What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's the second season Rashford is playing through injury. James isn't good enough, Martial probably has used up his last chance and Diallo isn't ready.
If we can't get the other two personally I believe Grealish is so good that you buy him anyway. He could start for us in multiple positions.

If Cavani is staying then Ole would probably opt to play Rashford on the right more as he has done in many games that Cavani has started.
I'd rather we use the 70m + for Grealish on an ST or RW instead of pushing Rashford to those positions to accommodate Grealish

laughtersassassin

I'm starting to think Sancho and Rice are nailed on for the Summer; hopefully Pogba stays too. I'll be happy with that.
Rice and Sancho and keep Pogba is a great summer. And the type of summer we should be aiming for.

We mostly wasted last summer but have still progressed it's time to go big on another summer and try hit the next level.

Club has to show some ambition or we could easily regress.

bucky

I'd rather we use the 70m + for Grealish on an ST or RW instead of pushing Rashford to those positions to accommodate Grealish
I understand that point of view, I just think Grealish is better on the left than Rashford. RW should be the priority over LW, I agree.

Devil may care

I think our transfer window is already taking shape, we've signed our CB in Bailly so that'll be more Maglof week in and week out next season, and as desperate as many are for a RW buy if you listen to Ole and Mason I think we already have the chosen one.

That leaves us with a Striker as a priority to replace Cavani and probably a midfielder. Kane and Haaland are near impossible, maybe we'll try for Martinez but I wouldn't be shocked if we partly funded Chelsea's Varane purchase by buying Abraham. For midfield I think Rice is probably who we'll try for, personally I really don't want him paired with McTominay or Fred but whatever, Pogba will likely see out the last season of his contract playing in the front 4 to give us some creativity there.

One other signing I could see us making is Lucas Vasquez on a free to offer RB cover and RW depth.

yamo123x

It wont happen but id love us to sign Rice, Sancho and Grealish.

We rely too highly on Bruno, we need creativity to help break down stubborn teams and score against the big teams

Defensively we havent been that bad, other than earlier in the season when we were not match fit...id stick with Maglof and Bailly with AXEL/ Menghi as back up.

jesperjaap

I think our transfer window is already taking shape, we've signed our CB in Bailly so that'll be more Maglof week in and week out next season, and as desperate as many are for a RW buy if you listen to Ole and Mason I think we already have the chosen one.

That leaves us with a Striker as a priority to replace Cavani and probably a midfielder. Kane and Haaland are near impossible, maybe we'll try for Martinez but I wouldn't be shocked if we partly funded Chelsea's Varane purchase by buying Abraham. For midfield I think Rice is probably who we'll try for, personally I really don't want him paired with McTominay or Fred but whatever, Pogba will likely see out the last season of his contract playing in the front 4 to give us some creativity there.

One other signing I could see us making is Lucas Vasquez on a free to offer RB cover and RW depth.
Yes that Bailly contract is ominous. Dont know why we should be surprised as we have seen it for the last few years with ageing/injury prone players not really good enough being given new contracts right back to Valencia and Young. Though Lindelof has improved recently and Bailly fit and playing is a good defender (which hasnt happened consistently since his first season) its blaringly obvious surely that we need a new centre back?

laughtersassassin

That's the team we should go into next season with IMO. Two major signings. Very Doable especially if we sell Lingard and De Gea.

If Cavani has to go then Ings or someone cheap as well we know the Glazers are cheap.

That team can take the next step up.

Current form of actually put Sancho left and Greenwood on the right but thats the beauty of a Summer of Rice and Sancho. It makes our squad a million times better.

If Pogba goes then you have to get Grealish or someone World Class to replace. Simple as.

