What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

croadyman

I am certain that the three positions we need to address most is CDM, RW & CB but still unsure of the order

Sea-Cow

I am certain that the three positions we need to address most is CDM, RW & CB but still unsure of the order
Did you accidentally leave Striker out of your list? I go back and forth on this but man the last few weeks have me crying out for a proper number 9. Someone who can actually lead the line and be discussed in the same breath as a Harry Kane or a Lewa.

Right now we have an old man who was released by his last club, a teenager who looks like a child when up against decent CBs, and a joke who would rather dive than try to actually score goals.

croadyman

Did you accidentally leave Striker out of your list? I go back and forth on this but man the last few weeks have me crying out for a proper number 9. Someone who can actually lead the line and be discussed in the same breath as a Harry Kane or a Lewa.

Right now we have an old man who was released by his last club, a teenager who looks like a child when up against decent CBs, and a joke who would rather dive than try to actually score goals.
I only left it out because my gut feeling is that Ole has absolutely no intention whatsoever of signing a striker until Haaland's release clause becomes active in summer 2022, yes I will agree that no way is Cavani a long term solution to the problem but still looks sharp when he plays and showed that killer instinct against Saints & Everton when it was most needed.

Sea-Cow

I only left it out because my gut feeling is that Ole has absolutely no intention whatsoever of signing a striker until Haaland's release clause becomes active in summer 2022, yes I will agree that no way is Cavani a long term solution to the problem but still looks sharp when he plays and showed that killer instinct against Saints & Everton when it was most needed.
Yeah you might be right, and if you are, it is absolutely infuriating! Why would we even bother having scouts? And you are also correct in that we desperately need to upgrade CDM, RW & CB! Its mind-boggling that we have spent such an incredible amount recently and the first 11 is still so weak and uninspiring, bar the Portuguese Magnifico.

croadyman

Yeah you might be right, and if you are, it is absolutely infuriating! Why would we even bother having scouts? And you are also correct in that we desperately need to upgrade CDM, RW & CB! Its mind-boggling that we have spent such an incredible amount recently and the first 11 is still so weak and uninspiring, bar the Portuguese Magnifico.
Diallo could end up being a revelation on the RW and just maybe Caicedo could offer us something in a CDM role too, however that is far too many if's and maybe's for my liking and should be looking to bring in players capable of starting there

The Irish Connection

A top cf who doesn’t waste the ball in good areas. As much as I hate raiola, maybe we can cut a deal, with pogba involved, for Haaland. He would be lethal in front of Fernandes. But even then, I think there would still be one or two doubts about his all round game.
Top defensive midfielder of course. Let’s see how Diallo does for right wing.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
A CDM is the top priority, I would say.

I really want to see a formation where Bruno and Donny can play together - but I think they would need a disciplined, composed holding player behind them.

Right winger first and foremost, irrespective of Diallo, unless he comes straight into the team next week and plays like a world-beater. Which he won't do.

Then the rest depends on Pogba and the identity of the player that replaces him. If it's Grealish, I see him playing on the left and Rashford moving up front (think he'll be ready to do it by the end of this season). And then I'm fine with Fred/McTominay/Matic/Van de Beek (he should be trusted there eventually) in the midfield two behind all that firepower.

I really want to see a formation where Bruno and Donny can play together - but I think they would need a disciplined, composed holding player behind them.
If it's not Grealish, or even if Pogba sticks around, then this. Club has three top-quality goal threats from midfield, no need to shackle one of them in a 4-2-3-1, especially when the full backs are hardly Marcelo/Alves. Bring in someone who can sit in a 4-3-3 without a babysitter next to him, and we'll see improvements at both ends of the pitch.

Center back can wait, Lindelof and Maguire have both been decent after a shite start to the season. And if Bailly stays intact, that's a welcome bonus.

Reactions: Sultan

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Right winger first and foremost, irrespective of Diallo, unless he comes straight into the team next week and plays like a world-beater. Which he won't do.

Then the rest depends on Pogba and the identity of the player that replaces him. If it's Grealish, I see him playing on the left and Rashford moving up front (think he'll be ready to do it by the end of this season). And then I'm fine with Fred/McTominay/Matic/Van de Beek (he should be trusted there eventually) in the midfield two behind all that firepower.

