What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Long Ball

"gettable" players if we are looking to improve across the pitch. I'm not saying we need them all btw

CB - Maguire, alderwiereld, de ligt
LB - Tierney, sandro, sessegnon
RB - Munier (not sure if PSG would sell)
CM - savic,
AM - fekir
RW - pullisic, zaha (more central these days I guess)
Back up ST - unsure

Andersons Dietician

New manager

Ousmane Dembele
Ruben Neves
Skriniar

Don’t know if I could pick a 4th as I want to see what Dalot is going to do this season and the only other places would be a back up striker role possibly.

Maybe Lucas Hernandez for CB/LB and Ndombele as a midfield option.
Wrote this in another thread a while back but starting to think we might need another CB on top of Skriniar so Lucas Hernandez.

bucky

LB: Ferland Mendy (don't think Shaw will stay fit)
CB: Pavard or Skriniar
CM: NDombele
#10 or RW: Fekir or Bertrand Traore

What I am currently hoping to see. Basically Lyon.

deafepl

Skriniar deal will happen sooner than before, given our sloppy defence, we will get him in the winter, in the summer Kante is likely to be top of our summer target list, claimed by Axel Wiesel's agents.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is fm style but i don't find any flaw in this. Sell rojo, jones and lindelof for 25-30 each. Buy skriniar and toby for 120. And we are set to go. If jose fails to play nice football and win something with that squad then he deserves to be fired. But give him what he wants.

deafepl

There’s no way Inter will sell Skriniar, even for £100M.
They didn't accept our offer because they want more than 70m pounds. That's why I think it will happen, given our defence situation, we'd be in trouble and more pressure if we didn't pay for one of best defenders in Serie A

crossy1686

career ending
I say this every year but I hope Shaw stays fit and maintains form.

Then we’re looking at these positions:

RB: Chilwell or hopefully Dalot
CB: Maguire, De Ligt
CM: Savic
RW: Fekir, Dybala
ST: Icardi

bucky

I say this every year but I hope Shaw stays fit and maintains form.

Then we’re looking at these positions:

RB: Chilwell or hopefully Dalot
CB: Maguire, De Ligt
CM: Savic
RW: Fekir, Dybala
ST: Icardi
Quite like the look of him, but isn't he a LB?

dpansheth

I like dybala and have watched him but unless we get a classy RB he’ll have issues imo. Hence dalot’s cemebting the spot is very important for us.

Cheekiey

For me it's just the RW spot and obviously a CB. Get Alexis as a striker with Rom. way better up top than out wide these days (pre season is an example).
Get Rashy and Martial to fight it out for the LW spot. New RW and Lingard to fight it out. Actually attempt to get Toby Mr woodworm or go all out for Skriniar.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It is fm style but i don't find any flaw in this. Sell rojo, jones and lindelof for 25-30 each. Buy skriniar and toby for 120. And we are set to go. If jose fails to play nice football and win something with that squad then he deserves to be fired. But give him what he wants.
Add a RW and a fullback to your list and I'm happy :)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Add a RW and a fullback to your list and I'm happy :)
New rw means selling martial( his playing time is already at minimum so with new attacking player he would be fecked). I don't want to lose him. We have rw. It is sanchez or even rashford. I don't know why jose is that much against those options and plays with lingard there as some false winger.
And i also think after this shaw displays that we don't need new full back. For now... until we see dalot in action and can shaw stay fit in longer period.
Give me two world class defenders. That is all i want

Devil may care

If we went balls out I'd love to see this, but I suspect only one CB change and instead of Eriksen in to add some craft to the midfield 3 it'll probably be Fred or Lingard there. Personally I'd then take Eriksen on the RW over Pulisic but then we'd have the issue of him mostly floating inside which means Dalot would have a hell of a lot of flank to cover.

I'm probably just pie in the skying Neves as well but I genuinely think he's too good to miss out on, he reminds me so much of Xabi Alonso in that he has the passing game of a DLP but with some actual DM bite.