Devil may care

Yes that Bailly contract is ominous. Dont know why we should be surprised as we have seen it for the last few years with ageing/injury prone players not really good enough being given new contracts right back to Valencia and Young. Though Lindelof has improved recently and Bailly fit and playing is a good defender (which hasnt happened consistently since his first season) its blaringly obvious surely that we need a new centre back?
Our motto is waste lots of money on renewing bench players on big wages instead of spending more on buying players for the first 11. I think we need a centre back and I know the Pau Torres rumour has popped up again tonight but I don't see us signing one this summer, Bailly was the obe to make way and he's stayed.

That's the team we should go into next season with IMO. Two major signings. Very Doable especially if we sell Lingard and De Gea.

If Cavani has to go then Ings or someone cheap as well we know the Glazers are cheap.

That team can take the next step up.

Current form of actually put Sancho left and Greenwood on the right but thats the beauty of a Summer of Rice and Sancho. It makes our squad a million times better.

If Pogba goes then you have to get Grealish or someone World Class to replace. Simple as.
That team would get ran through too easily, even Pep has ditched the two #10's ahead of a holder system and he has two holders better than Rice.

laughtersassassin

Our motto is waste lots of money on renewing bench players on big wages instead of spending more on buying players for the first 11. I think we need a centre back and I know the Pau Torres rumour has popped up again tonight but I don't see us signing one this summer, Bailly was the obe to make way and he's stayed.

That team would get ran through too easily, even Pep has ditched the two #10's ahead of a holder system and he has two holders better than Rice.
It doesn't need to be played every game. It's a better team than what we play now.

WPMUFC

I've been burnt from the last window of Sancho so i've kept my distance from this sub-forum, but can someone correct me on this, why are there still rumours of us going for Sancho, Kane et.al when our finances are surely worse now than last year (which seemed to be a massive factor in the Sancho debacle)? Is all this speculation of top signings based on hypothetical Pogba money?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I've been burnt from the last window of Sancho so i've kept my distance from this sub-forum, but can someone correct me on this, why are there still rumours of us going for Sancho, Kane et.al when our finances are surely worse now than last year (which seemed to be a massive factor in the Sancho debacle)? Is all this speculation of top signings based on hyperthetical Pogba money?
Because we are all Muppets with hope

WPMUFC

Because we are all Muppets with hope
ok, that's fair enough. it's all in good fun about what we wish we could have. It's just that i've read a few of the threads that seem to be taking the Kane/Haaland/Sancho stuff seriously and I felt like i missed something.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

ok, that's fair enough. it's all in good fun about what we wish we could have. It's just that i've read a few of the threads that seem to be taking the Kane/Haaland/Sancho stuff seriously and I felt like i missed something.
We generate enough revenue to buy all of them, however we aren't likely to buy anyone this summer... but a man can dream

Icemav

We need to keep Pogba and Cavani for another season. Minimum 1 for Pogba though I have a feelong he might extend until 2023.

If we lose both these players next season we are a bit stuffed. Also Cavani is helping Greenwood develop massively, he needs another season.

Additions? Back up for AWB, right wing, dlp or DM who can control play.

Last edited:

BaillyBaillyBailly

The more I think about Kane/Haaland this summer the more I'm turned off it.
I really think we need to put everything into convincing Cavani to stay and give Greenwood another season learning off him. From what I see of Greenwood he is incredibly gifted at finishing, dribbling, passing and actually has good vision. Cavani is needed to further teach him the value of finding space and finishing lethally.

With Cavani/Greenwood/Rashford/Martial next season I think we can score enough goals to challenge.

The more important areas to fix are CDM & CB for me. We are hamstrung by having to play 2 DMs because neither are capable of playing the role themselves. Imagine the improvement we would see in our team if we had Kante for example (I am not for a minute suggesting we would or could sign him).
Having a properly competent CDM would free up Pogba in midfield to link with Bruno and we become much more able to boss possession against bigger teams and unlock weaker teams who sit back against us. N'didi and Rice are probably too expensive unless a deal involving Lingard could be arranged but they seem the best fit.

