What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

lex talionis

I agree we need a CF, RW, CDM, CB and a backup RB. But we don’t have the funds to do all that.

All things considered, the most urgent need is a CF. We can’t trust Martial and Rashford. And although I really like Greenwood I don’t think he’s our answer.

We’re dropping too many points due to lack of goal production. What is it...1 goal scored this season against top six clubs? Tactics no doubt play a role in us not being able to score in these big matches, but these tactics partially reflect the reality that we don’t have a reliable goal scorer.

We can definitely improve elsewhere, but if we can’t take our chances on goal we’re bereft of hope of anything more than scraping top four.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
No way we are going to close the gap with Liverpool and City when our players are using sticks and stones and most of the opposition is playing with swords and shields, while City is playing with lightsabers and force shields.
you definitely have a point. I’m hoping Ole eventually has such a good team that we will be able to adapt to whatever challenge is put in front of us (or the oppo are far more worried about what we will do) and we get away with playing our own way. We are a long way off that yet. Our recruitment dept definitely needs to be on the cutting edge. At least we seem to be building a much better squad character anyway. That’s a good start.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need a CB, a covering RB, a MF if Pogba goes and either a striker or a RW.

So that is three maybe four players.

Fosu-Mens

you definitely have a point. I’m hoping Ole eventually has such a good team that we will be able to adapt to whatever challenge is put in front of us (or the oppo are far more worried about what we will do) and we get away with playing our own way. We are a long way off that yet. Our recruitment dept definitely needs to be on the cutting edge. At least we seem to be building a much better squad character anyway. That’s a good start.
Character and effort. That's what we get for 2 years and how much spent on players?
It is good that we have improved the morale of the squad, and we are not downing tools at the first opportunity, but this is only going to take us this far. Should still give OGS credit for this, as he is a good "man manager".
Unless we get some people to help OGS with the tactical/approach to football and that can coach the team to pass/press/move more like a unit, we are not going to be competitive with the best teams.

croadyman

I agree we need a CF, RW, CDM, CB and a backup RB. But we don’t have the funds to do all that.

All things considered, the most urgent need is a CF. We can’t trust Martial and Rashford. And although I really like Greenwood I don’t think he’s our answer.

We’re dropping too many points due to lack of goal production. What is it...1 goal scored this season against top six clubs? Tactics no doubt play a role in us not being able to score in these big matches, but these tactics partially reflect the reality that we don’t have a reliable goal scorer.

We can definitely improve elsewhere, but if we can’t take our chances on goal we’re bereft of hope of anything more than scraping top four.
Do you not think we need some proper leadership at CB because look how many goals that we have conceded in the league this season compared to the likes of Spurs & City. Yes I completely agree we need a younger CF than Cavani but also have to stop letting in such cheap goals at set pieces particularly from corners where there is a lack of organisation.

Ali Dia

Character and effort. That's what we get for 2 years and how much spent on players?
It is good that we have improved the morale of the squad, and we are not downing tools at the first opportunity, but this is only going to take us this far. Should still give OGS credit for this, as he is a good "man manager".
Unless we get some people to help OGS with the tactical/approach to football and that can coach the team to pass/press/move more like a unit, we are not going to be competitive with the best teams.
spending money guarantees nothing as Chelsea have seen so far. I think it’s the fact that we are finally spending money on the right players. When it clicks it should be good but we are still a few key players away from being that team. I do really think Fergie is in the mix again with Ole. Our football might not be fashionable but if you can put 11 winners together who’s style compliment each other I think that’s better than any pressing or tactic. See Real Madrid, United of old etc.

croadyman

spending money guarantees nothing as Chelsea have seen so far. I think it’s the fact that we are finally spending money on the right players. When it clicks it should be good but we are still a few key players away from being that team. I do really think Fergie is in the mix again with Ole. Our football might not be fashionable but if you can put 11 winners together who’s style compliment each other I think that’s better than any pressing or tactic. See Real Madrid, United of old etc.
You make a very good point but it's so frustrating that we had to put off signing key players last summer in at least two positions due to this bloody pandemic leaving us unable to both buy and sell. This basically means we are now another year behind with getting this squad up to the level to at least be competitive in all types of games.

Ali Dia

You make a very good point but it's so frustrating that we had to put off signing key players last summer in at least two positions due to this bloody pandemic leaving us unable to both buy and sell. This basically means we are now another year behind with getting this squad up to the level to at least be competitive in all types of games.
But that’s not on Ole. He can only manage the squad the owners put in front of him. It’s frustrating. I’m sure he’d only love to have sancho grealish and haaland in our team right now and all were gettable. Before anyone starts saying well any manager could win with those players. We are United and that’s the profile of player we used to and should still be signing

always_hoping

United didn't get what they needed in the summer transfer window and now are letting this window close without any signing.

