What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

diarm

Liverpool surged forwards because they added Van Dijk and Allison.

I'd agree to an extent that the 433 they switched to was more effective than lining up with Coutinho slowing play down in the 10 role, but that had far less of an impact on their turn in fortunes than fixing up the defence did.

daba

After seeing Locatelli run the show yesterday and very loosely following him the season, I can’t help but feel he’s the perfect Matic replacement. Although he’s not an outright DM, in the 4231 pivot that Ole seems to love, I think he would be quality.

In dreamland, I’d love to see these incomings over the next few seasons.

2021:
Sancho
Locatelli
C Romero

2022:
Haaland

2023:
Bellingham

2023/24 XI:

Henderson

AWB
Maguire
Romero
Shaw

Bellingham
Locatelli

Sancho
Bruno
Rashford

Haaland

Obviously there would some further additions along the way depending on outgoings (eg. Hendo/DDG replacement, Fred upgrade etc) and Greenwood and Amad could easily force their way in ahead of Rashford, but as a starting XI to build towards this would be a dream.

Simple really. Or have I been playing too much Football Manager?

croadyman

After seeing Locatelli run the show yesterday and very loosely following him the season, I can’t help but feel he’s the perfect Matic replacement. Although he’s not an outright DM, in the 4231 pivot that Ole seems to love, I think he would be quality.

In dreamland, I’d love to see these incomings over the next few seasons.

2021:
Sancho
Locatelli
C Romero

2022:
Haaland

2023:
Bellingham

2023/24 XI:

Henderson

AWB
Maguire
Romero
Shaw

Bellingham
Locatelli

Sancho
Bruno
Rashford

Haaland
))O

Obviously there would some further additions along the way depending on outgoings (eg. Hendo/DDG replacement, Fred upgrade etc) and Greenwood and Amad could easily force their way in ahead of Rashford, but as a starting XI to build towards this would be a dream.

Simple really. Or have I been playing too much Football Manager?
Will go Varane (highly unlikely though) DM good on the ball and Jadon, would throw Trippier in there but certainly not for the figures that Atletico seem to want for him so happy to use Laird/Dalot as a backup RB until we can find value

Last edited:

daba

Will go Varane (highly unlikely though) any DM good on the ball and Jadon, would throw Trippier in there but certainly not for the figures that Atletico seem to want for him so happy to use Laird/Dalot as a backup RB until we can find value
Okay yeah, dreamland would be Varane (more of a known quantity than Romero) and again would like to see a back-up to AWB like Trippier. But the quoted £40m+ for Trippier is insane and I can’t see us going near that.

jesperjaap

Never happening and unrealistic of course, in a dream world this is what I would do.....yes its full football manager. What this is highlighting really is we have so may players that can be used in part exchange/swaps/funding to buy players this summer....in all honesty, are any of them major losses, only argment really is over Pogba, the problem is they wont of course, be surprised if a third of them actually leave. Also highlighting, there IS value in the market too in certain positions I believe. If we do half these kind of deals it would be a great summer.

Dalot + £15m part exchange for ROmagnoli

Sell Bailly/Jones/Williams to fund Romero

Sell Lingard/Matic/Pereira to fund Zakaria

Sell VDB/James/Chong to fund Camavinga

Tuanzabe + £70m part exchange Grealish

Sell pogba/Martial to fund Sancho

£30m buy Ronaldo

£115m net spend

DeGea
Bissaka
Romero
Maguire
Shaw
Zakaria
Camavinga
Fernandes
Grealish
Sancho
ROnaldo

Henderson
Laird
Romagnoli
Lindelof
Telles
Fred
McTominay
Hannibal
Rashford
Greenwood
Cavani

Heaton, Elanga, Amad, Garner and SHoetire make up the squad

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Never happening and unrealistic of course, in a dream world this is what I would do.....yes its full football manager. What this is highlighting really is we have so may players that can be used in part exchange/swaps/funding to buy players this summer....in all honesty, are any of them major losses, only argment really is over Pogba, the problem is they wont of course, be surprised if a third of them actually leave. Also highlighting, there IS value in the market too in certain positions I believe. If we do half these kind of deals it would be a great summer.

