What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Tel074

Do you actually watch the games? He scored against Villa (well, sort of) - do you think he played well?
He is a striker his job is to score goals and he is doing that . Some of the clowns on here are never happy . It used to be he doesn't score goals he's shite now it's he doesn't do enough . Honestly what do you people want

Fosu-Mens

Rashford is struggling? Hahaha Jesus wept ! He is a striker who is scoring almost every game atm . Seriously the Cafe makes me laugh sometimes .
There are more elements of football than scoring goals. And I don't think his play during the last 1,5 months since I posted that has been impressive outside his goalscoring.
And he is still not really performing against a balanced defence... Like you are seemingly struggling to understand football beside the score after 90.

Tel074

There are more elements of football than scoring goals. And I don't think his play during the last 1,5 months since I posted that has been impressive outside his goalscoring.
And he is still not really performing against a balanced defence... Like you are seemingly struggling to understand football beside the score after 90.

Haha I understand pretty well that a strikers job is to score goals and the kid also has alot more to his game . Also the score after 90 is everything so that point is as ridiculous as your opinion on Rashford.. It's just as well your opinion means absolutely nothing away from here because without Rashford we would be a whole lot worse off .

James Ward

Haha I understand pretty well that a strikers job is to score goals and the kid also has alot more to his game . Also the score after 90 is everything so that point is as ridiculous as your opinion on Rashford.. It's just as well your opinion means absolutely nothing away from here because without Rashford we would be a whole lot worse off .
Hes decent but greedy and his decision making can be pretty awful and gets lost in games.

Hes young though and with a better midfield around him he will be more prolific.

He needs to try for the full 90 minutes as well, not just when we go one nil down.

He needs to work harder as has all the talent in the world, not half as lazy as Martial though.

What we need to sign is 2 world class centre midfielders and a striker. Can reevaluate things then on what else needs improving

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He can play like shit as long as he scores each and every game more or less. Without him we would be in relegation zone.
Tbf, without him we'd have someone else starting, probably someone not at the club. So without him, we wouldn't be in the relegation.

Fosu-Mens

Rashford being dependent on space and struggling against a balanced defence is not a ridiculous statement... If he was replaced by Lingard, Mata or someone other less capable in our squad we would have been worse off, but that's beside the point. You are generalizing my point that he is struggling in certain situations as to mean he is a shit player...

It is almost as if you are offended by anyone trying to be objective in their criticism against Rashford. Taking into consideration that you argue like a selfentitled little spoiled fifakid with a simplistic view of things, and a sensationalistic way of arguing that could make even Iniesta angry... Are you actually Lingard???

Tel074

Hes decent but greedy and his decision making can be pretty awful and gets lost in games.

Hes young though and with a better midfield around him he will be more prolific.

He needs to try for the full 90 minutes as well, not just when we go one nil down.

He needs to work harder as has all the talent in the world, not half as lazy as Martial though.

What we need to sign is 2 world class centre midfielders and a striker. Can reevaluate things then on what else needs improving

Yeah I agree with this . People love slagging our forwards but with a midfield as bad as ours it's tough for them as they become isolated at times .

Tel074

Rashford being dependent on space and struggling against a balanced defence is not a ridiculous statement... If he was replaced by Lingard, Mata or someone other less capable in our squad we would have been worse off, but that's beside the point. You are generalizing my point that he is struggling in certain situations as to mean he is a shit player...

It is almost as if you are offended by anyone trying to be objective in their criticism against Rashford. Taking into consideration that you argue like a selfentitled little spoiled fifakid with a simplistic view of things, and a sensationalistic way of arguing that could make even Iniesta angry... Are you actually Lingard???

