What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

theklr

Apparently we're bidding 20 mill Euros for Vidal now. :)

Wouldnt mind that on a short term contract. Probably false since it is coming from DirecTV in Chile :P

onemanarmy

I'm convinced we should be looking at young talent from smaller leagues, with couple of big money players coming in.

AM: Jonathan David, Canadian player, 19 years old. Plays mainly as an AM but can also play as a striker, so could be backup to Martial & Greenwood. 9 goals an 7 assists in 19 games this season for AA Gent, in a fairly defensive minded league. Scored 4 and 2 assists in Europa too. 12 caps for the NT, 11 goals. Should be available for 15 million.
DM: Sander Berge. Most people will know him; attainable for 17-20 million.

Get Sancho and Fabian Ruiz. The latter are 2 excellent players who can still improve, the former are young gems. Fresh legs for the midfield, options in AM and a must needed right winger.

Steamboat Willy

I have lost all faith in us, regarding transfers. We have missed out on so many targets, who could easily have made a he** of a lot stronger than what we are now.

IMO there are three options. Either is the way we see our self and value our own attractiveness far out. OR we do not want to pay to money it takes to get good enough players.

Or perhaps both, which is the biggest catastrophe.

Macedonian Red

Get Sancho and Fabian Ruiz. The latter are 2 excellent players who can still improve, the former are young gems. Fresh legs for the midfield, options in AM and a must needed right winger.
Agree.
I will add Ruben Neves and Madison/Grealish. They will cost a lot but I expect Pogba to leave so we will be have extra money to rebuild.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fabian Ruiz played a deeper role for Napoli against Inter and was targeted as the weak link by Conte due to his lack of pace. He was terrible according to many.

beingshe7don

Soumare reminds me of a quick and defensive minded Pogba. He's a proper box to box who will release the ball to the forwards as well as protect the defense when required. He's got a great engine and I think that would offer our lethargic midfield much needed impetus.

Kalvin Phillips seems like a really good No. 6. He reads the game very well. He intercepts the ball a lot more than pointless tackles. He's got a great passing range as well. He would offer something different as we lack a deep lying playmaker. This guy exudes qualities of being captain in the future.

Cavani is 32 and is a proven goal scorer. He's tall and can hold the ball really well. The guy is strong and would offer our forwards (mainly Greenwood) some guidance which we seem to be lacking despite having Solskjaer as manager. He would offer us about 2 to 3 years at the highest level before Rashford & Martial takes off in the next two years.

I would like to have Sancho for the RW but he'll be difficult to convince. We need a superstar RW who can score or has potential to score about 20 goals from the wing. O Dembele is that guy. This guy is a world beater. Unfortunately he's been plague with injuries. I don't think Barca's possession based football suits his style. He's more of a counter attacking machine.

Demirel from Juve. Yes, he's a CB and yes we do need a CB. We've lacked a CB whose a robust tackler and absolute beast when it comes to heading the ball. Lindelof clearly lacks that in his game. Bailly has that fearlessness about himself but he doesn't make the most intelligent of decisions and is also very injury prone. Demirel along with Maguire would offer that balance in the back with Williams on the LW and Wan Bassaka on the RW.

Lastly for the AM (No. 10 position), I would go with Bruno Fernandes or Eriksen if he can be bought on the cheap. I'm sick and tired of our freekicks and corners and we can't manage to pose any threat or create a chance when it comes to dead ball situations. Bruno and Eriksen are both very good in delivering freekicks and creating chances for our forwards. I'm sick of watching Rashford take freekicks and also Lingard, Mata and Pereira play as the No. 10.

Soumare (CM), Kalvin Phillips (CDM), Cavani (ST), O Dembele (RW), Demirel (CB) & Bruno Fernandes (AM)

Jibbs

We need an overhaul. From top to bottom. Plain and simple, which sadly doesn't look like happening.

Ed needs to be confined to marketing role.
We need a new CEO and a DoF.
Ole needs to go and a high calibre coach needs to be appointed.
All the deadwood players along with primadonas need to be shipped out.

Then we need at least 7 signings.
1 Striker
1 Right Wing
3 Midfielders
1 Left Back
1 CB

All these changes need to happen before the start of next season, only then we can expect us to be back where we should be and where we belong.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need an overhaul. From top to bottom. Plain and simple, which sadly doesn't look like happening.

