What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

wolvored

Perhaps a tactics coach a def coach a mid coach and att coach may be the way to go as we won't get any decent players this summer. Glazers won't want to spend and the deadwood won't want to leave as no one will pay their wages.

croadyman

Perhaps a tactics coach a def coach a mid coach and att coach may be the way to go as we won't get any decent players this summer. Glazers won't want to spend and the deadwood won't want to leave as no one will pay their wages.
Will certainly be cheaper investing in coaches than players in the eyes of those yankee leeches which will suit them down to the ground, still find it unbelievable that no one at the club seems to feel that signing a DM who can break the lines is important at all because we are lacking it massively in games against low block teams.

Yes there is also holes at CB, RW & by the looks of it now ST as well, however if we haven't got the necessary ability on the ball in the middle of the pitch in order to take it from our CB's and then give it to the forward players then it's a waste of time buying that RW/ST.

Ilia K

Hey guys, glad to be posting for the first time :)

Based on the latest financial results it seems that we would not be able to make more than 1 big signing and hopefully 2 side ones (probably a RB and CB). I can see that the most mentioned names out here are of course the two Dortmund guys, but who do you think will be the better option if we could choose only one?

In the last months I always thought we have to push for Sancho, as we definitely lack creativity and especially a creative winger, but now with this outburst from Haaland, can we afford not to go for him? We can wait for the creativity to come from Pogba (injury free for a whole season) and possibly some more help from Amad or even Donny if he gets better next season, as many people hope.

We all know that Ole has a plan for a rebuild and definitely Sancho (creative winger) was one of his first requirements, so wouldn't this be a little change in direction?

Reactions: Sultan

eire-red

We definitely need a CF, but I think if a top class CF isn't available this summer (aka Haaland), then look to strengthen the other areas needed.

Sancho, Neves and a CB (no idea who fits the bill) would a good summer in my eyes, or players in that mould at least. I think it is also down to how much potential the club sees in Greenwood. If they truly believe he'll be world class, then Sancho could be a smart option.

The other side of the coin is that not being in for Haaland means he goes to one of our rivals potentially, which could be a disaster. What's better: all in for Haaland, or try and flesh out the weaker areas in the squad? Hard to say really.

When I look at our team right now, and the results that have seen us fallen off from top spot, it's a lack of goals yes, but moreso a lack of creating chances. Does Haaland solve that? Are there enough goals in a forward line of Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho, with Martial and James as backups? I think there probably is, so do we need the balance and creativity that Sancho brings to our attack more?

I'd love to see Haaland at the club, but I'd also love to see us finally solve the problem areas in our squad over the last few seasons. It's a really big summer ahead.

Judas

Open to offers
We're going to go into next season with Matic, Fred and Mctominay, and that is absolutely tragic.

I think we'll go for a CB and a striker, failing the striker, Sancho. I don't think RW is a priority once again, which at this point shouldn't be a surprise.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s going to be a tricky one for Ole, he’s going to get criticism either way because he won’t have the money to address everything in the squad.

in an ideal world with no covid and a war chest available I’d go for:

DeLigt
DeJong
Haaland
Grealish

but alas the war chest is not only empty but it’s leaking, so best we can hope for is a couple of financially smart deals & maybe a few freebies

milenkovic
Richarlison

croadyman

We definitely need a CF, but I think if a top class CF isn't available this summer (aka Haaland), then look to strengthen the other areas needed.

Sancho, Neves and a CB (no idea who fits the bill) would a good summer in my eyes, or players in that mould at least. I think it is also down to how much potential the club sees in Greenwood. If they truly believe he'll be world class, then Sancho could be a smart option.

The other side of the coin is that not being in for Haaland means he goes to one of our rivals potentially, which could be a disaster. What's better: all in for Haaland, or try and flesh out the weaker areas in the squad? Hard to say really.

When I look at our team right now, and the results that have seen us fallen off from top spot, it's a lack of goals yes, but moreso a lack of creating chances. Does Haaland solve that? Are there enough goals in a forward line of Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho, with Martial and James as backups? I think there probably is, so do we need the balance and creativity that Sancho brings to our attack more?