Most of our CB errors this season have come through a lack of pace and opposition forwards surging in behind Maguire/Lindelof. I have seen a lot of rumours around Pau Torres who for me looks very very similar to Lindelof. I haven't seen enough of Kounde but he didn't look great in the CL this season. I've seen Ben White a fair bit but am not really convinced. I think Varane would be a fantastic signing but I imagine he's just using United to angle for a better contract a la Ramos from a few years ago. Botman looks like a Maguire clone (slow slabhead material). If Bailly could stay fit and removed the rush of blood to the head moments he has he would solve a lot of issues, that's not going to happen though. Ole seems to just not fancy Tuanzebe despite him performing well generally. Fofana would be a good fit, but he's only got one season under his belt, probably not sure enough he's the real deal, also Leicester wouldn't sell for less than £80m. Tomori could be an interesting option, Romano has said he's available to Milan for around £25m but I don't think Chelsea would want to sell to us. Not really sure there any viable options tbh.

jesperjaap

The more I think about Kane/Haaland this summer the more I'm turned off it.
I really think we need to put everything into convincing Cavani to stay and give Greenwood another season learning off him. From what I see of Greenwood he is incredibly gifted at finishing, dribbling, passing and actually has good vision. Cavani is needed to further teach him the value of finding space and finishing lethally.

With Cavani/Greenwood/Rashford/Martial next season I think we can score enough goals to challenge.

The more important areas to fix are CDM & CB for me. We are hamstrung by having to play 2 DMs because neither are capable of playing the role themselves. Imagine the improvement we would see in our team if we had Kante for example (I am not for a minute suggesting we would or could sign him).
Having a properly competent CDM would free up Pogba in midfield to link with Bruno and we become much more able to boss possession against bigger teams and unlock weaker teams who sit back against us. N'didi and Rice are probably too expensive unless a deal involving Lingard could be arranged but they seem the best fit.

Most of our CB errors this season have come through a lack of pace and opposition forwards surging in behind Maguire/Lindelof. I have seen a lot of rumours around Pau Torres who for me looks very very similar to Lindelof. I haven't seen enough of Kounde but he didn't look great in the CL this season. I've seen Ben White a fair bit but am not really convinced. I think Varane would be a fantastic signing but I imagine he's just using United to angle for a better contract a la Ramos from a few years ago. Botman looks like a Maguire clone (slow slabhead material). If Bailly could stay fit and removed the rush of blood to the head moments he has he would solve a lot of issues, that's not going to happen though. Ole seems to just not fancy Tuanzebe despite him performing well generally. Fofana would be a good fit, but he's only got one season under his belt, probably not sure enough he's the real deal, also Leicester wouldn't sell for less than £80m. Tomori could be an interesting option, Romano has said he's available to Milan for around £25m but I don't think Chelsea would want to sell to us. Not really sure there any viable options tbh.
Romagnoli £25m - Whoever manages that if he goes this summer has possibly the best deal in terms of value this summer of any signing

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Romagnoli £25m - Whoever manages that if he goes this summer has possibly the best deal in terms of value this summer of any signing
I frequent a few Milan forums and the player's performance thread mirrors what we've seen on here with Bailly, Lindelof etc. The Milan fans don't seem to rate him highly at all. The quoted post below was particularly concerning from one of the Milan fans.

"Yesterday he played better precisely because with Tomori on the pitch we can stay 15 meters higher without fear of being inexorably punctured and we showed throughout the championship that if we keep the team short we are suffocating and very dangerous to restart".

"Romagnoli is always the same ... a good defender nothing more, the difference is made by the partner".

https://www.milanworld.net/alessio-romagnoli-vt30914-299.html

BaillyBaillyBailly

He can't get into Milan's team. Not sure he would be a particularly good option based on that alone but I don't know enough about him. He also doesn't get into the Italy squad.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
IMO, midfielders! Fred and McT are far away from being good enough. Then we have a RW issue as well as a CF issue (unless Cavani is fit and stays for another season). At CB, we could also do better than Lindelof but that is wishful thinking I guess

jamesjimmybyrondean

Here's what I think we are after:

LCB - I know it's been mentioned that we might not get a CB because of the Bailly contract but I don't see it. CB was a priority when Bailly was here last season and that wouldn't change. I don't see how the club would see Bailly that is hardly available as the reliable third choice CB. Bailly would also be unavailable due to AFCON which would leave us without a solid third choice. I think we want a left footed CB for variation and rotation for Maguire. Pau Torres seems to be the prime target.

