What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Devil may care

Few transfer windows have ended with both the fans and manager so disappointed with the business or lack thereof that was done.

Mourinho supposedly wanted 6 players and only got 4, now one of those was supposedly a second CM but we re-signed the lump and now Andreas Pereira has a season to see if he can lay the groundwork to grow into that game controlling #6 Carrick replacement we need.

Not sure whether we'll return to the CB situation, I think that might be more dependent on who is manager come next summer, but the two positions I think will need to be addressed regardless is LB and a a Forward. Shaw scored a goal last night but I just don't see it happening for him at United and I think we'll have to finally buy a LB next summer, and if we intend to keep with 4-3-3 we are going to need a RWF or if we switch to 3-5-2 then we'll need a #10, if we could get a player that can play both positions, even better.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You mean we only got 3? And one of them hardly counts as he's a backup GK.

el3mel

Exactly what we needed pre summer 2018 huh ? We didn't strengthen any weak points anyway.

2 fullbacks and a right winger.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Definitely need a RB and RW. If Bailly and Lindelöf can stay fit I think they could be a decent pairing with smalling Jones as back up. If we have to splurge some obscene amount of money on someone I’d rather get another striker.

Crashoutcassius

Been dying for this thread !

Tbh we only really get informed of this once we have played a few games. Whatever happens tho if alderwereld is available for a good price in January that's gonna be a good addition

TehRed

As stated, two fullbacks and a right winger.

This time next year, I expect Darmian will be sold. Young and Valencia will likely be headed out of the club to step down in level, or one of them may hang around as cover. Mata may very well be gone too, and there's still questions over Martial's future.

Devil may care

I'm hoping we won't need a RB as Dalot has potential and he's a decent sized athlete as well so hopefully he will get the spot quicker than an average kid his age.

You mean we only got 3? And one of them hardly counts as he's a backup GK.
Whoops, I meant 2 actually, I'd forgotten about that keeper we signed.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
CB that is capable aerially and that can actually play out from the back.

Right winger.

LB competition.

Let’s see how Dalot comes along. We’re really strong in midfield and LW/ST positions.

Mylock

We need the manager to support the players instead of hanging them out to dry. We need martial, rashford and sanchez to contribute 30 to 40 goals this season, shaw to nail down the lb role, dalot to surprise us all . Pogba to boss the midfield and show he's willing to commit long term and become our next great captain, jose to cheer up and give the team the freedom to express themselves. Im not asking for too much.:)

YouOnlyLiveTwice

If Pereira could take over long term from Matic, it would be perfect for us. Shaw will have time to show that he can be a starting LB for us now.

A right-winger is a must.

Difficult to predict though :D

jesperjaap

We COULD need so much

Come the summer we need two new full backs to replace Valencia/YOung I would expect even if they are back ups should SHaw and Dalot do well. Mensah is no full back. Ethan Laird looks promising there.
Only two games is , but I dont think this season really changes the to me at least glaringly obvious fact we need to totally rebuild in the centre back area. We have about six centre backs at the moment and you could argue none of them are good enough as starters anyway. I think we need TWo centre backs.....so basically we need a whole new back four either as starters or back ups.

Our central midfield is pretty well stocked now, but I still feel Fellaini and Herrera could well be moved on and Matic wont be too young either. Another quality central midfielder wouldnt be a bad thing at all.

What is Sanches again fails this season and martial if still here, still wants to go? We are then left with Rashford on the left as the only option. On the right Mata has to go and we are then left with only Lingard. The only striker we then have is Lukaku who I dont rate whatsoever.

Basically I think everything needs ripping up and rebuilding as overall it just isnt good enough. That includes a DOF or someone similar to take over transfers from Woodward, a manager to take over from Mourinho as the melt down is going to happen and we need to get back to attacking football.

In my mind we have massively failed in only offloading Blind. There are due to age, wanting to go, not being good enough or failing to perform a good THIRTEEN players you could argue to sell.