I'd love to see Haaland at the club, but I'd also love to see us finally solve the problem areas in our squad over the last few seasons. It's a really big summer ahead.
Yeah we clearly won't be able to solve both problems in this COVID affected market so we will have to make a choice, personally I think there is more chance of being able to flesh out the weaker areas in the squad as you put it because still don't see Haaland moving until the summer of 2022. Mind you getting a CB, DM/DLP & RW also looks way too much to ask in this window so think we will be forced to make do with addressing just two of those positions in the summer.

Devil may care

We need 4 players even if Pogba stays but if we get 2 I'd breathe a sigh of relief. At this point we aren't even looking at a midfielder by the sound of things so hopefully that means Pogba is staying and unfortunately Ole has deluded himself into thinking McTominay is a holding midfielder and starter.

With those sobering thoughts in mind I'm sure we'll get a CB, Pau Torres and Milenkovic seem likely candidates as they're a bit cheaper than the better options. The other will be a forward and I think Sancho is still the most probable as I don't think Haaland or Calvert-Lewin will happen, we could end up getting an average striker on the cheap like Ings for the bench.

It’s going to be a tricky one for Ole, he’s going to get criticism either way because he won’t have the money to address everything in the squad.

in an ideal world with no covid and a war chest available I’d go for:

DeLigt
DeJong
Haaland
Grealish

but alas the war chest is not only empty but it’s leaking, so best we can hope for is a couple of financially smart deals & maybe a few freebies

milenkovic
Richarlison
Ancelotti seems intent on keeping Richarlison from his comments the other day, I don't think Everton are there for the plundering these days.

Litch

Not sure players are the answer. We have had a long list of successful transfers most of which have proven to play worst in a Utd shirt than the team they came from. We seem to want to blame the players more than those who sign them....

croadyman

Not sure players are the answer. We have had a long list of successful transfers most of which have proven to play worst in a Utd shirt than the team they came from. We seem to want to blame the players more than those who sign them....
So what do you think we should do in the summer

Litch

So what do you think we should do in the summer
Ole probably going to be here for a while but really think he needs some quality and experience in his coaching staff. We can get better players but they won't be in the same system, coaching etc....imo

croadyman

Ole probably going to be here for a while but really think he needs some quality and experience in his coaching staff. We can get better players but they won't be in the same system, coaching etc....imo
Yeah he definitely needs some more experienced coaching but don't think he feels the same

croadyman

Surely Ole is going to realise that we need minimum DM this summer in that area of the field, however if Pogba leaves then would need to add a creative CM to that as well because tonight yet again showed how little creativity we possess there. Yes I know there are also still issues at CB & possibly ST too (if Eddy leaves) but in regards to RW we saw some glimpses of what Amad could provide and maybe should give him a proper chance there from now until the end of the season.

beingshe7don

I would love Grealish to come to United but I think that ship has sailed. This is ambitious but if we could pull off Haaland & Sancho, that would be amazing. Deadwood: Mata, Martial, Pereira, Lingard, Matic need to be sold. If Pogba leaving would help us get Haaland, I would do that deal.

I would get Garner into the first team and invest in a DM like Declan Rice who can play as DCM as well as CB. CM options would include, Bruno, McT, Fred, Garner, VDB, Rice

So my transfer ins would include Haaland, Sancho, and Rice.

RRCE

I would love Grealish to come to United but I think that ship has sailed. This is ambitious but if we could pull off Haaland & Sancho, that would be amazing. Deadwood: Mata, Martial, Pereira, Lingard, Matic need to be sold. If Pogba leaving would help us get Haaland, I would do that deal.

I would get Garner into the first team and invest in a DM like Declan Rice who can play as DCM as well as CB. CM options would include, Bruno, McT, Fred, Garner, VDB, Rice

So my transfer ins would include Haaland, Sancho, and Rice.
For me, that’s the perfect window. Its exactly what we need. Sadly, it’ll be too logical and expensive for the club. We’ll be very lucky to get one of those players, with Sancho being the most likely in my opinion.

laughtersassassin

A midfielder who can pass the ball

A Striker

A CB

Our wingers will play much better if we sustain attacks. Right now they are playing on scraps

Brad2020

1. Central Defensive Midfielder
2. Center back
3. Right winger
4. Secondary Right back
5. Secondary Attacking midfielder
6. A striker

1) United have the most talented box to box midfielder in the world with Paul Pogba, and you can't properly use him half the time because United don't have a CDM that can hold down the fort. Even if they sell Pogba, your still going to need another attacking minded midfielder on the pitch, be it Van De Beek, Grealish ect.