If it's not Grealish, or even if Pogba sticks around, then this. Club has three top-quality goal threats from midfield, no need to shackle one of them in a 4-2-3-1, especially when the full backs are hardly Marcelo/Alves. Bring in someone who can sit in a 4-3-3 without a babysitter next to him, and we'll see improvements at both ends of the pitch.

Center back can wait, Lindelof and Maguire have both been decent after a shite start to the season. And if Bailly stays intact, that's a welcome bonus.
Yeah I agree the CB is not a priority for me. We're well stocked in that department - even Tuanzebe can't get a look in at the moment.

VivaRonaldo85

ST (focal point of attack and chief goal scorer)
CB (Commander, leader with pace and aggression)
CDM (Matic replacement)
RF (provide balance much needed for years assuming the new teenagers aren’t going to be the next CR7)
RB (Genuine competition for AWB)

Can see Lingard, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Romero, Jones, Ighalo, Matic & Pogba all leaving in the next two windows to help clear the decks.

Matt851

I was always keen on using a 433 and it seems to suit most of our midfielders barring bruno, which us potentially a big issue

Jacob

CB - stop the leakage and win easy points
CDM - stabilise core, add predictability to best XI and unlock attackers freedom and creativity
RW

Macedonian Red

If I have wildcard then RW, ST, DMF, CMF, CB and RB.

1. We dont have natural RW.
2. Martial and Cavani are good but we need "20+ goals" striker in league.
3. Matic is our only dmf and his legs are gone.
4. With Pogba leaving we will need his replacement, someone who can dictate a tempo.
5. No need to explain.
6. Need cover for AWB, someone decent in attack.

justsomebloke

You left out one very important bit: Someone who can effectively deputise for Bruno as no 10 without the whole team dropping three notches in quality. Right now, we're toast if Bruno goes down injured.

Anyone good enough to deputise for Bruno is also too good to only deputise for Bruno, so it should be someone with versatility - ideally someone who could simultaneously play effectively at least on the right. In other words, Jack Grealish. :)

Also, up front I think there is a pressing need to add better squad players than the likes of Lingard, Mata and James. Someone who can play irregularly without weakening the team much.

The right kind of DM is tempting, but given the general depth and quality of our midfield, I suspect that'll come further down the road, or alternatively when exactly the right player becomes available.

In any case, we can't go far wrong investing in a top class CB.

croadyman

You left out one very important bit: Someone who can effectively deputise for Bruno as no 10 without the whole team dropping three notches in quality. Right now, we're toast if Bruno goes down injured.

Anyone good enough to deputise for Bruno is also too good to only deputise for Bruno, so it should be someone with versatility - ideally someone who could simultaneously play effectively at least on the right. In other words, Jack Grealish. :)

Also, up front I think there is a pressing need to add better squad players than the likes of Lingard, Mata and James. Someone who can play irregularly without weakening the team much.

The right kind of DM is tempting, but given the general depth and quality of our midfield, I suspect that'll come further down the road, or alternatively when exactly the right player becomes available.

In any case, we can't go far wrong investing in a top class CB.
I have only left off a Bruno replacement as still not 100 percent sure that Pogba will leave this summer and therefore we will probably end up giving Donny a proper chance next season, however I would prefer that Paul did indeed get sold and we got Grealish in with some of the money recouped

I was always keen on using a 433 and it seems to suit most of our midfielders barring bruno, which us potentially a big issue
I'm sure he'll adapt to it, he's a top quality player who's already a hard worker off the ball. He might even benefit from having another midfielder pressing high alongside him and running beyond him into the box (could see Van de Beek getting loads of goals this way).

He might need to be less direct with his passing, which again shouldn't really be an issue because his current approach to go for the high-risk ball every time is a tactical plan.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some are just looking from the wrong angle. It's not about which position is more important, but which player in those positions that is available, and can give immediate impact.

