What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Suedesi

This is where I’m at:

2 cms or 1 DM + 1 cm (+1 IF Pogba leaves)
1 cb
1 lb
1 RW/rwf
1 gk if DeGea doesn’t sign

Gonna be a long rebuild
It's about right. Assuming no departures, we need 2CMs, 1 RW at a minimum - upgrades to Lindelof, Shaw and a striker would be nice.

Devil may care

I agree with some of what @bosnian_red says above, Lindelof and Shaw will likely need upgradng eventually but they are cracks in the dam, we need to fix the holes first and given how slow we are at getting transfers done I think they'll have to wait for a bit yet.

I'm 99% sure Pogba will go next summer and if we activate Matic's extra year then you can add that to the list of dumb shit we've done over the last few years, it would be even dumber than the 2 year contract we gave Mata. For me that means 2 CM signings are a must, one #6 and one #8.

Saul would be a great option for the #8 but his buyout clause is huge and Atleti academy players seem fairly loyal, I also like Fabian Ruiz for the #8 but Napoli will be hard to negotiate with and even though Bentancur extended his contract Juve have a lot a CM's so a deal for him might be possible.

The #6 is trickier, we are probably going to have to go young and I think we missed a trick not getting Roca with his €40M buyout clause, that's a steal in the current market. I don't think Ole will go for a pure DM like Ndidi or Rice, he'll look for a Carrick type, obviously Longstaff is going to keep getting mentioned but I hope we are watching Sandro Tonali. I also like Florentino Luis but his new buyout clause will put him out of reach if Benfica take the same non negotiable stance they did with Joao Felix.

The RW and #10 are straight forward, Sancho and Havertz....getting them? much less straight forward. My secondary choice for RW is Chiesa, but I'm not sure about a secondary choice for the #10, I stand by my view of Bruno and I'm just not totally sold on Maddison who I know many will pick.

Fer

I agree with some of what @bosnian_red says above, Lindelof and Shaw will likely need upgradng eventually but they are cracks in the dam, we need to fix the holes first and given how slow we are at getting transfers done I think they'll have to wait for a bit yet.

I'm 99% sure Pogba will go next summer and if we activate Matic's extra year then you can add that to the list of dumb shit we've done over the last few years, it would be even dumber than the 2 year contract we gave Mata. For me that means 2 CM signings are a must, one #6 and one #8.

Saul would be a great option for the #8 but his buyout clause is huge and Atleti academy players seem fairly loyal, I also like Fabian Ruiz for the #8 but Napoli will be hard to negotiate with and even though Bentancur extended his contract Juve have a lot a CM's so a deal for him might be possible.

The #6 is trickier, we are probably going to have to go young and I think we missed a trick not getting Roca with his €40M buyout clause, that's a steal in the current market. I don't think Ole will go for a pure DM like Ndidi or Rice, he'll look for a Carrick type, obviously Longstaff is going to keep getting mentioned but I hope we are watching Sandro Tonali. I also like Florentino Luis but his new buyout clause will put him out of reach if Benfica take the same non negotiable stance they did with Joao Felix.

The RW and #10 are straight forward, Sancho and Havertz....getting them? much less straight forward. My secondary choice for RW is Chiesa, but I'm not sure about a secondary choice for the #10, I stand by my view of Bruno and I'm just not totally sold on Maddison who I know many will pick.

Players like Sancho and Havertz are dream signings, it would be great if we can get at least Sancho. I hope Ole gives Gomes a proper chance as CAM instead of playing Lingard this season.
I like that you suggested other alternatives like Chiesa and Florentino Luis.

I think there are going to be quality players available next summer. If we can't get the players you mentioned... What is your opinion on:
AM: Eriksen (free)
CM: Van de Beek
DM: Neves
RW: Zaha

BTW, who do you rate higher between Fernandes and Maddison?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It seems that no one else is cottoning on to the LW also being a major issue, especially if Martial is going to be striker. Rashford doesn't cut the mustard there.

Devil may care

Players like Sancho and Havertz are dream signings, it would be great if we can get at least Sancho. I hope Ole gives Gomes a proper chance as CAM instead of playing Lingard this season.
I like that you suggested other alternatives like Chiesa and Florentino Luis.

I think there are going to be quality players available next summer. If we can't get the players you mentioned... What is your opinion on:
AM: Eriksen (free)
CM: Van de Beek
DM: Neves
RW: Zaha

BTW, who do you rate higher between Fernandes and Maddison?
I've always liked and rated Eriksen but I think he'll move out of the PL when he goes, if neither of the big two in Spain want him I could see him at Atletico, shame as he'd be the ideal #10 for us as he's versatile, PL proven and at the prime age to come in and give his best years while Gomes plays as his understudy.