No I'm a United season ticket holder not some keyboard warrior who comes on here high and mighty slagging kids who are massively talented. A strikers job is to score goals and his goal scoring this season is fantastic. He has scored more goals at this age than Shearer had at the same age .. He is a kid who's being over used because our squad is so shit and yes I am sick of reading " experts " like yourself who's never probably been to a game. Go watch a match live and you will see his work off the ball and the energy he brings to the whole stadium when he gets on the ball . He is a huge talent and will only get better and will get better when we have a proper midfield

Fosu-Mens

No I'm a United season ticket holder not some keyboard warrior who comes on here high and mighty slagging kids who are massively talented. A strikers job is to score goals and his goal scoring this season is fantastic. He has scored more goals at this age than Shearer had at the same age .. He is a kid who's being over used because our squad is so shit and yes I am sick of reading " experts " like yourself who's never probably been to a game. Go watch a match live and you will see his work off the ball and the energy he brings to the whole stadium when he gets on the ball . He is a huge talent and will only get better and will get better when we have a proper midfield
So my point about him struggling in non-counterattacking situations (same as the rest of the team) is not valid? I'm not complaining about his goalscoring, nor his work ethic on the pitch, so don't bring that into the discussion when I have not complained about those elements in his game in the post you originally responded to.
He is being overused and plays in a less than impressive team in an even less impressive attacking system. It is logical that the rest of the team will benefit from playing with a better set of midfielders.

Definition of Keyboard Warrior: a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the Internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.

This is what you have written in this thread:
so that point is as ridiculous as your opinion on Rashford
It's just as well your opinion means absolutely nothing
Some of the clowns on here
some keyboard warrior
" experts " like yourself who's never probably been to a game.
Aggressive? Yes
Abusive? Well, not the most comfortable discussion I have had on here for sure.
We are all anonymous on here so...

Seems to me that if the definition used on keyboard warrior is a better description of you than me (even though I called you Lingard, which was over the line).

Given the financial cost, it would not be sustainable for my personal economy to watch each game live. Nor would I like to move to Manchester or England for that matter. I have been to a number of matches.

Tel074

So my point about him struggling in non-counterattacking situations (same as the rest of the team) is not valid? I'm not complaining about his goalscoring, nor his work ethic on the pitch, so don't bring that into the discussion when I have not complained about those elements in his game in the post you originally responded to.
He is being overused and plays in a less than impressive team in an even less impressive attacking system. It is logical that the rest of the team will benefit from playing with a better set of midfielders.

Definition of Keyboard Warrior: a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the Internet, typically one who conceals their true identity.

This is what you have written in this thread:

Aggressive? Yes
Abusive? Well, not the most comfortable discussion I have had on here for sure.
We are all anonymous on here so...

Seems to me that if the definition used on keyboard warrior is a better description of you than me (even though I called you Lingard, which was over the line).

Given the financial cost, it would not be sustainable for my personal economy to watch each game live. Nor would I like to move to Manchester or England for that matter. I have been to a number of matches.

You said Rashford is struggling which is hilarious you said there's more to football than the result after 90 mins which is ridiculous .. I'm sorry for upsetting you by pointing out this . You can have the last word as I'm sure you will have to . I'd rather debate with posters with a little bit of sense and football knowledge. Enjoy your evening

laughtersassassin

If we lose or draw tonight hopefully he is gone bedore the city game. No point dragging this out.

If he survives the next two he will be here for a while given our easy run is coming up.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Major needs over the next 2 windows:

2 CMs:
1) Saul
2) Odegaard or
any of Fernandes / Ruiz / Alberto / Maddison

1 RW:
1) Sancho / Ziyech

1 CF:
1) Haaland / Milik

1 LB:
1) Telles

Additional wants if we get Saudi money:

1 RB:
1) Atal

1 CB:
1) Elvedi / Alvarez / Upamecano

Last edited:

Wishe

If we could get Haaland and Eriksen in January that would be ideal. Although i certainly have some doubts as to whether it will be possible to get either. But it would let us replace Lingard/Pereira with a world class number 10 and we would get a striker that is ruthless in front of goal to get on the end of all of our crosses and cut backs in the box.

We should then look at getting a RW and CM in the summer, maybe also another CB. If Pogba goes we would need to get additional reinforcements in midfield and we would have alot of money to spend.

