What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Luke1995

Daniel Alves is currently a free agent. When you see the impact Thiago Silva had at Chelsea its not crazy to think even at 38 Alves would improve us.

TSE123

Im not certain theres a huge change needed for United to be successfull.

A CDM where positioning is flawless and who is able to pass and has a good work rate (quite a list) could change everything. One of those midfielders who you dont necessarily see and who dont provide the statistics that can be measured but who holds the whole team together.

It would stop the midfield from sitting right on top of defence or ending up way to far up the pitch.
It would solve the rest of the teams positioning.
United could win some balls BEFORE it comes into danger areas.

I think a key defensive midfielder like Kantè or Kimmich could change it all. Neither Fred nor McT has what it takes. Matic is closest to being able to play this role but a bit slow.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We don't need anything. The quality of the squad isn't the reason why we're underperforming. Our squad is stacked. Matic should be replacement with a similar player and maybe Dalot ends up not cutting it as a backup RB, but that's about it really.

We haven't been so close to having a perfect, complete squad since Fergie. We literally have 2 class options for nearly every position.

Lee565

The transfer forum shouldn't be touched until we get a new manager, it ain't going to make little difference who we sign in the next window if we still have a out of his league bottler manager in charge of the team.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Answer: everyone and anyone! A much serious issue is what is going on behind the scenes, particularly at youth and academy levels. We never found out why Nicky Butt up and left so suddenly. I fear there is a huge sickness at the heart of the club and may be the reason we have such an inexperienced manager

daba

If the current state of things continue, we honestly wouldn’t be doing too bad in getting Brendan in. He’s no Klopp or Guardiola, but there’s no clear generational manager out that is attainable right now, so until the next one comes along in the coming years, I don’t think we would be doing badly in getting Brendan in.

Players wise I would be all over Haaland, but assuming the likely case that we don’t get him, I wouldn’t mind seeing this:

In:

Rice/Tielemans/Kessie (pick two)
Ricardo Pereira (next summer only 1y left)

Out:

Pogba
Martial
Fred
(Plus others…)

As much I will always love OGS, with a more rounded and balanced squad, no shoe horning Pogba in places he shouldn’t be, and with Brendan at the wheel, I fancy our chances a hell of a lot more than I do with the current set-up.

Reactions: golden_blunder

jesperjaap

Manager and coaching - Coachin gis easily replaced bu tmanager timing again looks off. Klopp and Nagelsmann both looked the perfect appointment at times and we failed, now Conte isnt the right fit, is Zidane even interested in the premiership....who else reall is there available?

Clear out - There are a good 10-15 players should be moved on or will leave anyway this summer

RB - I was against the Tripper signing and still nto sure, would liek to see Laird given an opportunity in the squad. I still have faither in Bissaka but feel he needs competition for his place from an offensive full back like a Laird or Lamptey who both give competition an ddifferent options

CB - Yes crazy as it sounds, I feel most of our cb should be moved on so Maguire and Varane need better cover and competition, wether that be an experienced free like Romagnoli or a big young siging like Fofana....or if we clear out properly...both

CM - We need two, not one of our cm is good enough either by age, discipline and intelligece or ability. McTominay is the only one Im happy with....as a squad player. Would also like Hannibal to get opportunities either there or as back up to Fernandes

Attackin wise when Cavani leaves I woul dlike Greenwood moved up front to compete with Ronaldo and the competition for Rashford and Sancho can come from Elanga, Pellestri and Amad.

So basically signings wise what we need is pretty much what we needed in the summer anyway both inwards and outwards

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve come into threads like these every summer for years with the same answer of ‘we need a fecking clue’. The bar has long been raised and we will be left on the sidelines until we as a club get with the program.

@Ali Dia remember our conversation from the summer when you asked me if I was excited about us going after the likes of Sancho, Varane and Camavinga? I recall getting stick for being some sort of killjoy, but I said at the bery beginning of the window that no signings will particularly get me excited. When will people learn? We’ve broken every transfer record multiple times in the last decade, signed some of the best players money can buy, yet we end up in the recurring conversation of who then replaces those players. Our rivals, for a long time, have been often signing cheaper and less heralded players and extracting greater results than we can manage. Again and again.

