What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Hester_manc

Andreas Christensen's contract with Chelsea expires this summer, and he has not been able to agree with Chelsea on how much he should have in salary in a possible new contract. Christensen should have lost patience with Chelsea, which is why Chelsea have not used him in the starting 11 for some time now, when they do not have any injuries. I would love if United bought Christensen already in January. He is a far better football player than some of our central defenders. He has a good technique and overview, and he does not make the same mistakes when passing the ball as eg Maguire.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It’s hard to get solid info on this. We all think we know who the highest earners are at each club and city are on record as having kdb on the guts of 350 and their highest earner and it makes sense if that was indeed the case. I’d be surprised if Grealish is on close to that with his first deal there. Lots of outlets reporting about 250 but for 6 years which would make some kind of sense. I just don’t understand what planet someone like Pogba is on demanding more than KDB to stay at a team who hasn’t challenged for anything for years, yet our owners are even worse for indulging him. It sends out a very poor message. That’s the only thing the players we seem to covet see in this club is that extra money. We need to fix that and draw a line in the sand at some point. It’s that same shoddy management that’s knocking on down to the players anyway. You’re trying to nurture a competitive environment, not a space where you’re unhappy but fully bought out
Re highest paid player, this is from Telegrap (Ducker and Mike Mcgrath)
Grealish’s deal with City, which runs until June 2027, will earn him up to £380,000 a week, taking into account bonuses, and makes him one of the highest paid players in the Premier League.
Now coming back to 150 million wage bill, here is Swissramble tweet on Chelsea, their wages is 333 million, do you believe City pay 50% of what Chelsea do?

Anyways point is, sites like Sportrac are crap and shouldn't be used.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s hard to get solid info on this. We all think we know who the highest earners are at each club and city are on record as having kdb on the guts of 350 and their highest earner and it makes sense if that was indeed the case. I’d be surprised if Grealish is on close to that with his first deal there. Lots of outlets reporting about 250 but for 6 years which would make some kind of sense. I just don’t understand what planet someone like Pogba is on demanding more than KDB to stay at a team who hasn’t challenged for anything for years, yet our owners are even worse for indulging him. It sends out a very poor message. That’s the only thing the players we seem to covet see in this club is that extra money. We need to fix that and draw a line in the sand at some point. It’s that same shoddy management that’s knocking on down to the players anyway. You’re trying to nurture a competitive environment, not a space where you’re unhappy but fully bought out
Just come into this thread to see what people are saying we need, I feel like we’re cursed to be shite for the rest of eternity and perhaps need a CB, RB, 2xCM, 1xAM, 1xCF at least :lol: yet I find it’s just another thread where you’re talking about Pogba.

It’s ok he will be gone soon and guess what….we’re worse off without him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just come into this thread to see what people are saying we need, I feel like we’re cursed to be shite for the rest of eternity and perhaps need a CB, RB, 2xCM, 1xAM, 1xCF at least :lol: yet I find it’s just another thread where you’re talking about Pogba.

It’s ok he will be gone soon and guess what….we’re worse off without him.
Its not about Pogba, that’s all you see in that post as per usual. It’s about why we have an overpaid and under motivated squad that’s ready to fall apart as soon as it hits any turbulence. Most major players are out for themselves and that’s totally understood, I’ve no problem with that.

I’m saying at the same time the club need to take a look at themselves if they actually feel like playing ball when his supposed demands are more than KDB who’s been winning leagues and going far in the CL every year. Just because you are paying or offering to pay big money it doesn’t mean you’re anywhere close or getting any closer to having a proper team. They are just feeding back into the celebrity BS that’s been holding us back in the first place. The buck stops with the board to get value and find the kind of people who’ll put the team first and I think they’ve done a number on us over the years. Lukaku, Martial, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, DDG, Rooneys last deal and so on.

They simply don’t do their homework before they invest or reinvest and making Pogba the highest paid midfielder in the league would be another example of doing something just because we can afford it and not because it’s actually the right thing for the team or the club long term. More money than sense.

