What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

croadyman

It looks like this summer we’ll hopefully have sorted the following

RW - Sancho
CAM backup - VDB
LB - Reguilon

Next summer I assume we’ll go for the following:

CDM - Zakaria, Rice, etc
CB - it seems like Upamecano would be the first choice with Badiashile the potential second choice.
ST - we’ll need a backup striker for Martial, but I don’t think we’ll spend big, possibly a Josh King or maybe even that young Brugge player Dennis would be a good signing.
My gut feeling all along is that we only go for a CDM next summer if the Fred & McTominay experiment to cover Matic doesn't work out.

I expect that Dayot will be our top target at CB next summer however cannot be slow because all noises suggest Bayern are very keen on him.

Cathy Ferguson

They could hold the fort for the next season like they did the previous one. And next season hopefully we could get our preferred CB target. While sorting out the LB position, which is equally important IMO.
True. For LB we know that Shaw is injury prone so getting Reguilon make more sense than buiyng a young CB for the future. Buying an established CB would be expensive and who would that be? Koulibaily is too old for a large outlay.

Devil may care

They could hold the fort for the next season like they did the previous one. And next season hopefully we could get our preferred CB target. While sorting out the LB position, which is equally important IMO.
Unless we get a more mobile holding midfielder I feel that CB partnership will get exposed time and again, with LB I think we need cover/competition for Shaw and make Williams the RB cover, but CB is a bigger issue, problem is the lack of options this summer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Obviously Thiago will go to Liverpool but if he did come here, would he play in a diamond?

Thiago

VDB Pogba

Bruno

Home against bottom sides? If Thiago isn't here then Matic at the base?

I think we still need a tempo setter, an overused term perhaps but some who can retain the ball and speed up/slow down passages of play, dictate the tempo and help us go through the gears. Bruno is basically operating as a free role/second striker which is great but with his expansive and sometimes expensive pass ratios, not a tempo setter. Same with Pogba etc.

Seems the traditional "6" is no longer something top teams are using. Screens and interceptions but who on the ball, is very composed, can pass, break lines, avoid press and set that tempo etc. Who on earth can do this that we can purchase? Thiago? Tonali? Busquets? Verratti? Very hard to find that type of player.

croadyman

Obviously Thiago will go to Liverpool but if he did come here, would he play in a diamond?

Thiago

VDB Pogba

Bruno

Home against bottom sides? If Thiago isn't here then Matic at the base?

I think we still need a tempo setter, an overused term perhaps but some who can retain the ball and speed up/slow down passages of play, dictate the tempo and help us go through the gears. Bruno is basically operating as a free role/second striker which is great but with his expansive and sometimes expensive pass ratios, not a tempo setter. Same with Pogba etc.

Seems the traditional "6" is no longer something top teams are using. Screens and interceptions but who on the ball, is very composed, can pass, break lines, avoid press and set that tempo etc. Who on earth can do this that we can purchase? Thiago? Tonali? Busquets? Verratti? Very hard to find that type of player.
Have seen a few of their fans on Twitter genuinely worried about interest from Barca in him

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich

Exactly. Although Goretzka is the " defensive" CM, Thiago is the one being closer to the defence line. Over the years Thiago became exactly the player you described. Thiago is quick, has high workrate, one of the best in recoveries, interceptions, transition game, is pressing resistent, controls the game and takes part in the attacking game.

For me he is the most balanced CM right now.

Thiago played as the deepest CM multiple times for Bayern, especially under Guardiola if I remember correctly.

I always thought Pogba would play this role, but for some reason there is something lacking.

Although Thiago is a nobrainer , I think United has a limited budget. Focus should be on one attacking player and one defender. Just start with 3 out of Matic/VDB/Poga/Bruno.

laughtersassassin

Good thing there is no fans at football anymore. This window is our worst post Moyes. Why we always stop trying after we make top 4. Infuriating. Feel for Ole

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Exactly. Although Goretzka is the " defensive" CM, Thiago is the one being closer to the defence line. Over the years Thiago became exactly the player you described. Thiago is quick, has high workrate, one of the best in recoveries, interceptions, transition game, is pressing resistent, controls the game and takes part in the attacking game.

For me he is the most balanced CM right now.

Thiago played as the deepest CM multiple times for Bayern, especially under Guardiola if I remember correctly.

I always thought Pogba would play this role, but for some reason there is something lacking.

Although Thiago is a nobrainer , I think United has a limited budget. Focus should be on one attacking player and one defender. Just start with 3 out of Matic/VDB/Poga/Bruno.
Neves?

DeeDee7

Grab Marcus Edwards before hes the next over priced english asset.