1 Striker
1 Right Wing
3 Midfielders
1 Left Back
1 CB

All these changes need to happen before the start of next season, only then we can expect us to be back where we should be and where we belong.
We'll sign 3 players in the summer. Nothing else will change.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition

1 Striker
1 Right Wing
3 Midfielders
1 Left Back
1 CB

Agree with you. 7 signings in exactly the positions you mentioned, would invigorate our squad. Here's my list of names we should be looking at:

Midfield

DLP: Marcelo Brozovic / Adrien Rabiot / Leandro Paredes
(Wildcards: Kalvin Philips / SMS)

Ball-Winner: Wilfred Ndidi / Saul Niguez / Valentin Rongier
(Wildcards: Mikel Merino / Sander Berge / Boubakary Soumare)

AM(R/C): Emiliano Buendia / Fabian Ruiz / Martin Odegaard / Luis Alberto / Bruno Fernandes
(Wildcards: Wylan Cyprien / Eberechi Eze / Jack Grealish / Dani Olmo)

Forward

FWR/SS: Jadon Sancho / Hakim Ziyech / Timo Werner / Joaquin Correa / James Maddison
(Wildcards: Said Benrahma / Federico Chiesa)

Target Man: Arkadiusz Milik
(Wildcards: Aleksandr Mitrovic / Edinson Cavani)

Defence

LB: Alex Telles / Lucas Digne / Nicolas Tagliafico
(Wildcard: Hassane Kamara)

CB: Dayot Upamecano / Sebastian Schonlau / Nico Elvedi / Ruben Dias / Merih Demiral

Last edited:

Baneofthegame

Agree with you. 7 signings in exactly the positions you mentioned, would invigorate our squad. Here's my list of names we should be looking at:

Midfield

DLP: Fabian Ruiz / Adrien Rabiot / Leandro Paredes / Marcelo Brozovic
(Wildcard: SMS)

Ball-Winner: Wilfred Ndidi / Saul Niguez / Valentin Rongier / Mikel Merino
(Wildcards: Kalvin Philips / Sander Berge / Boubakary Soumare)

AM(R/C): Emiliano Buendia / Hakim Ziyech / Fabian Ruiz / Martin Odegaard / Luis Alberto / Bruno Fernandes
(Wildcards: Wylan Cyprien / Eberechi Eze / Jack Grealish)

Forward

FWR/SS: Jadon Sancho / Hakim Ziyech / Emiliano Buendia / Timo Werner / Joaquin Correa / James Maddison

Defence

CB: Dayot Upamecano / Sebastian Schonlau / Nico Elvedi / Ruben Dias
Agree with the 7 players needed, mentioned it in another thread.

If we could get top target in each we would need well over 300 million.

Ruiz - 70?
Upamecano - 50-70?
Sancho - 100
Telles - 30-40?

Which considering our two targets per year quota, is worrying for our squad.

Jibbs

I'd still go for Neves.

....Pogba...
Neves-McT
Pogba is as good as gone... replace him Donny VdB. I'd also like us to sign one more midfielder ideally. Somebody like Soumare. We are sure to loose Pogba, Matic and Lingard, Mata is pretty much useless and should be sold as well.

SambaBoy

We shouldn't be signing any back-up players. Every signing going forward should be to take the spot in the first XI, and to relegate those currently starting to a backup role or to be sold. All top clubs go about their business in this way.

In terms of what we need, hopefully we can get a CM sorted this window. A top player who can contribute as a #6, is the right age and profile for a club like Man Utd. We have been linked with a plethora of players so hopefully discussions are ongoing and we can conclude a deal in the next week.

A number 10/RW will most likely happen in the summer. We should be going for top quality players in both positions. Sancho, Grealish, Bruno Fernandes, Maddison etc.

If Pogba stays, then we probably won't need another CM and can press on with other issues. A #6, #10, Pogba, McTominay, Fred should be good enough for 3 positions to let us focus on other positions.

A CB is still an issue for us I feel. I doubt Lindelof will ever be good enough to start for a title winning team in the PL. Jones needs to go, Bailly and Rojo the same, and a new CB should be brought in, Lindelof relegated to a back-up option with Tuanzebe.

A GK is the next issue after that. De Gea's form can't be put down to a bad run of form now, his standards have clearly dropped, opposition teams are targeting him on corners/crosses and free kicks. and he's making more and more howlers. He still produces excellent saves and games but we should be scouring Europe for our next GK or even bring back Henderson and give him a chance. If not, someone like Onona would be a great addition.