We need a plan and direction as a team. Playing personnel is actually the last part of the puzzle. These players need to have something to come in to first and foremost.

TheGame

The squad is in a bloated and horrendous state. We seem to have around 9 players competing for 3 positions up front and no one is competing with Bruno. This in turn is stopping any youngsters having a sniff around the first team because there is no space on the bench. Just horrendous squad and transfer management.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve come into threads like these every summer for years with the same answer of ‘we need a fecking clue’. The bar has long been raised and we will be left on the sidelines until we as a club get with the program.

@Ali Dia remember our conversation from the summer when you asked me if I was excited about us going after the likes of Sancho, Varane and Camavinga? I recall getting stick for being some sort of killjoy, but I said at the bery beginning of the window that no signings will particularly get me excited. When will people learn? We’ve broken every transfer record multiple times in the last decade, signed some of the best players money can buy, yet we end up in the recurring conversation of who then replaces those players. Our rivals, for a long time, have been often signing cheaper and less heralded players and extracting greater results than we can manage. Again and again.

We need a plan and direction as a team. Playing personnel is actually the last part of the puzzle. These players need to have something to come in to first and foremost.
I totally agree now. I was ole in until Leicester. Put money on us as a live chance in the league at the start of the season. Pah! We badly need a system and to stay at the cutting edge of tactics and recruitment. The United way is dead. Liverpool aren’t winning again using the Liverpool way. It’s fully embracing modern advances and being on the cutting edge. If we put our substantial financial muscle towards that instead of chasing big names I think we’d see a genuine improvement. Keep hiring coaches who are forward thinking.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

And a DM.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Manager and coaching - Coachin gis easily replaced bu tmanager timing again looks off. Klopp and Nagelsmann both looked the perfect appointment at times and we failed, now Conte isnt the right fit, is Zidane even interested in the premiership....who else reall is there available?

Clear out - There are a good 10-15 players should be moved on or will leave anyway this summer

RB - I was against the Tripper signing and still nto sure, would liek to see Laird given an opportunity in the squad. I still have faither in Bissaka but feel he needs competition for his place from an offensive full back like a Laird or Lamptey who both give competition an ddifferent options

CB - Yes crazy as it sounds, I feel most of our cb should be moved on so Maguire and Varane need better cover and competition, wether that be an experienced free like Romagnoli or a big young siging like Fofana....or if we clear out properly...both

CM - We need two, not one of our cm is good enough either by age, discipline and intelligece or ability. McTominay is the only one Im happy with....as a squad player. Would also like Hannibal to get opportunities either there or as back up to Fernandes

Attackin wise when Cavani leaves I woul dlike Greenwood moved up front to compete with Ronaldo and the competition for Rashford and Sancho can come from Elanga, Pellestri and Amad.

So basically signings wise what we need is pretty much what we needed in the summer anyway both inwards and outwards
Agree with all that. I’d like to see our young players brought back from loan in January and integrated. At least we’d get something worthwhile out of the season

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
I believe Man United need Zlatan in, to create golden old trinity of Ronaldo, Cavani and Zlatan ( if not Messi ).
Build up the team around them, since they already have 2 of them.

Jacob

Can we realistically sign anyone that will improve our chances of top 4 under Ole?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Can we realistically sign anyone that will improve our chances of top 4 under Ole?
A player with balls and tactical nous to decide the strategy on the pitch, while having enough individual brilliance to keep getting picked by Ole.

We need to sign Johan Cruyff.

Bwuk

We need a clear out.

Lets say we continue to play 4231. For the front 4 positions, we have;

Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Mata, Lingard, Bruno, Van de Beek.

10 players for 4 positions, not even including the likes of Elanga, Amad etc is ridiculous.

RooneyLegend

We need a clear out.

Lets say we continue to play 4231. For the front 4 positions, we have;

Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Mata, Lingard, Bruno, Van de Beek.

10 players for 4 positions, not even including the likes of Elanga, Amad etc is ridiculous.
Funny part is we've got forwards playing as wingers. So instead of having depth in the wings, we actually have guys who can do a job there, the job ATM is terrible. We basically have hoards of players for the front 2 that we move them into other roles.

