What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

abkmufc92

New manager and coaching staff.

In terms of players:

What we need now

Right Winger (We have no threat from this position, Greenwood is not a winger)
Striker (Martial is not good enough for this position, Cavani is only a temporary solution)
Centre Mid (Fred and McTominay shouldn't be starting for us, Matic is getting on and is slow and If Pogba leaves then we will need two centre mids)
Centre Back (Since we are stuck with Maguire, Improving on Lindelof/Bailly shouldn't be difficult)

This can wait
Goalkeeper (De Gea is a problem for us but if we improve on the above positions we can still get away with having him, also Henderson should be given a proper chance before wasting a lot of money on a new keeper)

Last edited:

croadyman

New manager and coaching staff.

In terms of players:

What we need now

Right Winger (We have no threat from this position, Greenwood is not a winger)
Striker (Martial is not good enough for this position, Cavani is only a temporary solution)
Centre Mid (Fred and McTominay shouldn't be first team players, Matic is getting on and is slow and If Pogba leaves then we will need two centre mids)
Centre Back (Since we are stuck with Maguire, Improving on Lindelof/Bailly shouldn't be difficult)

This can wait
Goalkeeper (De Gea is a problem for us but if we improve on the above positions we can still get away with having him, also Henderson should be given a proper chance before wasting a lot of money on a new keeper)
Could also maybe throw in a backup Right Back as well but the rest of it is absolutely bang on the money

Devil may care

While I do think we need a new midfielder, I think today's game was 100% the opposite. It was the complete lack of anything from Rashford, Greenwood and AWB (Cavani to a lesser extent) that was the problem. It wouldn't have mattered who we had in the deeper midfield positions, the attacking players provided nothing. They didn't move to get into good positions, and when they received the ball in 1v1 positions they either gave it away (Rashford) or turned back and passed it backwards or sideways (Greenwood). We could have had Keane and Scholes in there and not much would have changed, except that Keane probably would have physically assaulted our attackers for that display.
The problem to me is by the time the ball reached our forwards Crystal Palace were in position and it made it so there wasn't any space to operate in, the front 4 were poor i admit but with Mason and Rashford we have seen better from them and they are young enough to get more consistent, Matic is only going backwards at this point while Fred and McTominay are what they are, workhorses. If we acted like the giant club we are we'd sort multiple issues out this summer, but since we have to prioritise I think a revamp of midfield and a new CB will improve the team, adding a top striker but leaving the rest the same will see us remain a broken unit as we just cannot connect to back to the front well enough or consistently enough.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The problem to me is by the time the ball reached our forwards Crystal Palace were in position and it made it so there wasn't any space to operate in, the front 4 were poor i admit but with Mason and Rashford we have seen better from them and they are young enough to get more consistent, Matic is only going backwards at this point while Fred and McTominay are what they are, workhorses. If we acted like the giant club we are we'd sort multiple issues out this summer, but since we have to prioritise I think a revamp of midfield and a new CB will improve the team, adding a top striker but leaving the rest the same will see us remain a broken unit as we just cannot connect to back to the front well enough or consistently enough.
Our forwards regularly aren't in position to receive the ball quickly though. Particularly today. And on days where they aren't performing there's really not much that any deeper midfielder can do to change that unless they can score themselves (which not many do regularly).

Personally I tend to think the thing we most need is one of our attacking players to bring a balance of creativity, playmaking and scoring. We're desperate for a Hazard/Grealish/Sancho style of winger IMO, somebody who helps the midfield control the game (Sancho probably doesn't do that as much as the other two, but he's younger and I'm hoping grows into that if we do sign him) while also being great with the final ball and scoring a bunch himself. Even if you go back over our great teams we had the likes of Beckham, the older version of Giggs, or Rooney who often played that role for us. They are players who provide a good balance, effectively allowing us to almost play with an extra man in the battle for midfield control while also being fully involved with the attacking threat. These days most teams have increased the amount of control that they try to get in midfield, while we've actually gone the opposite way.