Haaland would have been a good addition as a strike. Young, talented and a different option to Rashford/Martial. Can't really see many options out there now or in the summer so I think we will stick with what we have got and give Greenwood more minutes. Hopefully with the correct number #10, we can add 10-15 goals a season.

RB should be fine with AWB, Dalot and Laird for now.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

1 Striker
1 Right Wing
3 Midfielders
1 Left Back
1 CB

A new manager and 7 new players along with lots of others shipped out in 6-7 months, is a bit of a recipe for disaster, too many changes to quickly, over time though maybe 18 months it would work. I also think you might be being a bit too harsh on your squad for the moment.

I would say in this window, you need two CMs as without Pogba and McT, you're in trouble and if Fred gets injured too, it would be the end of your season. Up front you're OK for the rest of this season at least.

You definitely need a good right wing in the summer, though I have a funny feeling you won't get Sancho. I also think this forum is too harsh on Shaw and with Williams and Dalot as back ups and Laird coming through, you don't need anyone there.

An AM is a must though as soon as possible. I'd like to see you sign Grealish as I have a feeling he could have a Cantona-esque impact.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Minimum to make us competitive:

Attacking left back
Central defender
Central midfielder - ideally two with one being a young prospect
Creative attacking midfielder
Right wing
Striker

And a top manager to make it all work

roseguy64

I would be fine with a CM coming in, two if Pogba goes. Pogba(New CM), Fred, McTominay, New CM.

A #10 or RW depending on the formation chosen. Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, Pereira, New AM/RW, Lingard/Mata/Gomes/Chong

Any other signings I don't know about yet as we haven't seen Tuanzebe start enough games and I'm fine with the FBs even with Young going. Unsure about CMs as we might need another one depending on the formation.

TsuWave

Can see a team like Leicester buying Benrahma and then everybody acting surprised as to why nobody else went in for a technically gifted/creative player

Fosu-Mens

Can see a team like Leicester buying Benrahma and then everybody acting surprised as to why nobody else went in for a technically gifted/creative player

Maddison all over again?

Benrahma: At worst we would be able to sell him for roughly the same price if he does not work out or have a technically able squad player capable to start in various attacking positions due to injuries.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Leicester are going to become a lot harder to buy from, especially if they get Champions League football. They'll only sell on their terms, which means 1 key player a season at most. It wouldn't take a lot to turn them in to top 4 challengers every season. They won't get that by flogging Maddison, Chilwell and Ndidi in a single window.

scots devil

Francisco Trincao from Sporting Braga 20 years old right/left winger plays predominantly on the right, cracking prospect wouldn't cost the earth either, would get him now before he costs some serious money in a couple of years from now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If we sign players from other League, I'd like us to sign mid 20's players that more likely be consistent once they get a grip of the League. Bruno is a good example.

croadyman

I would like to see us signing Saul in that CM role but could only see it happening if we were to sell Pogba and there is no way we spend big on both CM and RW in the summer because unlike City we have a budget and not a bottomless pit of money

Would people prefer to spend big on a top class CM like Niguez but buy a cheaper option on the RW or go all in for Sancho (champions league permitting) on the RW but look at a cheaper CM like Phillips.

Let's just say we do get Bruno,is there any way we could still go back in Grealish and have both of them in the same team.I see that he has done a Maguire and liked a Utd fan's post which Villa fans are not happy about.

Last edited:

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
I would like to see us signing Saul in that CM role but could only see it happening if we were to sell Pogba and there is no way we spend big on both CM and RW in the summer because unlike City we have a budget and not a bottomless pit of money

Would people prefer to spend big on a top class CM like Niguez but buy a cheaper option on the RW like Ziyech or go all in for Sancho (champions league permitting) on the RW but look at a cheaper talented CM like Zainolo.
None of those 4 would be cheap options. Any opportunity to sign Ziyech on the cheap went with his release clause.

Tarrou

I think the most pressing concerns are

- DM controller
- RW creative left footer

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He’s a tasty player alright, I think if he went to someone like city he’d do brilliant but maybe less of an impact elsewhere

croadyman

We could definitely do with signing a proper RW in the summer,however don't feel we should necessarily spend a fortune on someone.

I am all for spending big money on that CM role and despite the difficulty my choice would be to break the bank for Saul Niguez.