Dalot + £15m part exchange for ROmagnoli

Sell Bailly/Jones/Williams to fund Romero

Sell Lingard/Matic/Pereira to fund Zakaria

Sell VDB/James/Chong to fund Camavinga

Tuanzabe + £70m part exchange Grealish

Sell pogba/Martial to fund Sancho

£30m buy Ronaldo

£115m net spend

DeGea
Bissaka
Romero
Maguire
Shaw
Zakaria
Camavinga
Fernandes
Grealish
Sancho
ROnaldo

Henderson
Laird
Romagnoli
Lindelof
Telles
Fred
McTominay
Hannibal
Rashford
Greenwood
Cavani

Heaton, Elanga, Amad, Garner and SHoetire make up the squad
Wait, is Romero free now?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How exactly could Varane play alongside Maguire at centre half?

Varane likes to play somewhere along the half way line whereas Harry favours about 10 yards from the penalty area.

It’s a match made somewhere in hell and if we sign Varane it should be to replace Harry, not to play with him.

sdb4884

Honestly what the hell are we doing? I see we are after Sancho and that's fine but look at all the other clubs already finalizing moves whilst we are still stuck in purgatory. Hopefully we will see some movement in the next few weeks and I'm not meaning Tom Heaton.

bosskeano

Honestly what the hell are we doing? I see we are after Sancho and that's fine but look at all the other clubs already finalizing moves whilst we are still stuck in purgatory. Hopefully we will see some movement in the next few weeks and I'm not meaning Tom Heaton.
The two prices being quoted for Trippier and Varane are way out of line given the age of Trippier and the Varane only having one year left on his contract and apparently won't renew.

There are plenty of alternatives at RB out there like Aarons, Lamptey, Dumfries who would be much cheaper options and much younger.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Varane as he's arguably the best CB that is available, IMO. The only other option is Koulibaly(age and price tag) or Akanji(dealing with Dortmund again)

LuckyScout78

New edit. I come close and short it down to last two. If only pick one. I am considering between those players.

CB options :

Tiago Djalo. A Sporting Lisboa academy and Portugal product vs Edmond Tabsoba from Bayer Leverkusen. I discovered Tabsoba first. Then Tiago Djalo few months later. Djalo definitely has the temperament. The confrontation against Neymar. You are not bully this boy. Djalo is a versatile player. Physical strong, aggressive and explosive. Calm and composure with the ball. Same as Tabsoba. Composure with the ball, but aggressive when pressing.
I think it’s not big difference between those 2 players. Tabsoba is maybe a bit more experience. But Djalo can be like Fofana from Leicester. Djalo is definitely good enough for top 4/5 in premier league. Credit for finishing above PSG and won the league with Lille.
Then we can compare about the MV :
TD 5 mill euro vs ET 40 mill euro. A player review. I think both defensively and offensively Djalo can deliver what Tabsoba can do. And for 5 mill euro contra 40 mill euro. Djalo will definitely be a lesser risk buy and at same time. Djalo MV can rise a lot more. Easily over 30 mill euro. Example Djalo replace Jose Fonte and play in ch.league for Lille. If he does well for Lille in ch.league. Then his MV will easily rise over 30 mill euro

Conclusion is : I would go for Djalo. More value for money, lesser risk and equal good as Tabsoba. Even I still rate Tabsoba as a really good aNd upcoming CB. But again. If I only have to pick one. Right now. I will go Djalo. And even everything can change about 6-12 months. But both of those two have a consistent mood and good mentality. I don’t think they will drop much in form. But just develop to a better player.

CM. More all round and creative/offensive. Short down to last two : A really difficult one. Only pick one.