All of the players in our front three are pure forwards (or in the case of James a pure winger) who are really only focused on scoring and assisting. They barely provide any help to the midfield in terms of controlling the game and the tempo. Combine that with Bruno being as risky with his passing as he is, and it's no surprise that we often look unbalanced and struggle to get true control of the game. Obviously the midfield itself could do better and I think we need somebody who bridges the gap between Pogba (good on the ball but not off it) and Matic, Fred and McTominay (good defensively but not good enough to be the main ball-player). I'd say that's probably second to the creative winger though.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Deep lying playmaker.

Someone that can dribble and beat a man from a standing start. Not a world beater but someone who is a threat.

Grealish.

dinostar77

There is little to spend this summer, utd included. Ole said it yesterday and they are going to give more chances to academy players. Theres a article about it on The Times behind their paywall (utd losing out on £4mil per match day revenue for games played behind closed doors).

Other than mata and romero leaving on a free and hopefully lingaard making his transfer to west ham permanent. I dont see any sales happening. The wages utd players are on ala phil jones plus the fee woodward wants means we arent gonna shift much out i.e. perriera.

The option on Cavani will be taken up, which will push the CF decision back another season. Whatever money the club has for Ole to spend will go on a CB. I'd love grealish, Sancho, Haaland etc but being realistic it aint gonna happen. The CB partner for Maguire is the most pressing need the club have.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What we need, we wont get.
Probably shell out 60 million on a bunch of kids who haven't seen the light of day in top flight football though.

Devil may care

Our forwards regularly aren't in position to receive the ball quickly though. Particularly today. And on days where they aren't performing there's really not much that any deeper midfielder can do to change that unless they can score themselves (which not many do regularly).

Personally I tend to think the thing we most need is one of our attacking players to bring a balance of creativity, playmaking and scoring. We're desperate for a Hazard/Grealish/Sancho style of winger IMO, somebody who helps the midfield control the game (Sancho probably doesn't do that as much as the other two, but he's younger and I'm hoping grows into that if we do sign him) while also being great with the final ball and scoring a bunch himself. Even if you go back over our great teams we had the likes of Beckham, the older version of Giggs, or Rooney who often played that role for us. They are players who provide a good balance, effectively allowing us to almost play with an extra man in the battle for midfield control while also being fully involved with the attacking threat. These days most teams have increased the amount of control that they try to get in midfield, while we've actually gone the opposite way.

All of the players in our front three are pure forwards (or in the case of James a pure winger) who are really only focused on scoring and assisting. They barely provide any help to the midfield in terms of controlling the game and the tempo. Combine that with Bruno being as risky with his passing as he is, and it's no surprise that we often look unbalanced and struggle to get true control of the game. Obviously the midfield itself could do better and I think we need somebody who bridges the gap between Pogba (good on the ball but not off it) and Matic, Fred and McTominay (good defensively but not good enough to be the main ball-player). I'd say that's probably second to the creative winger though.
The movement issue comes down to the coaching though, I often wonder what we do on the training pitch when I see how off the cuff our attacking play looks, we are very reliant on the individual talent of our best players as opposed to a system we canv slot players in and out of. I think in general we are on the same page, I agree we need a playmaking forward added to the front 4, I just think we need to sort our midfield out more, that engine room dictates the tempo and rhythm of the team and Pogba aside none of them are up to the task.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm a realist. I only need what I can get. United's net transfer outlay in the last 2 seasons has been £80m - £100m. With COVID lockdowns annihilating gate receipts, that may be down to as little as £0 to £60m next summer. So, no money! What to do?

United need to (a) identify clubs who're financially challenged, (b) players we want with contracts ending in summer 2022, (c) players on Bosman's, and (d) United players who aren't core, like: Henderson, Telles, Martial, van de Beek. With all that in mind, United should sign the players on Bosmans who'll be an improvement (Çalhanoğlu?, replacement for Mata). Offer non-core players in part exchange for players we need. Need = starts.
Disagree there. Henderson should be our new no 1. Telles is a great back up to Shaw. I don't think we can write of VDB just yet.