I would love us to raise a lot of money from selling off the majority of these types of players, give that money to a new exciting, attack minded manager, and build a great new side involving the likes of Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Laird and lets see some Dalot like signings rather than Matic ones (n odisrespect to Matic who has done well). Build for the future the likes of Wan Bissaka, Arthur Zagre, Upemecano, DeLight, NDOmbele, Ascacibar, Guimaraes, Sancho, Chiesa, Lincoln, Gouiri, Sessegnon. There are some really exciting young talents out there not at huge clubs. I would be happy for another year or two of another transition if it was actually a transition to playing the right type of football with genuinely gifted exciting young players not Galaticos, or older players in either a slow, unimaginative and negative type of football

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We COULD need so much

Come the summer we need two new full backs to replace Valencia/YOung I would expect even if they are back ups should SHaw and Dalot do well. Mensah is no full back. Ethan Laird looks promising there.
Only two games is , but I dont think this season really changes the to me at least glaringly obvious fact we need to totally rebuild in the centre back area. We have about six centre backs at the moment and you could argue none of them are good enough as starters anyway. I think we need TWo centre backs.....so basically we need a whole new back four either as starters or back ups.

Our central midfield is pretty well stocked now, but I still feel Fellaini and Herrera could well be moved on and Matic wont be too young either. Another quality central midfielder wouldnt be a bad thing at all.

What is Sanches again fails this season and martial if still here, still wants to go? We are then left with Rashford on the left as the only option. On the right Mata has to go and we are then left with only Lingard. The only striker we then have is Lukaku who I dont rate whatsoever.

Basically I think everything needs ripping up and rebuilding as overall it just isnt good enough. That includes a DOF or someone similar to take over transfers from Woodward, a manager to take over from Mourinho as the melt down is going to happen and we need to get back to attacking football.

In my mind we have massively failed in only offloading Blind. There are due to age, wanting to go, not being good enough or failing to perform a good THIRTEEN players you could argue to sell.

I would love us to raise a lot of money from selling off the majority of these types of players, give that money to a new exciting, attack minded manager, and build a great new side involving the likes of Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Laird and lets see some Dalot like signings rather than Matic ones (n odisrespect to Matic who has done well). Build for the future the likes of Wan Bissaka, Arthur Zagre, Upemecano, DeLight, NDOmbele, Ascacibar, Guimaraes, Sancho, Chiesa, Lincoln, Gouiri, Sessegnon. There are some really exciting young talents out there not at huge clubs. I would be happy for another year or two of another transition if it was actually a transition to playing the right type of football with genuinely gifted exciting young players not Galaticos, or older players in either a slow, unimaginative and negative type of football
Hard to disagree with any of that
I really like NDombele as a player, I’d love to see us get him

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Go and buvy Wan Bissaka from Palace as a start. Will be a top right back

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
90% of us on here would agree that we probably still need a quality:

- Centre back
- Left back
- Right winger

I'd also argue that we still need another right back to compete with Dalot for next year, as I don't think Valencia will be a good / realistic option.

(Oh, and perhaps a new manager, director of football, board and owner(s) too whilst we're at it).

JoaquinJoaquin

- Centre back
- Left back
- Right winger

I'd also argue that we still need another right back to compete with Dalot for next year, as I don't think Valencia will be a good / realistic option.

(Oh, and perhaps a new manager, director of football, board and owners too whilst we're at it).
So frustrating we are in this position, as we all hoped prior to the Summer window that this would be addressed.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So frustrating we are in this position, as we all hoped prior to the Summer window that this would be addressed.
Yes, it's incredibly frustrating.

The way I am trying to remain positive is hoping that we will go mental in the transfer market next summer, probably under a new manager too, and Woodward is simply reserving some of the funds.

Wishful thinking perhaps.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yes, it's incredibly frustrating.

The way I am trying to remain positive is hoping that we will go mental in the transfer market next summer, probably under a new manager too, and Woodward is simply reserving some of the funds.

