What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

SungSam7

Maddison is also not my favourit Player for the OM position. But I think he is the most realistic one. And I read an articel, about Dybala, that he doesnt want move to United. Therefore I think he is no option.

About the amount of players. I think at the moment we need at least two more midfielders and one or two more attackers for a balanced squad. Therefore we need players.

And I think we have a bad mood in the team. This is why the players didnt perform at there peak. From the distance it look like, that players like Pogba, DeGea, Rashford, Martial,.. are responsible for that.

To make the turnaround in such a Situation you have to make a big change. Reminds me a little bit of HSV in germany.
I understand that unfortunately Dybala didn't want to sign and no one could blame him, I was just giving the alternative route example, why pay over the odds for an English player when a better alternative could cost the same if not less outside of the country.

I see what you're trying to say and I'd be leaning more to your view of a massive clean out but I don't think someone like OLE could do it. He may buy the right players but as we have seen so far, he doesn't seem to have shown any blue print on how he wants his players to play like. I feel hes hiding behind his injured players.

For what you want to do, we need a manager who will be willing to implement a project and has shown a trademark style for a while now, let him solely pick the players he wants and get rid of the ones he doesn't want and just be patient. Problem is, we are being patient with a guy whose only success outside of Norway was the purple patch shown after Mourinhos sacking and nothing else

MrSingh2002

CF (squad player to compete)
CAM (starter)
CDM (squad player to compete)
LB (starter)

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire LB
Pogba McTominay
James CAM Rashford
Martial

Romero
Dalot Lindelof Rojo Shaw
CDM Fred
Greenwood Lingard Gomes
CF

4 signings away from having a good starting 11 and a competitive squad.

Fosu-Mens

CF (squad player to compete)
CAM (starter)
CDM (squad player to compete)
LB (starter)

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire LB
Pogba McTominay
James CAM Rashford
Martial

Romero
Dalot Lindelof Rojo Shaw
CDM Fred
Greenwood Lingard Gomes
CF

4 signings away from having a good starting 11 and a competitive squad.
McTominay, James and Rashford? Competitive?

Sorry, but James and Rashford are struggling in most areas of the game unless on the counter, in 1v1 or given space to utilize their pace. McTominay is limited and a zero-sum player. Having two defenders that can handle the ball while having a rightback and keeper that cannot... Pogba does not have a playstyle suited to be one of two central defenders. Either play him with two others or as a CAM.
Only way that team is going to be competitive is if you park the bus and counter, an approach useful against superior teams but not as productive when weaker teams do the same against you.

I agree that Maguire and Tuanzebe could create a functioning partnership.

Jibbs

As has been discussed countless times, we need at least 6 to 7 players to get back to competing ways in 20/21. I'd say we need 7 players.

ST
RW
3 Midfielders
LB
CB

It will depend if Ole remains as manager or some new manager comes, who do we sign. But this is the minimum we need and transfers should be spot on to get us back competing.

Jericholyte2

Speaking about this on the Roy Keane joins Sky thread where he mentions getting Kane.

He hit the nail of the head! It wouldn’t be easy for many reasons (our own board for one) but if Spurs keep going as they do I’d go in the summer and throw a cheque at Levy £150/200/250m whatever was needed and challenge Levy to turn it down.

Add two midfielders such as Ruiz and Zakaria and we’d have a balanced, solid team.

CR1

This is my list of transfer targets:

PLAYERS IN
- Håland
- Pukki or Wilson
- Werner or Sancho
- Maddison or Fernandes
- McGinn
- DLP/CDM
- Alderweireld

PLAYERS OUT (not right now, but longer term)
- Matic
- Young
- Rojo
- Bailly or Jones
- Pogba (only because he himself wants to leave)

Maybe Martial as well, depends on this season. He's a very talented player but the jury is still out on whether he is the right player for us in terms of his ability to be a first-choice title-challenging forward. Ideally I would like to keep him and he kicks on. Then on the other hand, if we sign Håland, Pukki or Wilson plus Werner or Sancho competition for places might become too high. Perhaps Greenwood will go out on loan though? Gomes maybe as well, Chong definitely. At least one of Garner and Levitt too. Williams I was thinking could maybe be the back-up LB.

I'd also say Lingard hasn't been good enough over the last year or so. But if Pogba leaves and Gomes goes out on loan while we only bring in one 10 (Maddison or Fernandes) then I think there may still be a place for him in the squad, especially since I think he could be a back-up option as a false 9 as well. I think Mata should be ahead of him in the pecking order though. Let's see if Pereira can kick on as well, he played really well yesterday against Liverpool.

Regarding Werner, I think he could be an excellent signing for us. Reminds me a bit of Rooney in terms of his playing style. Very hard-working etc. Can play anywhere across the front line, including RF/RW. I'm not even sure I'd prefer Sancho to him, despite Sancho probably being the players fans want us to sign the most.