If Pogba leaves, it'll probably involve a swap, as most teams will not be able to afford him directly.
In that case I hope we buy someone like Bazoer for very little and then sell some players (Lingard, James, Martial, De Gea, Chong, Williams) to buy a quality forward or CB, depending on who we get in the Pogba swap. That scenario would include 3 new signings and the vacancies in the squad could be used to promote promising academy players.

With Ole's statement he's either downplaying expectations or not being ambitious enough. I hope it's the former. He's been the most promising manager when it comes to recruitment since SAF.

There needs to be a link between the base of midfield and Bruno. So a midfielder who can consistently take the ball on the half turn and play forwards would be a start. Not quite sure why we like to drop one midfielder into CB either but that’s probably for another thread.
I'm fine with that tactic, it allows the fullbacks to play a little bit higher. We started to get back into the game in the first half when Maguire or Matic dribbled into midfield anyway.

Roboc7

Better management and coaching, there isn’t going to be a lot of money to spend so we aren’t getting likes of Haaland and Sancho. Ole just doesn’t have what it takes to really take the team forward unless he’s give a ridiculous amount of money to send which wouldn’t happen at best of times let alone now.

slyadams

Deep lying playmaker.

Someone that can dribble and beat a man from a standing start. Not a world beater but someone who is a threat.

Grealish.
Yup, games like last night show we need that little bit of extra guile. Couple him with a better CM option and we’ll control games better and move the ball a lot quicker.

dinostar77

Dont forget ole's statement is in lieu of Utds financial results for the quarter being published. He's probably aware of how grim the finances are.

Maybe utd would take a straight swap Varane (27) for Pogba (27).

Cant see either De gea or Henderson leaving as then we have to buy a experienced backup keeper. Seeing how badly Romero has been treated hes off regardless.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Exactly, I've been on this for ages, all the wingers and Haaland's in the world won't help if we don’t fix the quality on the ball from the double pivot. We need 2 CM's and a CB before we worry about any forward additions.
After seeing last night and the fact we can’t buy a goal at the moment, I’m leaning towards we need some different ideas up front and less reliance on Rashford, Bruno etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
After seeing last night and the fact we can’t buy a goal at the moment, I’m leaning towards we need some different ideas up front and less reliance on Rashford, Bruno etc.
Yeah. Been banging on it for a while but look at the wingers Sir Alex used his entire time here. Kanchelskis, Sharpe, Beckham, giggs, Ronaldo, Nani, Valencia, Young, Park... latter 2 were squad players but they all were direct, fast, tricky, and at a high level (and not #10's playing wide). And a very good balance between left wing and right wing. And all apart from Ronaldo were creators primarily, not wide forwards. I've got no doubt that Sir Alex would Rashford in the Ronaldo mold, but also no doubt that his first priority if he looked at our team would be to instantly sign a creative right winger, most likely Sancho. The frequency at which we fail to create chances has to be addressed, and the midfield has some part to play of course, but more so does the fact that we are ridiculously left side dependent. Our right wing isn't a creative threat from fullback of the wing, neither is it a scoring threat. So everything drifts to the left.