I rate Van de Beek as well and he is also really versatile, I think he'd be a good addition to the squad.

I like Neves but @Adnan has brought up some fair points about his mobility and agility, I think the tactics Wolves play help him, as does having a back 3 behind him, if he was playing in our current midfield system we'd need to basically sign a DM like Ndidi to cover him I feel.

Never rated Zaha and still don't, like I say Chiesa would be my back up choice to Sancho and if that doesn't fly then I'd take a look at what kind of season Bergwijn has had.

Maddison, I haven't changed my view on Bruno, I still think he ends up at a mid table team, there is a rawness to his play that shouldn't be there at his age. Maddison needs to improve his end product but he's young enough to do so and technically I think he's class, plus he can deliver a cross and his set piece delivery is very good, something we've not had in a long time.

Devil may care

It seems that no one else is cottoning on to the LW also being a major issue, especially if Martial is going to be striker. Rashford doesn't cut the mustard there.
I don't think it's that no one has cottoned on, it's just we all know "Rashy" is the poster child, the golden boy, he's going to be in that starting 11 every week come hell or high water.

Bwuk

For next summer

- if De Gea doesn't renew, we'll either have to give Henderson a chance depending how he gets on at Sheffield this season, or buy. We could really do with Henderson having a fantastic season, as we have a lot of issues to address and only so much £.

- Luke Shaw needs replaced, or at the very least competition. Williams and Laird get a lot of talk from the youth side, but unless one of them breaks through this season and establishes himself I think we need to get a left back in.

- Assuming Pogba stays, we need another creative midfielder to play with him, 2 if he leaves. Hopefully Gomes can establish himself this season, and reduce the worry for that. We could really do with someone who can pick a pass from deep, a Carrick/Alonso idea.

- I'm fine with McTominay as part of the squad, and being picked in bigger games to help combat sides (Darren Fletcher style). I can't say the same about Fred, and Matics legs have gone.

- We desperately need a right winger. Apparently Sancho was available for 100m, honestly think we'd be as well as paying it. He's top class and is proving it again this season.

- Depending how Martial/Rashford/Greenwood get on, we might need to get another forward in. We need Martial and Rashford to hit 20+ goals in all comps each.

A lot of work to be done.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I expect that the priority next summer will be the sale and replacement of Pogba. Between the no doubt protracted negotiations for his sale and getting rinsed for a replacement there won't be much bandwidth left for anything else

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
We need additions in the midfield and a right winger. If there is money left and a suitable player is there, then a left back. Possibly even a CB if we can get the deadwood out on permanent transfers.

Additions
- Maddison for the attacking/creator role in the midfield. 75£ mil.
- Ibrahim Sangare as first choice destroyer ahead of McTominay. 30£ mil.
- Sancho 130£ mil.

From the academy: Williams, Laird, Levitt, Mejbri

Out
- Matic free.
- Darmian free.
- Young free.
- Bailly 15£ mil.
- Rojo 5£ mil.
- Smalling 20£ mil.
- Fred 20£ mil.

Net spent: 175£ mil.

Squad

Forwards: Rashford - Martial - Sancho (Greenwood, James, Chong)

Midfield: Pogba - Maddison - Sangare (Pereira, Gomes, Mata, McTominay, Garner, Mejbri, Levitt)

Defence: Shaw - Maguire - Lindelöf - Wan-Bissaka (Williams, Tuanzebe, Jones, Dalot, Laird)

Not going to happen but a muppet can dream, right?

Von Mistelroum

If we're looking to be a top 2-3 team then we need :

2 x Midfielders
1 x Right Winger
1x Striker
1x backup left back
1 x GK if DDG leaves

And that's assuming that Martial or Rashford improve enough to be our first choice LW and/or back up striker. If we have any aspirations of winning the league then we need these to all be top quality and probably need a couple of good squad players too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What DON'T we need is a better question.

And aside from about 5 positions there's not much here!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I expect that the priority next summer will be the sale and replacement of Pogba. Between the no doubt protracted negotiations for his sale and getting rinsed for a replacement there won't be much bandwidth left for anything else
Euro 2020 as well, just to delay the time available.

Pogba out for 100m. Someone worse in for about 80m.
And a couple of "Promising" young'uns.

shabz

We need to replace players we've sold/let go with some actual players. No use in getting rid of players when we havent got replacements. Bizarre choices by the board for me. Solskjaer is doing what any club legend would do and is answering the call to help the team. He didn't seek this position out, it was the board who chose him. We need a better board, we need a better manager/coach and we need better players.