I see there has been an image leaked of Ed on the Eurostar,maybe this is linked to us watching Soumare on Sunday. Mind you more likely that Woody is just going shopping in Paris.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Midfield

DLP: Adrien Rabiot / Leandro Paredes / Marcelo Brozovic
(Wildcards: Kalvin Philips / SMS)

Ball-Winner: Wilfred Ndidi / Saul Niguez / Valentin Rongier / Mikel Merino
(Wildcards: Sander Berge / Boubakary Soumare)

AM(R/C): Emiliano Buendia / Fabian Ruiz / Martin Odegaard / Luis Alberto / Bruno Fernandes
(Wildcards: Wylan Cyprien / Eberechi Eze / Jack Grealish)

Forward

FWR/SS: Jadon Sancho / Hakim Ziyech / Emiliano Buendia / Timo Werner / Joaquin Correa / James Maddison

Defence

CB: Dayot Upamecano / Sebastian Schonlau / Nico Elvedi / Ruben Dias / Merih Demiral
Ndidi. Martin Odegaard. Jadon Sancho. 10/10 window for me.

beingshe7don

If we do indeed sell Pogba to Madrid next summer, what are the chances of Madrid allowing us to get Vinicius Jr as part of the deal? Rashford, Martial and Vinicius Jr would create havoc.

Relfy

We need a lot if we want to be back close to challenging for major honors again. We really need to take a leaf out of Inter's book and go and get our main business done in a single window, and then add to it from there - I am a realist and understand this will not happen before anyone says anything!

If the below cannot or will not be done on transfers, then we have to blood the youth that are knocking on the door. Williams and Greenwood look great players, but maybe it is time to give someone like Tuanzebe a run at CB, and give Gomes a chance in the #10 position for a few games. I doubt Tuanzebe or Gomes do any worse than those starting in front of them at present.

CB - Someone to partner Maguire long term. Lindelof looks weak to me. I'd like to think Tuanzebe will get a chance, but if not we need someone else in to stop us leaking goals.
CM x 2 - We need 2 players in regardless of Pogba's plans. We are too short here as it is and will likely cut Matic loose this summer.
#10 - More creativity is needed here and someone who is a genuine goal threat. Lingard, Pereria and Mata are squad players at best.
RW - We need someone here who offers us genuine width and a threat from the right. The added width will help us get around teams with a low block.

AneRu

Assuming we seal the Bruno transfer, we need a right sided forward and a deeplying playmaker/or just someone who can keep the team ticking over in midfield but who is also able to hold his own defensively in the summer. Sancho and Kalvin Phillips look like the most obvious ones.

In other positions like defense we simply need to give more chances to the likes of Williams and Tuanzebe to stake their claim. Maybe make a signing the summer after next if they don't step up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Hah that would be a 10/10 for most of us. Very expensive & sadly, very unlikely though.
Yes. Talent cost these days and talent that clubs wont sell cost even more, but it is not like we're talking about Neymar and Mbappe here, it should be possible.

Leicester after this season should be hard to buy from, but they are still Leicester so owners might decide to cash in here and reinvest. Real Madrid have made a few costly mistakes and will probably be looking to reinvest. Could be included in a deal for Pogba. Sancho is supposed to take a step up soon and Dortmund never seems to want to keep a player that wants to leave, which means if we offer enough money to Sancho we should have some appeal to him. I'd say if we're willing to spend, we could get all 3. I think we should do that when we actually manage to identify targets that seems just perfect. Then we can hunt for bargains in the championship later after those signings have been made.

Devil may care

I'm not keen on the proposed Bruno signing, I think he'll be exposed in the PL, but if it happens then I think we'll only go for 2 starters in the summer and possibly Jimenez for the back-up Striker role. I've seen the Koulibaly rumours and if we move out Rojo, Jones and Bailly over the next couple of windows I suppose it could happen, but I highly doubt it.

Midfield should be the biggest focus but I'm sure Matic having a couple of half decent games will warrant a new contract and us just buying one CM. Hopefully the one CM will at least be a playmaker, Fred has a pass in him but isn't consistent with it, and both him and McTominay can do the all rounder workhorse thing, adding a more cultured ball player in there would elevate this team.

In attack if there is a major signing it will surely be a winger, obviously Sancho will be the main target but I think it'll be dependant on us getting top 4 which is minimal IMO. To be honest I haven't had the time or the enthusiasm to watch a lot of football outside United this season, so I am not sure who is in form, especially outside the PL, I'm sure there are a few lesser options out there that could come in for a lot less money if Sancho goes elsewhere.

If we got Sanhcho and Fabian Ruiz for the 2 vacant positons below I'd consider it a successful summer by our recent standards, and if we can add Jimenez as well then great.