What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Holters

We still need the same positions as before last transfer window: Defensive midfielder (tenacious, high work rate, mobile and tidy passing), right winger (a proper, creative winger, but also one that knows the role and how to track back) and central defender (pacey, left footed and good on the ball).

Probably also a decent backup/attacking option for right back in the mold of Telles/Shaw.

In general, we need to improve our ball retention skills for the team as a whole. Bruno is amazing, one of the best in the world, and you can afford having a player like him that loses possession as long as he keeps his risky/creative pasing in the oppositions half (the nutmeg attempt against Leicester was ridiculous) , but it is too much when you have e.g. Fred in the same midfield who has an awful first touch and his passing is all over the place. We need to control games better - especially when we are ahead to avoid uncessary goals like against Leicester.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Between January and the summer I think we need to forget attack, I know Grealish is exciting and lots of United fans have trouser meat for Haaland but our board need it kept simple for them, get a CB in January and then buy two midfielders to replace Pogba and Matic in the summer, we aren't struggling to score goals.........If we could get some RB competition as well that would be nice.

CB - Alaba/Upamecano/Pau Torres
MF - Bruno Guimares/Camavinga/Valverde/Bentancur/Konrad Laimer/Zakaria*

*depends on how he is the rest of this season after his injury lay-off.

Think he was caught gambling on the football results and thats a big no for players.
So stupid and greedy when you know the kind of money these guys make a week.

croadyman

Between January and the summer I think we need to forget attack, I know Grealish is exciting and lots of United fans have trouser meat for Haaland but our board need it kept simple for them, get a CB in January and then buy two midfielders to replace Pogba and Matic in the summer, we aren't struggling to score goals.........If we could get some RB competition as well that would be nice.

CB - Alaba/Upamecano/Pau Torres
MF - Bruno Guimares/Camavinga/Valverde/Bentancur/Konrad Laimer/Zakaria*

*depends on how he is the rest of this season after his injury lay-off.

So stupid and greedy when you know the kind of money these guys make a week.
I think you can scratch Alaba & Upamecano off the CB options after reading Whitwell's article in The Athletic the other day, however do feel that the likes of Pau Torres/Milenkovic/Badiashile could be signed. In regards to a MF I would expect this signing to be made in the summer and most of the above options are gettable apart from Camavinga.

Who would you like to see us bring in at RB that could provide some real competition for Wan Bissaka, personally feel that Lamptey would be a shrewd one and can't see Brighton asking silly money for him either but maybe we are looking at someone more experienced instead hence the Trippier links until he got suspended.

Devil may care

I think you can scratch Alaba & Upamecano off the CB options after reading Whitwell's article in The Athletic the other day, however do feel that the likes of Pau Torres/Milenkovic/Badiashile could be signed. In regards to a MF I would expect this signing to be made in the summer and most of the above options are gettable apart from Camavinga.

Who would you like to see us bring in at RB that could provide some real competition for Wan Bissaka, personally feel that Lamptey would be a shrewd one and can't see Brighton asking silly money for him either but maybe we are looking at someone more experienced instead hence the Trippier links until he got suspended.
That would be typical of us, is that because El Fridgerinho wants to play LCB despite being right footed so he can keep trying those long crossfield passes that work every once in a blue moon? Badiashile is too inexperienced imo, Maguire needs someone next him who can handle their own business and don't require leading. My only issue with other 2 is we'd have 2 giant CB's, in the modern game I think a smaller more nimble partner for the big CB is a better fit, but if needs must.

Lamptey would be my pick as he offers very different strengths to AWB, outside of that if we are looking at older RB's I'm honestly not sure who is kicking about that wouldn't be than just a body to add to the squad, as opposed to competition for AWB.

RedUnited76

We need:
- CB: Upamecano/Torres
- CDM: Ndidi/Camavinga + Caicedo
- RB (rotation): Aarons/Trippier
- RW: Sancho

Theo88

Has anyone watched Saint Maximin enough to have an opinion on him for the RW spot? I've watched him play against us and i saw some unique skills but could have been just a weird game.