Those two MotM performance by Bailly changed my perspective on this "priority position" thing. How adding an excellent player at any position can elevate the whole team. I should have known better, whatnot by having Bruno.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We need to sell Jones, Lingard and Perreira and get in a mctom replacement. That would be a great January window.

justsomebloke

I have only left off a Bruno replacement as still not 100 percent sure that Pogba will leave this summer and therefore we will probably end up giving Donny a proper chance next season, however I would prefer that Paul did indeed get sold and we got Grealish in with some of the money recouped
Well, but there's not much sign so far that Donny is a viable stand-in as no 10. We were awful last we tried, in the first half against West Ham. And he doesn't seem the right type to me.

UpWithRivers

I think we have a good squad now, cover in most positions and quality in all positions. What we need now is players that will take us up levels. The Haalands, Grealish type players that will come in and not just be very good but be that extra special player. The more of these players the better. It might work that the Diallos of the world will be that player but even if they do it will be a few years.

Scholsey2004

I think what we really need is for Diallo and Greenwood to mature quickly. We need Greenwood in particular to start getting to grips with the striker role because we need a striker who can be relied on to score.

Olecurls99

CB
CM
RW
ST

Basically, what we've needed for 3 transfer windows now.
I just think we play the wrong centre backs. Bailly and Tuanzebe would be a better foil for Maguire and would solve our need for a centre back.
Matic is our only ball playing deep midfielder. McFred are up and down merchants but can't play the sitting role well, so we definitely need someone there.
After that I just think we need Grealish. Everything will improve if he comes. We'll hold the ball better, we'll create far more easily and well be a much better team.

sp_107

This must be the top priority than any other position

croadyman

I just think we play the wrong centre backs. Bailly and Tuanzebe would be a better foil for Maguire and would solve our need for a centre back.
Matic is our only ball playing deep midfielder. McFred are up and down merchants but can't play the sitting role well, so we definitely need someone there.
After that I just think we need Grealish. Everything will improve if he comes. We'll hold the ball better, we'll create far more easily and well be a much better team.
Totally agree with you but still not convinced that Ole is going to give Axel a proper chance when Bailly needs resting, we should be looking to play either Lindelof/Maguire alongside one of Eric/Tuanzebe to get the right balance. We desperately need to sign another ball playing DM in the next window but there has been absolutely no concrete links to any whatsoever which I find worrying to say the least. I presume you are suggesting signing Grealish on the condition that we sell Pogba in the summer and he comes is as the replacement.

Theo88

After much consideration I have come to the conclusion that we need Roy Keane, Dwight York or RVV (leaning towards RVV) and Peak Nani

Tallis

Sorry for playing fantasy football but here goes.

CB - Milenkovic. Good in the air, fast and great in 1 v 1. Contract is up in 2022 I believe, so actionable. €35-40M

CM 1 - Bentancur. Swap for Pogba. Good range of passing, has enough skill to beat the press and retain possession as the physicality to succeed in premier league. Swap deal.

CM2 - Zakaria or Ndidi. Need to see how Zakaria continues his recovery. €50-60M

I would move Matic on so our first choice MF is Bentancur, Zakaria with Fred and McTominay as backups.

RW - Antony at Ajax or Sancho if reasonable price. €60M - Antony / €100M Sancho.

For the striker role, we should start playing Greenwood as “Nine” gradually so he can be ready in 12-18 months. Then I have hopes that Hugill can develop into a first team player for us and be a backup / alternate to Mason.

We can sell Pogba, Matic (€5M), Bailly (€10M), Dalot (€15M), Lingard (€7M), Andreas (€10M), James (€20M) and Martial (€50M) (once Mason is developed) to balance the books.

OrcaFat

I will be surprised if we sign any true improvements on the first 11 this window. Pleasantly surprised, not to say fully stoked. Just one bump up in quality in the four key areas of CB DM RW and CF will help a lot.

Lately I’ve found calls for a CF very persuasive but I’ll be shocked if anyone of real quality is available to us. Cavani might come good anyway.

