What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Beans

Supports
Neutral
So you mention AWB as being targeted in the air but not the number one target?
You mean De Gea? It certainly doesn't help when your keeper is so weak in the air. Especially when I started my United support when VDS was here, who was a master of defending the box against balls in the air.

AWB is a tremendous defender on the ground, the best tackling fullback I've ever seen. If he can get better at defending balls in the air then good enough for me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You mean De Gea? It certainly doesn't help when your keeper is so weak in the air. Especially when I started my United support when VDS was here, who was a master of defending the box against balls in the air.

AWB is a tremendous defender on the ground, the best tackling fullback I've ever seen. If he can get better at defending balls in the air then good enough for me.
Lindelof

SAF is the GOAT

Don't forget about the bad positioning he has a few times this season. That's he has to improve.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Unless Cavani is playing nearly every game then we CANNOT rely on Rashford/Martial to be our main striker...they are not good enough.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So last time we finished second we bought a sub keeper, right back and centre midfielder. Right now strong rumours linking us to Heaton and Tripper. Not saying there's a pattern, just saying...

jesperjaap

Don't forget about the bad positioning he has a few times this season. That's he has to improve.
Yes, I have always been a massive fan of Bissaka and wanted us to sign him long before we did. I think he has had a good season and is improving going forward though he wasnt awful anyway. Still needs to progress that side of his game, but I agree. The one huge weakness in his game that does need a lot of work if he is to reach the levels I think he is capable of is his positioning when the ball is in the other corner

croadyman

So last time we finished second we bought a sub keeper, right back and centre midfielder. Right now strong rumours linking us to Heaton and Tripper. Not saying there's a pattern, just saying...
Very confident that pattern goes out of the window after euros

croadyman

Trippier £20m
Varane £40m
Oblak £40m + De Gea
Niguez £40m
Just add Jadon and we are talking sensational but seriously there is no chance we have a triple raid on Atletico in one summer and there is also a feeling that we would still need to sign a proper DM for Saul to work in this team anyway

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I feel like I don't even notice he's on the field, probably because he never attacks the ball. I don't even know what to say, he's unspectacular but reliable at his level.

I wonder what prime Rio & Vidic could do in the league these days. Didn't see concede like 17-18 goals in a season one year? Surely you couldn't replicate it in the league today with so many more internationals in the league than then.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’d be happy with:

Tapsoda
Rice
Ramsey (IF juve looking to do a deal to free up wages)
Hakan calhanoglu (IF free transfer)
Trippier (IF it can be done)
Sancho

still think we could do with a new CF but it can wait till the next summer

rotherham_red

If the three rumoured signings come in (Sancho, Trippier and Torres/Varane) then fitness and form permitting, we will only need a DM and striker to complete the team as a whole.

We'll likely still have the odd gap here and there in the squad but for all intents and purposes, it'll be complete and also more importantly, it seems that there will be a viable pathway into the first team for the most promising kids so there's no reason why we can't eventually see them break through as squad players and eventually displace the players in front of them.

rotherham_red

Forgot also that Pogba will likely be leaving next summer if we don't bow down to his demands (likely imo). Though I think we might not see a need to bring in someone to replace him as VdB and maybe even Mejbri are already here.

croadyman

Forgot also that Pogba will likely be leaving next summer if we don't bow down to his demands (likely imo). Though I think we might not see a need to bring in someone to replace him as VdB and maybe even Mejbri are already here.
Yeah IF Pogba was likely to be leaving this summer then almost certain there would be more talk of signing a DM/CM

bosskeano

Yeah IF Pogba was likely to be leaving this summer then almost certain there would be more talk of signing a DM/CM
I think you have no choice but to move him this summer if there is the slightest indication that he won't resign or his wage demands are too high. Would be foolish on our part to let him enter the season in his last year OR even more foolish to sign him to a 4 yr extension making 400,000 per week. There was mention that Grealish could be the target to replace Pobga if he were to be sold. I would take that and be over the moon.

I’d be happy with:

Tapsoda
Rice
Ramsey (IF juve looking to do a deal to free up wages)
Hakan calhanoglu (IF free transfer)
Trippier (IF it can be done)
Sancho

still think we could do with a new CF but it can wait till the next summer
Sancho would be ideal for this group. Trippier, while just reaching 30, is a better attacking option at RB than AWB. I just hate the idea of what it might cost to bring him back to England and if that money would hinder us from strengthening the real pressing needs. With his inability to be effective going forward, would AWB be a better CB than RB due his defensive 1v1 ability?

Hakan would add quality to the depth of the squad and give Bruno a capable replacement when needed and free would make it even better but i don't see Ramsey making that leap based on recent comments.

Not sure why everyone is so sold on Rice especially given the pricetag and i don't think he has it in his locker to be true #6. i thought he was average at best against Austria the other day.