Last edited:

bosskeano

For this team to take hte next step forward under Ralf, he has to bring in a TOP quality, young holding midfielder to replace Matic

johanovic

Sell:
Get rid of Pogba, Martial,Lingard, Dalot, Mata,Fred,Van de Beek, Matic,Jones..many of these are already out of United in their own minds and quite frankly United are not getting much from those players in relation to their salary cost.
Sign out of contract players:
Try to make 2 to 3 smart signings from those running out of contract in the summer like for example Rudiger, Kamara, Mazraoui,Dembele...
Signings:
Strikers: Then it´s a question of if we could go after a big talent like Haland or Vlahovic because Ronaldo and Cavani surely are not going to last much longer.....IF Haland could be tempted here we should go all out for him

Midfield: We need to build a quality midfield and for me Bellingham, Gravenberch, Rice would be a strong foundation to build on with McTominey and Fernandes. Rice could also play as a central defender.

Wingers/AM: I belive Sancho will work out but Rashford is a worry and I´m not sure how his career is going..is he starting to look abroad or has he lost his mojo due to injuries..Elanga is a interesting option ....I think we need at least one new option on the wings and perhaps Dembele on a free from Barca could work out..huge risk due to his injury record...Chiesa or Coman could be interesting options also.

Defenders: Mazraoui and Rudiger on a free would be great addons...another left footed CB/LB player could be a smart option..

Promote youth: Laird, Fernandez, Mengi, Amad,Pellestri,Garner,Hannibal,Shoretire and Elanga are all getting to the age where they need to prove themselves as United players and I think quite a few of them have a chance but they have to take that step.

Like always I´m optimistic for the new year as I feel we are slowly getting back...the next permanent manager will be a interesting option and I hope we go for Ten Haag at Ajax...his team plays a wonderful attacking football and that´s what I hope United will do...Ragnick as a part of the team with Fletcher and Murtough seems a smart play by me and hopefully he will clear out some of the deadwood in January and start to lay the foundations for a modern United like he did while at the Red Bull teams.

Happy birthday Sir Alex and thanks for all the wonderful memories ... it´s not easy replacing a legend as we have seen...but United have been through much darker times then these I chose to belive we are getting back in the right direction. Happy new year to all United supporters and hopefully 2022 will be much better than this awful 2021 was. Glory Glory Man United.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Its not about Pogba, that’s all you see in that post as per usual. It’s about why we have an overpaid and under motivated squad that’s ready to fall apart as soon as it hits any turbulence. Most major players are out for themselves and that’s totally understood, I’ve no problem with that.

I’m saying at the same time the club need to take a look at themselves if they actually feel like playing ball when his supposed demands are more than KDB who’s been winning leagues and going far in the CL every year. Just because you are paying or offering to pay big money it doesn’t mean you’re anywhere close or getting any closer to having a proper team. They are just feeding back into the celebrity BS that’s been holding us back in the first place. The buck stops with the board to get value and find the kind of people who’ll put the team first and I think they’ve done a number on us over the years. Lukaku, Martial, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, DDG, Rooneys last deal and so on.

They simply don’t do their homework before they invest or reinvest and making Pogba the highest paid midfielder in the league would be another example of doing something just because we can afford it and not because it’s actually the right thing for the team or the club long term. More money than sense.
He’s the only United player you’ve mentioned in that post....so yeah. Everything you write seems to begin and end with him.

Again I think it’s more about you only seeing the negatives in players you dislike. Currently my worry is that almost every single player is a problem for us and how do we fix that?

DDG getting back to his best form but doesn’t command his box and doesn’t help with high press.

AWB isn’t offensively good enough to play as Ralf wants

Maguire, as much as I think he’s a very good defender....he’s actually been shite for a long while.

Lindelof. Reads the game well, but does nothing about what he’s read.

Shaw. Excellent on his day and has been perhaps our most consistent outfield player in his time at the club but seems to fluctuate in weight so quickly that it is completely unprofessional.

McT he’s probably best described as a poor mans pogba. He gets exposed playing deep because he has no defensive awareness. It’s a big problem in the position he plays. His best role would be box to box with cover for his defensive liability.