Sancho - I've maintained that the club doesn't want an RW, we want Sancho. And if the price doesn't drop we would continue with Greenwood next season

Rice - Like Sancho I don't think we would be in for a DM unless we can get Rice. We've been crying out for one since last season and we didn't even get linked with one. I think we are comfortable with Mctominay Fred Pogba and Matic as our double pivot option and would only improve on that position if the right player becomes available. Rice seems to be that player and has now become a possiblity because of Lingard

RB - Romano has said we want an RB this season and we've been linked with Aarons. Awb doesn't get any rest even though we have an option in Williams . Doesn't seem like we think Williams is good enough so we'd be in for a new RB to rotate with AWB. Personally think this should be bottom on the priority list.

ST - Only if Cavani leaves

CM/DM - Only if Pogba leaves

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
The team is quite good to be fair. I'd say the main things to sort out are

A - A clear structure and automatism in the players runs. Louis van Gaal is great at this but when it's all in order his clubs tend to need a better man manager ;)

B - A collective cause and ambition as well as leadership. Ole seems to have the players behind him but he could do with another Bruno, i.e. a Zlatan, Haaland, Ribéry, Ramos-type that won't accept failure. Look at Kimmich who I absolutely love as a player. Without his resolve he'd be half the player, Bruno is the same, Schweinsteiger before them as well. Liverpool have several such as Milner, Henderson, Lovren (before).

C - A 40-goal a year striker and two 20 goals a year wingers. No matter what team or league you can't have Bruno (CAM, 26 goals) and Rashford (LW/RW, 20 goals) be the top scorers. 30 is the bare minimum and I'd say you need 40 goals a year from a top striker today across all competitions in order to challenge for the league and the Champions League.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (28 goals, 16/17) and Romelu Lukaku (27 goals, 17/18) came close, Zlatan would actually have made the mark but for injury. The last time a United striker struck 30 times was in 12/13 when van Persie draged United to the title. The year before Rooney scored 34 and United lost the title on goal difference, tough luck. United already have Rashford, the other two slots need to be sorted out. Haaland is the obvious one but perhaps out of range.

I'd take a look at Haalands replacement at Salzburg - Patson Daka. The 22-year old zambian has scored 31 in 37 this year, 27 in 45 the year before. Andre Silva at Frankfurt also fits the bill as a young, talented striker. Andrea Belotti at Torino could be your 20-25 goals a season striker as well as providing a good foil for the wingers, perhaps not quite the fire sparks United need though. I'd also look at Jamie Vardy. He is criminally underrated and could well be on par with the likes of Eto'o, David Villa or Pippo Inzaghi if provided the opportunity. Perhaps he has another two good seasons in him?

D - A deep-laying playmaker. You need one midfielder who can run, score the odd goal, harass the opponents and preferably be rather tall as to be of help offensively and defensively. Seydou Keita was great, Leon Goretzka does incredibly well, Casemiro is legendary, Thiago Motta was another one. McTominay fits the bill. But who should his partner be? Where is Uniteds Kroos, Thiago, Verrati, Pirlo, Scholes?