Don’t think we’ll get anyone significant.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think having a centre forward who is a bit more clinical seems to be the biggest need right now. But how many really good strikers are there in world football right now?
So hoping Greenwood can come through maybe our best bet.

croadyman

Zakaria
Upamecano
Haaland

Will do for now
The top and bottom player could happen in the next couple of summers but sounds to me like the middle player we were interested in but have been put off him by the scouting reports

jesperjaap

What se still need priority wise for me is outgoings, that has changed very little from last season. Several centre backs, a couple of full backs, a couple of youngsters who arent good enough. Then you can add the likes of Mata, Pereira (only on loan rememeber and it isnt going well), Lingard, an old Matic and of course the divisional one that for me should be moved on Pogba. That is still a lot of players shouldnt still be here to move on....pretty much double figures, then we can move forward properly.

As for what we need incoming, currently it is hard to say I feel. In the window just passed I would have said:

GK: DeGeas form has been woeful consistency wise for a couple of years....but he has started this season well and with Henderson in the wings as a deputy I dont see a need there now
CB: We have when you include Mengi 5 potential centre backs. Tuanzabe still isnt breakign through, I dont know why after the excellent PSG performance he isnt gettign more opportunities? Bailly has been very good, its the age old can he stay fit and consistent argument
DM: Matic not getting a look in Fred and McTominay seems to be the preferred option. Personally I think there attributes and weaknesses are too similar and it also takes away somethign from us in an attackign sense with this starting line up for this to be our starting option longer term. For me though they have both done well, its an either or and neither are certain starters and though I liek both, they are both a bit over hyped and for me at least more very good squad players like a Darren Fletcher than first names on the team sheet.
CM: When we arent playing the Fred/MCtominay combination you would say we probably need a new CM, especially as Pogba is possibly leaving and playing more from the left anyway.....but we already have one who isnt playing much in Van DeBeek, so do we need a new one?
AM: The amount of running he does, still concerned there is no real able player to come in and rest Fernandes who if he doesnt play, neither really do we
LW: Rashford of course is the starter, I still am not sure we can trust him consistently week in and week out over a season and am not at all convinced by James as the deputy. There are other options Martial moved over, Mata, Greenwood moved over or youngsters.....none seem that great and none are COMPETITION which he needs
RW: Well we have seen Rashford play there a ot recently with Pogba on the left, so of course there still isnt the option there apart from Greenwood......but who is to say Diallo doesnt come in and do well straight away, or even Pellestri step up?
CF: Always been a big fan of Cavani who has shown his qualities already at times, but he isnt gettign any younger, is Greenwood ready to be starting as Martial despite his abilities is just still not doing it consistently....he is actually another player I wouldnt be adversed to being seen move on as its been years now and we are still havign the conversations of is he good enough to be our number 9 consistently.

So even if/when we move on a lot of the players we should, still a lot of ifs and buts until the end of the season as to what we really need to be monitored.

CB: I do definately still think we need another centre back addition in the summer, the obvious choice is Upamecano with his release fee. With all the competition I expect, whether we can get him or not is another thing altogether..

CM: I also think if we manage the midfield clearout, we are short in numbers there. Again there is an obvious choice in Camavinga but again think there will be a lot of competition for him and a pretty high fee. There are a lot of very good central midfielders though, a lot of them n that same league so I would be dissapointed if we do make a central midfield signing and it isnt a quality one

LW/RW/AM/CF - The obvious choice we SHOULD have signed in the summer was Grealish, covers all those positions apart from striker and more importantly COMPETITION for all those positions. General consensus was he wouldnt start and was too expensive, I disagreed and still do, think he would be a regular starter for us. AGain the fee would be sky high. A much cheaper option worth keeping an eye on I feel is Amine Gouiri, was mentioning him three years ago as the next big thing we should be signing but he had a couple of horrendous injuries. He has remained fit and started to play a lot more from the left, so he provides competition and cover for Rashford....but similar to Greenwood, for me he provides competition as a striker as he is a natural finisher of the highest quality. I am also a big fan of Soteldo but he only really provides cover and competition on the left wing, though I do feel he could also offer cover for Fernandes as he does have excellent vision to go with his dribbling abilities. But neither of these players offer genuine competition on the right and we need to see how Pellestri and Diallo progress this season

I really wanted us to sign Sancho in the summer and it has nothing to do with his lack of form so far this season, he is a special player....but fee wise, I am now not so sure he is the right option