Same question for Renato Sanchez for the cdm spot. There are rumours about Renato and Wolves / Liverpool / Man Utd. Obviously he was meant to be the next best thing, never really panned out but he's evidently having a good year.

With RW and CDM covered, we most probably need a CB and a RB to close the year. No cover there at all. 4 players. Looking good

croadyman

Has anyone watched Saint Maximin enough to have an opinion on him for the RW spot? I've watched him play against us and i saw some unique skills but could have been just a weird game.

Same question for Renato Sanchez for the cdm spot. There are rumours about Renato and Wolves / Liverpool / Man Utd. Obviously he was meant to be the next best thing, never really panned out but he's evidently having a good year.

With RW and CDM covered, we most probably need a CB and a RB to close the year. No cover there at all. 4 players. Looking good
Think there was genuine interest in Trippier until he got that suspension for that betting thing, in regards to a CB I honestly can't tell if we are just looking to bring in specifically a LCB next month or happy to wait for one who can play either side in the summer instead.

Thought someone said on here a little while back that Saint Maximin generally plays off the LW for Newcastle but could be wrong on that. I still think we maybe see that Caciedo (if he signs) as someone who could play in a deeper role or push further forward if that is required so don't see a CDM until the summer.

redNATION

CB, RB, LB, two CMs, RW and a striker. That’s if we really want to be honest about being the best team in the world.

CB- doesn’t seem to be outstanding options, but Upamecano or konate seem reasonable choices.

RB- again can’t see anyone obvious, but anyone remotely capable of attacking would be an improvement on AWB. Max Aarons possibly, or maybe our scouts have some options in France or Netherlands.

LB- don’t think shaw or telles are top level. Difficult to see who’s out there but our scouts should be looking.

CMs- A CDM like Rice or Zakaria, along with a playmaker/box to box like Camavinga or Neves.

RW- Sancho the obvious one, and sounds like we’re still interested.

CF- Haaland, but dealing with Dortmund and Riaola again. Not much other clear cut options out there, unless we’re willing to deal with Everton for Calvert Lewin.

RedIan

CB, RB, LB, two CMs, RW and a striker. That’s if we really want to be honest about being the best team in the world.

CB- doesn’t seem to be outstanding options, but Upamecano or konate seem reasonable choices.

RB- again can’t see anyone obvious, but anyone remotely capable of attacking would be an improvement on AWB. Max Aarons possibly, or maybe our scouts have some options in France or Netherlands.

LB- don’t think shaw or telles are top level. Difficult to see who’s out there but our scouts should be looking.

CMs- A CDM like Rice or Zakaria, along with a playmaker/box to box like Camavinga or Neves.

RW- Sancho the obvious one, and sounds like we’re still interested.

CF- Haaland, but dealing with Dortmund and Riaola again. Not much other clear cut options out there, unless we’re willing to deal with Everton for Calvert Lewin.
basically anew team then.

kidbob

For me our biggest hole right now is a Carrick type player but I'm unsure of anyone who can fulfil that role right now so for me I honestly think we should go back for Sancho and do it in this window. Out of form, obviously pissed he didn't get the move in the summer so lets go back with a big bid and give the whole team a lift mid season and another attacking dimension. This, for me, is the behaviour of a club with ambition. He wants to come here so lets get him.

If we have real ambition as a club then lets test their resolve again and make their life a misery.

croadyman

For me our biggest hole right now is a Carrick type player but I'm unsure of anyone who can fulfil that role right now so for me I honestly think we should go back for Sancho and do it in this window. Out of form, obviously pissed he didn't get the move in the summer so lets go back with a big bid and give the whole team a lift mid season and another attacking dimension. This, for me, is the behaviour of a club with ambition. He wants to come here so lets get him.