Devil may care

They're our key two forwards but they often have a thankless task given the supply line, Bruno ended up drifting into our half to get the ball given how bad the service was into the front 4, I'm not saying the attack doesn't need an addition but given our board I think if we spend mega money in that area we won't fix the core issues, and adding players like Ings or Tammy Abrahams isn't going to elevate us, we need actual upgrades up top.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They're our key two forwards but they often have a thankless task given the supply line, Bruno ended up drifting into our half to get the ball given how bad the service was into the front 4, I'm not saying the attack doesn't need an addition but given our board I think if we spend mega money in that area we won't fix the core issues, and adding players like Ings or Tammy Abrahams isn't going to elevate us, we need actual upgrades up top.
If teams like Brighton can play better football than us and create more chances with the players they have - we need to stop thinking the solution is always in the market. For a team like Brighton - that’s exactly where it is. They battered Palace for example, as they have done to a number of teams including ours, and lost the game because of lack of quality up front. They would die for an Ings or Tammy. This notion that we need the best players in the world in every position to give a decent account of ourselves needs to stop. All that will happen is we will buy world class players who will come in and look half the player once they arrive - as has been the case for 8 years now.

No matter what we spend - we find ourselves in the same position of saying they aren’t good enough before long. I’m not convinced personnel is as big a problem as is made out anymore.

lex talionis

What we need is new ownership, but since that’s not in the cards all that’s left to work with are the players.

We seriously lack quality up front — three straight goalless draws, mates. There has to be something in the bank but if we don’t have enough for Haaland, then Sancho.

Offloading Martial and Jones will not be possible, so let’s resign ourselves to having them on the squad for another season, Martial as Rashford’s backup and Jones fifth or sixth CB.

We’re not winning the PL trophy next season, so let’s bring Garner and Mengi in and develop them.

And let’s use VdB next season in rotation with Bruno and also Pogba, instead of having him rot on the bench.

And let’s use Diallo at least as Sancho’s cover and go with Greenwood and Cavani up front.

De Gea and Hendo are a very solid pair of keepers who can compete for top glove.

Devil may care

If teams like Brighton can play better football than us and create more chances with the players they have - we need to stop thinking the solution is always in the market. For a team like Brighton - that’s exactly where it is. They battered Palace for example, as they have done to a number of teams including ours, and lost the game because of lack of quality up front. They would die for an Ings or Tammy. This notion that we need the best players in the world in every position to give a decent account of ourselves needs to stop. All that will happen is we will buy world class players who will come in and look half the player once they arrive - as has been the case for 8 years now.

No matter what we spend - we find ourselves in the same position of saying they aren’t good enough before long. I’m not convinced personnel is as big a problem as is made out anymore.
They would die for a Tammy or Ings because their goal each season is to stay up, if we want to compete for actual trophies we need better, and I get your overall point about the coaching, we do often look clueless and reliant on individual moments of brilliance, but no matter who we have coaching us that midfield still can't pass water and our only proven striker is 34 and injury prone. Also, in fairness to Ole he's not had a single signing of his choosing in midfield, the wing or up top, he wanted Sancho and got 2 kids, he wanted Haaland and got Igalho then Cavani, he wanted Grealish and Bellingham and got Van de Beek, that doesn't happen to Pep or Klopp.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They would die for a Tammy or Ings because their goal each season is to stay up, if we want to compete for actual trophies we need better, and I get your overall point about the coaching, we do often look clueless and reliant on individual moments of brilliance, but no matter who we have coaching us that midfield still can't pass water and our only proven striker is 34 and injury prone. Also, in fairness to Ole he's not had a single signing of his choosing in midfield, the wing or up top, he wanted Sancho and got 2 kids, he wanted Haaland and got Igalho then Cavani, he wanted Grealish and Bellingham and got Van de Beek, that doesn't happen to Pep or Klopp.
Of course it happens to them. Other coaches don’t just get who they want. What you mean is Ole didn’t get all of his first choices. But HE still signed VDB, nobody forced him on him, same with the rest. Pep wanted Koundé and got Dias and moved on, for example.

Dong Fangzhuo

2 or 3 CM's depending on what happens with Pogba, a CB or two, RW, ST, RB. A new manager and coaching staff wouldn't go amiss. Other than that we're set.