Murray3007

still could do with a manager with a plan for a start for me.

position wise

RB - on paper we have a lot but we need to be looking at better then Valencia, Young, Darmain. Dalot might come good but that's a few years away yet.
CB - if could get a CB who can organise then would work fine with Smalling. De Ligt would be my choice
CM - Neves not caring where we put him but think he's going to be a superstar in the premiership quicker we get him the less we will need to pay
RW - not sure really who is available now for this position but its defo needing filled.
ST - still don't believe Lukkau will ever take us to the top so if a TOP striker becomes available then we should be all over it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A centre half seems to be a real necessity. I just hope whoever he is is aerially dominant.

Even if Dalot establishes himself at RB, with Darmian gone next year, it’s still possible we will be light there. One of Young/Valencia at least will still need to be here as back up next season, and that’s based on the positive of both Shaw and Dalot being first choice by then.

We need to see what happens with Sanchez this year, as well as Martial, Rashford and Chong - but the wide areas lack a standout, consistent match winner at present.

I would also love to see Rodrigo come in. I am not a big fan of Lukaku and think Rodrigo could step up a level as a CF, as he’s quite a complete forward, but at the same time, he can play on the right too.

Woziak

If we had won our first 4 games, most of us would be saying we need just two maybe three players, a Right Winger, Another CFW and a Centre Back. The fact that we lost 2 now means we need 7 or 8 players. The reality is somewhere in the middle with the club probably needing 4 or 5 players and young players who are currently on loan developing into the finished article.

This reality is that we probably need the following types of player as a matter of utmost urgency;

2 CB's from - Skriniar, Maguire, Varanne, Auderweireld, J Tarkowski, J Lascelles, K Koulibaly

1 Right Winger - L Bailly, R Sessegnon, C Pullisic, J Sancho, M Rheus, H Lozano

CFW - Mandzukic, Benzema, Cavani, Icardi

Any 4 from the above list but on the Cbs only 1 English CB of Maguire, Tarkowski or J Lascelles to join the Import would significantly improve our spine. At Right Wing Back TFM could compete with D Dalot and L Shaw would have A Young as back up for 1 more season then we could go K Tierney or B Chillwell who is a left wing back not right sided!
The Final signing would be dependent on Pogba leaving if ge goes for circa £150M then we replace him with SMS from Lazio or Reuben Neves from Wolves.

Its not inconceivable that selling Mata, Jones, Darmian, Pogba would give us £200M towards the £270 to £300M investment needed above. Sanchez also needs to improve significantly or should be sold with an unhappy Pogba. Two players currently picking up 800k per week, yet unhappy with life and their football at the biggest club in the World, a weekly sum which was the exact same as Ronaldo, Tevez, prime Rooney, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs all earnt combined when we won the CL in 08 some 10 years tells you what's currently wrong with the club!

Fosu-Mens

A DoF to take overall charge of the long term planning and strategy of the football related part of this corporation.
Replacing the manager is just a short fix and will not fix anything long term.

Fer

Priorities: CB and RW

I would also add a coupe of young players like Neves and Lozano (if Martial leaves). IMO we need a world class CAM, someone like Eriksen, Dybala, James or even Fekir.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Pavard looks like a really good player. He'd be excellent.

Red_Orchestra

An actual gameplan to start things off before spending 2 or 300 million.
Nevertheless, it is the absolute same old song being sung on this board from the last 3 years.
What does this team need? We need a Fullback, Center Back, and a Right Winger.

laughtersassassin

Well we certainly need new first team options for center back, right back and right wing. Right back could be filled by Dalot but even so then we will likely need a back up for him.

Would be disappointed if we don't get one of these options sorted in January. Can't leave all our problems until summer as with our turbulent nature and the probability of some of our better players leaving we could have even more problems to sprt come summer.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I can confidently say we won’t get half of what we need. We need a lot and it’s never been harder to sign quality players.

