What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I totally agree with everything you said here. I do wonder what the future holds for DVdB though. I have been on his side but he is flattering to deceive whenever he gets a chance. I am not sure where he fits in the picture. I think we will need a Matic replacement as well and it doesn't look like any of the kids are able to step up yet.
I’m hoping that like many before him it’s just a case of finding his feet for a year and we will start to see what he can really do next season. The problem for him is that Bruno is ahead of him in that 10 position and is very creative abs takes chances whereas DvdB style is more Dutch - keep things ticking over and recycling the ball until you can spring a break. The team haven’t adapted to that

Denis' cuff

While I hope we get a new striker, does anyone else feel no matter who we have up front if we keep playing the way we do theyd struggle to score?

We rely heavily on goals from Bruno
Martial and Rashford for me are too selfish and really need improved decision making in the box, I've seen it one too many times now when Cavani makes a great run or makes abit of space, yet those two decide to take one extra touch or try and take two players on, I think we need a lot of work on decision making from our wide players.

Then you have the fullback issue, it seems they've reverted to the easy pass backwards rather than try to beat the opposite fullback when one on one, if I was Cavani I'd honestly be abit fed up currently the guys living off scraps.

Sooooo for me currently we need to sort our attacking structures out before anything.
i feel your pain, mate but until we sort out this awful defence, ideally Ddg, a cb and a dm, the rest of the team in front of them are forced to play conservatively in order to not leave them exposed. A dominant cb, at least would be a big help and a rw would go a long way to stop getting bullied and also helping Cavani and at some stage, Greenwood get some service. If not a cb in the immediate future, a dm (Rice) and still, the winger we haven’t had since Valencia Would be a big step forward.

justsomebloke

I figure we could use an upgrade in at least five positions:

1. A better CB to partner Maguire, preferably with speed, good ball processing and good decision making, to replace either Lindelof or Bailly
2. A quality offensively inclined RB to provide competition for Wan-Bissaka
3. A defensively inclined central midfielder with good passing and vision and a cool head, to replace Matic
4. A first XI quality attacker who can play both on the right and as a no 10
5. A clear-cut elite striker to replace Martial

But I don't think we neccessarily have to have all of those. If we can get any three of those upgrades, I think we're real contenders.

croadyman

1. A better CB to partner Maguire, preferably with speed, good ball processing and good decision making, to replace either Lindelof or Bailly
3. A defensively inclined central midfielder with good passing and vision and a cool head, to replace Matic

But I don't think we neccessarily have to have all of those. If we can get any three of those upgrades, I think we're real contenders.
Yeah you are absolutely spot on there and in this affected market right now would prioritise the top three positions, ideally we need the bottom two but maybe Amad will come in and do well plus Pellestri has a positive loan with Alaves too. I can see Eddy staying on for another year and then focusing on replacing him with an elite one next summer.

lex talionis

Do you not think we need some proper leadership at CB because look how many goals that we have conceded in the league this season compared to the likes of Spurs & City. Yes I completely agree we need a younger CF than Cavani but also have to stop letting in such cheap goals at set pieces particularly from corners where there is a lack of organisation.
I don’t think we’re going to get more of a leader at CB than Maguire. What we need is more leadership from Maguire, not a new leader. Put another way, if it took 80m to bring in Maguire (because we’re United) surely it would take another 70-80m to bring in a superior CB. I don’t study United’s books as closely as I should but I cannot imagine that our books would allow us to spend another enormous sum for a CB after having spent 80m for Maguire. If we can find a young gem — who’s got pace to complement Maguire — then let’s go in for that young gem.

As for conceding on corner kicks, three I believe, I have to believe this is resolvable through coaching. We were mugged, officially, by the referee on the Sheffield goal but it’s still the case that De Gea has to do better inside his six yard box. But our CBs have to be more combative when the ball is that deep whether off a corner or any cross.

Sea-Cow

I agree with your list and the overall description of each. In order of most pressing need I would go with 5 - 4 - 3 - 1 - 2.