If we have real ambition as a club then lets test their resolve again and make their life a misery.
This Caciedo looks a player capable of picking a pass but whether anything comes of that remains to be seen, do you not think we could play Rashford on the right (where he scored goal tonight) and look to bring in Grealish this summer to play on the left

kidbob

This Caciedo looks a player capable of picking a pass but whether anything comes of that remains to be seen, do you not think we could play Rashford on the right (where he scored goal tonight) and look to bring in Grealish this summer to play on the left
I like the thought of that absolutely. I've been Grealish's biggest fan since he was playing for the Irish underage. I was more speaking in terms of January and for me for the board to really back Ole and show ambition then they need to splurge tight now. And in doing that then Sancho is the most obvious top class player to get. Lets show the team and the rest of the League that we are ready to go win the title. I don't think he will so soon but hopefully Caciedo can be another instant asset along with Diallo, but I think they are future signings. So I mean sign Caciedo but lets make that big statement, scare other teams signings right now while we are in a position to compete.

spiriticon

Still right winger for me. We need to take more attacking responsibility off AWB.

It doesn't have to be Sancho but it needs to be someone who has lots of experience in that position. Shoehorning Greenwood there isn't working this season and James is not technically good enough.

Gerald G

DM - Bennacer, Zakaria
CB - Kounde, Upamecano
RW - Sancho (also depends on how Diallo plays)
RB - Aarons? Lamptey? Or maybe someone more experienced

croadyman

I like the thought of that absolutely. I've been Grealish's biggest fan since he was playing for the Irish underage. I was more speaking in terms of January and for me for the board to really back Ole and show ambition then they need to splurge tight now. And in doing that then Sancho is the most obvious top class player to get. Lets show the team and the rest of the League that we are ready to go win the title. I don't think he will so soon but hopefully Caciedo can be another instant asset along with Diallo, but I think they are future signings. So I mean sign Caciedo but lets make that big statement, scare other teams signings right now while we are in a position to compete.
I was going to say could a top class CB provide that statement but again you don't get the impression that Utd have any plans on signing a starter RW, CB or CDM in this window, seems they are happy to play the waiting game until the summer which feels like a huge mistake to me.

croadyman

DM - Bennacer, Zakaria
CB - Kounde, Upamecano
RW - Sancho (also depends on how Diallo plays)
RB - Aarons? Lamptey? Or maybe someone more experienced
Think all of those apart from Upamecano are possible signings over the next two windows

King Andow

---------------------------------------De Gea
Trippier/Lamptey--Koundé-Torres--Telles
---------------------------------------CDM (Caicedo?)
------------------------McT/Fred-------Aouar
-------------------------------------Bruno
-------------Cavani/Greenwood--Martial/Rashford

- I'd like someone proven, gritty and mobile like Konrad Laimer for the CDM role, but he's been injured. Maybe a cheeky big for Valverde but can't see Madrid selling him with their old midfield. Zakaria I don't know very well.
- I'd sign Grealish too and drop one defensive minded midfielder for easier games. Would be good to bench Rashford too, maybe he would be more consistent and effective with actual competition on the left.

Out:
- ASAP: Grant, Romero, TFM, Jones, Rojo, Pereira (permanently), Pogba, Lingard, James (promote Elanga) and Ighalo
- After signings: Shaw, AWB, 2 of Maguire/Lindelöf/Bailly, Matic and Mata

Last edited:

croadyman

---------------------------------------De Gea
Trippier/Lamptey--Koundé-Torres--Telles
---------------------------------------CDM (Caicedo?)
------------------------McT/Fred-------Aouar
-------------------------------------Bruno
--------------Greenwood/Cavani--Rashford

Out:
- ASAP: Grant, Romero, TFM, Jones, Rojo, Pereira (permanently), Pogba, Lingard, James (promote Elanga) and Ighalo
- After signings: Shaw, AWB, 2 of Maguire/Lindelöf/Bailly, Matic and Mata
Personally think it's unlikely we are going to change both CB's but could definitely see us bringing in a RB to challenge Wan Bissaka for his place, still expecting us to replace Pogba with someone like either Sancho or Grealish in the summer and get the impression they would choose Jadon as he's more marketable than Jack.

prateik

I'll take an attacking RB over a CB..