I'd look at someone that's approximately 26-29 that still has the legs but above all leadership and experience. It hasn't worked out for Thiago at Liverpool, try to get him if possible. It would be quite the coup. Unfortunately I don't follow football as I used to but i remember Julian Weigl of Dortmund being touted as the next Busquets when he broke through at Dortmund. He is only 25 and plays for Benfica, if he hasn't regressed or stagnated he might fit the bill. That type of intelligent player often rise to the occasion and play better with better players around them. Max Arnold was also hyped up around the same time but never got his big time move, according to Kicker he has had a great season at Wolfsburg. Today all the rave is about Florian Neuhaus, 24, at M'Gladbach. If Bayern can afford it post-Covid they will buy him but if they can't he might move abroad seeing as M'Gladbach always tend to nurture players and then sell them on. Kristoffer Olsson who plays for Krasnodar in Russia and the Swedish NT is a Modric-replica. Great buy!

E - Get rid of Maguire. The man wears his heart on his sleeve but he is simply not good enough, Smalling is better. In the years that I have followed football I've always had a sweet spot for the great players emerging from the Sevillas, Parmas, Southampton or M'Gladbachs. As a general rule of thumb I believe german newsoutlet Kicker are right 90 % of the time when they rank the players in the league. The players are ranked as World Class -> International Class -> National Class but it often happens that no players in the league are deemed as World Class. It lends credibility. Such is the case this year when last years recipient of World Class (David Alaba) fell out of the list all together after a lack of form due to contractual issues. I haven't watched this guy play but the no1 pick in the league, above Mats Hummels (2), German NT-starter Mathias Ginter (3) and Bayern-bound Dayot Upamecano (6) is Burkina Faso and Bayer Leverkusens Edmond Tapsoba. He is 1,94 (6,5) and looks solid and technical on Youtube, mind you I haven't watched him play but I really do rate Kickers analysis. He just turned 22 as well.

Olecurls99

I'd hardly call Gundogan a holder. Its only the odd game that he plays Rodri and Fernandinho together. The big matches and the like

We need a possession king holding midfielder, and Grealish.

Rashford-Greenwood-Grealish would be the best front 3 in the game.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I'd hardly call Gundogan a holder. Its only the odd game that he plays Rodri and Fernandinho together. The big matches and the like

We need a possession king holding midfielder, and Grealish.

Rashford-Greenwood-Grealish would be the best front 3 in the game.
Gundogan isn't a holder but he's a proper midfielder on both sides of the ball, we've seen how much better and happier Pogba is when free'd up more on the left, his defensive side is never going to be good enough no matter who the holder is, Pogba will always try but you suffocate his natural game when he has too much defensive responsibility.

Are you saying Rice is a possession king holder?

I disagree on that front 3, Grealish on the right isn't getting the best from him and Mason isn't close to being ready to play #9 regularly, Ole and Mason have both said that Mason is best floating off the right for now and he's really progressing in that role. Ole talked last night about a team needing balance and not just all the exciting players, and I think people need to start thinking of Pogba as an attacker in the front 4, Ole wants a strong base to allow the front 4 to play.

As far as that goes we need to improve that base, McFred need upgrading and we need midfielders who can do what they do but also be good in possession as you said. If Cavani stays and Pogba signs a new contract I'd look at the 3 positions below to buy in the summer.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
The team is quite good to be fair. I'd say the main things to sort out are

A - A clear structure and automatism in the players runs. Louis van Gaal is great at this but when it's all in order his clubs tend to need a better man manager ;)

B - A collective cause and ambition as well as leadership. Ole seems to have the players behind him but he could do with another Bruno, i.e. a Zlatan, Haaland, Ribéry, Ramos-type that won't accept failure. Look at Kimmich who I absolutely love as a player. Without his resolve he'd be half the player, Bruno is the same, Schweinsteiger before them as well. Liverpool have several such as Milner, Henderson, Lovren (before).

C - A 40-goal a year striker and two 20 goals a year wingers. No matter what team or league you can't have Bruno (CAM, 26 goals) and Rashford (LW/RW, 20 goals) be the top scorers. 30 is the bare minimum and I'd say you need 40 goals a year from a top striker today across all competitions in order to challenge for the league and the Champions League.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (28 goals, 16/17) and Romelu Lukaku (27 goals, 17/18) came close, Zlatan would actually have made the mark but for injury. The last time a United striker struck 30 times was in 12/13 when van Persie draged United to the title. The year before Rooney scored 34 and United lost the title on goal difference, tough luck. United already have Rashford, the other two slots need to be sorted out. Haaland is the obvious one but perhaps out of range.