ToToMarshall

A central-defensive-midfielder, a right-back and a striker to replace both Martial & Cavani. Maybe another central-defender if Bailly goes (I don’t rate Axel Tuanzebe).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a consistent style of play that hasn't been seen at the club for well over a decade. A style of play that looks to impose upon the opposition. Until that is rectified, we won't be challenging for the league imo.

PoTMS

Can't quite believe I'm saying this but Rice for Pogba would be a massive upgrade for United.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What we need ptentially:

1) New Manager
2) New backroom staff that are tacticall aware
3) Clear out Jones, Bailly, Williams, Dalot, Tuanzabe, Telles, Matic, Fred, VDB, Lingard, Mata, Martial....so many names could/should possibly go and thats not even adding the potential Pogba departure, very likely Cavani departure too
4) Sell or promote some of our loaness. I feel its time to decide this summer on the likes of Garner, Laird, Williams, Chong. A season of loans fo rthem....they dont need more, promote them or sell them
5) TWO new central midfielders (potentially more even if we get certain departures)

What annoys me, is half of these things should have been done in the window last gone. We should have gone big on a number two with experience and tactical knowledge to help Ole. Somebody liek Quiroz would be invaluable to him. We should have sold 2/3 of the clear out players I mentioned and we should have used that money to buy two central midfielders, we would be challenging then in my opinion, as it is the FA Cup for me is our onl yhope of silverware this season
Although I don't agree with all your points, I certainly feel an experienced coach, or number two as you mention, should have come in straight after Ole was given the job full time. It was pretty obvious that the manager and coaching staff were vastly inexperienced, and although we have shown on occasions that they can get things right, most of the time we appear rudderless.
Personally I was always in favour in giving Ole, and his staff, until the season's end, but instead of progressing, we seemed to have gone backwards, and players like Maguire, Shaw (to some extent), Fred, McTominay, and recently Greenwood just don't seem like the same players from last season. I'm not sure Ole will still be here in the new year.

TSE123

I was just going to write that Kessie could be a good signing for united. And half way through writing he gave away the penalty in the milan derby. BUT he is still a good and stable CDM who wins alot of balls!
Questionable penalty as well!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was just going to write that Kessie could be a good signing for united. And half way through writing he gave away the penalty in the milan derby. BUT he is still a good and stable CDM who wins alot of balls!
Questionable penalty as well!
Not a cdm he’s b2b

TSE123

Not a cdm he’s b2b
Kessies starting position IS more often then not in defensive midfield. He may be a box to box player, BUT so is pogba, and they are entirely different when it comes to defensive work. Kessie is able to, and quite often does, hold the midfield, wins balls and starts play.

NoPace

Looking ahead to the summer:

Sancho(Elanga)---Cristiano(Greenwood)-Rashford(Diallo)
----------------CM(VDB)---------------------Bruno(Fred)--------------
--------------------------------DM(McTominay)------------------------
Shaw(Telles)--Maguire(LCB)------Varane(Lindelof)------RB(WanBissaka or Dalot)
-----------------------------------De Gea/Henderson--------------------

If we look at it like this, we'd be signing:

1) A starting DM
2) A starting CM
3) A left-footed CB to challenge and likely take over from Maguire

Then sell of or let Cavani, Martial, Dalot or Wan-Bissaka, Pereira. Mata, Pogba and Lingard are leaving on frees and Phil Jones likely for free with us paying much of his salary or a loan and the same thing.

Probably Brandon Williams comes back as 5th fullback since he can play both sides, Bailly is the 5th CB unless he's sold and we give Tuanzebe the job.

Small tight squad, spend huge on the 3 signings, no half-measures.

We can play a 9 like Cristiano and still play good, attacking even pressing football. A manager who can coach us to keep and use the ball and press hard for it when lost, 2 midfielders to join Bruno and a left-footed (or just great right-footed) CB who is good enough on the ball that we finally keep it a bit.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm firmly of the view that there's absolutely no point in spending any more money until we have resolved the coaching side. We have a quality squad and have yet to see the best of a number of our players.