Manuel Locatelli vs Aurélien Djani Tchouaméni

Manuel Locatelli is more skillful and better without the ball, even he tackles a lot too. But this boy is a baller and love to have the ball a lot. Elegance player with the ball.

The other is the French upcoming all round cm player. Fit, athletic, easy on the toes. Explosive in the first meters. Maybe not good on the ball like Locatelli. But his natural physical make him might suit more in Premier league. I haven’t read the stat. But i think he is covering more area than Locatelli.

Ideally those two would make a really strong CM duo together. Like this :

Raphinha - Tchouaméni - Locatelli - Sancho + Bruno + Rashford/Greenwood. The perfect 6 combination and line up. A fantasy and dream team.

And MV comparison :
AT 30 mill euro vs ML 35 mill euro. Not big difference.

But like CB options. Only pick one. From what I think. And from what I have seen. And what I feel. Really difficult to choose between Locatelli and Tchouameni. I think the full packet as a player. I would go for Tchouameni. If I only choose. Only on skill with the ball. I would choose Locatelli. But Tchouameni explosive and his physical, the full packet. Reasons why i will choose him over Locatelli.

But if Pogba leaving and Matic retire really soon. Two cm players out. Then ideally = Tchouameni & Locatelli

RW & Wide players. Seem like United would go for Sancho.

Sum up and conclusion:

New players:

CB/RB/DM = Tiago Djalo from Lille. French champion. MV 5 mill euro

CM All round = Aurélien Djani Tchouaméni. Monaco. He was helping a poor Monaco to ch.league football in his first full season with Monaco . MV 30 mill euro

RW & Wide player = Jadon Sancho. MV not sure.

Line them up :

Bissaka/Djalo - Lindelof/Djalo - Maguire - Shaw

Sancho/Diallo - Tchouaméni/McTom - Pogba/Fred - Rashford/Martial/James + Bruno/DVB + Greenwood/Cavani

There you have. But again if Pogba leaving. Locatelli is what United need, the creative and offensive cm player.

I think I have come to my last conclusion. Not so many really good cm beside Locatelli in Euro 2020. A cm close to top level. Like Bayer Munich Joshua Kimmich.
So beside Sancho. Tiago Djalo and Aurélien Djani Tchouaméni are mine recommendations. Beside Locatelli and Tabsoba I compare and head them up. To make it difficult as possible. Yeah, those are mine 4 last options. Short down to 4. 2 on each position. Alternatives options. ;)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In:
  • Sancho 80m
  • Locatelli 50m
  • Varane 50m
  • RB depth (or keep Dalot)
Out:
  • Pogba - 70m (or swap with Varane)
  • De Gea/Henderson (don't care either one)
  • Lingard - 30m
  • Pereira - anything
  • Dalot - 15m
  • Random other dead wood
  • Possibly Martial or James

gorky_utd

In:
Sancho 85 m
Pau 50 m
Tielemans 60 m
Isaak 40 m

Out:
Pogba 60 m
Bailly 10 m
Lingard 20 m
Martial 40 m

jesperjaap

Liverpool sold Coutinho, which allowed them to surge forward. I love Pogba the footballer but we may need to set him free to let us surge forward.
Liverpool surged forwards because they added Van Dijk and Allison.

I'd agree to an extent that the 433 they switched to was more effective than lining up with Coutinho slowing play down in the 10 role, but that had far less of an impact on their turn in fortunes than fixing up the defence did.
Think you are both right if you put the two quotes together. Liverpool didnt surge forward from letting Coutinho go. They moved forward from quality quisitions, several with Van Dijk and Allison beign the missing pieces. Of course a lot of these purchases were funded from the huge sale of Coutinho.

And this for me is a huge part of what we need to do.

We simply cant buy for all the positions we need, even if we buy only one big purchase and use value in the market from other purchases.

If we are to really move forward the next level, we need to bolster our transfer kitty from riasing money from sales. This is also the right time to do it as we have had a good season, are progressing, yet there are still so many players raising debate, from the keeper, back up defenders, central midfielders, big players on paper such as VDB, Pogba and Martial.