Our team in the spring would then look like this

De Gea​
Bissaka Lindelof Maquire Shaw​
McTominay Pogba​
Eriksen​
James Haaland Rashford​

Martial and Greenwood to rotate with any of the front 3. And we would have Fred covering in midfield, Williams to cover at left back and Tuanzebe covering for our CB's.

This should realistically be good enough for CL qualification.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A midfielder or two - not really sure who, maybe Ndidi and Camavinga
A striker - like the idea of Haaland though not seen him much
A winger - like the idea of Sancho or Ziyech

I am not sure about our full backs but we have I think very promising youngsters in Laird, Williams, Dalot and Devine.

I am not sure about the partner for Maguire but would like to see what Axel could do with a run in the team.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I salivate at the idea of Real Madrid forking up Martin Ødegaard a part of the Pogba deal. It won't happpen, but a man can dream.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
As of today, where I think the team can improve dramatically at both ends of the pitch are with:

A Carrick/Busquets level midfielder in the 6 role.
A fit, motivated and committed Pogba, or just someone with a goal/chance creation threat in the #10 role.

Fred and Mctominay are playing well, but we just lack a real ball retainer/calm head.

Similarly in the #10 role, Lingard is horrible, Mata is never going to be a solution, Pereira is a useful squad player, Gomes isn't ready and Pogba is a permanent question mark.

Arguments for another winger to cover Rashford and James, another striker and a new left back of course...but I think in terms of the actual starting XI, midfield is our weakness, and midfield let's us down most when defending and attacking.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would put in a cheeky bid for Arsenal's Guendouzi.
Love his attitude and aggression on the pitch.

Noc-Z

ffs
I think we need 4 signings to challenge again....

........................SIGNING/Martial...............
James/Rashford.........................SIGNING
...........................SIGNING..........................
..............Fred..................McTominay...........
SIGNING...Maguire...Lindelof...Wan-Bissaka
..............................De Gea.............................

ST - Werner or Haaland?
AM - Maddison?
RW - Sancho?
LB - Chilwell

I can't see us getting all of those signing suggestions, but I would imagine this team mounting title challenges over the next few years... (under OLE because he's going nowhere and nor should he be).

...............................Haaland.......................
Rashford.........................................Sancho
...........................Maddison..........................
Chilwell.....Maguire...Lindelof...Wan-Bissaka

DarkRed

I salivate at the idea of Real Madrid forking up Martin Ødegaard a part of the Pogba deal. It won't happen, but a man can dream.
What would you expect the value of both players might be?
Would you say Ødegaard + Jović = Pogba? or they would need to add more?

Devil may care

I still feel when I look at the squad we'd be better working towards 3-5-2/3-4-3 as when you look at our two expensive summer signings they'd both benefit and we could add some diversity to how we attack while covering the weaknesses without 6 or 7 signings, as in truth if we get 4 over the next 2 windows I'll be happily surprised.

I know some will be yelling about Fred and McTominay but regardless we need to buy 2 CM's as Matic is done, Pereira is crap as a CM and Garner is only ready to be the 5th option, so I put the two in I'd pick but obviously there'd be competition for starting spots. I've left Pogba in the AM role for now until we see what happens, if he goes as expected then there are a few good options out there.

sherrinford

I still feel when I look at the squad we'd be better working towards 3-5-2/3-4-3 as when you look at our two expensive summer signings they'd both benefit and we could add some diversity to how we attack while covering the weaknesses without 6 or 7 signings, as in truth if we get 4 over the next 2 windows I'll be happily surprised.