I refuse to believe that the club would sanction any more funds in the transfer market after seeing how VdB and Sancho investments have worked out.

Use the money to reorganise the backroom, not in the transfer market.

Bestietom

Tchouameni and Kessie and we have a top class midfield.
I think we need a defensive coach also or change our full backs.

Jacob

De-clutter the squad and get rid of: Pogba, Jones, Bailly, Mata, Cavani, Martial, Henderson, Matic, Lingard, Dalot

This would free up at least 1.5 million per week in wages, or 90 million annually. Yes, we have a summer transfer budget spent on these guys' salaries.

Change captain to: Fernandes

Properly promote and give them game time before it's too late: Amad, Mejbri, Elanga, Shoretire

Sign: DM, CM, RB, CB (in that order).

DM - Rice, Koopmeiners, Ndidi
CM - Bellingham (and nobody else)
RB - Pereira, Trippier
CB - Koundé, Marquinhos

I honestly don't think Rashford, Maguire and AWB are good enough (as a mainstays) for the football we want to play. Fred and Scott are no-brainers too.

DE GEA (Heaton)

RB (AWB) --------------------- VARANE (Lindelöf) ---------------------- CB (Maguire) ----------------------- SHAW (Telles)

CDM (Fred) ---------------------- CM (McTominay)

Greenwood (Amad) ------------------------------ (C) Fernandes (Donny) ------------------------------------- Sancho (Elanga)

Ronaldo (Rashford)

Rotation: Mejbri, Shoretire, Mengi

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Assuming we appoint one of Rodgers/ten Hag, then i'm hoping we sign two players for the midfield, which I think is necessary to take us to the next level. Personally I prefer we appoint ten Hag, and the team I've presented below is very realistic, as well as having the potential to grow into a team that has the capability to challenge our rivals and play a possession based style in a vertical axis which ten Hag looks to implement.

I think we should steer clear of Declan Rice due to the potential premium West Ham will likely demand and instead focus on creating a system/style of play which will likely elevate the collective rather than the individuals, without being ripped off in the transfer market. So assuming we carry on playing two deeper midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, I'm hoping we go the below route, which would potentially make better use of our funds and also be a huge upgrade over McFred, when it comes to offensive and defensive transitions in a proactive approach.

Maxence Caqueret: He's a 21 year old midfielder who is excellent on the ball in tight spaces and can comfortably navigate the press to help his team advance play from deeper areas. He's also someone that is very good off the ball and would be excellent in a team like ours which has still to learn how to apply a coordinated press. He'd be best deployed next to a combative midfielder in a role which would link defence to attack. He's coming into the final year of his contract (expires 2023) and as yet hasn't signed a new contract with Lyon. And it's suggested that Lyon will look to sell for around £20m to £25m, rather than see him leave on a free. And at that price he'd be a potential bargain for someone due to his current ability and his potential future projection as a player.

Boubacar Kamara: He's also 21 and is a DM who plays for Marseille and isn't one of the more talked about DMs on this forum. But he's a player who looks to be available on a potential free transfer at the end of the season and is a low risk, high reward type of signing. He 'll keep it simple and retain possession at a good level whilst under pressure from what I've seen. He's also good at resisting the press which greatly helps the build up phase from deeper. He's defensively also strong which provides a platform for his midfield partner and the two CBs to venture forward depending on which CB is active in possession. It's a sensible signing imo. Caqueret and Kamara combined would cost considerably less than Declan Rice and would potentially provide a better return all round imo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------Onana-------------
Laird-----------------------------Varane------------------Maguire-----------------------------Shaw
-----------------------------------Caqueret----------------Kamara---------------
--------------------Sancho------------Hannibal-----------Fernandes
-------------------------------------Greenwood/Ronaldo

I've thrown in Onana on a free who is good with the ball at his feet and would add something extra to our build up play from the
back. I've also deployed Fernandes as a left sided forward similar to how ten Hag uses Tadic, and the Ajax front 4 interchange quite a a bit. Hannibal can also be deployed in several roles potentially which would increase his chances of getting minutes. But I'd expect Hannibal to be introduced gradually. But this team has potential to challenge City/Chelsea/Liverpool imo with bench strength also to count on.