Wishful thinking perhaps.
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. But I can't help but think we will need to replace Pogba and Martial aswell as those positions.

Kapardin

- Centre back
- Left back
- Right winger

(Oh, and perhaps a new manager, director of football, board and owners too whilst we're at it).
If we are going to go all out like City did, and have the ambition to win PL/CL and dominate the league,

1) RB with Dalot as understudy unless latter springs a surprise and shows extraordinary talent
2) LB with Shaw as understudy (retire Young)
3) CB -- an experienced 29-30 year old who can be a leader at the back.
4) One attacking midfielder (let Herrera or Fellaini leave instead)
5) One DM to eventually replace Matic, a Jorginho type player.
6) A right winger.
7) Potentially a #10 if we need to play 4-2-3-1.

Feck me, we need a virtual surgery. Part of the reason we need so many players is because LvG's and Jose's signings didn't work out at all.

But practically, we atleast need a LB, CB and RW as you said. That itself will seem like a godsend as we never seem to be settled in those positions, forget the other signings.

Murray3007

we need a football director with a vision, a manager who will play to this vision and take it from there. we like Ed knew what was coming when Jose took over and most of the Café were accepting of this when he 1st arrived because they thought he would bring the premiership title. we might have finished 2nd last year but were never in a title race. apart from De Gea I wouldn't be to upset if any player left the club quite simply because they never try or perform on a constant basis or don't have the quality needed. the longer this goes the harder it will be to fix. when a Jose team cant defend you no his time is up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. But I can't help but think we will need to replace Pogba and Martial aswell as those positions.
Not sure Martial would need desperately replacing. A young whippersnapper of a winger that isn't arsed about playing time and can play either side would be cool (alongside the shiny right winger obviously), but we have Sanchez and Rashford who can play there. Not that he puts in great performances, but we really need to keep Pogba. With a full team and potentially a new manager he might be good enough.

humdinger

We COULD need so much

This is a bit depressing, because I think you're right, and I'm pretty sure hardly any of it will come to fruition.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can’t believe how many in here want us to sign a RB again! Ffs. We just bought one whonis yet to play for us.

I’d say a LB, centre-half/halves and a winger.

If we look at a lineup as horizontal lines, our first line (De Gea) is good enough, the second line (back 4) is not. If Young and Valencia are still starting for us next season, I may stop watching football.

The middle next line is the only outfield one that is good enough for me, with Matic, Pogba and Fred, although serious questions remain as to whether we would still have the main man in there next year.

The front line isn’t good enough across the board for me. Sanchez/Lukaku/Mata is not a sharp enough sharp end. Of course, hope still remains for Sanchez as his class has been proven. Lukaku isn’t good enough, although very difficult to upgrade in the transfer market. Mata is nowhere near good enough.

Assuming we retain Pogba, I’d be happy with a window of say, Tierney, Maguire or Alderweireld and another like Upemecano, and a top tier forward or at least real potential to be one.

I’d like Young, Valencia, Lindelöf, Rojo, Mata to go. I’d also have few qualms if we found an offer to be acceptable for Lukaku, Herrera or Rashford.

I’m also aware there is unlikely to be anywhere near as much churn as that, but I’d be content if there was.

Minimalist

We only have two recognised full backs. Shaw and Darmian (yeah let’s not get into that...). Dalot is a youngster. Valencia and Young are wingers who can do a shift.

How this isn’t a priority I don’t know.

Wing (wide attackers) is almost as bad when you consider the players playing there (none of them are at their best in that position).

ravi2

We made a serious error this transfer window by not getting a LB, CB and RW.
Now Pogba wants to leave, god knows how many more positions we would need to fill by next summer.

Our transfer and scouting policy are a joke for a top tier club. Both Jose and Ed need to go, rip it up and start over because it isnt working.

Infra-red

Strengthened 1 of the 6 weak areas of the squad this summer. Still weak in both fullback positions and at CB, #6, & RW.