2) Relates to one, United consistently play two defensive midfielders (Fred, Mctom) because the center back pairing is shaky. So in order to have just have one solid CDM, you need another CB.

3) United keep playing left wingers and center forwards on the right (Greenwood, James, Rashford) because United don't have one.

4) Arron Wan Bissaka needs some relief (Hopefully Williams can fill that role)

5) If Pogba goes United need another attacking midfielder who can play up front to give Fernandez some relief

6) Cavani is getting old, Martial can probably hold down the fort until Greenwood develops, but....we all know there are better options out there.

Rocknrolla69er

in no particular order any from the below pool.

Grealish
Zakaria
Matty Cash
Sancho
Konate
Varane
Bentancur
Neto
De Jong
Gabriel Veron

Not included Haaland as I don't believe he's obtainable yet, see covid then see his price tag.

croadyman

2. Center back
3. Right winger
4. Secondary Right back
6. A striker

1) United have the most talented box to box midfielder in the world with Paul Pogba, and you can't properly use him half the time because United don't have a CDM that can hold down the fort. Even if they sell Pogba, your still going to need another attacking minded midfielder on the pitch, be it Van De Beek, Grealish ect.

2) Relates to one, United consistently play two defensive midfielders (Fred, Mctom) because the center back pairing is shaky. So in order to have just have one solid CDM, you need another CB.

3) United keep playing left wingers and center forwards on the right (Greenwood, James, Rashford) because United don't have one.

5) If Pogba goes United need another attacking midfielder who can play up front to give Fernandez some relief

6) Cavani is getting old, Martial can probably hold down the fort until Greenwood develops, but....we all know there are better options out there.
Totally agree with those SIX positions (just saying that is nuts) but personally would switch around numbers 4 and 6

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
2. Center back
3. Right winger
4. Secondary Right back
6. A striker

Quite a few wankers in the fan base who could help them out

Macedonian Red

St - Haaland
Rw - Sancho/Raphinha/Neto
Dmf - Kessie/Rice
Cb - Varane
Rb - Aarons
Cm - Tielemans/Aouar

croadyman

Quite honestly I can see a window consisting of a CB & Trippier as a backup RB whilst Amad is going to be hailed by the club as the answer to our RW problem (too early) and Eddy will either stay on for another year or will be another stop gap buy

RedUnited76

3 players in this summer:
- Kieran Trippier
- Jason Sancho
- Pau Torres

Out:
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
- Daniel James
- Brandon Williams
- Jesse Lingard
- Sergio Romero
- Phil Jones
- Juan Mata

Extend contracts:
- Cavani
- Pogba

Starting 11:
- De Gea (Henderson)
- Van Bissaka (Trippier)
- Torres (Bailly)
- Maguire (Lindeløf)
- Shaw (Torres)
- McT (Fred)
- Pogba (Matic)
- Fernandes (De Beek)
- Sancho (Diallo)
- Rashford (Greenwood)
- Cavani (Martial)

2022: All in on Haaland and CM

croadyman

3 players in this summer:
- Kieran Trippier
- Jason Sancho
- Pau Torres

Out:
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
- Daniel James
- Brandon Williams
- Jesse Lingard
- Sergio Romero
- Phil Jones
- Juan Mata

Extend contracts:
- Cavani
- Pogba

Starting 11:
- De Gea (Henderson)
- Van Bissaka (Trippier)
- Torres (Bailly)
- Maguire (Lindeløf)
- Shaw (Torres)
- McT (Fred)
- Pogba (Matic)
- Fernandes (De Beek)
- Sancho (Diallo)
- Rashford (Greenwood)
- Cavani (Martial)

2022: All in on Haaland and CM
Haha no way can we afford Jason & Pau Torres unless we sell either Pogba/Martial but then lose Paul and we simply have to replace him this summer because there is no way Donny could offer the same quality to this team

SER19

Absolutely crying out for a right sided attacker that offers direct threat.