Where did this guy Tapsoda come from in transfer rumors? never heard of him until i saw he was linked with Arsenal and that he's 6'4 and plays for leverkusen. I'm sure he's a cheaper option than Varane/Torres/Kounde.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think you have no choice but to move him this summer if there is the slightest indication that he won't resign or his wage demands are too high. Would be foolish on our part to let him enter the season in his last year OR even more foolish to sign him to a 4 yr extension making 400,000 per week. There was mention that Grealish could be the target to replace Pobga if he were to be sold. I would take that and be over the moon.

Sancho would be ideal for this group. Trippier, while just reaching 30, is a better attacking option at RB than AWB. I just hate the idea of what it might cost to bring him back to England and if that money would hinder us from strengthening the real pressing needs. With his inability to be effective going forward, would AWB be a better CB than RB due his defensive 1v1 ability?

Hakan would add quality to the depth of the squad and give Bruno a capable replacement when needed and free would make it even better but i don't see Ramsey making that leap based on recent comments.

Not sure why everyone is so sold on Rice especially given the pricetag and i don't think he has it in his locker to be true #6. i thought he was average at best against Austria the other day.

Where did this guy Tapsoda come from in transfer rumors? never heard of him until i saw he was linked with Arsenal and that he's 6'4 and plays for leverkusen. I'm sure he's a cheaper option than Varane/Torres/Kounde.
AWB is not cb, he can’t head

rice has proven himself in the bread and butter of the PL. captain material. I think people would be pleasantly surprised.

tapsoda is young but I’d prefer him as a punt than other young uns. I don’t think Torres is different enough from Lindelof who I strongly dislike. I’d rather take a punt. Plus what a cool name

Cathy Ferguson

rice has proven himself in the bread and butter of the PL. captain material. I think people would be pleasantly surprised.

tapsoda is young but I’d prefer him as a punt than other young uns. I don’t think Torres is different enough from Lindelof who I strongly dislike. I’d rather take a punt. Plus what a cool name
If Sancho is our main target then we can't afford Rice I am afraid. Those two will cost at least 160m combined and we would still be stuck with Lindelöf.

bosskeano

That's quite true, he couldn't head a beach ball which is an issue playing CB. It was just a thought given his lack of attacking threat but his defensive ability in 1v1's. I think his positional play would end up being a major concern as well much like it is now at RB with getting caught ball watching.

I've only seen bits and pieces of Rice so it's honestly hard to make a true judgement on him. I just want a guy that plays like Carrick but has the bite of Keano.

I'm not a fan of Lindelof either, he's an absolute muppet of a CB. I'm not sold on any of the CB's we've been linked with other than Varane but at what price would he be?

I'd just hate for us to bring in another young CB who may cost 20m just to sit behind Lindelof or Bailly(who's another disaster) plus having young Axel as well.

Reactions: golden_blunder

hubbuh

Transfermarkt has Oblak's contract as ending in 2023. Is that correct?! Might be an opportune moment to get him now before other teams jump in next summer.

Cathy Ferguson

Not necessarily, deals could be extended over multiple years, Chuck in players etc
Varane, Sancho and Rice would be a fantastic window and cost maybe 200m? Dalot and Lingard might generate 40m so it is not impossible. Might also sell Matic and Bailly for 20m. But we rarely do this high turnover transfer windows.

golden_blunder

Staff
Varane, Sancho and Rice would be a fantastic window and cost maybe 200m? Dalot and Lingard might generate 40m so it is not impossible. Might also sell Matic and Bailly for 20m. But we rarely do this high turnover transfer windows.
That’s the issue. Im hoping JM sees it differently and sees the benefit of 3 fresh top quality players whilst clearing the decks of those who aren’t up to scratch for whatever reason

bosskeano

That’s the issue. Im hoping JM sees it differently and sees the benefit of 3 fresh top quality players whilst clearing the decks of those who aren’t up to scratch for whatever reason
IF JM wants to really endear himself to the supporters he'll make a splash this summer and bring in 3 top class players who would either slot right into the starting XI or super subs to give us real quality in depth.