Fosu-Mens

Be top 4 and possibly progress into the knockouts of the ECL: We can do that this season, with the current style of football and players available. Still, a fullback and a forward option would make this more likely, as injuries to certain players would force us to play subpar players.

Compete for ECL and EPL: No chance with the current approach on how to play football and some of the players in the starting 11. The benchmark is Bayern (Which is basically a combination of how Liverpool and City attack with positional fluidity, flexibility and mutual understanding and their use of their fullbacks and midfielders.). We are far behind when it comes to how to play, having players able to operate in multiple roles and being good enough at passing and moving...

So if the long term goal is top 4 and reaching the knockouts in the ECL, then we only need quality in-depth and a good attacking fullback to be able to achieve this. If the goal is ECL and EPL glory, radical changes in the squad, approach to football and management/coaches is needed (not that we can realistically dream about this under the current ownership/governance).

NoPace

Rashford(James)---Martial(Greenwood)----Sancho(Winger)
-----------------Pogba(VDB)----------Bruno(Fred)-------------------------
--------------------------------DM(McTominay)--------------------------------
LB(Shaw)------Maguire(Lindelof)-----CB(Bailly)------WanBissaka(RB)
----------------------------------De Gea(Henderson)-------------------------

and then Ighalo as a backup striker, Williams as the 5th fullback a lot of teams end up playing a fair bit, Tuanzebe as 5th CB similar boat, maybe one of Mata, Pereira or Lingard should stick around for the season as a 7th attacker and 7th CM by virtue of being able to play as a #10, other two get sold
Also a 3rd keeper not sure as I assume Romero will leave to start somewhere.

We could risk waiting on a the backup RB and probably the backup RW with 5 young guys ahead of him for the front 3 and Ighalo available to play in the attack, Bruno and Van Der Beek too, but we have to buy Sancho, and get a quality starter in at LB, DM and CB or have someone surprisingly have a great year there.

We don't have the quality manager or system needed to get 8/10 performances from guys like Wijnaldum or Matic or O'Shea or Brown, I think we need quality everywhere and also Maguire will start.

NoPace

I'm surprised people are okay with Matic as first choice DM next year. Haven't seen enough consistently good control of the midfield or protecting the CBs for me to feel good about him as first choice and he's another year older and slower.

Mark Pawelek

Originally the consensus was United needed: RW, L-CB, CDM, LB, CF, AM

RW: Sancho / Greenwood
CB: With Mengi we have 4 fit CBs
CDM: Matic / Fred
LB: Shaw / Williams !!!
CF: Martial / Greenwood
B2B: Pogba / Van der Beek / Hannibal
AM: Fernandes / Mata

Outstanding squad gaps are at RW, LB (and CDM). Shaw won't stay fit for more the 75% of games. Williams is not left-footed. We have no youth players who can step up at LB. Looks like we'll get Sancho (who can also play AM). That's leaves us light at LB. We must buy a LB.

I'm not blasé about the CDM position. I just don't see who we can get! We're a pressing team. So all attackers and midfielders press other than the holding midfielder = CDM. The holding Midfielder is more of a sweeper to stop through balls, balls over the top; dribbles past the pressers, and 1-2s by-passing the pressing. Almost a 3rd CB at times. We don't play with an Ndidi-style 'enforcer'. The kind of Carrick-like CDM we need just isn't available.

Last edited:

croadyman

Sancho with a LB and a CB would be ideal this year. Then bring in a DM next summer.
Only looks like maybe Sancho this sunmer now as talk of Reguilon seems to be fading and doesn't seem any serious interest in Telles.

I have wrote off us signing a CB for this summer after not going for Gabriel and the Upamecano stuff getting quashed.

Mark Pawelek

LB is a higher priority than CB.

United have 7 CBs (8 if we include Shaw). Plus a few demonstrably good youth prospects.
We have 1 LB currently out injured. No youth prospects who're proven.

CBs:
Fit: Maguire, Lindelöf, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo
Injured: Tuanzebe, Jones, Shaw
Youth: Mengi, Fish, Bernard

If I were Woody I'd be fuming that we bought so many CBs but my manager is still unhappy with them. That my manager wants another CB ahead of LB. Even thought we haven't a single left-footed LB fit to start the season with.

UpWithRivers

LB is a higher priority than CB.

United have 7 CBs (8 if we include Shaw). Plus a few demonstrably good youth prospects.
We have 1 LB currently out injured. No youth prospects who're proven.