Fred. He’s just not very good at any particular aspect of being a CM. Not that he’s poor. He’s just not very good at anything particular.

Pogba. A rich mans McT. A defensive liability who needs to be covered for. Far more effective in offensive departments as he has world class ability. Looks to be leaving anyway.

Matic/Mata/VDB nothing to say here.

Bruno. It’s a good job he started well. He’s been largely shite for 12 months. Runs around a lot at times but is Ill disciplined in his positioning and in his pass selection. If he doesn’t improve in 2022 then he’s a real problem.

Greenwood. Looks a shadow of the player he was two years ago. Has not really progressed although his all round game is better he doesn’t look dangerous anymore.

Cavani. Another who people love because he runs around. In truth he’s been pretty poor. His goal scoring record for an impact sub isn’t going to make an impact and as a started his all round game is too limited. He’s never fit and wants to leave.

Sancho. Looks like he’s playing it too safe. Trying to find form, wanting some decent performances rather than trying to tear it up. He’s quality but needs to do something and fast before he comes under real pressure. Pogba was already getting slated at this point on his return despite playing miles better than Jadon has.

Rashford. Barely looks like a footballer these days. Really proud of what he achieved off the field but since then his performances have been dire. Could it be the injury?

Martial. His time is up. He’s been a good player for us but it’s not working anymore.

We could be miles off being a good team again, there’s players I like and dislike but ALL of them have huge question marks over them.

The funny thing is that the closest we have been to being a good team again was after lockdown and Pogba and Martial were a key part of that. We probably ruined it by bringing in Cavani and then Ronaldo. We needed a CB (Varane) and a CM to replace McFred and then Sancho on top would’ve been a great group of youngish talents.

Now we seen miles off that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sell:
Get rid of Pogba, Martial,Lingard, Dalot, Mata,Fred,Van de Beek, Matic,Jones..many of these are already out of United in their own minds and quite frankly United are not getting much from those players in relation to their salary cost.
Try to make 2 to 3 smart signings from those running out of contract in the summer like for example Rudiger, Kamara, Mazraoui,Dembele...
Signings:
Strikers: Then it´s a question of if we could go after a big talent like Haland or Vlahovic because Ronaldo and Cavani surely are not going to last much longer.....IF Haland could be tempted here we should go all out for him

Midfield: We need to build a quality midfield and for me Bellingham, Gravenberch, Rice would be a strong foundation to build on with McTominey and Fernandes. Rice could also play as a central defender.

Wingers/AM: I belive Sancho will work out but Rashford is a worry and I´m not sure how his career is going..is he starting to look abroad or has he lost his mojo due to injuries..Elanga is a interesting option ....I think we need at least one new option on the wings and perhaps Dembele on a free from Barca could work out..huge risk due to his injury record...Chiesa or Coman could be interesting options also.

Defenders: Mazraoui and Rudiger on a free would be great addons...another left footed CB/LB player could be a smart option..

Promote youth: Laird, Fernandez, Mengi, Amad,Pellestri,Garner,Hannibal,Shoretire and Elanga are all getting to the age where they need to prove themselves as United players and I think quite a few of them have a chance but they have to take that step.

Like always I´m optimistic for the new year as I feel we are slowly getting back...the next permanent manager will be a interesting option and I hope we go for Ten Haag at Ajax...his team plays a wonderful attacking football and that´s what I hope United will do...Ragnick as a part of the team with Fletcher and Murtough seems a smart play by me and hopefully he will clear out some of the deadwood in January and start to lay the foundations for a modern United like he did while at the Red Bull teams.

Happy birthday Sir Alex and thanks for all the wonderful memories ... it´s not easy replacing a legend as we have seen...but United have been through much darker times then these I chose to belive we are getting back in the right direction. Happy new year to all United supporters and hopefully 2022 will be much better than this awful 2021 was. Glory Glory Man United.
Good post, I wouldn’t want Dembele...but a good post well done.

Rocknrolla69er

A deep lying midfielder, who's energetic off the ball, and can put the ball quickly into space for our attacking players.