I want a RW .. but that will not happen.. Diallo and Facundo better be good, because that's all we are getting.

croadyman

I'll take an attacking RB over a CB..

I want a RW .. but that will not happen.. Diallo and Facundo better be good, because that's all we are getting.
Think we might have brought in Trippier as an attacking option but then he blotted his copybook and expect us to go with what we have got, in which case we should be looking to give Laird a chance in that position as Williams seems to be off on loan in January.

redNATION

basically anew team then.
That’s the price of a shocking transfer strategy, and overpaying for guys like Maguire and AWB. I noted in my post that it assumes we want get back to being the very best - regularly competing for the title, winning it, and also the champions league.

We haven’t done anything in the champions league for a decade and got dumped in the group stages again suggesting that the current crop won’t cut it. Taking the emotion out of it, it’s clear that many in the squad either don’t have the quality or top level mentality.

lex talionis

It begins with a proper DM. We’ve got plenty of midfielders but who can we trust to shield the back four, consistently?

Icemav

That’s the price of a shocking transfer strategy, and overpaying for guys like Maguire and AWB. I noted in my post that it assumes we want get back to being the very best - regularly competing for the title, winning it, and also the champions league.

We haven’t done anything in the champions league for a decade and got dumped in the group stages again suggesting that the current crop won’t cut it. Taking the emotion out of it, it’s clear that many in the squad either don’t have the quality or top level mentality.
Its also clear with the likes of Bruno you only need one of two top players to come in that change teams fundamentally. We are close and scatter gun signing policy might take us further away than closer. I am pretty happy with the recruitment recently. Look forward to us sogning the next gem. Hopefully is the midfield. And hopefully its the chap from Equador.

King Andow

Personally think it's unlikely we are going to change both CB's but could definitely see us bringing in a RB to challenge Wan Bissaka for his place, still expecting us to replace Pogba with someone like either Sancho or Grealish in the summer and get the impression they would choose Jadon as he's more marketable than Jack.
I know, but I can't see Utd winning anything big with Lindelöf and Maguire starting, especially both together.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We need someone like Goretzka. A powerhouse midfielder who can just do it all. So, who's the closest one to Goretzka?

E-mal

Replace Pogba with Grealish
Replace Lingard, Mata and Dan James with Sancho
Replace Matic with Rice.
3 summer signings for the squad and we are definitely a different proposition.

croadyman

Replace Matic with Rice.
Can only see us signing one of the top two and personally think Jadon is more likely, would be very surprised if we went back for Jack again despite him being a top drawer buy in my opinion. I would still fancy going for Zakaria in the summer to replace Matic if he can prove himself until the end of the season.

NoPace

Ighalo out, don't buy anyone but in 2021 sell Martial and spend basically all the summer money on a star like Haaland

Pogba and Mata out, a winger/AM in

Matic out, new DM in

Jones and Rojo out, LCB in

RB in, Williams or Dalot sold/loaned, the other is the 5th fullback

----------------------------------Cavani(Martial)-----------------------------------
Rashford(James)-----Bruno(AM/W)-----------Greenwood(Diallo)
-----------------Fred(VanDeBeek)----------DM(McTominay)------------
Shaw(Telles)-----LCB(Lindelof)-Maguire(Bailly)----------AWB(RightBack)
--------------------------------De Gea(Henderson)----------------------------

and Pellistri (attack), Garner (midfield), Williams/Dalot (fullback), Tuanzebe (center back) and a 3rd keeper (Lee Grant or a similar type) can mop up the rest of the minutes, if Pellistri goes on loan you can give the spot minutes to whoever deserves it from the youth team.

I know we all want Grealish, but the balance does look better if the AM/W we buy is very comfortable playing on the right. I'd be fine with someone cheap who fits that bill like Pereira from West Brom with us investing the big big money on the best DM and LCB available.

