What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Smithy89

We still need a CB, fullback, DM, Winger, Striker etc etc etc. Just doesn't seem to end.

ILC

Cavani and Thiago Silva? I'm sorry, but I can't think of players I want less, to be honest.

8 signings, 4 of which are defenders. Two is turning 34 next season and one is turning 36.

Come on, man. We're not trying to build a retirment home, are we?
50% of them are defenders because we have a shitty defense and we desperately need to improve that.

What retirement home are you talking about? There's 3 players over 30 in the starting 11 I posted and 1 in the reserves. That's 4/22.

Cavani is a must. Still a WC striker and a winner who will improve the team in the same way Bruno did. He's the utmost professional, his age doesn't matter really, especially when you have Mason in the wings already. He keeps in top shape, works like a horse and scores for fun. There's not one reason he shouldn't be signed.

We need to improve this defense and Silva is better than anyone we have even at his age. He'll be fine for one season, but I'd also be happy with someone like Boateng or Bonucci instead of him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is just a masterpiece in science fiction.
Why?

We have the money, that's not the problem. All good players and winners most importantly, that's not the problem either.

If you're hung about on the starting XI vs reserves - that's all gonna change over the course of a 10 months season with a proper manager, everyone will get their time.

Glazers issue? Yeah, probably, but still not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Njord

Over the next two summers I'd like to see five new signings:

RW: Sancho
Creative mid (cover): Grealish
Holding mid (long term Matic replacement): Rice (Tonali/Fabian/Neves)

Starting CB: Konate (Upamecano/Dias)
Attacking LB: Davies (Chilwell/Saka/Signe)

I'd give the current back four another season, but we could still get rid of Jones and Dalot, and promote Laird and Mengi to their roles. Mata, Lingard and Pereira needs to go, and Sancho and Grealish would be massive improvements.

If Lindelöf and Shaw doesn't improve, then replace them next summer. With AWB at right back we need an attacking left back. Alphonso Davies would be the dream signing, but probably difficult to take him off Bayern.

Skåre Willoch

50% of them are defenders because we have a shitty defense and we desperately need to improve that.

What retirement home are you talking about? There's 3 players over 30 in the starting 11 I posted and 1 in the reserves. That's 4/22.

Cavani is a must. Still a WC striker and a winner who will improve the team in the same way Bruno did. He's the utmost professional, his age doesn't matter really, especially when you have Mason in the wings already. He keeps in top shape, works like a horse and scores for fun. There's not one reason he shouldn't be signed.

We need to improve this defense and Silva is better than anyone we have even at his age. He'll be fine for one season, but I'd also be happy with someone like Boateng or Bonucci instead of him.
The retirement home I'm talking about is Thiago Silva, Edinson Cavani and Joao Moutinho.

Silva would be a brutal watch in the Premier League at his age, I think. I actually think the same goes for Bonucci and Boateng. Thanks, but no thanks.

Moutinho is decent, nothing more. We should stay far, far away from him in my opinion. Buy someone 10, or even 15 years younger.

I can think of several reasons not to sign Cavani, actually.
One reason Cavani should not be signed is that he's 33, turning 34 in february. Another reason is the wages he's allegedly demanding (€12m net). A third reason we shouldn't sign Cavani is the length of the contract he allegedly demanding (two years). A fourth reason to not sign Cavani is that he's been injured quite a bit this season (4 separate injuries, in fact).
Also, "scores for fun"? 4 goals in League 1, 7 goals in all competitions this season. I know he's not really played much, but 4 league goals sounds like he's not having much fun, then.

freeurmind

weak willed
Top class CB to partner Maguire, Right-back to challenge AWB, Starting DM, Starting Rw

Devil may care

This is what I think too, but very unlikely I reckon. I think two will be the max we buy, our owners are tight in normal years so covid will surely have an impact.
Yeah, i think it will depend on what we can get from sales, at CB there's at least potential for Axel or Bailly to be that fast, athletic partner Maguire needs if they can stay fit, Matic is the only holder we have so I'd go for that position and Sancho if we only bring in 2.