Who's the midfielder with the best progressive passing/chance creation (passes over 10 yards)

Llorente
Barella
Goretzka
Kimmich
Verratti
Rice

Would be huge players, could we sign them who knows, apart from the obvious ones listed above any unearthed gems?

Any stattos?

Ali Dia

He’s the only United player you’ve mentioned in that post....so yeah. Everything you write seems to begin and end with him.

Again I think it’s more about you only seeing the negatives in players you dislike. Currently my worry is that almost every single player is a problem for us and how do we fix that?

DDG getting back to his best form but doesn’t command his box and doesn’t help with high press.

AWB isn’t offensively good enough to play as Ralf wants

Maguire, as much as I think he’s a very good defender....he’s actually been shite for a long while.

Lindelof. Reads the game well, but does nothing about what he’s read.

Shaw. Excellent on his day and has been perhaps our most consistent outfield player in his time at the club but seems to fluctuate in weight so quickly that it is completely unprofessional.

McT he’s probably best described as a poor mans pogba. He gets exposed playing deep because he has no defensive awareness. It’s a big problem in the position he plays. His best role would be box to box with cover for his defensive liability.

Fred. He’s just not very good at any particular aspect of being a CM. Not that he’s poor. He’s just not very good at anything particular.

Pogba. A rich mans McT. A defensive liability who needs to be covered for. Far more effective in offensive departments as he has world class ability. Looks to be leaving anyway.

Matic/Mata/VDB nothing to say here.

Bruno. It’s a good job he started well. He’s been largely shite for 12 months. Runs around a lot at times but is Ill disciplined in his positioning and in his pass selection. If he doesn’t improve in 2022 then he’s a real problem.

Greenwood. Looks a shadow of the player he was two years ago. Has not really progressed although his all round game is better he doesn’t look dangerous anymore.

Cavani. Another who people love because he runs around. In truth he’s been pretty poor. His goal scoring record for an impact sub isn’t going to make an impact and as a started his all round game is too limited. He’s never fit and wants to leave.

Sancho. Looks like he’s playing it too safe. Trying to find form, wanting some decent performances rather than trying to tear it up. He’s quality but needs to do something and fast before he comes under real pressure. Pogba was already getting slated at this point on his return despite playing miles better than Jadon has.

Rashford. Barely looks like a footballer these days. Really proud of what he achieved off the field but since then his performances have been dire. Could it be the injury?

Martial. His time is up. He’s been a good player for us but it’s not working anymore.

We could be miles off being a good team again, there’s players I like and dislike but ALL of them have huge question marks over them.

The funny thing is that the closest we have been to being a good team again was after lockdown and Pogba and Martial were a key part of that. We probably ruined it by bringing in Cavani and then Ronaldo. We needed a CB (Varane) and a CM to replace McFred and then Sancho on top would’ve been a great group of youngish talents.

Now we seen miles off that.
I mentioned Pogba and DDG and plenty of ex players who wanted similar kinds of money/transfer fees and weren’t worth it and then you went though the whole existing squad in response. I don’t disagree with but you are hyper sensitive about Pogba. He’s been a bad transfer and he’s currently overpaid. A bigger new contract isn’t going to make him a better player or less injury prone or even make his agent play nice. We could have got a steady workhorse on 1/4 of the money and fee and probably been in better shape today as a team. Our recruitment has been so poor compared to city and Liverpool and Pogba is our biggest signing. It’s only natural for people to reference it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I mentioned Pogba and DDG and plenty of ex players who wanted similar kinds of money/transfer fees and weren’t worth it and then you went though the whole existing squad in response. I don’t disagree with but you are hyper sensitive about Pogba. He’s been a bad transfer and he’s currently overpaid. A new contract isn’t going to make him a better player or less injury prone or even make his agent play nice. We could have got a steady workhorse on 1/4 of the money and fee and probably been in better shape today as a team. Our recruitment has been so poor compared to city and Liverpool and Pogba is our biggest signing.
I went through the entire squad because that’s what this thread is about really. Something again which you fail to grasp.

I came into this thread to see what people were saying. I’ve posted my thoughts. I think currently we’re miles off, which is frightening after the summer we had.

