages mate so I'm not sure how his form has been for Atletico, I like the look of Lamptey but I guess his age is an issue if Ole sees genuine futures at the club for Williams and Laird.
Well just seen Trippier has been banned for 10 weeks so we can now safely scratch his name off the list.

Would be surprised if we bought 2 DM's in January but do need someone to slot straight into the role.

Devil may care

Well just seen Trippier has been banned for 10 weeks so we can now safely scratch his name off the list.

Would be surprised if we bought 2 DM's in January but do need someone to slot straight into the role.
Wow, what did he do to be banned for 10 weeks?

Agreed, it'll only be Caciedo in January, if anyone, we won't fully replace Matic until the summer, the key to me is to get a CB in January that compliments Maguire so we can give the 2 CM's a little more freedom instead of them having to sit deeper to protect the lack of pace at CB.

lex talionis

For me, the Matic replacement is the highest immediate priority. Scotty and Fred have earned their minutes, and I really like what I see in Donny, but none of them are proper DMs in any way and Nemanja is running on fumes now. And that translates to a certain extent on our defensive frailties, although if we could sort out defending on set pieces that would do for now.

croadyman

Agreed, it'll only be Caciedo in January, if anyone, we won't fully replace Matic until the summer, the key to me is to get a CB in January that compliments Maguire so we can give the 2 CM's a little more freedom instead of them having to sit deeper to protect the lack of pace at CB.
Which decent CB can we get in the January window though and in regards to Trippier it's to do with that betting thing

RedDevilRoshi

Would also throw Badiashile or Milenkovic in there too,very much depends on getting rid of Jones/Rojo ideally both
Yeah, I think you’re right and most likely the reason why we never signed one in the summer. We need to get rid of one our out of favour CB’s before we bring in someone new in that position.

croadyman

Yeah, I think you’re right and most likely the reason why we never signed one in the summer. We need to get rid of one our out of favour CB’s before we bring in someone new in that position.
Would love to think we could offer a bit extra to Bayern and get Alaba now,however think there is no chance of that happening.

gica_7

While the title race is wide open, it looks absolutely nonsense to buy a CB in january. We managed to figure out scoring goals. With a fast CB, we will at least have a shot.

For the god's sake, just for once act like an ambitious football club and but a CB. Just please.

wolvored

Think he was caught gambling on the football results and thats a big no for players.

wolvored

I dont think we will get Haaland. I think that Caicedo will come in along with Diallo and that will probably be it for January. The board will come out with no profit due to Covid and you have to accept that.
I think we will probably have a few leave probably on loan. Jones, James, Rojo and Lingard might all go out on loan with a view to buy. Watch Rojo get his contract extended for another year to protect the 'asset'
I think in the summer will depend if Caicedo and Diallo have come into the squad and performed well. We have Pellistri who hasnt figured yet as well. We will probably go for a DM and a CB. Pogba will be sold.