CBs:
Fit: Maguire, Lindelöf, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo
Injured: Tuanzebe, Jones, Shaw
Youth: Mengi, Fish, Bernard

If I were Woody I'd be fuming that we bought so many CBs but my manager is still unhappy with them. That my manager wants another CB ahead of LB. Even thought we haven't a single left-footed LB fit to start the season with.
It is ridiculous but somehow we have millions of CB's but cant rely on any of them. Smalling and Rojo want out and probably will be sold if we can. Bailly, TFM, Rojo, Jones cant be relied upon both because of injury and form. Shaw is not a CB. He can play there sure but hes not really a CB. Mengi etc are young and inexperienced.
Basically we have Maguire + Lindelof. And even the first choice pairing arnt they ideal parnership - too slow. One gets injured and were fkd. It like last years midfield. Sure we can throw some bodies in but like last years band aid of Lingard, Periera etc who are average at best its going to result in us struggling. Especially since we think we can have Fernandes as a 10 and Pogba + Other in Midfield. At least our midfield band aids last year wernt all crocks.
We need to sell at least 4 of them Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Jones. And get at least one decent reliable CB.

Bestietom

Only looks like maybe Sancho this sunmer now as talk of Reguilon seems to be fading and doesn't seem any serious interest in Telles.

I have wrote off us signing a CB for this summer after not going for Gabriel and the Upamecano stuff getting quashed.
Yes, you could be right, but we certainly need a few more additions. It's going to be a long season and injuries will come with the games so close to each other. We need numbers with talent..

croadyman

Would take a window of Sancho, Telles & VDB right now,Thiago only happens if Liverpool keep fecking around which can't happen much longer

Devil may care

VdB is a good buy but Ole needs at least another 4 to 5 players to have a squad that can compete for the PL. Before anyone jumps out on their soapbox I'm not saying this window, but over the next 3; Sancho, a CM, Forward, LB and CB.

Sancho should be done this summer, end of story.

I'd love Thiago this summer but I don't see it happening, so I hope to see us looking at Camavinga or Bruno Guimeras next summer.

If we we get Sancho to add to Martial, Mason and Rashford that would give us 4 for 6 spots as you need 2 for each of the front 3 roles, are James and Chong going to prove good enough? I'd be shocked if both do, so i think we should be monitoring player's like Marcus Thuram, Koman and Adama Traore, I also like Richarlison but I don't see Everton selling any time soon.

If we don't get Reguilon because of the buyback issue I have no problem with that but Telles seems a quality low priced option.

Can Mengi or Axel be the CB to partner Maguire so we don't need to buy Upamecano or Konate etc.....? I'd love to see it but have my doubts.

prateik

Why do we feel we need a LB?

Williams was pretty promising till the last few games.. A young kid .. no football or training for a few months.. comes back and gets a bad cut on the face.. is rushed back and has 3-4 shaky games.. hardly enough to write him off..

If there is a great deal, sure.. Should always look to upgrade.. but wasnt on the list before the transfer window.. dont care.

Just please sign someone for the right wing...After that.. either a striker or a starting CB.. Either will do.. neither will do (for now)

RedStarUnited

Why do we feel we need a LB?

Williams was pretty promising till the last few games.. A young kid .. no football or training for a few months.. comes back and gets a bad cut on the face.. is rushed back and has 3-4 shaky games.. hardly enough to write him off..

If there is a great deal, sure.. Should always look to upgrade.. but wasnt on the list before the transfer window.. dont care.

Just please sign someone for the right wing...After that.. either a striker or a starting CB.. Either will do.. neither will do (for now)
Much like your LB comment, why a striker?

Martial assuming starts. Greenwood and Ighalo backups?

prateik

Much like your LB comment, why a striker?

Martial assuming starts. Greenwood and Ighalo backups?
Ighalo is leaving midway through the season. Greenwood hasnt played up top much.. Not as a 9. It can wait.

Strikers have more variety.. we can also start with 2 up top. Having different kinds is normal..
Its not the same with LBs. If we have Shaw fit, he starts..

croadyman

VdB is a good buy but Ole needs at least another 4 to 5 players to have a squad that can compete for the PL. Before anyone jumps out on their soapbox I'm not saying this window, but over the next 3; Sancho, a CM, Forward, LB and CB.

Sancho should be done this summer, end of story.

I'd love Thiago this summer but I don't see it happening, so I hope to see us looking at Camavinga or Bruno Guimeras next summer.

If we we get Sancho to add to Martial, Mason and Rashford that would give us 4 for 6 spots as you need 2 for each of the front 3 roles, are James and Chong going to prove good enough? I'd be shocked if both do, so i think we should be monitoring player's like Marcus Thuram, Koman and Adama Traore, I also like Richarlison but I don't see Everton selling any time soon.

If we don't get Reguilon because of the buyback issue I have no problem with that but Telles seems a quality low priced option.