Uniteds current progress will plateau if the board don't start showing a bit more ambition

croadyman

United didn't get what they needed in the summer transfer window and now are letting this window close without any signing.

Uniteds current progress will plateau if the board don't start showing a bit more ambition
They have no ambition and couldn't care less provided that we keep getting in the top 4

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Meh, corona is fecking with everything. No player that could improve us was realistic this window.

Summer is where it's at, depending on how our finances look of course.

croadyman

Meh, corona is fecking with everything. No player that could improve us was realistic this window.

I have said it once and will say it yet again we are only going to spend this summer if at least one of Pogba/Martial is sold, if neither of them leaves then find it really hard to see where we are going to generate money from to buy the CB, CDM & creative wide player we desperately need

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I have said it once and will say it yet again we are only going to spend this summer if at least one of Pogba/Martial is sold, if neither of them leaves then find it really hard to see where we are going to generate money from to buy the CB, CDM & creative wide player we desperately need
Yeah, we are probably looking at 1 first team player, maybe 2 if one of the players you mentioned leaves.

I would go for either Haaland or Grealish, spice this attack up a bit.

always_hoping

Plenty of players could have improved United in this and the last transfer window. Covid is an excuse for Woodward and Judge to hide behind.

Liverpool weren't title challenger until the likes of Salah,Robinson,Allision and Van Dijk was brought in and the latter was a January signing.

croadyman

Yeah, we are probably looking at 1 first team player, maybe 2 if one of the players you mentioned leaves.

I would go for either Haaland or Grealish, spice this attack up a bit.
Yeah quite frankly I would be delighted with either of them and a Kounde/Konate, know that it doesn't solve the CDM issue at all but honestly I still have major doubts that Ole has any intention of breaking up the McTominay & Fred partnership

Teja

If we don't have the money, it's safe to say no one else in world football will have the money. The countries behind the oil clubs have other priorities and traditional clubs (RM, Barca, Bayern) are hard hit by lack of matchday revenue. The only ones that can spend are the ones that have tractor / toothpaste sponsorships like we do.

croadyman

If we don't have the money, it's safe to say no one else in world football will have the money. The countries behind the oil clubs have other priorities and traditional clubs (RM, Barca, Bayern) are hard hit by lack of matchday revenue. The only ones that can spend are the ones that have tractor / toothpaste sponsorships like we do.
Fear you are right and that just fills me with absolute dread for the summer window

suheilsworld

With Rashford, Martial and Greenwood misfiring , I would have liked us taking a punt on Diego Costa. Having him and Cavani as our central striking option would be delicious. Surprised no one has gone for him

croadyman

I would feel more assured about still needing to sign 4 players in this COVID effected market if we at least had the right people in charge of recruitment

Roboc7

And if we decide to sell those players who has got the cash to buy them other than PSG maybe.

It’s going to be a really tough transfer window, teams can’t rely on fans being back in stadiums next season so budgets will be small. Will teams try to hang onto players for another year in hope of higher prices or be forced to sell for lower fees?.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Freeing up some cash for summer:

pogba €60m
Lingard €15m
James €18m
Jones - release
Rojo - release
Romero - release
Grant - release (is he still on a playing contract?)
Martial €50m (IF we can purchase Haaland otherwise keep)
Mata - release
Williams - €15m
Tuanazebe - €25m value in deal to get Grealis

so around €158m in fees. Huge chunk of salaries freed up.

promote a few kids

Diallo can effectively take James spot
Pellestri can get Mata’s game time
Kovar becomes 3rd keeper
Laird promoted to RB cover
Tengi becomes backup cb

In:
Consistent goal scorer is a must so Haaland 90m

konate - dominant cb, good on the ball. €60m

grealish - a must if Pogba leaves. Play him LCM with license to go forward. €85m (Tuanezebe + 60m cash)

spend €210
- 158m sales
Net spend €52m

IF we could spread those costs over a few years then we could bring in Rice too, doing the donkey work for grealish & Bruno

kirk buttercup

In:

grealish - a must if Pogba leaves. Play him LCM with license to go forward. €85m (Tuanezebe + 60m cash)
That would be a very good Summer Indeed . The massive Hole on the Right wing would still be there but I think those 3 would make us contenders .

Rocknrolla69er

While I hope we get a new striker, does anyone else feel no matter who we have up front if we keep playing the way we do theyd struggle to score?