Devil may care

I'm starting to give up on the hope of us getting a midfielder and I'm not sure how Ole sees midfield, does he actually want a holder? I wonder if he intends to go with two box to box midfielders all of the time. I just hope we can keep Pogba under these circumstances otherwise the midfield will continue to be a weakness.

The CB feels a lock and there are a few decent options, the only one we are linked with that I've never been keen on is Milenkovic.

In the front line we need another wide player and we'll need a striker if Cavani goes, can't see us getting quality in both positions. With the wingers there are good options like Sancho, Raphina, Pedro Neto and even Pulisic. If we end up needing to buy a striker unfortunately I think it'll end up being someone like Ings.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rumours are Ole’s been given a budget of £80m by the Glazers and further spending is dependent on player sales.
The media always like to put nice round numbers out there for fans to digest, but its all mostly meaningless. Ultimately our budget will be determined by how we can structure the deals for both incoming and outgoing players. Majority of clubs are going to willing to accept lower transfer fees if they can get the right structure in place - be it front loaded or spread over x number of seasons - because there is a greater emphasis than ever before to fill the holes in their accounts. £80m could be enough to bring in 1 player or 5 depending on the circumstances, and clubs with money available this summer are going to have all of the power.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I put this in the Haaland thread but probably better here.

If you have a budget of approx 80 million as mentioned above, I think you could have a great summer and completely turn the squad around.

Sell:
Martial - 40 million
Pogba - 60 million
DDG - 20 million

That gives you 200 million to play with, plus may 10million for Dalot another 10 for Jesse, 5 for Chong and 5 for Pereira gives 230 million

Sancho 70-75 million
Haaland 100 million
Rice 50-55 million

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Rice Bruno McT

Sancho Haaland Rashford
With a back up:
Pereira
Williams Tuanzebe Bailly Telles

Matic Fred DvB

Amad Greenwood James
You'll still have Cavani, Jones, Mengi, Shoretire, Pellistri and Garner

Ben White is another option instead of Rice, as much as I'd hate to lose him from Brighton, he plays very comfortably as DM or CB in a two or a three, so could work as extra CB cover as well.

This probably an FM approach to things but what a trio that would be to sign!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Reckon Kane would come cheaper than Haaland, with the added bonus of his dad not hating us and him clearly get fed up of being at Spurs.

Would still be like £100m mind you. It’s just Haaland will be £130m plus

laughtersassassin

I put this in the Haaland thread but probably better here.

If you have a budget of approx 80 million as mentioned above, I think you could have a great summer and completely turn the squad around.

Sell:
Martial - 40 million
Pogba - 60 million
DDG - 20 million

That gives you 200 million to play with, plus may 10million for Dalot another 10 for Jesse, 5 for Chong and 5 for Pereira gives 230 million

Sancho 70-75 million
Haaland 100 million
Rice 50-55 million

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Rice Bruno McT

Sancho Haaland Rashford
With a back up:
Pereira
Williams Tuanzebe Bailly Telles

Matic Fred DvB

Amad Greenwood James
You'll still have Cavani, Jones, Mengi, Shoretire, Pellistri and Garner

Ben White is another option instead of Rice, as much as I'd hate to lose him from Brighton, he plays very comfortably as DM or CB in a two or a three, so could work as extra CB cover as well.

This probably an FM approach to things but what a trio that would be to sign!

Our midfield would be so poor creativly. Pogba is needed or someone who can replace his passing ability

Macedonian Red

If its true that our budget is 80m i think Ole will go for cheaper options and not that ones for the future as he love to says. No more Unites DNA excuses because his time without trophy is ticking. Soo...

Raphinha/Pedro Neto - 40m
Kessie 40m
Ramos free

Martial, Pogba, DDG and VDB are the players who still has a good prize and can be sold to make money(free salary cap as well) for more transfers: ST (Ronaldo?) and CMF probably. But its hard to find buyers this days.

dinostar77

Todays Transfer Window Podcast. According to them Utd are looking the following positions as priorities this summer (but dependent on budget and getting the targets). No suprises and no specific names mentioned.

A no 9, obviously Ole really wants Haaland. No suprise.

A centre mid who can play no6 or no8.

A backup right back.

A centre back partner for Maguire.

Thats the lot. Nothing about right wingers, guess with James/Greenwood/Diallo and hopefully Pellestri we have that covered for now and all should improve (hopefully).