I'd have it right now like this:
1 - DM
2 - LCB
3 - RB/RW
4 - Pogba replacement (Greenwood or Diallo might pop as a RW as soon as next season)

NoPace

We need someone like Goretzka. A powerhouse midfielder who can just do it all. So, who's the closest one to Goretzka?
Think we need a Kimmich type more:

Kimmich-McTominay (nice balance, McTominay can be the Goretzka type box to box figure and tackle aggressively)
Fred-Kimmich (Fred free to harass and chase, light on goals but Kimmich could be a bit adventurous with this pairing and Bruno would be at his freest)
Kimmich-Van De Beek (ball moves too quick for some teams to handle)

But it's tough to think of who that sitting passer who doesn't need the Pirlo type 2 man accomodation, unless Barca are such a mess we can get De Jong, or someone like Fabian Ruiz (and he and VDB can't be paired together against proper opposition I don't think unless we have 3 CBs behind them) or Phillips or Neuhaus can be signed and integrates well.

lex talionis

A naive way to think about this perhaps, but what we really need is for our current players to improve their game.

I doubt anyone here would deny that Martial and Rashford are playing anywhere near their known abilities.
Bailly forces the question to be asked whether we really need to spend a massive sum on a CB.

But this thread asks essentially what hole in the squad needs to be filled most urgently. I’d answer that with Jack Grealish because he’s that good and could easily make it work, but we really do need a an-prime DM.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Replace Matic with Rice.
Where are you getting £250m+ from to spend in one window?

Kyonn

Can't believe so many people think Sancho is still a possibility. That ship has sailed. We're going with Diallo/Pellestri. No way we even bid on Sancho now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Think we need a Kimmich type more:

Kimmich-McTominay (nice balance, McTominay can be the Goretzka type box to box figure and tackle aggressively)
Fred-Kimmich (Fred free to harass and chase, light on goals but Kimmich could be a bit adventurous with this pairing and Bruno would be at his freest)
Kimmich-Van De Beek (ball moves too quick for some teams to handle)

But it's tough to think of who that sitting passer who doesn't need the Pirlo type 2 man accomodation, unless Barca are such a mess we can get De Jong, or someone like Fabian Ruiz (and he and VDB can't be paired together against proper opposition I don't think unless we have 3 CBs behind them) or Phillips or Neuhaus can be signed and integrates well.
Bayern had Goretzka and Thiago in midfield CL Final. Goretzka is really good defensively.

King Andow

Konrad Laimer from Leipzig comes to mind. Would love him at Utd. He's currently injured, though.

croadyman

Think the only way we go for a CB in January is if Lindelof's back problem is a recurrent problem, however after hearing from Vickery last night feel confident we will get this Caicedo deal done before the end of window. Looking at the summer I think Pogba will leave and still hoping his replacement will be Grealish but only happens if he's willing to push for it because Villa don't need the money. There is a strong possibility of signing someone to give AWB some competition at RB so expect us to monitor targets for this position until end of the season. The third signing could be a proper CDM or CB but right now I wouldn't expect us to address both positions in the summer unless Pogba stays of course.

Craig Ward

Can't believe so many people think Sancho is still a possibility. That ship has sailed. We're going with Diallo/Pellestri. No way we even bid on Sancho now.
Agree.

We tried and failed for Sancho and have moved on.

Diallo and Pellistri we're done instead of Sancho.

We also have Greenwood who has shown decent form there, and most notably Rashford has looked a threat from the right.

I think we're more likely to ship Martial to LW/bench and use Diallo/Greenwood/Rashford for RW and sign a CF.

Martial cannot be our no1 CF long term - he's a great player but not the answer long term.

Immediately - we need a DM and a CB. Urgently.

We're getting neither in January though - not the immediately improve us type anyway.

A CB and DM is a must in the summer but I'd still go for Grealish hard in the summer (Pogba replacement) and possibly Calvert-Lewin for the CF (His hold up/link up play and aerial presence from crosses would be awesome and make us more of a threat along the front three)