Regarding Rojo, just want to say I always rated him but after that tackle against Willian last season I've pretty much wanted him sold.

Regarding the DLP/CDM. Still undecided on who that should be. I rate Garner and Levitt as prospects, so maybe we should get a stop-gap in there. A player who is both a DLP (passer) and CDM (screener/intercepter/tackler) in one would be ideal.

Roboc7

We need 3 new midfielders, a RW and a striker.
I agree, that will take us three summer windows though and that’s assuming we don’t just ignore the RW position which seems to be the tradition.

King Andow

Not much, just a DoF (Luis Campos/Rangnick), Manager (Marco Rose/Nagelsmann), 7/8 signings and some sells/release.
January: Florian Grillitsch (CDM), Bruno Guimarães/Exequiel Palacios (CM), Dani Olmo (CAM), Håland (CF)
Summer: LB (Tagliafico/Digne), LCB, CM (Witsel/van de Beek/Fabian Ruiz), RW (Sancho)

Out: Young, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Matic, Fred, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, someone at the fitness and medical coaching, Solskjaer.

And more chances to Williams, Garner, Gomes and Greenwood to see what they can do or loan them.

Last edited:

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
We're 13th, possibly 14th by the end of the day. We've been on the downslide for over six years. That's about a third of a career, and players will looking be looking at the likes of De Gea and worrying that their careers may be as professionally unfulfilling as his. Why would players like Sancho or Van de Beek want to sign for us when we can't get our act together and offer anything other than mercenary wages?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Seems to have ruled himself out of a January move away from Ajax, but how is Donny van de Beek doing this season?

I've not seen that much of him, but noticed he's scored a few goals this week.

He looks like the kind of AM that would fit well in Ole's system - good eye for a pass and goal but is also quite physical, aggressive.

Is a key player in a formidable Champions League side, and is younger and better than Pereira, Lingard and Mata.

Although, am I right in thinking he's a tad slower than Pereira/Lingard?

I know Ole seems to have his heart set on Maddison for that position, but he would cost a fortune.

billybee99

The same as always. We need a RW, a #10 and a central midfielder. Maybe a CB depending on how you feel about Lindelof and Tuanzebe.

RedDevilRoshi

Pogba will be away to PSG/Real Madrid which will free up some extra funds.

Defensive midfielder, box 2 box midfielder, creative attacking number 10, right winger & striker.

croadyman

Can't see Utd getting two Leicester players in next two windows,so if you had a choice between Ndidi & Eriksen or Maddison & Can which would you take?

bucky

Hope we take a chance on a few players in January. Most likely we aren't going to get our primary targets anyway, so adding depth and promising players is what I'm hoping for. Alkmaar have a few players, I would want us to take a chance on; Koopmeiners, Boadu, Stengs and possibly Wijndal. Matheus Henrique should be doable in January as well.

reddevilchennai

Poch - Absolute need of the hour

Winter window:
In:
Haaland - Looks talented. 60m.

Summer 2020:
In:
Sancho - Project him that team his going to be build around him. Relationship between him and Borussia are not that good now. We can get him for cheap.100m.
Maddison - For right price in summer, Leicester will sell. 75m.
Partey - Release clause of 50m.
Out:
Matic - 15m
Jones & Rojo together -20m
Sanchez- 15m
Smalling - 20m
Periera - 10m
Young - Free

DDG
AWB Maguire Tuanzabe Shaw
Partey Pogba
Maddison
Sancho Martial Rashford/James

Subs: Romero, Greenwood, McT, Lindelof, Bailly, Garner, Fred

Buy - 285m
Sell - 70m
Net spend across two windows - 205m

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
at least three midfielders, two forwards and an overhaul of the management/coaching. so not too much then...

Hawks2008

> New manager and coaching staff
> Left back
> Centre back
> 2 Midfielders, 3 if Pogba leaves
> Right winger
> Striker
> Experienced DoF

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A midfielder to replace Pereira and any fecker that will get in the box, it's becoming a joke.

spiriticon

Every year we seem to need 4 defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 strikers and a new manager no matter what.

What a mess.

Actually we should try something different this summer and hire proven, world class coaches instead of McKenna and Carrick who, as talented as they are, can't possibly be experienced enough to coach any side with ambitions to win major trophies.

EireRed_GS

Degea
AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - LB?
Scott/CM - CM
AMF
RW - ST -
James/Martial

Need to invest in the highlighted areas

DF - Shaw's days are numbered at utd, Williams good potential, but shouldnt be starting all the time
MF - Fred, Perieria, matic not good enough. Pogba will be gone so no point counting him. Mctomintay only one decent worth keeping
AMF - mata's best days are well gone. Lingard is useless. neither can impact a game
FW - Rashford is proving to be Nani v2. Martial is one lazy fecker. neither gonna be prolific. would like greenwood to get a chance but wont.