Craig Ward

Over the next two transfer windows (summer windows) we need:

RW:
AM:
DM:
CB:
ST:

Tall order depending on out-goings.

We may sign more if players become available etc so not a given but them areas need addressing.

Sancho, Grealish and either a DM or CB this window, a striker will wait until Jan maybe when Ighalo leaves.

Sancho is the one though - we have to sign him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I disagree.

Players like Sancho are almost never available, and when they are, we should be all over them. Right now we have Greenwood (who should be playing more as a 9) and Dan James for the RW. That's not competing with the best. 4 players (Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and Sancho) for competing for the 3 spots up front is competing with the best, and even then we need one more (squad option = Ighalo replacement) in my opinion.

I agree we need a better CB. But in my opinion, when/if Sancho is available, we simply have to go for him.

If we can't buy two players, get rid of all deadwood, keep Smalling and try to play Tuanzebe.
I'm not saying we should avoid Sancho. I'm saying the need for a quality center back is bigger than a generational talent on the right wing, because we already have 3 generational talents in attack. It's not like we are desperate for creativity from any angle.

Sure we should go for Sancho but 100% no if it affects our ability to get a proper center back.

Craig Ward

I'm not saying we should avoid Sancho. I'm saying the need for a quality center back is bigger than a generational talent on the right wing, because we already have 3 generational talents in attack. It's not like we are desperate for creativity from any angle.

Sure we should go for Sancho but 100% no if it affects our ability to get a proper center back.
Your deluded if you think we need a CB more than Sancho.

We have lacked creatively and depth for years. Absolute years.

We have flaws in defence, but nothing major. Lindelof is weak, Maguire is slow etc. We could debate it all day. But the fact is, we need an attacker as an absolute priority. We havent had a RW for about 7 seasons. Lets sort that out.

No reason why we cant sign both anyway

Skåre Willoch

And I'm not saying we should avoid signing a center back. I just think we should prioritize Sancho above everyone else, and you think we should prioritize a CB over Sancho.
I think it would be ludicrous to buy another very expensive CB only a year after breaking the world record for Harry Maguire and going without a good RW for a decade, especially if it means we don't get Sancho.

But please, do both. And a CM/DM. But if we can only afford one, there should be no doubts whatsoever that Sancho should be our number 1 target.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And I'm not saying we should avoid signing a center back. I just think we should prioritize Sancho above everyone else, and you think we should prioritize a CB over Sancho.
I think it would be ludicrous to buy another very expensive CB only a year after breaking the world record for Harry Maguire and going without a good RW for a decade, especially if it means we don't get Sancho.

But please, do both. And a CM/DM. But if we can only afford one, there should be no doubts whatsoever that Sancho should be our number 1 target.
You said you would buy Sancho even if it meant no center back, which isn't about prioritizing but actually displacing one for another. I want Sancho too, and I'm fine if we prioritize getting him done so long as it doesn't hurt our ability to tie down a top center back, because that's the area on the pitch we need most improvement in.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
1. RF
2. CM
3. CDM

I think we should mainly be concerned by the complete lack of quality depth in the squad as opposed to the starting XI which I think looks fairly good. I know some may argue that there are issues in defence but I don't think an injury here or there in defence really impacts on the performance of the team in the same way that an injury to Pogba or Bruno would. I'd be more inclined to run it again next season with the same defensive options before looking to possibly strengthen in Summer 2021.

Sancho is obviously the target for RF, and should be a United player if we do wrap up CL qualification.

In terms of CM, I don't really see how someone like Grealish would be a good fit. OGS has accommodated both Bruno and Pogba in the side by pushing Pogba deeper; if Grealish were to sign, which of Grealish or Bruno would be pushed deeper alongside Matic? Obviously, Grealish would be more suited to playing alongside Pogba, but I don't think we would be getting good value in the transfer market if we sign a CM who can only play alongside one of our two other primary passers. I'm not too sure on the veracity of the sources involved, but we were linked to Tolisso a few weeks ago; he might make more sense in terms of fit than Grealish for instance.