I'd take a look at Haalands replacement at Salzburg - Patson Daka. The 22-year old zambian has scored 31 in 37 this year, 27 in 45 the year before. Andre Silva at Frankfurt also fits the bill as a young, talented striker. Andrea Belotti at Torino could be your 20-25 goals a season striker as well as providing a good foil for the wingers, perhaps not quite the fire sparks United need though. I'd also look at Jamie Vardy. He is criminally underrated and could well be on par with the likes of Eto'o, David Villa or Pippo Inzaghi if provided the opportunity. Perhaps he has another two good seasons in him?

D - A deep-laying playmaker. You need one midfielder who can run, score the odd goal, harass the opponents and preferably be rather tall as to be of help offensively and defensively. Seydou Keita was great, Leon Goretzka does incredibly well, Casemiro is legendary, Thiago Motta was another one. McTominay fits the bill. But who should his partner be? Where is Uniteds Kroos, Thiago, Verrati, Pirlo, Scholes?

I'd look at someone that's approximately 26-29 that still has the legs but above all leadership and experience. It hasn't worked out for Thiago at Liverpool, try to get him if possible. It would be quite the coup. Unfortunately I don't follow football as I used to but i remember Julian Weigl of Dortmund being touted as the next Busquets when he broke through at Dortmund. He is only 25 and plays for Benfica, if he hasn't regressed or stagnated he might fit the bill. That type of intelligent player often rise to the occasion and play better with better players around them. Max Arnold was also hyped up around the same time but never got his big time move, according to Kicker he has had a great season at Wolfsburg. Today all the rave is about Florian Neuhaus, 24, at M'Gladbach. If Bayern can afford it post-Covid they will buy him but if they can't he might move abroad seeing as M'Gladbach always tend to nurture players and then sell them on. Kristoffer Olsson who plays for Krasnodar in Russia and the Swedish NT is a Modric-replica. Great buy!

E - Get rid of Maguire. The man wears his heart on his sleeve but he is simply not good enough, Smalling is better. In the years that I have followed football I've always had a sweet spot for the great players emerging from the Sevillas, Parmas, Southampton or M'Gladbachs. As a general rule of thumb I believe german newsoutlet Kicker are right 90 % of the time when they rank the players in the league. The players are ranked as World Class -> International Class -> National Class but it often happens that no players in the league are deemed as World Class. It lends credibility. Such is the case this year when last years recipient of World Class (David Alaba) fell out of the list all together after a lack of form due to contractual issues. I haven't watched this guy play but the no1 pick in the league, above Mats Hummels (2), German NT-starter Mathias Ginter (3) and Bayern-bound Dayot Upamecano (6) is Burkina Faso and Bayer Leverkusens Edmond Tapsoba. He is 1,94 (6,5) and looks solid and technical on Youtube, mind you I haven't watched him play but I really do rate Kickers analysis. He just turned 22 as well.
You pointed out some interesting ideas but the last one is total nonsense. Drop our captain and best CB for an unproven burkinain fasonian from Leverkusen ? Come on...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm fine as long as we upgrade our team and specifically starting XI. No more wasting our transfer window for bench players who are not used and also don't weaken the squad, doing those are only slowing our progress. If we lose someone who are part of our XI, replace him with same quality.

If we keep everyone like Cavani & Pogba but we only sign one player but that one player is an upgrade on our XI. I already consider that as an upgrade or improvement.

Olecurls99

Gundogan isn't a holder but he's a proper midfielder on both sides of the ball, we've seen how much better and happier Pogba is when free'd up more on the left, his defensive side is never going to be good enough no matter who the holder is, Pogba will always try but you suffocate his natural game when he has too much defensive responsibility.