The solution is there for everyone to see, but no one wants to admit it for what ever reasons they may have.

lurkingfan

I think we missed a trick by ignoring Llorente, a plan b today might have worked with all the crosses flying around the box.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Roboc7

We need a DOF and more competence off the pitch and a better manager. In terms of squad we will need a keeper to replace DDG. Shaw and Lindelof ideally would’ve upgraded, Pogba must be off in summer so that’s 3 midfielders required. Still don’t have a RW and also probably a striker.

That’s years to address even if you want to and have a plan in place, don’t think either apply to this club.

riis

Supports
Liverpool
My assessment from an outside point of view:

Players I think are definitely staying and definitely playing regularly for you next season:
Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay, Martial, Rashford.

Players who might leave but will definitely play regularly if they stay:
De Gea, Pogba

These will need replacements if allowed to leave.

Players I think are staying but might only be squad players:
Lindelof, Fred, Lingard, James.

Players I think are staying but will definitely only be squad players:
Dalot, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Greenwood.

Players who might leave but would probably be squad players if they stay:
Grant, Henderson, Romero, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Young, Matic, Mata, A.Pereira, Sanchez.

Players who will likely leave and would definitely only be backups if they stay:
J.Pereira, Rojo, Darmian.

Youth players just about on the fringes of the first team:
Garner, Gomes, Chong.

(Out of contract players: De Gea, Grant, Bailly, Young, Darmian, Fosu-Mensah. Also Matic but has +1 year option)

----------------------------------------------------

Firstly, De Gea and/or Pogba will need quality replacements if they leave;

I don't think Ole & co will choose to rely on Romero or Henderson for the #1 GK spot if De Gea leaves, more likely one of them will leave (sold or loaned) and the other will stay to be #2 behind a new GK. Try for Oblak or Szczesny if attainable, otherwise someone like Strakosha or Onana. PL experience option - Schmeichel jr. I think that's the minimum level you would want to go after with the intention of challenging for top trophies in the next 2-3 years.

If Pogba leaves you need someone who can play a box-to-box role at a high level, someone who can contribute in all aspects of the game in the middle of the pitch and also create and score goals. If it was possible to lure Eriksen I think he'd be to optimal choice, if not ask RM about Isco. Otherwise I think Bruno Fernandes (linked with you this summer) or Donny van de Beek would also be great.

Secondly, fill out the weakest links in your strongest XI (excluding potential De Gea/Pogba replacements) ;

From my point of view those would be one forward (mainly right sided), one midfielder (holding mid), a left-back and a centre-back, and I would prioritize them in that order.

For the right sided forward role I think Sancho or Ziyech would be great options, with the latter being my favourite (more versatile, more attainable and more affordable). Other options could be Neres and possibly Felipe Anderson for someone with PL experience.

For the holding mid role I'd probably go for Ndidi. He's quite good, got PL experience, and he's so young he still have lots of room for improvement and could end up staying for many years. Other options if attainable could be Weigl or Thomas Partey. A riskier option could be Sander Berge from Genk who I think is a big talent, although he hasn't got big league experience.

At left-back you could go for a cheap-ish young talent as backup/rotation for Shaw or a starter depending on where money is prioritized. If you go for a starter I'm not sure there's a whole lot of options on the younger side. There's Alex Telles and Tagliafico who both turn 27 this winter and there's Chilwell. If you wanna go for a younger talent type player I'd have a look at Vinagre at Wolves or Jamal Lewis at Norwich.

At centre-back I think you probably need to offload a couple of players before signing any new ones unless it's a cheaper option (young talent or experienced out-of-contract player). I think Bailly's contract is up next summer(?) and you need to get rid of at least one out of Rojo/Smalling/Jones as well, preferably two, before spending more money on a new CB. There are some top class older CBs with contracts running out next summer; both Vertonghen and Alderweireld at Tottenham, and Thiago Silva and Chiellini. The latter two will both be close to 36 years of age though, and haven't played in a league with the intensity and pace of the PL. Huge money signings at CB like Koulibaly or Skriniar I don't think will happen with all the money you've spent on CBs the last three years (Bailly/Lindelof/Maguire + new big contracts for Rojo/Smalling/Jones). If he's affordable I would try and get Nathan Ake. Otherwise I'd go for someone like Ruben Dias or Mario Hermoso.