I know some will be yelling about Fred and McTominay but regardless we need to buy 2 CM's as Matic is done, Pereira is crap as a CM and Garner is only ready to be the 5th option, so I put the two in I'd pick but obviously there'd be competition for starting spots. I've left Pogba in the AM role for now until we see what happens, if he goes as expected then there are a few good options out there.
I don’t think it would particularly help or hinder Maguire, but Wan-Bissaka is not a right centre half and James is not a wing back. Williams is not a better option than Shaw and although I’m sure the more Pogba can be ‘free’ when defending the better but playing so high in possession doesn’t suit him either. I’m not seeing the benefits.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t think it would particularly help or hinder Maguire, but Wan-Bissaka is not a right centre half and James is not a wing back. Williams is not a better option than Shaw and although I’m sure the more Pogba can be ‘free’ when defending the better but playing so high in possession doesn’t suit him either. I’m not seeing the benefits.
Agree. Don't see the need for such a drastic change which would warrant a number of players needing to learn new roles. James is not strong enough physically or defensively to play as a wing back. At least not at this stage in his career. He's an out and out winger. AWB seems better suited to fullback than centre back to me as well. Also we've got a good thing going with Rashford on the left and Martial in the centre. We can add quality to that, but again, to have them both central, again, doesn't make sense to me.

amolbhatia50k

I think we need 4 signings to challenge again....

........................SIGNING/Martial...............
James/Rashford.........................SIGNING
...........................SIGNING..........................
SIGNING...Maguire...Lindelof...Wan-Bissaka

ST - Werner or Haaland?
AM - Maddison?
RW - Sancho?
LB - Chilwell

I can't see us getting all of those signing suggestions, but I would imagine this team mounting title challenges over the next few years... (under OLE because he's going nowhere and nor should he be).

...............................Haaland.......................
Rashford.........................................Sancho
...........................Maddison..........................
Chilwell.....Maguire...Lindelof...Wan-Bissaka
I like the recent peformances of Fred and Mctominay but I think we'll need to upgrade to challenge. Chillwell would be a pointless signing given how expensive he would be and not enough of an upgrade either. Sancho obviously is fantastic.

Ander herrera the warrior

We need Haaland, a deep lying playmaker, and a new left back. If we sell Pogba, then we need a number 10 like James Maddison and we are complete.

bucky

Do you think we still have a chance to sign Fabian Ruiz? I kinda want to believe that, but I am not sure. What do you think of Lindelof? Because I wouldn't mind upgrading on him, but I don't think it should be a priority.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
In order of priority for me now:

AM
CM
ST
LB
RW

With multiple players going free we should be able to manage all with a mixture of long term and short term solutions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I like the recent peformances of Fred and Mctominay but I think we'll need to upgrade to challenge. Chillwell would be a pointless signing given how expensive he would be and not enough of an upgrade either. Sancho obviously is fantastic.
Chilwell would be a major upgrade for me. Shaw is injured too often and offers nothing in attack. Young and Williams aren't good enough.
One of those that we'd potentially only see the benefits of if we upgrade elsewhere too though I think.

amolbhatia50k

Chilwell would be a major upgrade for me. Shaw is injured too often and offers nothing in attack. Young and Williams aren't good enough.
One of those that we'd potentially only see the benefits of if we upgrade elsewhere too though I think.
He's nowhere near absolutely top class though. Miles behind Evra for example. Which is why I'd rather we dont spend an obsene amount of money on yet another defender and instead buy a promising /on the rise LB with more quality on the ball.

amolbhatia50k

In order of priority for me now:

AM
CM
ST
LB
RW

With multiple players going free we should be able to manage all with a mixture of long term and short term solutions.
I think most would roughly agree with those positions. Only question is whether we need a DM or an AM in addition to CM. Would also depend on whether Pogba goes.

Devil may care

It would help Maguire as he lacks agility and pace, being flanked by AWB and Axel would give him protection from both sides and allow him to be the leader centrally. In the system the RCB is often a role played by a fullback as it requires some of a fullback's attributes, mainly the defensive ones, which AWB has in spades while offering next to nothing going forward. As for James as a wingback, I think given how basic he often is the role would play to his strengths, and he has the workrate to develop devensively, plus we have more options than just him that would thrive at RWB while AWB's biggest strengths would excel at RCB, otherwise our flanks are always going to be devoid of attacking support.