I disagree on that front 3, Grealish on the right isn't getting the best from him and Mason isn't close to being ready to play #9 regularly, Ole and Mason have both said that Mason is best floating off the right for now and he's really progressing in that role. Ole talked last night about a team needing balance and not just all the exciting players, and I think people need to start thinking of Pogba as an attacker in the front 4, Ole wants a strong base to allow the front 4 to play.

As far as that goes we need to improve that base, McFred need upgrading and we need midfielders who can do what they do but also be good in possession as you said. If Cavani stays and Pogba signs a new contract I'd look at the 3 positions below to buy in the summer.
Yep I agree that Gundogan is a cracking midfielder but he does get forward a lot so I don't think we need 2 holding midfielders.

Fred and Mctominay are obviously 2 very similar players so we need that possession king midfielder to compliment their abilities.

No, I'm not for a minute suggesting Rice is that player. I don't rate him that highly actually. He's a good tackler but his ability on the ball is only adequate. We need a Carrick.
I'm not sure who's the best player available in that mould, but that's who we need to compliment Fred or Mctominay.

You're dead right about Pogba. I keep fooling myself into thinking he could do that Carrick job but he's best in the final 3rd, no doubt about it. Carrick couldn't do what Pogba can do and Pogba can't do what Carrick could do.

I just think Grealish would send us up another level and I think it wouldn't matter to him to play on the right because he's quite 2 footed. I literally think he's the best player in the league.
He would also increase our options up top.
At the moment we have Rashford and Pogba for the left, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood up top and Greenwood for the right. We need 1 more and I think Grealish is the best left and right winger out there. Greenwood would score goals for fun with Grealish, Pogba, Rashford and Fernandes(rarely all together but sometimes) behind him.

I think the below team/squad would have enough balance and quality to dominate and it would only take 2, albeit expensive, signings.
Henderson/De Gea
Bissaka/Williams
Lindelof/Bailly
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Telles
Carrick/Matic
Fred/Mctominay
Fernandes/Donny
Pogba/Rashford
Greenwood /Cavani/Martial
Grealish[/QUOTE]

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So I decide to compare like for like with City & Chelsea.

City has miles better centre back & midfield options. Which was the big difference between their and our current squad. Not to mention, signing Cavani in late window result in missing our first four games and also missing lot of our games due to lack for fitness, injuries, & 3 match ban also make big difference.

We have much better attacking players than Chelsea but their deep midfielder is slightly better than us & their squad depth is much better than us.

May be midfield should be the priority this summer assuming if we can keep Cavani & Pogba. I think if we want to close the gaps with City we must improve our midfield first and also hoping Diallo can step up and take James's minutes next season to improve our squad depth.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

United has never had triplets, right?

croadyman

So let's say that Edi does decide to stay for another year and Pogba is still there for now, which TWO positions do we most need to prioritise in the summer out of

CB

CDM

RW

Personally I still only see ONE first XI signing unless we can manage to sell TWO of DDG/Lingard/Martial in the summer, in which case there would be a chance of addressing all three issues in this window. I still feel like Rice would offer us someone who can play those top two positions but do have concerns regarding his ability on the ball. Ideally we sign someone who offers that protection but is also a very strong progressive passer as well.

In regards to RW I still feel like we need to sign a starter there but doesn't have to be Sancho, yes he would be my first choice in that position but should also be looking at people like Raphinha but getting him from Leeds could be tricky. I also still feel that although Saint-Maximin seems to play more on the left that he could still operate well on the RW too.

Last edited:

Flying high

If Cavani and Pogba stay, and with Greenwood's form we really aren't far away.

A DM is probably our priority right now. Ole will be fully aware of the limitations of the McFred partnership. Only using one of those alongside a DM in big games, or Pogba plus DM the rest of the time should fix our creative/defensive balance issue.

A RW is still needed unless the club have seen real potential in Amad for next season. Otherwise, a proper RW to share with Greenwood would be really useful.