As for CDM, I think we need both depth and a long-term starter given Matic's age. Rice might make sense in terms of fit but I can't see him coming cheaply given that he's English and he's come up out of West Ham's academy. I think someone like Marc Roca might be a good option here; he has a €40 million buy-out clause but Espanyol got relegated so you could probably buy him for even less than that.

Skåre Willoch

You said you would buy Sancho even if it meant no center back, which isn't about prioritizing but actually displacing one for another. I want Sancho too, and I'm fine if we prioritize getting him done so long as it doesn't hurt our ability to tie down a top center back, because that's the area on the pitch we need most improvement in.
Yes, but this doesn't mean I don't want us to sign a center back. You say the exact same thing, just the other way around.

bsCallout

Essential to compete for title - RW and CB

Very important - CDM & GK

If we don't get top 4, we will be in trouble. Our ability to act in the window is down to whether we get CL.

The Irish Connection

1. RF
2. CM
3. CDM

I think we should mainly be concerned by the complete lack of quality depth in the squad as opposed to the starting XI which I think looks fairly good. I know some may argue that there are issues in defence but I don't think an injury here or there in defence really impacts on the performance of the team in the same way that an injury to Pogba or Bruno would. I'd be more inclined to run it again next season with the same defensive options before looking to possibly strengthen in Summer 2021.

Sancho is obviously the target for RF, and should be a United player if we do wrap up CL qualification.

In terms of CM, I don't really see how someone like Grealish would be a good fit. OGS has accommodated both Bruno and Pogba in the side by pushing Pogba deeper; if Grealish were to sign, which of Grealish or Bruno would be pushed deeper alongside Matic? Obviously, Grealish would be more suited to playing alongside Pogba, but I don't think we would be getting good value in the transfer market if we sign a CM who can only play alongside one of our two other primary passers. I'm not too sure on the veracity of the sources involved, but we were linked to Tolisso a few weeks ago; he might make more sense in terms of fit than Grealish for instance.

As for CDM, I think we need both depth and a long-term starter given Matic's age. Rice might make sense in terms of fit but I can't see him coming cheaply given that he's English and he's come up out of West Ham's academy. I think someone like Marc Roca might be a good option here; he has a €40 million buy-out clause but Espanyol got relegated so you could probably buy him for even less than that.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I say we should go for Sancho and forget Grealish. Sancho can play number 10 and we have a very talented attacking midfielder in mejbri who we should develop.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think what we still need is a question where the urgency changes depending on other team activity. Personally I'd be happy with just Sancho this summer, it would be a good next step for squad building and a huge plus to the starters, as well as giving others chances to stake their claim to other places which is something we've always done. It's also what I'd expect us to do. On the other hand, you see Chelsea signing Ziyech, Werner, strong links with Havertz, then if they also go for Oblak or Chilwell or both, it would be a huge summer for them. Now also hearing stories that City will go big this summer, not a surprise after they took the piss out of FFP and got away with it, so could be looking at a big summer for them to fight for the title.

If both of those happen, then surely we also need to step up and be more aggressive just to keep pace. Basically the business you'd expect us to make between this window, January and next summer should all be pushed forward to now essentially. Basically a window like this if we want to keep pace with what Chelsea are rumored to be doing and what City might do:
  • RW - Sancho the obvious one​
  • CB - No Idea. Quick, aggressive, comfortable on the ball type. Starting quality.​
  • CDM - Partey/Camavinga - Don't think we'll get either, but it's the sort of thing we need. A holding mid who can come in and really take control of the midfield and play most games, since Matic is getting older and older​
  • CAM (depth) - Grealish, with Villa going down. He's not starting level but he's the level of squad player we should look at (and you look at the level that Chelsea/City have or will have)​
Those 4 would cost probably 250m - 300m, but it's what's needed IMO. If we spread it out between this and next year, then add in an older Giroud type striker to backup the attack as depth and an Ighalo replacement, and sort out the fullback situation. And probably we'll replace Pogba next summer as I think he'll stay the 1 more year.