We rely heavily on goals from Bruno
Martial and Rashford for me are too selfish and really need improved decision making in the box, I've seen it one too many times now when Cavani makes a great run or makes abit of space, yet those two decide to take one extra touch or try and take two players on, I think we need a lot of work on decision making from our wide players.

Then you have the fullback issue, it seems they've reverted to the easy pass backwards rather than try to beat the opposite fullback when one on one, if I was Cavani I'd honestly be abit fed up currently the guys living off scraps.

Sooooo for me currently we need to sort our attacking structures out before anything.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In:
  • Sancho - sort out the right wing
  • Kounde - Pacey CB with big potential
  • Rice - sort out CDM
  • Trippier - RB cover
Out:
  • Pogba - think he's gone regardless of how we do
  • Jones
  • Mata - contract
  • Lingard
  • Romero - contract
  • James or Pellistri (loan)
  • Mengi (loan)
  • Williams (loan)
  • Garner loan
  • Tuanzebe (loan or sale)
Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Rice
Shaw Maguire Kounde Wan Bissaka
De Gea

Greenwood
Martial Van de Beek Diallo
Matic McTominay
Telles Lindelof Bailly Trippier
Henderson
Pellistri or James to stay as added rotation in that attack, possibly Mengi or Tuanzebe to be 5th CB (who am I kidding, Jones will stay forever). Could see us going for another deep lying playmaker like Fred and phase out Matic, to pair him with McTominay as the rotation ball playing midfielder (or Garner becomes that, but not sure he's good enough).

Summer 2022 we'll sign a striker, either to backup Greenwood or to start ahead of Greenwood.

croadyman

In:
  • Sancho - sort out the right wing
  • Kounde - Pacey CB with big potential
  • Rice - sort out CDM
  • Trippier - RB cover
Out:
  • Pogba - think he's gone regardless of how we do
  • Jones
  • Mata - contract
  • Lingard
  • Romero - contract
  • James or Pellistri (loan)
  • Mengi (loan)
  • Williams (loan)
  • Garner loan
  • Tuanzebe (loan or sale)
Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Fred Rice
Shaw Maguire Kounde Wan Bissaka
De Gea

Greenwood
Martial Van de Beek Diallo
Matic McTominay
Telles Lindelof Bailly Trippier
Henderson
Pellistri or James to stay as added rotation in that attack, possibly Mengi or Tuanzebe to be 5th CB (who am I kidding, Jones will stay forever). Could see us going for another deep lying playmaker like Fred and phase out Matic, to pair him with McTominay as the rotation ball playing midfielder (or Garner becomes that, but not sure he's good enough).

Summer 2022 we'll sign a striker, either to backup Greenwood or to start ahead of Greenwood.
Would say in a COVID affected market we will need to sell more than just one asset (Pogba) in order to be able to bring in 4 players in the summer, really hate to say this but think you will have to lower your expectations a bit and pick maybe two from that list to bring in who you feel would be the highest priority at the moment. Think if it was me I would go for the top two and see if we could find a CDM on the continent that is going to be cheaper than Rice, in regards to RB cover I am still unsure whether Dalot could come back and get a proper chance to be cover for AWB or maybe Brandon again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would say in a COVID affected market we will need to sell more than just one asset (Pogba) in order to be able to bring in 4 players in the summer, really hate to say this but think you will have to lower your expectations a bit and pick maybe two from that list to bring in who you feel would be the highest priority at the moment. Think if it was me I would go for the top two and see if we could find a CDM on the continent that is going to be cheaper than Rice, in regards to RB cover I am still unsure whether Dalot could come back and get a proper chance to be cover for AWB or maybe Brandon again.
Forgot about Dalot. But agree! This is just what IMO we need, mixed with realism expectancy of who is doable and who goes (if not all at once). With our squad set up, we don't need a striker next summer, but definitely 2022. We definitely need a RW, a DM and a CB (in that order) though as gaping holes in our first 11, as well as depth for RB.

Also I'm not that in love with Rice or anything. Maybe Zakaria would be better. Just seems like the thing for Ole to push on like he did for Wan Bissaka or Maguire. Sancho is the 1 main signing who I've been for years saying is perfect for us, from the nationality, age, global profile, position he plays, style of play, being creative and helping a lot with build up as well as scoring a good chunk himself, etc. It'll bring the best out of Rashford on the left, get a higher level out of Bruno and whoever the striker is, and get a better level out of Wan Bissaka behind him. If there's 1 player to sign, its him. We can get away with not signing a CB (though not ideal), though defensive mid we definitely need as well to organize us better and give us more steel.

croadyman

Forgot about Dalot. But agree! This is just what IMO we need, mixed with realism expectancy of who is doable and who goes (if not all at once). With our squad set up, we don't need a striker next summer, but definitely 2022. We definitely need a RW, a DM and a CB (in that order) though as gaping holes in our first 11, as well as depth for RB.