A CB who can play RB would be the ideal way to finish our squad.

3 good signings this year, then hopefully next year we can focus on a top class CF to replace Cavani.

Devil may care

Yep I agree that Gundogan is a cracking midfielder but he does get forward a lot so I don't think we need 2 holding midfielders.

Fred and Mctominay are obviously 2 very similar players so we need that possession king midfielder to compliment their abilities.

No, I'm not for a minute suggesting Rice is that player. I don't rate him that highly actually. He's a good tackler but his ability on the ball is only adequate. We need a Carrick.
I'm not sure who's the best player available in that mould, but that's who we need to compliment Fred or Mctominay.

You're dead right about Pogba. I keep fooling myself into thinking he could do that Carrick job but he's best in the final 3rd, no doubt about it. Carrick couldn't do what Pogba can do and Pogba can't do what Carrick could do.

I just think Grealish would send us up another level and I think it wouldn't matter to him to play on the right because he's quite 2 footed. I literally think he's the best player in the league.
He would also increase our options up top.
At the moment we have Rashford and Pogba for the left, Martial, Cavani and Greenwood up top and Greenwood for the right. We need 1 more and I think Grealish is the best left and right winger out there. Greenwood would score goals for fun with Grealish, Pogba, Rashford and Fernandes(rarely all together but sometimes) behind him.

I think the below team/squad would have enough balance and quality to dominate and it would only take 2, albeit expensive, signings.
Henderson/De Gea
Bissaka/Williams
Lindelof/Bailly
Maguire/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Telles
Carrick/Matic
Fred/Mctominay
Fernandes/Donny
Pogba/Rashford
Greenwood /Cavani/Martial
Grealish
I don't think we disagree much in truth, you're right on Gundogan but he is an all round midfielder which was more my point than having 2 holders, I think because of his size people think of Pogba like Yaya Toure but he's closer to a player like Ruud Gullit, he's never going to be at his best in a deeper role.

Grealish is a quality player, his level has gone up this season, but he'll cost £80M and that means he has to play every week, now if Pogba is playing LM he has to play out of position and are Rashford and Greenwood going to become squad players like Donny? I just don't think it's realistic, now if Pogba goes in the summer then Grealish on the left where Pogba has been playing is a great choice.

United has never had triplets, right?
Right, the Click to edit kids are generational talents as well, rare from one family.

jesperjaap

He can't get into Milan's team. Not sure he would be a particularly good option based on that alone but I don't know enough about him. He also doesn't get into the Italy squad.
He isnt Cannavaro or Nesta quality, which he was touted to be, but as far as I am aware he has been playing and captaining Milan still but has had injury problems this season, especially the last few months or he would have played.

He hasnt looked as good the few times I have seen Milan this season, but the side is poor, there have been injury niggles and probably has cotnact situation hanging over him.

Personally think a move away is right for him. Think the leadership he brings, experience of captaining and playing for Milan at a young age and the age he is at that he should be coming to his peak....plus the £25m touted makes it great value. I really think he is the right player to partner Maguire and I also think with that leadership he can lead the back line in unison which would be huge as that has been a big weakness this season positioning on crosses and leading out the line as one.
I think he would be a great signing personally....and well, Fofana cant get in the France U21 side but he is being talked up for £80m which is crazy, think he is a great prospect though

Dve

I personally think our signings should be obvious this summer.

Getting two of the Below options:
Rice/Bissouma
Sancho/Halaand/Grealish/Kane

And Keep Pogba

Anything after that is a Bonus.

I think with Rice we don't need a CB that badly if I'm honest.
I agree with that. If we can get Rice and Sancho, for me, that´s already a brilliant transfer window. And keep Pogba and Cavani, of course.

kirk buttercup

I think with Cavani staying and Bailley signing a new contract we are looking at RW and DM options . Sancho or Grealish would be good fits for us , and then Rice might be on the cards if Lingard goes the other way. but I reckon we may use players to broker deals as Money will be tight for most clubs