Striker is most pressing.
RW / 10
DM
CB
RB

justsomebloke

Yeah you are absolutely spot on there and in this affected market right now would prioritise the top three positions, ideally we need the bottom two but maybe Amad will come in and do well plus Pellestri has a positive loan with Alaves too. I can see Eddy staying on for another year and then focusing on replacing him with an elite one next summer.
I think I'd prefer to prioritise #2 (RB) and #4 (AMR/AMC), because those would fill holes rather than represent upgrades - and then #5 (striker), because that has the biggest potential to be transformative. Cavani is not a viable first choice striker for this season and next, I think. He should be an alternative option. Whereas in CM and CD, we are I think decent enough to get by with what we have, if other areas are upgraded. What we have in those areas isn't bad, it just isn't title grade. But we're not going to get upgrades to that level everywhere in the short run, and I think you can compete without that. "Roughly adequate" will do for now, which I think we are.

Stacks

i feel your pain, mate but until we sort out this awful defence, ideally Ddg, a cb and a dm, the rest of the team in front of them are forced to play conservatively in order to not leave them exposed. A dominant cb, at least would be a big help and a rw would go a long way to stop getting bullied and also helping Cavani and at some stage, Greenwood get some service. If not a cb in the immediate future, a dm (Rice) and still, the winger we haven’t had since Valencia Would be a big step forward.
truth. Any team feels like they can score against us at any time. We can't defend well and attack in the same game. Saints was probably the only time this season that this happened. We need to solidify the spine first so we can let the breaks off

croadyman

I think I'd prefer to prioritise #2 (RB) and #4 (AMR/AMC), because those would fill holes rather than represent upgrades - and then #5 (striker), because that has the biggest potential to be transformative. Cavani is not a viable first choice striker for this season and next, I think. He should be an alternative option. Whereas in CM and CD, we are I think decent enough to get by with what we have, if other areas are upgraded. What we have in those areas isn't bad, it just isn't title grade. But we're not going to get upgrades to that level everywhere in the short run, and I think you can compete without that. "Roughly adequate" will do for now, which I think we are.
Do you not see a CDM as filling a hole because Matic is being phased out I reckon and wouldn't class either Fred or McTominay as actual DM's so that's the only reason I would prioritise that position. You may have a valid point about CB if Eric/Axel could stay fit but would still be worried about it. My gut feeling is that we are only looking for an experienced RB just to provide cover for AWB (similar to Telles with Luke at LB). Ideally we could use Eddy as rotation and bring in a younger one in the summer but that looks unlikely to me right now.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
To be able to purchase new players, I think Ole will have to sell first, so with that, and also with Pogba's brother saying, more or less, that Paul will need to be sold this summer to make any money on him means that he won't sign a new deal (unless it's a completely over the top offer from Woodward), and will be off the following year, so cash in this summer. Jesse I think will also go, and if he keeps playing like he did last night, then we should get a decent amount for him. Dalot, Pereira and Jones we may get some cash for also, and I would also let Matic go, if Garner is looking the part. For me, Haaland would be the prime target, then a good CB with athleticism and pace (I like Bailly, but his injury record is not good), and either Grealish, or a similar creative player, who can score goals.

croadyman

To be able to purchase new players, I think Ole will have to sell first, so with that, and also with Pogba's brother saying, more or less, that Paul will need to be sold this summer to make any money on him means that he won't sign a new deal (unless it's a completely over the top offer from Woodward), and will be off the following year, so cash in this summer. Jesse I think will also go, and if he keeps playing like he did last night, then we should get a decent amount for him. Dalot, Pereira and Jones we may get some cash for also, and I would also let Matic go, if Garner is looking the part. For me, Haaland would be the prime target, then a good CB with athleticism and pace (I like Bailly, but his injury record is not good), and either Grealish, or a similar creative player, who can score goals.
Yeah think you can also throw in Martial as well to that list

Rocknrolla69er

I read a good article on how with Van Dijk it allows Liverpool to overload attack, same with when we had Rio.

Commanding centre backs with massive strength and pace where are you

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I read a good article on how with Van Dijk it allows Liverpool to overload attack, same with when we had Rio.

Commanding centre backs with massive strength and pace where are you
I've been saying this about Van Dijk for a while now. It's just so obvious what he offers Liverpool defensively and offensively.