-----------------------------------------------

Assuming you get De Gea to sign a contract extension and convince Pogba to stay I think something like this could make for a good (and achievable) summer;

In: Alderweireld, Chilwell, Ndidi, Ziyech. (+new contract for Fosu-Mensah and possibly Grant)

Out: J.Pereira, Romero, Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Young, Darmian, Matic, Sanchez.

New team: ............................................. | Rotation/backups

------------------- De Gea ---------------------- | Henderson, Grant
- AWB - Alderweireld - Maguire - Chilwell - | Lindelof, Jones, Shaw, Dalot, Fosu-Mensah
-------------------- Ndidi ----------------------- | (McT), Garner
--------- McTominay ---- Pogba ---------------- | Fred, A.Pereira, Mata, Gomes
------ Ziyech --- Rashford --- Martial --------- | James, Lingard, Mata, Greenwood, Chong

I think with that squad you'd be only one more summer window (and possibly necessarily one better head coach) away from challenging for trophies.

predator

Youth NITK
Simply put, we do not have a proper striker. According to manutd.com our forwards are Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Chong. Not a single one of them is a natural centre forward. Why are so many overlooking this simple fact? What really puzzles me is that our manager himself was a centre forward yet he insists he is happy with the wingers / youngsters we have in 'attack'.

As far as I'm concerned we actually haven't been too bad in defense or midfield so far this season. We also haven't been bad in attack because technically we dont have an attack. For example yesterday when Southampton went down to 10 men, we were all over them. We had so much possession and opportunities to deliver the ball into the box and to be fair we did, Young, AWB got plenty of balls in as did Pogba but who on earth were they aiming for? I remember alot of crosses from the right hand side being overhit and landing at James feet, THEN he would also cross it back into the box only to see it cleared away by a southampton defender. I feel like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis saying this but what happened to us having an aerial threat in the box? Who in our attack is going to outjump or out muscle a centre back that is instructed to keep the ball away from his box?

If Zlatan or Mandzukic were playing for us today then we win the game.

PS - I'd make a thread but surely this has been highlighted.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Simply put, we do not have a proper striker. According to manutd.com our forwards are Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Chong. Not a single one of them is a natural centre forward. Why are so many overlooking this simple fact? What really puzzles me is that our manager himself was a centre forward yet he insists he is happy with the wingers / youngsters we have in 'attack'.

As far as I'm concerned we actually haven't been too bad in defense or midfield so far this season. We also haven't been bad in attack because technically we dont have an attack. For example yesterday when Southampton went down to 10 men, we were all over them. We had so much possession and opportunities to deliver the ball into the box and to be fair we did, Young, AWB got plenty of balls in as did Pogba but who on earth were they aiming for? I remember alot of crosses from the right hand side being overhit and landing at James feet, THEN he would also cross it back into the box only to see it cleared away by a southampton defender. I feel like Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis saying this but what happened to us having an aerial threat in the box? Who in our attack is going to outjump or out muscle a centre back that is instructed to keep the ball away from his box?

If Zlatan or Mandzukic were playing for us today then we win the game.

PS - I'd make a thread but surely this has been highlighted.
Our midfield has been non existent in large periods of the game in 3 out of 4...

Josh 76

Lindeloff
Shaw
Mctomminy
Rashford
Martial
James

This should be our bench. The problem is these are in our first 11. That's why it will take years to get back to the top. No quick fix.

If we're looking to be a top 2-3 team then we need :

2 x Midfielders ??
1 x Right Winger - Sancho is obviously our main target
1x Striker - ??
1x backup left back - Digne
1 x GK if DDG leaves ??

And that's assuming that Martial or Rashford improve enough to be our first choice LW and/or back up striker. If we have any aspirations of winning the league then we need these to all be top quality and probably need a couple of good squad players too.
I agree, who should we sign for these positions?

In Rainbows

It's the same as it's been since last season

RW
DM - Also helps run the show, but is more of an aid to the back line. Compromise being a destroyer.
CM - can run the show with their passing, and is the side's best passing option to retain possession

3 very important areas that drags the rest of the team down massively. Those CMs can help us against the opposition press, which helps us dominate possession. They also help advance the play to put our more creative players in more dangerous positions to do their thing. The RW provides creative help, and can bring more balance to the side so that they don't overload the LW or zero in on Pogba.

Crashoutcassius

We have a whole in midfield and RW and need to upgrade 10 and 9 if we are honest. I think ever if you add a sancho and a maddison we will create more but if we want to be sure we put them away there needs to be a reliable 9, what lukaku was supposed to be. very hard to find.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
at the least three midfielders and a recognised goalscorer (I'm also sure we will need a keeper because DDG looks to have given up)

Roboc7

Too much it’s actually really important we buy in January because otherwise I’ll be too much to do next summer and there simply isn’t the competence or willingness to get the deals done.