bosnian_red

I really disagree with it being the area we need the most improvement. It's pretty much level of defence as City and Liverpool have. It's the attack where we are really far behind both, and even though we're improving, Sancho is the one who is perfect for that spot and sort out our attacking depth and starting positions at the same time. There is no such obvious choices for CB, no dream signing like what Sancho is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really disagree with it being the area we need the most improvement. It's pretty much level of defence as City and Liverpool have. It's the attack where we are really far behind both, and even though we're improving, Sancho is the one who is perfect for that spot and sort out our attacking depth and starting positions at the same time. There is no such obvious choices for CB, no dream signing like what Sancho is.
Going by the league table on goals conceded and goals scored, you definately a point, however I feel that our attack has been clicking into gear and this will likely continue. Whereas in defence the wheels really have been coming off, and it needs a strong looking at.

AneRu

RF
DM
CB
Are absolutely critical going into next season. The rest we will have to make do and solve next year.

bosnian_red

Going by the league table on goals conceded and goals scored, you definately a point, however I feel that our attack has been clicking into gear and this will likely continue. Whereas in defence the wheels really have been coming off, and it needs a strong looking at.
Our attack clicks when all are fit. Take out Bruno and it won't. Take our Rashford and it'll be a level down. Greenwood is 18 and shouldn't be starting yet. Sancho gives us an automatic front 3 where any injury or substitution or rest, Greenwood comes in for any of the 3. Thats the role he should have at this stage of his career imo and he'll push any of the other 3 for starting places so its perfect competition. As it stands, if we don't sort out the RW position, we'll be fecked with any injury in our front 3. You generally need more depth in attack anyway compared to defensively. I'd say #2 for priorities should be CB, closely followed by a clear starting holding midfielder as the top 3. But without a doubt #1 is Sancho, based on both his own quality and our deficiencies in both starting 11 and squad.

CM10

No chance. We've been begging for a proper right winger for years and Sancho fits that bill perfectly. He will rightly be our top priority this summer.

I'm no fan of Lindelof or Maguire (and hopefully another CB will be on the agenda) but even an average defence can look good when it's properly organised. Average forwards get found out very quickly.

starman

In:
Sancho 100m
Brooks 35m
Ake 35m
Van De Beek 45m

Out:
Bailly 15m
Rojo 10m
Smalling 15m
Jones 10m
Lingard 15m
Pereira 15m
Sanchez 15m (50m if City want him...;))
De Gea (maybe)

Loans:
James
Chong
Garner

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Go big or go home...... probably take 2 windows.

In:
Sancho 90m
Koulibaly 70m
Partey 40m
Icing - Grealish 40m
200m - 240m

-------------Henderson
Wan B--------Maguire--- Koulibaly ------Shaw
---------Partey--------Pogba------
-------------Fernandes--------------
Sancho-----Martial-------Rashford

Out:
Bailly 15m
Rojo 10m
Smalling 15m
Jones 10m
Lingard 15m
Pereira 15m
Sanchez 0m
De Gea very unlikely but 30 mill to anyone that will take him
Fred 40m
120m - 150m

Loans:
James
Chong
Garner

Squeaky Bumtime

Go big or go home...... probably take 2 windows.

In:
Sancho 90m
Koulibaly 70m
Partey 40m
Icing - Grealish 40m
200m - 240m

-------------Henderson
Wan B--------Maguire--- Koulibaly ------Shaw
---------Partey--------Pogba------
-------------Fernandes--------------
Sancho-----Martial-------Rashford

Out:
Bailly 15m
Rojo 10m
Smalling 15m
Jones 10m
Lingard 15m
Pereira 15m
Sanchez 0m
De Gea very unlikely but 30 mill to anyone that will take him
Fred 40m
120m - 150m

Loans:
James
Chong
Garner
5 in, 13 out?
Doesn't sound right to me.