Having said all that, it seems quite likely that we'll have a new manager by next season, one who may or may not been keen on existing players like Lukaku/Matic/Sanchez etc, and will want to bring in his own players regardless. Pogba (and others) may well leave, too. At this point, therefore, we can't really predict what we'll be looking for next summer.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As far as I'm concerned, so far this season no one at the club, with the exception of DDG, should feel they can't be replaced. the team needs strengthening and so does the squad

Kaarel

Our back 4 options are really bad. Whoever will be the manager next season has to sort it out as priority. I hope Dalot will show us that he can be a long term RB options, still not convinced by Shaw and i dont think Mourinho is either.

A left back and a top class centre back to lead a partnership with Bailly is what we need for sure.

And obviously a right winger.

beergod

LB, CB, RW obviously

We really need a viable backup to Lukaku. Fellaini somewhat mitigates things by being a viable targetman, but then you are pigeonholed into using him from the start.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RW, CB, Backup striker and a Coach that can get the team actually working together.

Fer

Priorities: Defender, fullback and winger.

I would try to invest in young players. For example:

LB: Tierney or Sessegnon
CB: Skriniar or De Ligt
RW: Pulisic or Dembele

Konimey

First and foremost United needs a director of football who is going to revamp this failing structure we have right now and bring things into order on the footballing front. Woody needs to stay away from the footballing aspect and stick to the commercial aspect of the club, he is good at his job.
Secondly United needs to address the RW situation which has been an issue for God knows how long, the fullbacks and CBs can come after that. I mean for almost 5 seasons United have had a gaping hole on the right making our attacks lopsided and predictable, yet how no one addressed it window after window is mind boggling.
And lastly Jose needs to get his act together or leave, the guy seethes negativity from the press conferences to tactics on the pitch, it has been really painful watch at times. I know that the fans largely do not want Zizou who is available, but what about someone like Jardim? The guy has a good track record of promoting young talent and play positive attacking football. Or someone else who will surely want to manage Manchester United.

Devil may care

I don't know about this massive overhaul stuff, I genuinely believe a change in coaching and in man management will see a lot more coming from this squad, I mean before we made it clear a CB was on the list, not many here thought we needed one, we had a good defensive record last season and yes we had a shit show against Brighton, but prior to the summer a CB wasn't this desperate need so many now seem to feel it is because that's the narrative that has been created over the summer.

Then I see calls for multiple fullbacks, I think Dalot is seen as the future at RB and I imagine Young and Valencia will do one more season as back-ups regardless of who is manager. LB is still a position we will likely need to buy in but Luke Shaw has a season now to see if he can get a Hollywood ending, then we assess the situation in the summer.

Midfield is still a concern IMO, will Pogba still be here? Depends on if Mourinho is, if he is then Matic will be locked in but if we've moved to a more expansive manager who wants to press and open up, then he might well need a more mobile and agile DM. Fellaini depends on if his biggest fan stays, I expect a new manager looking to play the right way to bin him off ASAP and buy some immediate goodwill. Herrera could well see out his contract and just bounce for free, then there's Pereira, will he get enough game time to make a real case for himself? Fred obviously needs a season to see how he settles, and McTominay is a player I see going on loan unless Daddy Jose stays.

Everyone talks about needing a RW but it depends on if we are going to continue with 4-3-3 but we definitely need some extra craft in attack, I still think Eriksen is the ideal choice but he's probably letting that contract wind down so he can get off to Barca or Real.

Fer

I would buy to players for the attack (CAM/RW) and 2 defenders (CB/LB).

CAM: Someone like James, Draxler, Fekir, etc. We need someone creative to support our attack.
RW: I would go for a young winger, someone like Dembele, Sancho, Pulisic, Bailey, etc.

CB: There are quality options such as Alderweireld, Skriniar, Koulibaly, De Ligt, etc.
LB: If Dalot fulfill his potential, then we would need a LB to replace Young and to rotate with Shaw. It can be Tierney or even Sessegnon.

During the season, there will be new quality players that could improve our team. I would try to invest mostly in young and talented players.