I really think from the deadwood through to the likes of Pogba and Martial.....we have a good £250m of potentially expendable players. Obviously we arent goin gto sell the 15 or so I could list and neither should we.......but I genuinely think there are 8-10 that we should be and without listing them and getting into the arguments of players values.....that would raise for me the kind of fees that would buy us two marquee players alone.....actualyl Im saying all this and just realised I posted pretty much all the playes I would get rid of a couple of posts earlier in an ideal world haha

GueRed

to actually WIN the league we probably need four first teamers.

A top centre-back, centre-midfielder, right-winger and centre-forward...

fat chance all that happening in one transfer window though.

lex talionis

Think you are both right if you put the two quotes together. Liverpool didnt surge forward from letting Coutinho go. They moved forward from quality quisitions, several with Van Dijk and Allison beign the missing pieces. Of course a lot of these purchases were funded from the huge sale of Coutinho.

And this for me is a huge part of what we need to do.

We simply cant buy for all the positions we need, even if we buy only one big purchase and use value in the market from other purchases.

If we are to really move forward the next level, we need to bolster our transfer kitty from riasing money from sales. This is also the right time to do it as we have had a good season, are progressing, yet there are still so many players raising debate, from the keeper, back up defenders, central midfielders, big players on paper such as VDB, Pogba and Martial.

I really think from the deadwood through to the likes of Pogba and Martial.....we have a good £250m of potentially expendable players. Obviously we arent goin gto sell the 15 or so I could list and neither should we.......but I genuinely think there are 8-10 that we should be and without listing them and getting into the arguments of players values.....that would raise for me the kind of fees that would buy us two marquee players alone.....actualyl Im saying all this and just realised I posted pretty much all the playes I would get rid of a couple of posts earlier in an ideal world haha
My apologies. I didn’t mean to suggest that Coutinho performed poorly for Liverpool, thus letting him allowed Liverpool surged forward after they sold him. What I meant was that the funds they collected from his sale allowed Liverpool purchase great players. Basically, everything you state.

But I wouldn’t put Pogba in the deadwood category. Deadwood are players like Jones. Pogba is arguably our best player, but he clearly downshifts when he’s frustrated that everything around him is a Glazerian joke.

jesperjaap

My apologies. I didn’t mean to suggest that Coutinho performed poorly for Liverpool, thus letting him allowed Liverpool surged forward after they sold him. What I meant was that the funds they collected from his sale allowed Liverpool purchase great players. Basically, everything you state.

But I wouldn’t put Pogba in the deadwood category. Deadwood are players like Jones. Pogba is arguably our best player, but he clearly downshifts when he’s frustrated that everything around him is a Glazerian joke.
I see, thought you meant more change of play. And no Pogba isnt in dead wood catergory at all, like Coutinho he is our most talented player arguably. Without going in to all the pros and cons, he simply doesnt warrant a new contact of £400k a week from his time here and we certainly shouldnt be keeping a player to run down there contract, that is the single biggest reason he should be sold amongst many in my opinion that I cant see how another opinion can be justified personally

Jacob

to actually WIN the league we probably need four first teamers.

A top centre-back, centre-midfielder, right-winger and centre-forward...

fat chance all that happening in one transfer window though.
Sancho, Varane, Mejbri, Cavani

Or swap Varane for Ramos & Locatelli.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In:
Sancho
Trippier
Mejbri
Garner
Varane

Out:
De Gea
Lingard
Pereira
Jones

My preference normally is for younger players to arrive, but I feel the arrival of Varane and Trippier could potentially help Willy Kambwala (who is regarded as a huge talent for the CB role) and Ethan Laird who could learn alot from their more experienced counterparts in the coming years. Varane especially would be a great mentor for young Kambwala due to his CV/resume which has seen him win the biggest prizes in the game.

justsomebloke

With everything that's being written on what's happening om the transfer front, maybe it's useful to try and sum up the picture that's being painted. Of course, it may very well be the case that the reality is different.