Do you think we still have a chance to sign Fabian Ruiz? I kinda want to believe that, but I am not sure. What do you think of Lindelof? Because I wouldn't mind upgrading on him, but I don't think it should be a priority.
I think we have a shot, yes, I've read Barca are interested but Napoli will want big money and Barca are surely at their limit right now. Beyond that if we can finish this season building off the decent performances we've had recently we can become an attractive option again as there are starting spots to be had at the club right now. I think Lindelof is a decent squad player but I'd look towards blooding Axel in as the other main CB in general, I think buying another one in the next couple of windows will be difficult as we need to do other big deals for priority positions and given we paid £80M for Maguire we are going to get fleeced on whoever we go for in the near future, so I feel we'd be best giving Axel a real chance.

Steamboat Willy

I would first off all go for an attacking midtfielder. Eriksen if he could come cheap in januaru. Otherwise Grealish or Maddison depending on the transfer fee for Maddison.

Then a CF. Hopefully Haaland, which would give us depth and strength in attack, with James, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Haaland covering 3 spots.

Finally a Carrick-kind of playmaker. Saul who’s mentioned now as a possible signing could be a great option.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think I've seen enough of most of our youngsters now to be able to gauge how useful they'll be in future seasons, be it as a squad player or something more. In terms of squad make up, I'd look at something like this as the group for the next 2-3 years... most players getting sold obviously need replacing from this list, though some like full back imo we have enough depth if/when Young leaves/retires:

De Gea, Romero, Henderson
Wan Bissaka, Dalot, Laird
Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Smalling, ???
Shaw, Williams
McTominay, ???
???, Fred, Garner
Pogba, Lingard, ???
James, Greenwood
Martial, ???
Rashford, ???

Gomes if he stays can be the other attacking mid. Pogba leaving means we need a new attacking mid. A deep lying midfielder is a must IMO, Fred has impressed lately but we need more and then he can be a useful squad player. Also need a backup defensive midfielder as when McTominay is out, we crumble. Center back we have 3 players who we know will be here, Smalling could stick around or might go to Roma. Either way, I'd say we need 1 more for depth (selling Rojo/bailly/Jones), and then having 1 younger player to develop but be 5th choice. Goalkeeper we're set. Fullback if we want to upgrade, we'll need to sell Shaw IMO. Dont see it happening right away. Anyone not listed should go.

So overall:
  • #8 midfielder (starter)
  • #6 midfielder (depth)
  • #10/Pogba replacement (starter)
  • #9 depth
  • Wing depth
  • Center back (depth + youth potential)
Sell/retire:
  • Grant
  • Young
  • Bailly
  • Rojo
  • Jones
  • Focus Mensah
  • Matic
  • Pereira
  • Mata
  • Sanchez will still need selling

LuckyScout78

I still vote and recommendate those 2, Since last summer transfer window closed. Those 2 are Bruno Fernandes and Jadon Sancho. And im considering and following Federico Chiesa who are not playing regular for a not a really good club Fiorentina.
There are might better options for the same positions like Christian Eriksen. But i prefer to recommendate and go for players who are max and above Harry Maguire age. 1993, 26 years and younger. Not older. Reasons why?If i am United owner i will aim on the downfall of this Liverpool golden generation. I am not sure how long this golden era will last. But if we look at theirs most important and key key players. World class or close on world class and top level. There are 3 players for me are on that level.

Van Dijk = 1991 - 28. Salah = 1992 = 27. And T.Alexander Arnold = 1998 = 21. Salah or Dybala might be the options to replace Messi at Barca. Really good left foot players and wingers. So Salah might and it is a chance that Barca will make a bid the day Messi retire. Messi is now 32 years old. Maybe around 3 years time from now. And if we add 5 years to Van Dijk from now. He will turn 33 about 5 years. Its a big chance he top level will drop, his downfall. And those players are not easy to replace. So like others golden era like Ronaldo with Real Madrid, the class of 92. Every golden era will come to the end. And the smartest is not use a lot of money to try to outbattle them when they are on their peak of their golden era. Aim and build to take over when they are on theirs way down. It mean you have to get the best players out there under 25 years old. That they will be max 30 about 5 years or 28 about 3 years. And at the same time you have to build a squad that are good enough for top 4 every seasons from now on. And win the premier title about 3-5 years. That is why age around Rashford is the best suit. 1997 = 22 years old. And max 25 like Bruno 1994.
So that is about the timing to taking over and the age of the players United shall look at. Because even you spend 400 m £ on the players at the age of 27 or above to compete with Liverpool when their are on theirs peak of theirs golden generation. I am not sure you will in the premier league in the next 3 years. So again. It all about the the timing. Be smart and have both short and longterm goal.
Short goal is = top 4 each season from next season. Long goal = Premier league title.