It could easily be done by simply selling Lingard, Dalot and Pogba which would be enough to bring in Grealish plus maybe a young lad at CM like Ndidi. Now you blow your lot on Sancho and Trippier to give us the type of attack we deserve to see week in and week out.

croadyman

If Sancho is our main target then we can't afford Rice I am afraid. Those two will cost at least 160m combined and we would still be stuck with Lindelöf.
We simply have to be looking at other targets outside of Rice at someone who is a 6 but is able to provide both positional sense and also progressive passing as well, otherwise we would need to buy just a DM destroyer type and a tempo controller which we have absolutely no intention of doing at all but can't afford anyway. Personally selling players like Matic & Jesse should open the door to signing a 6 but have this horrible feeling nothing will happen if Pogba stays as is looking likely

hubbuh

I really don't see the merit in splashing £70/80m to get Rice. There's better value to be had out there. Aren't we supposed to have the most far-reaching global scouting network in the world?! Utilise the cnut.

croadyman

I really don't see the merit in splashing £70/80m to get Rice. There's better value to be had out there. Aren't we supposed to have the most far-reaching global scouting network in the world?! Utilise the cnut.
Yeah it's utterly negligent not looking at players who could cost around half that on the continent

AneRu

We simply have to be looking at other targets outside of Rice at someone who is a 6 but is able to provide both positional sense and also progressive passing as well, otherwise we would need to buy just a DM destroyer type and a tempo controller which we have absolutely no intention of doing at all but can't afford anyway. Personally selling players like Matic & Jesse should open the door to signing a 6 but have this horrible feeling nothing will happen if Pogba stays as is looking likely
To be frank do we really need both of McTominay and Fred? I think, have thought so from last summer, that we should sell one of them possibly Fred and use the funds to finance the signing of a DM who can shield the defense and orchestrate play from deep. We are never proactive and that's why we are being left behind.

Even if we sign Sancho and Varane the improvement won't be enough as long as we struggle with building play from deep. It's very easy to isolate and man-mark our forwards if our midfielders aren't able to control the tempo of our play. To raise our team's level we need a RW, CB and DM of starting quality or top four and a few cup runs will remain't the ceiling of what we can achieve.

croadyman

To be frank do we really need both of McTominay and Fred? I think, have thought so from last summer, that we should sell one of them possibly Fred and use the funds to finance the signing of a DM who can shield the defense and orchestrate play from deep. We are never proactive and that's why we are being left behind.

Even if we sign Sancho and Varane the improvement won't be enough as long as we struggle with building play from deep. It's very easy to isolate and man-mark our forwards if our midfielders aren't able to control the tempo of our play. To raise our team's level we need a RW, CB and DM of starting quality or top four and a few cup runs will remain't the ceiling of what we can achieve.
Yeah totally agree that we should sacrifice one of them rather than just keep making do in that area for another season

BorisManUtd

Trippier, Sancho, a CB and DM and I'll be happy. Last 2 would probably depend on player sales though.

Silas

Sancho, Varane, Locatelli, Trippier.

Top options and would come at a great price overall, considering each of their situations. Include player sales and it's definitely affordable.

The Irish Connection

Top options and would come at a great price overall, considering each of their situations. Include player sales and it's definitely affordable.
this is exactly my thought too. I think Locatelli could be great and much better value than Rice.
Try for Haaland then next year.

Cathy Ferguson

I would gladly sell Pogba for a meagre 30m. He can't play in a midfield two and is very difficult to accomodate into our lineup. Graelish would be a much more useful player, but would be very expensive of course.

croadyman

Could do with a DM stepping out of the pack in these euros but then the problem is that increases their price, however it feels like it might be the only way for Utd to see that there are options outside of Rice in this position

jesperjaap

ABsolutely dont need both in my opinion. But looking at what we do need and who we should sell. Age/money/squad building wise there are quite a few players and better players at that, who I would sell ahead of them. I think Fred should be moved on, but in the short term of another season I think there is more value for him to remain in the squad numbers wise whilst others are sold, feel similar about Martial up front for another season too though I wouldnt miss either of them

Marcus

I like this. Could we add Hakan in (free) and Pogba and reluctantly VDB out? I am mindful that some players of actual value will need to be sold to balance the books. Hakan can be the more like for like attacking passing midfielder who can give Bruno a rest now and then.

Last edited:

Mylock

Achievable transfers this summer are the following

Cristian Romero 40 m, or Torres 40 m
Locatelli 40 m, or Bossumo 40 m
Sancho 77m
trippier swap with Dalot
De gea / olbak swap plus 20 m
Grealish 85 m (if pogba leaves)

Sell
Lingard 25 m
De gea
Matic 5m
Pereria 5m
Bailly 20 m
Dalot
Jones free
Williams 10 m
James 20 m
Pogba 85 m

I would like to highlight that I haven't watch Romero in a live game, but he has looked impressive on YouTube and has been voted best CB in Italy. Very impressed with Torres, but not sure has he the pace. We will know after the euros.
I watched Locatelli a few times for Italy and was very impressed with how he dominates the DM role, a great passer. He could be a star in the euros if Italy gets a run. Bossumo looks like a younger version of Kante, and he could move up to the next level at United.
Oblak would be a game-changer; this deal makes a lot of sense from United's point of view but not sure if athletio would agree.

Last edited:

Cman

That would be a fantastic window