Also I'm not that in love with Rice or anything. Maybe Zakaria would be better. Just seems like the thing for Ole to push on like he did for Wan Bissaka or Maguire. Sancho is the 1 main signing who I've been for years saying is perfect for us, from the nationality, age, global profile, position he plays, style of play, being creative and helping a lot with build up as well as scoring a good chunk himself, etc. It'll bring the best out of Rashford on the left, get a higher level out of Bruno and whoever the striker is, and get a better level out of Wan Bissaka behind him. If there's 1 player to sign, its him. We can get away with not signing a CB (though not ideal), though defensive mid we definitely need as well to organize us better and give us more steel.
Really think we can't get away with not signing a CB because no one knows how well Lindelof's back is going to hold up and then of course with Bailly/Axel there is always that possibility of them picking up an injury and being out for ages again. Harry is the only one that can stay fit for a sustained period of time so we simply have to invest and find the best CB partner for him this summer.

romufc

If you are a business oriented individual, why would you spend £150m in a window when you can spend £70m and get the same returns?

We are run as a business, which is why we let windows go.

Who is to say, if we spent £80m more last summer on Sancho we would be in a better position? If we finish top 4 this season, the Glazers will be rubbing their hands. £80m more in the kitty to divide up.

hubbuh

It's crazy that there are so many question marks surrounding the spine of our team once again. It really does feel never-ending. De Gea really looks like he's past his best, our defence is incredibly vulnerable and leaky, we don't have a DM we can rely on, we have serious problems at RW (although Greenwood and Diallo might be enough for next season), Pogba should leave this summer if he isn't going to renew and we lack a consistent goal-scorer up top. I'm obviously looking at literally every single area that needs obvious improvement but it's hard to prioritise positions as there are quite a few glaring issues.

croadyman

If you are a business oriented individual, why would you spend £150m in a window when you can spend £70m and get the same returns?

We are run as a business, which is why we let windows go.

Who is to say, if we spent £80m more last summer on Sancho we would be in a better position? If we finish top 4 this season, the Glazers will be rubbing their hands. £80m more in the kitty to divide up.
Yeah sadly we will always be run as a business rather than a proper football club with these yankee leeches, this is the exact reason why I am worried about whether we are going to sign many players in the summer

romufc

Yeah sadly we will always be run as a business rather than a proper football club with these yankee leeches, this is the exact reason why I am worried about whether we are going to sign many players in the summer
Yep, we as fans always get excited and giddy over some transfer rumours. In truth, we don't really get what we need.

croadyman

It's crazy that there are so many questions mark surrounding the spine of our team once again. It really does feel never-ending. De Gea really looks like he's past his best, our defence is incredibly vulnerable and leaky, we don't have a DM we can rely on, we have serious problems at RW (although Greenwood and Diallo might be enough for next season), Pogba should leave this summer if he isn't going to renew and we lack a consistent goal-scorer up top. I'm obviously looking at literally every single area that needs obvious improvement but it's hard to prioritise positions as there are quite a few glaring issues.
Really hoping that we bring in a CB in the summer who is capable of both organising the defence and has the pace to get Harry out of trouble when it is required. I still haven't a clue of whether we are looking for just purely LCB options or if it's more about getting the right player whatever side they play.

Ole simply has to move away from this Mctominay & Fred partnership in the summer and actually sign a CDM who has the required positioning sense but is also good enough on the ball as well. There is a general consensus in the CAF that Rice & Ndidi don't pass the ball well so maybe need to look at someone on the continent like a Soumare/Zakaria.

Mason needs to be backup striker so the need for a starting RW is absolutely huge and has been ever since Nani played there. I want Amad to get an opportunity but certainly not fair to make him the first choice just so that we can save a bit of money again.