In goal, Tom Heaton is coming in. A decision on next season's No 1 seems to still be pending. It's been announced that OGS will sit down with De Gea, presumably after the Euros. It seems unlikely that we would go into next season with both Henderson and De Gea still in Manchester. If we go with De Gea, then I would assume we try to move Henderson rather than send him out on loan. You'd think there'd be significant interest, and for a notable fee. If we go with Henderson, which seems more plausible, then De Gea's monster contract would make a loan more likely, in which case I think we'd be lucky to recoup his wages, never mind a loan fee.

In central defence, we seem to be serious about Varane, which would imply a fee somewhere in the 40-60 million range. Reports also of serious interest in Pau Torres, and reportedly rejected bids for Romero and Milenkovic. A loan move for Tuanzebe is being talked about. That would leave Bailly as the no4 CB, which might be problematic given that he recently signed a new contract and was given promises about playing time.

On RB, there seems to be real interest in Kieran Trippier, but Atletico is so far pricing him out. Should they move down to a valuation in the 20m range, it seems possible United might be interested. There's been no other reports that I have seen about interest in other RBs. It seems possible though that Dalot may be brought back to fill that role if Milan persists in not seeking a transfer, in which case Brandon Williams reportedly is being considered for a loan move, with several PL clubs interested.

In Central midfield, Pogbas future is still unclear. There will be an obvious need to move him if an extension can't be agreed, but nothing at all on how urgently the club needs clarity on that. There's been reports of United interest in Saul Niguez, Declan Rice and a West African player currently in Egypt whose name eludes me. Also, reports of interest from several PL clubs in Locatelli, without specific mention of United. But nothing very serious appears to be happening on this front at the moment, as far as is known.

In the forward line, it now seems very likely that the Sancho signing will finally happen. There seems hope that Lazio might take Pereira, either on loan or through a transfer. Lingard apparently has expressed a preference for staying at United, but unclear if that is being actively considered. Also unclear if Pellistri will brough back to the squad, but he has a preference for another year on loan.

Up front, there are reports of Martials agent being told to look for another club, but nothing specific.

In summation, on the basis of the info out there, it looks like we maybe can expect, at least:

- realignment of some sort in goal
- a new CB
- Sancho in on the right wing

Which wouldn't be too bad I guess. If indeed it goes down.

croadyman

Sancho, Varane/Torres, backup RB & DLP to replace Pogba, fully expecting the last one to be next summer as certain that Paul will just run down his contract and next summer will also be about getting a ST to replace Edi as well.

Last edited:

lex talionis

In:
Sancho
Trippier
Mejbri
Garner
Varane

Out:
De Gea
Lingard
Pereira
Jones

My preference normally is for younger players to arrive, but I feel the arrival of Varane and Trippier could potentially help Willy Kambwala (who is regarded as a huge talent for the CB role) and Ethan Laird who could learn alot from their more experienced counterparts in the coming years. Varane especially would be a great mentor for young Kambwala due to his CV/resume which has seen him win the biggest prizes in the game.
This looks about right to me, though I'm not sure about De Gea Out (De Gea .> Henderson...and who would pick up Dave's contract?) Sancho and Varane would be massive, you could say transformational, acquisitions that would bring us within arm's length of City. Bring up the youngsters knocking on the door. And pray that we abandon the idiot zonal marking on set pieces that a even a blind monkey could see we can't master.