We already need a lot of players and Pogba and DDG are gone next summer which adds even more work.

slir32

We need two midfielders to partner Pogba, a right wing, a quality LB who will rotate with Shaw like Chilwell and a striker if Martial and Rashford cant nail that spot. That is assuming Pogba and DDG don't leave if they do we need to bring in another two players.

Macedonian Red

Amf - Van De beek
Cmf - Arthur
Dmf - Neves/Rice/Ndidi
Rw - Sancho
Lb - Chilwel
Cb - Umtiti
Cf - Werner

Ddg/Romero
Bisaka/Dalot Maguire/Tuanzebe Umtiti/Lindelof Chilwel/Shaw

Neves/McTominay Arthur/Fred
Van de beek/Lingard

Sancho/Greenwood Martial/Werner Rashford/James

Out: Pogba, Mata, Pereira, Matic, Young, Rojo, Bailly

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The DM position is the one that needs to be amongst the priorities next season IMO. And one of the players that looks very interesting for the role is the young Benfica talent Florentino Luis who only recently turned 20. I first mentioned him on here around 7-8 months ago and he has come on leaps and bounds since.

What makes this player particularly interesting is that not only is he a very good distributor from a deeper role, he's also very quick off the ground, physically strong for his age and a good tackler. He actually ticks more boxes as a DM/#6 than say a Tonali in comparison IMO. He also has the all round ability to satisfy fans who prefer the ball playing #6 as opposed to the fans who prefer the dynamic destroyer all rolled into one player, which makes Florentino Luis a extremely interesting prospect.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares this season, because the potential looks huge at this stage. To have such composure, ability to break lines and also have the added ability to tackle like AWB is quite rare to see in such a young player playing a deeper midfield role. I'd like to see us in the mix for his signature if and when he moves from Benfica. Looks a special talent.

JohnnyLaw

The DM position is the one that needs to be amongst the priorities next season IMO. And one of the players that looks very interesting for the role is the young Benfica talent Florentino Luis who only recently turned 20. I first mentioned him on here around 7-8 months ago and he has come on leaps and bounds since.

What makes this player particularly interesting is that not only is he a very good distributor from a deeper role, he's also very quick off the ground, physically strong for his age and a good tackler. He actually ticks more boxes as a DM/#6 than say a Tonali in comparison IMO. He also has the all round ability to satisfy fans who prefer the ball playing #6 as opposed to the fans who prefer the dynamic destroyer all rolled into one player, which makes Florentino Luis a extremely interesting prospect.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares this season, because the potential looks huge at this stage. To have such composure, ability to break lines and also have the added ability to tackle like AWB is quite rare to see in such a young player playing a deeper midfield role. I'd like to see us in the mix for his signature if and when he moves from Benfica. Looks a special talent.

I’d love a DM, I think that could really lift our central midfield and be an instant game changer for us. It would lift the games of Pogba but perhaps even more so Mctominay. In the last two games when we’ve been up against it and Scott’s been asked to be more attacking, he’s won us one penalty and almost immediately after Matic came on last time out he got Danso sent off after a good run.

Hughes35

Trying to be quite realistic but also optimistic I think we could see something like this:

January - Eriksen (Or James Maddison), Zlatan (Loan)
Next summer - Sancho? (Purely because that's what everybody else says, no idea if any genuine links), Longstaff and a new Striker such as Dybala again or somebody that has a good season this year.

Bestietom

We need 2 Midfielders = DM and a box to box midfielder. ( 3 if Pogba and Matic goes next summer)
A LB ( cover for Shaw)
a RW ( goalscoring winger)
A prolific CF

That's 5/6 players over the next couple of windows. YES, we should start recruiting in JANUARY.

JoaquinJoaquin

Trying to be quite realistic but also optimistic I think we could see something like this:

January - Eriksen (Or James Maddison), Zlatan (Loan)
Next summer - Sancho? (Purely because that's what everybody else says, no idea if any genuine links), Longstaff and a new Striker such as Dybala again or somebody that has a good season this year.
Sancho isn't going to want to come here. It's a pipe dream.

RedNed77

Longstaff, Madison & Sancho. Our British buys this summer have been some of our best transfers in recent memory, lets have some more.

NJM78

Longstaff, Madison & Sancho. Our British buys this summer have been some of our best transfers in recent memory, lets have some more.
Longstaff, no thanks. Madison is good but Leicester would want more than Maguire and Sancho I'd bet my left nut will have no interest in joining us if and when he has other options.