The Irish Connection

Alderwereld on the cheap in Jan would be fine business
I've been thinking that as well, but, maguire being 4 years younger, homegrown, good in the air and on the ball, actually looks like possibly the better option for 70mil.

In general though, we need a good right winger obviously, let's keep an eye out this season.
I would consider vardy for 2nd striker.
And one of Neves or De Jong have to be looked at. De Jong would be my pick. Looks absolute class for his age. A bit like modric and Kroos rolled into one.

angusaa07

Neves would be perfect for us he's going to be some player.
Skriniar a classy much needed centre half.
Douglas Costa or Bertrand Traore a proper out and out right winger / forward.
A left back as cover for Shaw.
I think Dier also could be a good purchase i know he's played alot in centre midfield but he reminds me a little of Kompany who also done this. A younger ball playing centre half who is british with good experience.
Also Rabiot may come available in January who i think is brilliant, he may be much needed to bolster midfield when Pogba leaves which i think is a certainty. Might have to battle Barcelona for him tho.
Sell Rojo, Bailey, Herrera, Fellani, and Sanchez to free up funds.

roseguy64

I'd think a CB and another attacker. Either a RW or a ST. Maybe a backup fullback depending on how TFM does on loan as I expect Darmian to go in January.

suhaylah

We need a world class CB, RB and RW. We also need someone to compete with shaw. Sell Valencia, Jones, Darmian and Young.

poleglass red

there's still a few positions I'd like to upgrade in, but being realistic , there are 2 that must be upgraded, centre half and right wing

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

If we went balls out I'd love to see this, but I suspect only one CB change and instead of Eriksen in to add some craft to the midfield 3 it'll probably be Fred or Lingard there. Personally I'd then take Eriksen on the RW over Pulisic but then we'd have the issue of him mostly floating inside which means Dalot would have a hell of a lot of flank to cover.

I'm probably just pie in the skying Neves as well but I genuinely think he's too good to miss out on, he reminds me so much of Xabi Alonso in that he has the passing game of a DLP but with some actual DM bite.
I like it but not sold on pulisic yet, plus it would in my guesstimate cost about €350m to add those players.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A commanding centre half and a match-winner in attack to do what Sanchez has failed to do.

SAFMUTD

We urgently need a class CB who is comfortable on the ball, who allows us to play from the back and a proper RW with pace that allows us to play like a counter attacking team like Mourinho plans.

Ideally we should also look for a back up striker. Right now if Lukaku gets injured we have no one who can fit his role, last season we tried Rashford and he is not suited, neither is Martial. Also for a CDM to give Matic some rest, last season he started great and then started going downhill as the season progressed and he didn´t got any rest. While Mourinho has used Pereira there I don´t think that is where he is best suited, although he has good distribution and technique, he lacks the physicallity required.

My realistic options would be:

CB:
1st Option: De Ligt
Other options: Koulibaly, Skriniar, Pavard

RW:
1st Option: Bernardeschi
Other options: Under, Pulisic, Hirving Lozano

Back up CF:
1st Option: Mandzukic
Other Options: Bacca, Mario Gomez, Callum Wilson, Giovanni Simeone

CDM:

1st Option: Ruben Neves
Other Options: Doucoure, Ndidi

Devil may care

I like it but not sold on pulisic yet, plus it would in my guesstimate cost about €350m to add those players.
Yeah, that is the balls out version, my guess is we'll overlook Neves and will likely be unable to pry Eriksen from Levy. I definitely think we'll get one CB but the 2nd would depend on us getting rid of a couple. I agree it might be a bit too soon for Pulisic but it could be a situation where we have to make a move ahead of time to make sure we get him, as I do think he'll progress into being a top attacking talent.

Devil may care

Not worth making a thread on due to it being the sun, but they have a story tonight that we are interested in Frenkie de Jong.

dutchred

Not worth making a thread on due to it being the sun, but they have a story tonight that we are interested in Frenkie de Jong.
De Jong would be the perfect replacement for Matic long term
United should really go for de Jong and De Light next summer