Sea-Cow

I really want a bastard of a striker first and foremost. Then a cnut keeper

A striker that's angry if he doesn't score even if we win in 6-0 and a goalie that's angry even if we win 6-1

I feel like we've got a number of good support acts but we need more headliners. They cost a tonne and need to be carefully selected but if you're serious about winning big prizes you need sure-things in key areas. The guy that bags the goals is the most key position of all (with goalie second)

Whatever the modern equivalents of ruud and schmikes are please
That is a great way to describe the type of striker we need to bring in. I am going to steal it, if that's ok.

peridigm

It's crazy that there are so many question marks surrounding the spine of our team once again. It really does feel never-ending. De Gea really looks like he's past his best, our defence is incredibly vulnerable and leaky, we don't have a DM we can rely on, we have serious problems at RW (although Greenwood and Diallo might be enough for next season), Pogba should leave this summer if he isn't going to renew and we lack a consistent goal-scorer up top. I'm obviously looking at literally every single area that needs obvious improvement but it's hard to prioritise positions as there are quite a few glaring issues.
That is what happens when you have 4 managers in 7 years. They each have their own idea. Add to that a CFO that has his ideas and you get what we've got now. A group of misfits. On the surface it does appear Ole is trying to clear out a lot of what we don't need. Fellaini, Herrera, Rojo, Young, Lukaku, Darmian, Dalot, and hopefully Lingard and Jones. Then you get cases like Mata and Matic who received new deals, granted Mata's deal is not as long as Matic's. I think these are more out of necessity though since we can't spend €300m every summer. Long may the flush continue and we'll possibly see a complete new core to the squad in 3 years. I do think it's going to take a long longer now in the COVID market.
One thing is certain, we need goal scorers.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A backup right back. Maybe Laird or Williams can do that job.

A CB.

A DM.

2 attackers so we can have 6 attackers for 3 positions. Mata and James should be move on.

SeanyC

Def need a CB and an out and out Striker but have to say I’m really please with the outgoings, Lingard, Mensah, Rojo all gone, Pellistri out on loan should help him. Not bad have to say. Pitty nobody will take Jones though, wouldn’t surprise me if United just pay him off and terminate his contract come the summer

NoPace

I do think we can do it all, sort of.

1. Martial to highest bidder for say 40M then Brandon Williams (who Saints want) and 20M to Southampton for Danny Ings with one year left on his deal since he's definitely gonna run it down and is likely desperate to join us, to bridge the gap until Greenwood is ready or we sign Haaland and keep Greenwood on the right. That's 20M in savings even fi we give Ings big money because Martial is on a ton.

2. Use that 20M to sign a RB, Trippier even at his age makes sense, or Max Aarons, since we basically need a better attacker there for select games to rest WanBissaka. Loan Dalot out again and hope he's ready in 2 years when Trippier is done.

3. Sign Grealish if Pogba leaves, that's probably a 50M difference or so (90 vs 40) but we can bridge 5M more probably by loaning James out for 1-2 years to Villa and hope he comes back ready to actually compete for a starting spot in his prime mid 20 years. If you can't get him, sign a proper RW in his prime or even late 20s who could thus cost less since Diallo should be a starter soon.

4. Get as much money off the books and fees from the deadwood (Lingard, Jones, Matic)

5. Sign a DM and a CB with the summer outlay we should have to spend even after the 50M on Grealish. If we sign a CB we can sell Bailly or Axel, maybe get a buyback for 30M and take 15M instead of 20M for Axel to the club like Villa who would happily do that deal, like Madrid did with Carvajal at Leverkusen.

That's basically 3 big signings with the equivalent of 2 going out (Martial + Pogba get us 1.5 or so and the rest up to 0.5). I like Van De Beek more than most, but if we sign Grealish he does become sellable for say 30M if you absolutely have to be ruthless to get the CB, DM or Grealish, who is a top 5 player in the league so we really do need to get before City or someone else does.

Crashoutcassius

If cavani stays then we prob don't need a striker but if he leaves we will look fairly weak without one

A winger that we should have got last summer

A pogba replacement who is a natural double pivot player, not grealish

A centre back but I could see this slipping down priority if cavani leaves

Zlatans Knee

Freeing up some cash for summer:

pogba €60m
Lingard €15m
James €18m
Jones - release
Rojo - release
Romero - release
Grant - release (is he still on a playing contract?)
Martial €50m (IF we can purchase Haaland otherwise keep)
Mata - release
Williams - €15m
Tuanazebe - €25m value in deal to get Grealis

so around €158m in fees. Huge chunk of salaries freed up.

promote a few kids

Diallo can effectively take James spot
Pellestri can get Mata’s game time
Kovar becomes 3rd keeper
Laird promoted to RB cover
Tengi becomes backup cb

In:

spend €210
- 158m sales
Net spend €52m

IF we could spread those costs over a few years then we could bring in Rice too, doing the donkey work for grealish & Bruno
I totally agree with everything you said here. I do wonder what the future holds for DVdB though. I have been on his side but he is flattering to deceive whenever he gets a chance. I am not sure where he fits in the picture. I think we will need a Matic replacement as well and it doesn't look like any of the kids are able to step up yet.