Rocknrolla69er

I've been saying this about Van Dijk for a while now. It's just so obvious what he offers Liverpool defensively and offensively.
Any potential Virgil's around?
I'm not buying the Upamenco hype after watching him closely vs us.
Konate seemed abit more disciplined
We look a lot better with Bailly purely due to his recovery pace

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah think you can also throw in Martial as well to that list
Possibly.
He needs to up his game drastically between now and the end of the season to stay I believe, although he took his two goals well the other night, he needs to make those runs, and get into the area a lot more in my opinion.
If we keep Cavani for another season, and get Haaland, then he could be on his way.

laughtersassassin

Selling Pogba doesn't help us improve the team in any way. He will need to be replaced with a new midfielder who can pass since no one else in ours is very good at it

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any potential Virgil's around?
I'm not buying the Upamenco hype after watching him closely vs us.
Konate seemed abit more disciplined
We look a lot better with Bailly purely due to his recovery pace
Ibrahima Konate is the closest player I've seen to VVD. But he's missed a lot of football due one particular injury in the last year which was likely brought on by the then 19 year old being over played at a young age. He's back in full training now and it'll be interesting to see who he fares for the rest of the season.

Rocknrolla69er

Ibrahima Konate is the closest player I've seen to VVD. But he's missed a lot of football due one particular injury in the last year which was likely brought on by the then 19 year old being over played at a young age. He's back in full training now and it'll be interesting to see who he fares for the rest of the season.
Then he should be our transfer priority all being well

Rocknrolla69er

Heavily linked with David Carmo around xmas , labelled the next Van Dijk, wonder if that may materialise in the summer

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Selling Pogba doesn't help us improve the team in any way. He will need to be replaced with a new midfielder who can pass since no one else in ours is very good at it
Selling Pogba will improve the team. Having Pogba in the team very often slows down our attacks, and his passing is not as accurate as you like to think. Both Fred and McTominay are decent passers of the ball, but I guess you mean passes between the lines, but a lot of those passes can be very good from Fred and McTominay if our forward players moved more decisively. Probably the best passer of the ball is VDB, but he really hasn't got his place in the team, and most of his passes are short, but he moves a lot into good positions (like Cavani does) but our players seem unable to pick him, or Cavani out, only Bruno and Mata seem to understand that movement at times.
VDB made a lot of runs on Tuesday, but no one picked up any of his runs.

croadyman

Realistically the best I can see us being able to sign this summer is backup RB and a cheap CB, if we can sell Jesse & Dalot for around £30m then maybe could look at Zakaria too depending on his price. We only spent around £65m in a part COVID affected market last summer so in a fully affected one I cannot see it being much more than that. Absolutely convinced there is no way we could afford a Konate/Kounde/Sancho without selling Pogba/Martial and can't see many takers in this financial situation.

Murray3007

Realistically the best I can see us being able to sign this summer is backup RB and a cheap CB, if we can sell Jesse & Dalot for around £30m then maybe could look at Zakaria too depending on his price. We only spent around £65m in a part COVID affected market last summer so in a fully affected one I cannot see it being much more than that. Absolutely convinced there is no way we could afford a Konate/Kounde/Sancho without selling Pogba/Martial and can't see many takers in this financial situation.
think the best we could hope for now is doing some kind of swap deals for these players, would be looking at getting Jovic from Madrid for one of the 2, think he is the ideal kind of striker we need now.

laughtersassassin

Selling Pogba will improve the team. Having Pogba in the team very often slows down our attacks, and his passing is not as accurate as you like to think. Both Fred and McTominay are decent passers of the ball, but I guess you mean passes between the lines, but a lot of those passes can be very good from Fred and McTominay if our forward players moved more decisively. Probably the best passer of the ball is VDB, but he really hasn't got his place in the team, and most of his passes are short, but he moves a lot into good positions (like Cavani does) but our players seem unable to pick him, or Cavani out, only Bruno and Mata seem to understand that movement at times.
VDB made a lot of runs on Tuesday, but no one picked up any of his runs.
Nonsense. This season proved we need Pogba. So if he goes we will need a top drawer replacement in the midfield. It's simply a fact.

If we want to compete we will have to replace him and look to add people like Grealish/Sancho or Halaand.

Otherwise we will just improve one area and massively weaken another.

croadyman

think the best we could hope for now is doing some kind of swap deals for these players, would be looking at getting Jovic from Madrid for one of the 2, think he is the ideal kind of striker we need now.
What about if it was a Juve swap deal instead

Murray3007

What about if it was a Juve swap deal instead
not sure there is much players from Juventus who would interest me personally in a swap deal, De ligt would be the obvious but he has the same agent as pogba and dont think he has done as well there as everyone was expecting.