The massive wild card is Pogba. I'd be delighted if he stayed but if he does leave an instant upgrade is available by the name of Jack Grealish -- but we can't wait until the last minute of the summer transfer to deal with Pogba's future.

bucky

Sancho, if not then Nkunku
Fabian Ruiz or Locatelli to replace Pogba
Cheick Doucouré to replace Matic
Trippier or Dubois as competition for AWB
one of Tapsoba, Romero or Koundé, if Varane doesn't happen

Grealish is unfortunately a pipe dream, even if I would love us to sign him and Sancho. If history repeats itself and we don't sign Sancho, then I think we should turn our attention to Nkunku from Leipzig, who is very versatile and would fit in well with Ole's approach. Ideally, I would want us to upgrade on Fred or McTominay as the pressing/ball winning type of midfielder next to our playmaker, but I don't think that's likely. IMO Fabian Ruiz and Locatelli are easily the two best choices for the playmaking type of role and they would fit in better than Pogba in a midfield 2. This is on all on the assumption that Pogba won't sign a new contragt and we are forced to sell.

Van de Beek I do like, but I am not sure, how he fits in with us, nor do I think he's going to have a massive turnaround like we are all hoping for. If anything, if he improves, the best from him could be something like on the same level as Fred, which I don''t think is good enough as a starter. Obviously wouldn't mind to be proven wrong here. He clearly doesn't work as a squad player though, and we have other players who could fill that role better. With that being saig, I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba stays and van de Beek will be used more in a deeper role and we won't sign anyone in midfield, which would be a mistake in my eyes.

Cheick Doucouré might be the value in the market signing, but even if we had an unlimited amount of money to spend, I'd think he is an ideal player to go for and to replace Matic.

the_answer

We need a strong spine.

As you can see in the Euros, the central spine of DM, CM, AM is extremely important. When you dominate the centre, you win, its that simple.
McFred is simply not good enough (good enough for PL midtable at most).

So splurge the money and get one of the likes of Danilo, Bentancour, Locatelli, Sabitzer... not Declan Rice.

We gotta learn from Liverpool. They identified their clear weaknesses (goalkeeper and CB) and were not scared to invest heavily to get the best money can buy. They didnt settle and got rewarded.

Knightmare7

United’s needs are evident by now:

RW
DM
CF/ST
CB
RB
CM

Out of those, Sancho solves RW, we lack DM options, the CF/ST issue is moot for another year with Cavani/Greenwood, Varane would solve CB, and then RB and CM are just about finding value. If we can lock in Sancho and Varane, and get that depth at RB, I’m ecstatic about this window. We won’t have overspent, we’ll have massively upgraded 2 of our starting XI, and we’ll have solidified our depth.

That would just leave truly finding a world class finisher, establishing a stronger midfield, and dropping in more depth (through the academy hopefully) over the next year or two. Very happy with how close we are

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Feck it. Let’s go old school 442 to win the league

Buy
sancho
Coman
Locatelli
A cheap CB like Tarkowski or the lad from Fiorentina

sell or release
Lingard
Jones
Matic
Mata
martial
Pogba

loan
DeGea
Williams
Tuanzebe

henderson
Awb (Dalot) - Maguire (tarkowski) - Lindelof (Bailly) - Shaw (Telles)

coman (Sancho) - locatelli (DvB) - Fred (McT) - Sancho (James)

Bruno (Rashford)

cavani (Greenwood)

Pogba sold because he’s ran he contract down and it’s hard to fit him into most formations

one more chance for Lindelof

new striker next summer

integrate Diallo, Elanga, Hannibal, Garner, Shoretire

we are coming down with fresh talent; plenty of wing opportunities in a 442

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If we prioritise a centre back along with Sancho and a half decent defensive midfielder it’d transform the team. Definitely think a centre back is the number one priority, you can see how much of a difference it makes to the whole team having a solid pairing. Maguire and Stones looked great together but Dias looking a lot more shaky alongside Pepe

CR1

MAN UTD SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2021

There are three positions that should be addressed first of all:

- Fast CB that will allow to play a higher line: Varane or Koulibaly
- Attacking RB that will provide more width on the right: Aarons
- Dominant CDM that will allow for two AMs instead of just one: Bissouma, Rice or Zakaria

It then becomes a question of what happens with Pogba and Martial. Personally I think it's clear that both want to leave so I would simply let them and replace them with:

- AM: Grealish
- Third choice ST: Ings, King, Koita or Brobbey

Sell: Romero, Jones, Dalot, Matic, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Chong, Pogba, Martial
Loan out: Williams, Laird, Mengi, Fish, Galbraith, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Shoretire, Pellistri, Hugill, McNeil and others

You then start the season with the following first and second choice elevens:

GREALISH Cavani James
Fernandes BISSOUMA McTominay
Shaw VARANE Maguire AARONS
Henderson

Elanga Greenwood Amad
Vdb Fred Galbraith
Telles Tuanzebe Lindelof Awb
Ddg

After midseason Rashford comes back and Galbraith goes out on loan so you finish the season with the following first and second choice elevens:

Rashford Cavani Amad
GREALISH BISSOUMA Fernandes
Shaw VARANE Maguire AARONS
Henderson

Elanga Greenwood James
Vdb Fred McTominay
Telles Tuanzebe Lindelof Awb
Ddg

Squad players: Heaton, Bailly, Ings/King/Koita/Brobbey

Regarding the budget:

Romero, Jones, Dalot, Matic, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, Chong, Pogba, Martial
= + 140 million

Varane, Aarons, Bissouma, Grealish, King
= - 200 million

So a 60 million net spend, leaving space for more in case sales end up bringing in less and/or signings end up costing more.

Additional comments:

- Lots of the Academy players will get minutes and gain experience in this set up, whether as part of the first team and/or on loan, and then they will become ready to challenge for a first team spot. Mengi, Galbraith, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri Hugill, McNeil and Elanga are probably the ones the furthest ahead in that respect right now

- As regards to Elanga, he will effectively be the second choice LF the entire season in this set-up which could see him get maybe 15-20 starts plus substitute appearence, which IMO could be better for him than going out on loan where there is never a guarantee that he will get enough minutes in his preferred position.

- James starts the season as the first choice RF/RW on account of his pace, work rate, pressing, tracking back and ability to put in good crosses for Cavani. When you've got players like Grealish and Fernandes in the side you need players like James as well, for balance. Amad then takes over as first choice and James becomes second choice.

- If you sign King you can have him replace Greenwood as the second choice ST in some games, moving Greenwood to RF and Amad to the bench. Signing Aarons as RB will provide the width and technical ability for Greewood to play off of, cutting in to his left and shooting with his left foot.

- I still believe in Tuanzebe could be the long term CB and would start the season as the fourth choice option for a position where there are two spots, meaning he would have plenty of opportunities. He's got all the attributes, as does Bailly (minus the ball-playing ability), but we still need Varane or Koulibaly to come in for now. Five CBs for two positions is a good pool.

- As a whole I think the above squad would be good enough to challenge for the PL and CL. Especially if, as should be the case, Cavani only plays a maximum of 90 minutes per week and is rested for all the big games. Greenwood and King or whoever comes in as the third choice ST are the back-ups/cover, with Rashford, Elanga and James also being able to fill in there in case occasionally. Furthermore, Fernandes can play as a false 9 as well so I wouldn't worry too much about goals. City won the PL and reached the CL final without a recognized first choice and regular ST, I think.

- I know Brobbey has reportedly gone to Leipzig, but I read there was an issue with his contract so maybe he's still available although I'm not sure. Think he would bring someting as the third choice ST. Ings, King and Koita are the other options.

- Henderson should play most PL games and Ddg most CL and other cup games, though there should be alternating so both get a good amount of games.

- Wouldn't be opposed to Mata and Matic staying another season as squad players if they want to

The above is what I think should happen.

The below is what I think will happen:

- Varane
- Trippier
- CDM (not sure who)
- Sancho

+ Pogba staying

Still pretty good but probably not quite good enough, although it depends on who the CDM is.