On topic:
Forward - Sancho
RB
CB
DM, replacement for Matić

jamesjimmybyrondean

Doesn't matter, we need squad depth, we can't get rid of everyone at once.
From his list Rojo Smalling Jones and Sanchez haven't featured at all and we've never needed them. The remaining 4 players being sold will be replaced. Koulibaly replaces Bailly, Henderson replaces De Gea, Grealish replaces Pereira, Bruno has already replaced Lingard. Only thing I don't agree with is loaning James

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Whenever it looks like we need just a couple of good new players, 2 or 3 of the existing squad then seem to fall off a cliff playing wise. It really is a never ending story.

I know he won't do but if I was Ole I'd bring Smalling back and bite the bullet. Definitely no worse than what we have right now and would actually compliment Maguire more than Lindelof does.

Sancho if we get CL and can afford him looks a goer.

New DM to compete with Matic.

Squeaky Bumtime

From his list Rojo Smalling Jones and Sanchez haven't featured at all and we've never needed them. The remaining 4 players being sold will be replaced. Koulibaly replaces Bailly, Henderson replaces De Gea, Grealish replaces Pereira, Bruno has already replaced Lingard. Only thing I don't agree with is loaning James
That would be a fanstastic transfer window which won't happen cause we're trying to get Sancho too. I dont see us getting all those players in one window. I'd keep Freed for squad depth.

UpWithRivers

Whenever it looks like we need just a couple of good new players, 2 or 3 of the existing squad then seem to fall off a cliff playing wise. It really is a never ending story.

I know he won't do but if I was Ole I'd bring Smalling back and bite the bullet. Definitely no worse than what we have right now and would actually compliment Maguire more than Lindelof does.

Sancho if we get CL and can afford him looks a goer.

New DM to compete with Matic.
Exactly this. Drives me nuts. Not one player has been consistently good year in year out. Even De Gea is at it now and he was our most consistent player for years. This time next year we will be looking for Maguire and Wan B replacements knowing our luck.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Exactly this. Drives me nuts. Not one player has been consistently good year in year out. Even De Gea is at it now and he was our most consistent player for years. This time next year we will be looking for Maguire and Wan B replacements knowing our luck.
I think it's highly probable we will be all wanting a new right back soon. Since we bought Bruno and stopped being a sit back and counter team, AWB has looked like a fish out of water. He's good defensively but he's a real weak link for us with the way we now want to play because he's just not comfortable on the ball.

Maguire will probably be okay once we find a partner he's more suited to. Lindelof certainly isn't it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm hoping for Grealish and Sancho, anything more than that is a bonus.

Not seen anything of Mengi but if he's as good as is mooted, then we should promote him to the first team rather than splash out on a new CB. We're incredibly critical of Lindelof and is the popular choice as the one to replace, but our defence has looked solid this year (DDG aside). With that in mind, i'd be tempted to leave as it is but with Mengi providing competition.

We definitely need more options in the final 3rd and have the ability to swap/change Pogba/Bruno and I think Grealish is a great fit, can play out wide and through the middle.

Dan600

Windows like this make me wish we were City or Chelsea, able to throw money at our problems. I think we still need 2 RW (loaning out D James for a season or 2), a DM, an older striker (around the 30 mark, won’t play every game or hold Martial/Greenwood back), and at a push, a CB due to Bailly/Tuanzebe being so injury prone.
I’m not too worried about AM, IF we get Sancho and a DM/CM. If Bruno/Pogba are injured we push the other forward with DM and Matic behind, with Sancho another creator alongside them.

Ideally I’d like to see Sancho, Ndidi, and one of Jimenez/Aubameyang. They seem, in dream world, straight forward. But on a 2nd RW and CB I’m less sure, and I am struggling for no brainer candidates were money no obstacle..
There aren’t many I’ve seen in the PL who I would take or be confident in and I haven’t watched too much European football this year to know who to pick from there. I’ll list some options from the PL, but are they what we need? I’m not sure.