Can Mengi or Axel be the CB to partner Maguire so we don't need to buy Upamecano or Konate etc.....? I'd love to see it but have my doubts.
Presume you mean that get Sancho to go with VDB and then put the shutters down until next summer or did you mean utilising the January window as well because was a little confused. Yeah would be amazing to see Teden or Axel being Maguire's long term CB partner but worry they won't be able to stay fit enough.

-Supreme-

We desperately need someone to rotate with Shaw, even AWB struggled with so many games after the restart.

If we don’t get Sancho which is looking likely we should just bring someone in for a loan as a last resort, but if we failed on this then there should be a big question asked why we sent Chong out for the season.

Tel074

Good thing there is no fans at football anymore. This window is our worst post Moyes. Why we always stop trying after we make top 4. Infuriating. Feel for Ole
Because our owners are happy with top 4 ? Because they always do half a job at building us a team that compete . It's soul destroying being a United fan under these owners

laughtersassassin

Agree. And then Ole will get all the stick.

He needed 3-4 signings to kick on. They've given him one, with a second in the balance.
And let's be honest the one they have given him isn't a starter. No offence but Donny or anything but if we where only going to buy 1 player we would have been better off buying a guaranteed starter in Sancho.

Not looking forward to this season at all now. Will be excuses for day 1.

Just want I'd like to go into the season where the Owners, The manager and the players didn't have an excuse to not perform. This season we had a chance to do that and seem to be throwing it away.

Fosu-Mens

And let's be honest the one they have given him isn't a starter. No offence but Donny or anything but if we where only going to buy 1 player we would have been better off buying a guaranteed starter in Sancho.

Not looking forward to this season at all now. Will be excuses for day 1.

Just want I'd like to go into the season where the Owners, The manager and the players didn't have an excuse to not perform. This season we had a chance to do that and seem to be throwing it away.
Would you take 1 year in the championship if it guaranteed a change in ownership and governance of the club to someone with football performance and success as the main priority?

laughtersassassin

Would you take 1 year in the championship if it guaranteed a change in ownership and governance of the club to someone with football performance and success as the main priority?
Probably would tbh, would be a hard pill to swallow but Juve delt with being relegated don't see why we couldn't come back stronger if we had owners who where interested and hired the right people etc.

Fosu-Mens

Probably would tbh, would be a hard pill to swallow but Juve delt with being relegated don't see why we couldn't come back stronger if we had owners who where interested and hired the right people etc.
Would be interesting to do a poll on this dilemma on the forum.
I feel the same way. No chance the Glazers sell while we are still profitable/being a cash cow. And no chance we are getting back to the top under the current ownership/management.

laughtersassassin

Would be interesting to do a poll on this dilemma on the forum.
I feel the same way. No chance the Glazers sell while we are still profitable/being a cash cow. And no chance we are getting back to the top under the current ownership/management.
It's a real catch 22 but I'd say long term it would benefit us for sure.

Devil may care

Presume you mean that get Sancho to go with VDB and then put the shutters down until next summer or did you mean utilising the January window as well because was a little confused. Yeah would be amazing to see Teden or Axel being Maguire's long term CB partner but worry they won't be able to stay fit enough.
Sancho and I see no reason we can't get Telles this summer as well. If we are to give Axel, Mengi, Chong and James a real chance then CB and forward wouldn't be looked at until next summer after they've had a full season of opportunities, and neither of the midfielders I mentioned would be January buys, the only business I see us doing in January is extending Igalho for a few more months.

croadyman

Sancho and I see no reason we can't get Telles this summer as well. If we are to give Axel, Mengi, Chong and James a real chance then CB and forward wouldn't be looked at until next summer after they've had a full season of opportunities, and neither of the midfielders I mentioned would be January buys, the only business I see us doing in January is extending Igalho for a few more months.
Have we got any interest in Telles though

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I know the popular thought is that United's defence is dodgy, and we need a proper CB partner for Maguire, proper option at LB and a DM.
But when you look at last season's table, United only actually conceded 3 goals more than Liverpool, and they have the best defence in the league.
So maybe defence isn't seen as such a pressing priority.

When you look at goals for column, United got 66 (including a lot of penalties) compared to Liverpool's 85 and City's 102..!!
This is where we are majorly behind, and this is why I believe that United prioritized just two positions this window.
A creative MF and a RW.
MF was Grealish, but by a stroke of luck, Donny was available for half the price, so fair play to the board for that signing.
Which just leaves RW and Sancho, and I don't think we ever considered a credible alternative, it's just got to be Sancho.

A full season of Pogba - Bruno & Donny, with Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford & Martial should massively improve on 66 goals scored, and this is a long term group of players with age on their side.

Next summer, we can concentrate on a Defensive players.