Last edited:

Pikhoft

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes hello Pikhoft here. You guys need to buy Kokcu, he is a world class talent at our club, ready to take the next step. Will cost about 25 miljoen euro's.

lenny_1248

The below is what I think will happen:

- Varane
- Trippier
- CDM (not sure who)
- Sancho

+ Pogba staying

Still pretty good but probably not quite good enough, although it depends on who the CDM is.
Are you kidding?) This would be fecking awesome.

croadyman

Feel like a summer of Jadon, Varane & prospect CDM could work but honestly feel we need a starter in that position too, gut feeling is that the Trippier stuff will only pick up if Atletico lower the price tag which looks highly unlikely

honirelandboy

I think we are going to have to go 4-3-3.

I'm actually happy with the goalkeeper and defense. So the three in midfield would be Pogba LCM Bruno RCM and one new world class player in CM.

For the forwards it would be Grealish Left, Sancho Right and start transitioning Rashford and Greenwood into Center forwards.

The money is there for Sancho and a new center midfielder. I think its time to see if we can shift on the likes of Martial, Lingard, Andreas, Dan James, Andreas etc to raise the money for Grealish.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think we are going to have to go 4-3-3.

I'm actually happy with the goalkeeper and defense. So the three in midfield would be Pogba LCM Bruno RCM and one new world class player in CM.

For the forwards it would be Grealish Left, Sancho Right and start transitioning Rashford and Greenwood into Center forwards.

The money is there for Sancho and a new center midfielder. I think its time to see if we can shift on the likes of Martial, Lingard, Andreas, Dan James, Andreas etc to raise the money for Grealish.
Selling Andreas twice, sneak tactic!

KD6-3.7

I’m starting to get worried because it looks like we aren’t going in for a CDM. We quite honestly can’t go into another season with McTominay and Fred as starters if we want to see any serious improvements.

bosskeano

To be fair, Dan James has been quite good for Wales this summer in the Euros.

Lingard, Matic, Andreas, Jones, Bailly, Martial.....that whole lot can go and get as much as you can as you knock their 6 wages packets off the bill and only one of them, Martial, has been a guy who's played more than 20 games in a season over the past two years.

kirk buttercup

I’m starting to get worried because it looks like we aren’t going in for a CDM. We quite honestly can’t go into another season with McTominay and Fred as starters if we want to see any serious improvements.
I know alot dont rate Rice on here but I would like to see him Signed the protection he gives the back 4 is brilliant. Lingard + Cash .

A Good Transfer window that puts us In Contention for me is

Sancho
Varane
Rice ( Lingard + Cash )

If somehow we could add Grealish too I think we become some force next season. I know its unlikely but that to me makes us real contenders.

KD6-3.7

I know alot dont rate Rice on here but I would like to see him Signed the protection he gives the back 4 is brilliant. Lingard + Cash .

A Good Transfer window that puts us In Contention for me is

Sancho
Varane
Rice ( Lingard + Cash )

If somehow we could add Grealish too I think we become some force next season. I know its unlikely but that to me makes us real contenders.
I haven’t really watched Rice enough to form an opinion but the price West Ham want for him does seem a little steep.

Pavl3n

Summer 21

IN:
- Sancho 78m
- Varane (hope it's him) / CB 55m
- RB Back up 20m
SOLD:
- Pereira (loan with sell-on) 1m loan fee + ?m option
- Dalot (same) 1m loan fee + ?m option
- Chong (could be loan/loan with sell-on) peanuts
- Lingard 25m
- De Gea (could also be a loan/loan with sell-on) 25m
LOANED:
- Mengi
- Elanga
- Pellistri
- Tuanzebe
- Williams
- Laird
- Shoretire
- Mejbri
- Fish
Spent: 153 m
Sold: 52 m
NET: 101 m

Garner is a curious case. Pogba and Mata will renew.

Summer 22

IN:
- Striker
- DM
SOLD:
- James 20m
- Bailly/Tuanzebe 15/20m
- Scot/Fred 15/20m
- Martial 35m

That's the most obvious transfer activity we could have in my opinion.