justsomebloke

Do you not see a CDM as filling a hole because Matic is being phased out I reckon and wouldn't class either Fred or McTominay as actual DM's so that's the only reason I would prioritise that position. You may have a valid point about CB if Eric/Axel could stay fit but would still be worried about it. My gut feeling is that we are only looking for an experienced RB just to provide cover for AWB (similar to Telles with Luke at LB). Ideally we could use Eddy as rotation and bring in a younger one in the summer but that looks unlikely to me right now.
I don't think we have a hole in our central midfield. Certainly an upgrade would be justified, but even if Pogba should leave I don't think we look weak there with what we have. The situation at RB is in my opinion exactly as you describe it, but currently we don't have anyone who can AWB competetion for playing time there, or provide cover. We're using Lindelof or Tuanzebe. So that I would see as a hole in the squad.

laughtersassassin

I don't think we have a hole in our central midfield. Certainly an upgrade would be justified, but even if Pogba should leave I don't think we look weak there with what we have. The situation at RB is in my opinion exactly as you describe it, but currently we don't have anyone who can AWB competetion for playing time there, or provide cover. We're using Lindelof or Tuanzebe. So that I would see as a hole in the squad.
You simply can't sell Pogba and not replace him with a Midfielder or CDM. If we do that we are going absolutely nowhere

justsomebloke

You simply can't sell Pogba and not replace him with a Midfielder or CDM. If we do that we are going absolutely nowhere
We'd still have McTominay, Fred, van de Beek and Matic. 4 viable players for two slots. Right now we have more good central midfielders than we can use.

But of course, I agree that this is a position where we need to upgrade. I just don't think it's as urgent as some other positions. I'd be surprised if the proceeds of any Pogba sale would be reinvested in yet another central midfielder without shipping out one of the others (or unless Matic moves into a Mata-like Grandpa on the bench type status).

laughtersassassin

We'd still have McTominay, Fred, van de Beek and Matic. 4 viable players for two slots. Right now we have more good central midfielders than we can use.

But of course, I agree that this is a position where we need to upgrade. I just don't think it's as urgent as some other positions. I'd be surprised if the proceeds of any Pogba sale would be reinvested in yet another central midfielder without shipping out one of the others (or unless Matic moves into a Mata-like Grandpa on the bench type status).
Look at those name and tell me they are good enough if we want to be a top top team. The simple fact is they are not.

hubbuh

He likes to get stuck in and face up to his opponent which is what we need (assuming Bailly is not seen as a long-term option..). A CB, DM, and a forward player and we're set (and a replacement for Pogba assuming he's off).

Devil may care

Each area of the team needs a player added, Pogba will go and it looks like Ole is phasing Matic out, so unless Ole sees Van de Beek in the double pivot long term we will essentially be down to 2 midfielders. A holding midfielder who csn pass through the lines is crucial. Locatelli from Sassuolo looks a good option, he's got the technical side but is also physically built for the PL.

I like the recent Kounde link for CB and in attack Grealish hss become head and shoulders the best option over anyone else.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Matic May as well play on one leg at this point

M Bison

Supports
York City

Agree with this - i think the striker suggestion is a game changer though, put an RVP in the side i think we'd be favourites.

justsomebloke

Agree with this - i think the striker suggestion is a game changer though, put an RVP in the side i think we'd be favourites.
Haaland, Grealish, Trippier. Perhaps not entirely impossible with money for Pogba and Martial factored in. :)

croadyman

Haaland, Grealish, Trippier. Perhaps not entirely impossible with money for Pogba and Martial factored in. :)
Can't see us being able to sell either of them in the current market so can see us spending a very similar sum to last year

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I think we only need a AWB backup and a Cavani type signing for RW. Given current events, I would be happy with just those two during the summer.
I'm obviously hoping Tuanzebe works out for us and Matic stays for another year.

Daniel Wass (RB) from Valencia is massively underrated, could be a relatively cheap option even with the added United tax. Great cross, good energy.

For RW I don't think Sancho is worth 100+ million. I'd rather go for a more experienced player. Wait and see how Diallo and Pellistri develop.

Don't think there was ever a time since Fergie left where we've had so few problem areas. Don't shoot me down for lack of ambition. I really think this current squad has more in it than just a top 4 finish.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Bayerns CBs aren't that good. But they have exceptional midfield and attack. Said it before, it's not about which position is on immediate need for us. It's more about which excellent players we can get (at the right price).

For example, although CB is more in need, I'd rather go for Grealish, than try to find "another VVD" which like chasing a rainbow.

Zoo

A new goalkeeper. I don’t fancy De Gea or Henderson.