Right Wingers

The 2nd RW could be a Ryan Fraser, would be free and help the budget, and would presumably be happy as back up. Willian also another free, still an interesting option to come in as a rotation option.
Adama Traore would be interesting but not good for the budget if we are bringing in Sancho.
Zaha. Don’t think his end product is there still. Presumably cheaper than he was if Palace need funds but don’t think he is good enough.
Saint Maximin at Newcastle looks explosive, but I don’t think we’d handle his injury problems well, and presumably Newcastle would give us a ‘Longstaff’ valuation.

For Center Back
Lewis Dunk can play out from the back and make the long switch passes, and always looks solid on set pieces but I wouldn’t know whether he is good enough, or is that much quicker than Maguire in truth, but I think with them alongside one another the line held would be decent so maybe it wouldn’t be a problem?

Ake gets mentioned but is seemingly City bound and I honestly don’t feel comfortable when I’ve watched him play, doesn’t seem to have the confidence this season, granted it’s in a struggling Bournemouth side.

Then it sort of gets Hazey, looking at likes of Mings, Godfrey, Issa Diop, Schar, Tarkowski etc. Are any strong enough, or an improvement on Lindelof? That’s why maybe a CB from the continent is a better bet because there really aren’t too many in the PL that would be improvements, but I have no idea who.

hubbuh

Our attack clicks when all are fit. Take out Bruno and it won't. Take our Rashford and it'll be a level down. Greenwood is 18 and shouldn't be starting yet. Sancho gives us an automatic front 3 where any injury or substitution or rest, Greenwood comes in for any of the 3. Thats the role he should have at this stage of his career imo and he'll push any of the other 3 for starting places so its perfect competition. As it stands, if we don't sort out the RW position, we'll be fecked with any injury in our front 3. You generally need more depth in attack anyway compared to defensively. I'd say #2 for priorities should be CB, closely followed by a clear starting holding midfielder as the top 3. But without a doubt #1 is Sancho, based on both his own quality and our deficiencies in both starting 11 and squad.
Agreed. I'm of the opinion though that cover for Bruno's position is priority #2. I reckon it'll be Donny Van de Beek (though hoping for Grealish). Get Sancho and an attacking mid, ship out Lingard, Mata, Rojo, Jones and Smalling. Next season (assuming we can't afford it this window) get a new DM (Zakaria, Camavinga etc.)and a new top class CB if we're still having this conversation about Lindelof/Tuanzebe. The elephant in the room is the GK position, but I think Ole would rather give Hendo a chance than not.

Onerealunited

Ole has told it Man Utd times. We will neither sell nor buy too many players in a transfer season. I know we have a lot of deadwood and and many places that need better cover however I do support the current strategy of the club in smaller changes in the team and then step by step come closer to be a title challenger in the long term. I would indeed be happy if we get 2-3 players in (2 quality players and 1 prospect), and then get rid off 3-4 players

croadyman

Ole has told it Man Utd times. We will neither sell nor buy too many players in a transfer season. I know we have a lot of deadwood and and many places that need better cover however I do support the current strategy of the club in smaller changes in the team and then step by step come closer to be a title challenger in the long term. I would indeed be happy if we get 2-3 players in (2 quality players and 1 prospect), and then get rid off 3-4 players
So maybe Sancho & VDB as the quality players and Pau Torres as the prospect

Diablodave

Lots of people getting optimistic on our selling fees. £10mill for Rojo or Jones? We can't shift Rojo on 80k wages with a contract that expires the season after this one coming. Poor injury record. No big clubs are interested. The small clubs can't afford the wage. Our only hope is a move to China, or we will end up subsidising a large part of his wage in order to facilitate the move which would be pointless when we are trying to get them off the wage bill. I suspect you will see these guys just run their contracts down as they won't get the wages anywhere else.

Man-United

We will have to give away Rojo and Jones for free, almost never get decent money when selling.

croadyman

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I say we should go for Sancho and forget Grealish. Sancho can play number 10 and we have a very talented attacking midfielder in mejbri who we should develop.
Still say to keep an eye on VDB situation after we have sold some players