And now back to the players i recommendate

Bruno Fernandes - 08.09.1994 (25)
Best suit positions: CAM (10), CM, the offensive and creative one (8) or he do suit as a RCM too.

Jadon Sancho - 25.03.2000 (19)
Best suit positions: RW and LW

And if some reasons Sancho will not end up at Old Trafford. Plan be and another winger option is Federico Chiesa

As a deeper, but still creative in central midfield area. Like i said Bruno can play as the creative and offensive one beside McTom (6) in a two players partnership. Then i will recommendate a player that a really good and have a really high level as the nr.8. His name is Kristoffer Olsson playing for Krasnodar. The swedish central midfield player. I will write short details about him here.

Kristoffer Olsson - 30.06.1995 (24). Suit the age of the plan and goal
Best suit positions: CM or RCM

And the biggest reason why i recommendate those 3/4 players. Bruno, Sancho, Olsson and maybe Chiesa. It because of them are good on small areas and good to open up parking bus and tight defenders. Where it has been show that United have struggle this season to open up tight aggresive defenders. They all are skill ful, precise and fast with the ball.

Then we come to the end how we will put in on the team and starting line up.

Against team that are tight and parking the bus. I will use 4-2-3-1 formation like this

Sancho - Olsson - McTom - Rashford + Fernandes + Martial

Against Liverpool or City which will dominate the possesion. I will use 4-5-1 formation like this.

Sancho - Olsson - McTom - Fernandes - Rashford + Martial.

But what about the coming transfer window in January. Who are most realistic to get out of those players. The most realistic and really good and creative cm player is Kristoffer Olsson. And with Pobga in the starting line up after New years eve of course. Then you might end up like this in a 4-5-1 formation. United might get Fernandes in January too. But Krasnordar from Russia league shall be realistic.

James - Olsson/Fred - McTom - Pogba - Rashford + Martial

Alternative the 4-2-3-1 formation.

James - Olsson - McTom - Rashford + Pogba + Martial

Sum up. There you have the plan. Players recommendations and how to get the best out of them and where they suit best.

Football is my passion and my street. And if any football club out there with ambition (winning and become the best) who want to add scout and adviser to your club. Just contact me. I will try and do my best to improve and strenght your football team and club to achieve your goal. And might the luck is with me.

And i think this is my last recommendation and advice i will share in a public and open forum. Where there peoples from clubs all over Europe. So i will just comment on players that has been mention on this forum, not players that hasnt been mention. Those players recommendation only go to the club i work and scout for. So again, football is my street and home. I will be able to find the weakness areas in the team and i will find the best suit out available out there. And i am willing to work for any top clubs in Europe;)

bucky

I think we have a shot, yes, I've read Barca are interested but Napoli will want big money and Barca are surely at their limit right now. Beyond that if we can finish this season building off the decent performances we've had recently we can become an attractive option again as there are starting spots to be had at the club right now. I think Lindelof is a decent squad player but I'd look towards blooding Axel in as the other main CB in general, I think buying another one in the next couple of windows will be difficult as we need to do other big deals for priority positions and given we paid £80M for Maguire we are going to get fleeced on whoever we go for in the near future, so I feel we'd be best giving Axel a real chance.
Hope you are right regarding Fabian. Still hoping on Elvedi, if I'm honest as update on Lindelof.