DarkRed

I remember a game in the European super cup between Real and Atlético Madrid, the game was more or less equal till the minute Casimiro was substituted, suddenly the best defenders in the world looked incapable to stop anyone... after that game I really understood the real value of a good Defensive Midfielder, we currently don't have anyone to play that position.
What we need is new midfielders, we need two defensive mids, one box to box and one attacking to start looking like a normal team.

RedDevilRoshi

> Left back
> Centre back
> Right winger
> Striker
> Experienced DoF
This but unfortunately it’s never gonna happen under the Glazers/Woodward stewardship.

Sea-Cow

> Left back
> Centre back
> Right winger
> Striker
> Experienced DoF
Yep.

And the "new manager and coaching staff" has to be the priority right now. We could spend hundreds of millions of pounds on the shiny new sensations and address all of the areas of need in the squad perfectly, and it won't matter in the slightest if we persist with the current manager / coaching set-up.

Why? Because City (and Chelsea and possibly one or two others) can also spend hundreds of millions of pounds to address their weaknesses. And then when we meet, with two sides assembled at astronomical expense, they will have the better manager and they will have the advantage.

We can't spend our way out of this hole, unless the aim is to simply challenge for the top 4.

If, instead, the ultimate aim is to challenge for fecking trophies, then we need to hire the best manager available. Once we have that done, then we go out and spend astronomically.

But all of this matters not because I have zero faith in the people in charge to identify the best manager available. So, lets let Ole spend whatever he wants and sit back in awe as we rise to 6th!

Macedonian Red

A whole midfield. Matic is leaving, Pereira, Lingard and Mata should leave too.
Left back.
Central back.
Offensive right back.
Right winger.
Central Forward.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Minimum we need a new DM this Janaury. That's the bare, bare minimum.

We can probably then scrape our way to the Summer when we can bring in a new starting LB, striker, midfielder and obviously right winger. But I say right winger every year for the past 8 years.

Red_toad

We need a top class director of football and whom ever he wants as his manager. All seems pointless drifting from manager to manager, all with different philosophies and buying players to suit their 2 season stint at the club.
Club has tried sacking managers and buying star players and we're sat mid-table, so some fans are expecting things to change by carrying on as per the last several seasons.

Tel074

McTominay, James and Rashford? Competitive?

Sorry, but James and Rashford are struggling in most areas of the game unless on the counter, in 1v1 or given space to utilize their pace. McTominay is limited and a zero-sum player. Having two defenders that can handle the ball while having a rightback and keeper that cannot... Pogba does not have a playstyle suited to be one of two central defenders. Either play him with two others or as a CAM.
Only way that team is going to be competitive is if you park the bus and counter, an approach useful against superior teams but not as productive when weaker teams do the same against you.

I agree that Maguire and Tuanzebe could create a functioning partnership.
Rashford is struggling? Hahaha Jesus wept ! He is a striker who is scoring almost every game atm . Seriously the Cafe makes me laugh sometimes .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poch - Absolute need of the hour

Winter window:
In:
Haaland - Looks talented. 60m.

Summer 2020:
In:
Sancho - Project him that team his going to be build around him. Relationship between him and Borussia are not that good now. We can get him for cheap.100m.
Maddison - For right price in summer, Leicester will sell. 75m.
Partey - Release clause of 50m.
Out:
Matic - 15m
Jones & Rojo together -20m
Sanchez- 15m
Smalling - 20m
Periera - 10m
Young - Free

DDG
AWB Maguire Tuanzabe Shaw
Partey Pogba
Maddison
Sancho Martial Rashford/James

Subs: Romero, Greenwood, McT, Lindelof, Bailly, Garner, Fred

Buy - 285m
Sell - 70m
Net spend across two windows - 205m
You say buy Haaland but then haven’t factored him in anywhere

sherrinford

Rashford is struggling? Hahaha Jesus wept ! He is a striker who is scoring almost every game atm . Seriously the Cafe makes me laugh sometimes .
Do you actually watch the games? He scored against Villa (well, sort of) - do you think he played well?

theklr

Do you actually watch the games? He scored against Villa (well, sort of) - do you think he played well?
He can play like shit as long as he scores each and every game more or less. Without him we would be in relegation zone.

Møllemanden

It's hard not to like Rashford. He is definitely a man utd player. However... If you look at the #1 strikers for the winning PL teams all the way back to 92, it's clear to me that he is nowhere near prolific enough. He has 7 in 14 games so far and that is pretty good for a winger. But he should never be our main man.

DarkRed

How can a forward play well with this midfield? maybe Messi can, but that about it, The passes that were flying vs Villa...