Flying high

GK - de Gea / Henderson - This could be a problem which needs to be dealt with this summer, the best we can hope is that he plays well when he comes back in. If a club comes in with a respectable bid for de Gea in the summer, then great. £20mil or so, but even that might be too high given his wages. Letting him go on a free seems unlikely though it might end up best for us and him. But Henderson needs to prove himself in our remaining games. The last thing we want is to have to buy a new keeper any time soon. Going into next season having possibly lost our two experienced keepers(with Romero) and relying on a still quite young Henderson seems like a risk we don't need to take.

RB - AWB / ??? - I like AWB. In the right team he's fantastic. But if we rely on our RB to be creative then we're going to need a new one. We probably need a new option there anyway.

LB - Shaw / Teles - Shaw is good enough on current form. Not amazing, but good enough. Teles has been mostly poor for me. I had hoped that his experience would've helped him to settle quickly, but hopefully we'll see more from him soon. LB probably lowest priority for investment right now.

CB - ??? / Maguire / Lindelof / Bailly / Tuanzebe - That's four decent CBs there. Maguire is good enough, just. Though he also needs some competition. But we could really do with someone better than all four that we have. There's not much point adding another decent CB. Nor do i think it's the right time to buy 'potential'. We need a ready made top player. I want to see more of Tuanzebe, but his time must be running out to some degree.

CM - Pogba / Fred / McTominay / Matic - Not a terrible selection of players at all. Pogba and Matic had a great spell. McTominay and Fred have been excellent together, in certain games. But it's not enough. Matic can't do what Pogba needs. McFred is always going to be a limited combination. Pogba and Fred doesn't seem to work like it might. What we do in this position depends so much on the future of Pogba. The club should know either way by now whether he will stay. If he is leaving, then we won't be looking for a direct replacement, but there will of course be a huge creative hole in our midfield. The 3 that remain all bring certain qualities but, to be blunt, they all have large deficiencies in their game.

RW - ??? / Greenwood / James - We don't really have a player for this role. Greenwood should be playing as a backup getting 20ish starts a year across the front line and regular appearances as a sub, not being relied upon on the RW. James would be third choice here, ideally. We must sign a player who specialises on the right side. Please!

LW - Rashford / Martial / James - Good enough. Rashford and Martial should be fighting for this spot. Keep them both fresh and hungry.

AM - Bruno / VDB - Bruno has been amazing, he's carried us and looks exhausted. I'm not convinced VDB is the right player to be his backup. I hope I'm wrong about that.

CF - ??? / Cavani / Martial / Rashford - Cavani at 34 will not play every week next year. The three of them can't cover LW and CF together for the season. We can't rely on Martial to lead the line for weeks on end. We have to get a new CF.

I understand those that want to bin loads of our players for various reason. Pogba, Martial, DDG, James, Lindelof etc. But we aren't a club that will be prepared to swallow too many losses on transfers and then go and buy 2 top players for each position. While that approach can work, if you value winning over profits, we simply aren't that club under the Glazers.

So we need 3 very good new players to compete at the very top next year. That's not too much to ask, given our relatively modest net spend and wage trimming since Ole took over. Is it? It's well within reach imo. For all the talent city have, I think we can catch them with just 3 good signings. Haaland, Sancho and Varane and we win the league next year. I think we could probably find a cheaper option for the RW, Haaland is the one we shouldn't miss out on.

But in reality we all know that Pogba will probably leave for the exact reason that we won't get those 3 players in. So we'll need 4 top players and we'll get Grealish to replace Pogba and maybe one other starter. Plus a couple of bargains to fill the squad. It won't be enough, Ole will be blamed for 'not pushing on' and we'll get a new manager who will perpetually need 5 or 6 new players to complete their squad. And the Glazers will continue to pocket more and more of the clubs cash to the sound of barely a murmur from the fans.

Devil may care

Of course it happens to them. Other coaches don’t just get who they want. What you mean is Ole didn’t get all of his first choices. But HE still signed VDB, nobody forced him on him, same with the rest. Pep wanted Koundé and got Dias and moved on, for example.
It rarely happens to them mate, in Ole's case he didn't get a single first choice and as far as Van de Beek goes, well the way he's used him doesn't suggest to me he wanted him, he just took another body as it was him or nothing. At the end of the day it seems to me you think essentially we need a manager upgrade, yes? If so there's no real argument here as I feel we're just treading water with Ole at this point and while I don’t think any manager could win top trophies with this team, I do think they could implement a better style of play.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It rarely happens to them mate, in Ole's case he didn't get a single first choice and as far as Van de Beek goes, well the way he's used him doesn't suggest to me he wanted him, he just took another body as it was him or nothing. At the end of the day it seems to me you think essentially we need a manager upgrade, yes? If so there's no real argument here as I feel we're just treading water with Ole at this point and while I don’t think any manager could win top trophies with this team, I do think they could implement a better style of play.
I think whether a manager or coaching staff, but we need to get the best of what we have. Right now, we can’t comfortably beat teams of almost any standard. Do we need Mbappé for that? Surely not.

Rocknrolla69er

Where do we start.

De Jong (Barca skint)
Varane for Pogba
Sancho or Grealish

Is me dreaming. But could be doable.

Gandalf

I expect we will get Sancho and a bag of chips this summer but I am hoping to be surprised. I agree with a lot of other posters here that we need 4 starters being a RW, CB, CDM and striker but the chances of that happening are right up there with me being Kim Kardashian's rebound after Kanye.

If you plug in a few names we could be looking at Kounde, Rice, Sancho and Haland for those 4 positions and it is fair to say you would not be seeing change from 300m for that lot, not exactly the kind of spending we can expect even without the impact of Covid. Selling a keeper and securing permanent deals for a couple of fringe players like Dalot and Pereira would offset much of the Sancho fee and so that is what I would expect. We will muddle along with our current crop of defenders and midfielders for another year and probably wait til 2022 for the release clause for Haland.

Devil may care

I think whether a manager or coaching staff, but we need to get the best of what we have. Right now, we can’t comfortably beat teams of almost any standard. Do we need Mbappé for that? Surely not.
You have to factor in the lack of depth though, we've ran Rashford and Bruno into the ground 2 seasons in a row now, similar thing is happening with Leicester as well. The thing is even if we improved the coaching staff the quality issue would still be there in several key positions, we might win a couple of extra games and play better football but we'll still be chasing shadows in the top 4 scramble.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Grealish.
Yeah, as much as I despite the greasy-haired prick...the more I see him, the more I think he is what we need. Creativity, guile, links midfield and attack, brings movement. All the stuff we're missing. The problem is that he's tough to fit into our strongest eleven. We'd end up playing something like this :

Rashford Cavani Grealish
Fernandes
Pogba McTom
Shaw Maguire CB AWB
DDG

Looks like a fairly strong team. I wonder what he'd cost. Didnt he just sign a 5year contract? Probably at least £80mill?

NoPace

Where do we start.

De Jong (Barca skint)
Varane for Pogba
Sancho or Grealish

Is me dreaming. But could be doable.
I'm with you on De Jong. If Barca has interest in a whack of cash and Martial, VDB or Pogba, that would be glorious. We missed out on Modric to replace Scholes and it feels like we've done it again.

croadyman

There is absolutely no doubt we need a minimum of CB, DM & RW for the first XI and maybe also a ST if Eddy leaves, however think we will need to sell at least three players this summer to fund even two of those moves. I really cannot understand why we didn't just keep that £35M we spent on Donny and used it this summer instead

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Grealish over Sancho.
Pedro Neto for RW.
Haaland in.
Varane in.

Henderson
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred
Bruno Grealish
Neto Haaland Rashford

A man can dream.

laughtersassassin

Things we definitely need

Top Striker (Ideally Halaand)
RW (Especially if we don't sign a top Striker)
CM/CDM (One with brilliant long passing if Pogba leaves)
CB ( Preferably fast)

Obviously impossible for a club like our to do this all in one season. This summer assuming we keep Pogba the CB and Halaand would be good imo.

If Pogba goes that CM will have to be signed though cause our midfield would be so poor in the passing department.

Things we probably need long term
Better manager/coaches
Backup Right Back

Last edited:

croadyman

Things we definitely need

Top Striker (Ideally Halaand)
RW (Especially if we don't sign a top Striker)
CM/CDM (One with brilliant long passing if Pogba leaves)
CB ( Preferably fast)

Obviously impossible for a club like our to do this all in one season. This summer assuming we keep Pogba the CB and Halaand would be good imo.

If Pogba goes that CM will have to be signed though cause our midfield would be so poor in the passing department.

Things we probably need long term
Better manager/coaches
Backup Right Back
Still feel like we simply have to sign a midfielder whatever happens with Pogba, however it's looking very likely there is no interest at all from the club unless someone is prepared to put up the money for him or we can get a swap deal

Devil may care

Ole has some tough calls to make with Cavani injured again and Martial not scoring as well as the fact we have no proper holder and nobody in midfield that can pass bar Pogba. On top of that the winger has become much more important as Rashford is going to have his shoulder operation after the Euros so it could be Christmas before he's back. All of that and there's the need for a CB as well.......

I think Pogba wants to leave but covid might scupper his plans and if we can get him on a 3 year contract extension with a look to selling him in 2022 it would be best all round, otherwise we'd need 2 midfielders.

croadyman

Ole has some tough calls to make with Cavani injured again and Martial not scoring as well as the fact we have no proper holder and nobody in midfield that can pass bar Pogba. On top of that the winger has become much more important as Rashford is going to have his shoulder operation after the Euros so it could be Christmas before he's back. All of that and there's the need for a CB as well.......

I think Pogba wants to leave but covid might scupper his plans and if we can get him on a 3 year contract extension with a look to selling him in 2022 it would be best all round, otherwise we'd need 2 midfielders.
Yeah I think COVID will scupper his hopes of a move for the second summer in a row, like you say with Eddy starting to look a bit too injury prone then we may well need to push a ST right up the priority list. I think the absolute maximum we can get in the window is two which I can see being CB & RW/ST.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
CDM
One that can beat the press and keep their shorts firmly tied around their waist.. Ideally a Carrick type but that’s impossible to get in today’s crop. So a combative type that can move the ball quickly from under them.
RB
I am not a fan of buying FBs, I’d rather have them come through the youth system or converting defensive Wingers into FBs because I believe it’s a very cultural role to a clubs playing traditions. A Utd FB should be able to ping a cross in from the halfway line with accuracy.
RW
A wide man that can hug the touchline with the ability to beat the first press and put a common sense pass/cross into the box. The whole forward line can’t be snipers for goodness sake. With this I’d say no to Sancho.

OrcaFat

We need top class new players in probably 4 positions- CB, DM, CM and CF. A ready-to-go RW wouldn’t hurt. But let’s be honest that is the work of many transfer windows. I will be “happy” if we buy just ONE top class, walks-into-the-team quality player. I doubt we will even get that though.

When we have a shite transfer window it’s one of the most depressing things in being a fan. I want to get that feeling I had when we bought Berbatov. We kidnapped him at the fecking airport. Man, that was awesome. Give me a signing like that, lord, I beg of you.

Devil may care

Yeah I think COVID will scupper his hopes of a move for the second summer in a row, like you say with Eddy starting to look a bit too injury prone then we may well need to push a ST right up the priority list. I think the absolute maximum we can get in the window is two which I can see being CB & RW/ST.
Agreed, I feel that we'll definitely get a CB and then it'll be one of the two forward positions for tne other signing. Pogba and McTominay will play together more often with us either switching to 3-5-2 or playing Pogba RW/LW and going back to McFred for the big games. It's a recipe for not catching City but should maintain top 4.