What I wasn’t expecting in a thread about ‘what do we currently need’ was paragraphs about Pogba. We get it you don’t like him, he’s the problem, he’s been so bad etc.

It’s funny because I wrote about almost all the players, which is what I initially came in to do....and once again the only player you’re interested in discussing is Pogba

Anything else to add :lol:

Last edited:

Ali Dia

I went through the entire squad because that’s what this thread is about really. Something again which you fail to grasp.

I came into this thread to see what people were saying. I’ve posted my thoughts. I think currently we’re miles off, which is frightening after the summer we had.

What I wasn’t expecting in a thread about ‘what do we currently need’ was paragraphs about Pogba. We get it you don’t like him, he’s the problem, he’s been so bad etc.

Anything else to add :lol:
The irony of you calling me a broken record! :lol: Happy new year dude.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Want out or won't extend:

Henderson
VDB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

Past it or too injury prone:

Bailly
Jones
Matic
Mata

I think Ralf will start with rating and promoting the kids and then bring in adequate replaces where the squad remains thin.
I have question marks on a few others but realistically they won't be touched before the above gets sorted.

OrcaFat

Want out or won't extend:

Henderson
VDB
Pogba
Lingard
Martial

Past it or too injury prone:

Bailly
Jones
Matic
Mata

I think Ralf will start with rating and promoting the kids and then bring in adequate replaces where the squad remains thin.
I have question marks on a few others but realistically they won't be touched before the above gets sorted.
I think you are right about the kids. Many will get chances, one way or another. I’m rooting for Hannibal to make the step up but I suppose we might be a year or two away from that.

RR wants to cut the squad numbers so I agree he will advise releasing most of the ones you’ve listed.

Recruitment-wise, I think he’ll ask for a midfielder (or two) and a forward to replace Cavani. Provided the incoming players are top quality, I don’t think we’ll be that far away.

jesperjaap

Im just glad that the words of Ragnick and also the voices of lots of fans now, the focus with what we need is shifting more towards what we need to get out of the club as much as in, as this has been the problem invidually for some time now, people are finally beginning to see a lot of these players shouldnt be here representign one of the biggest clubs in world football.

We barely have any players that have proven themselves for any period of time here. For me, most players are failing on some level they can be categorised in:

Players that have had poor spells but I would consider earned there right to compete as a startign eleven player: DeGea, Shaw, Greenwood, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Cavani

Quality new signing that have done nothing yet but need time so excluded from lists: Varane, Sancho

Ageing Players: Grant, Heaton, Matic, Mata, Ronaldo, Cavani

Injury Plagued PLayers: Bailly, Jones, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Cavani

PLayers reaching end of contract or appearign to eant to leave: Bailly, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Henderson, Pereira, VDB, Martial, Cavani

Talented PLayers whose attitudes or inconsistencies let us down with shoddy play: Maguire, Bailly, Bissaka, Pogba, Martial, Rashford

Players that shouldbe no more than squad players ability wise: Lindelof, Bailly, Telles, Lingard, Fred, McTominay, Matic, VDB, Rashford, Martial

Players just simple not good enough for varying reasons that are deadwood: Jones, Grant, Dalot, Williams, Tuanzabe, Mata, Pereira, Chong

Unproven Youngsters: Mengi, Amad, Pellestri, Garner, Hannibal, Elanga, Shoetire, Laird

So for me, the exit list priority wise would be:

1. Cavani - He is ageing, injury plagued and wants to leave. SO this one is no slight on him at all, the attitude and performances and quality been excellent, but its an obvious exit sadly

2. Grant, Jones, Dalot, Williams, Tuanzabe, Mata, Pereira, Chong - Deadwood that simply offer us very little moving forward.Our squad is bloated, its not about getting money in or wages off the books, simply freeing up space in the squad

3. Bailly, Pogba, Lingard, VDB, Martial - Some appear on several lists but for me simple fact is they dont seem to want to stay, are on big wages and simply havent performed with any consistency

Thats 14 players, would like more in all honesty but that would leave a squad of:

GK: DeGea, Henderson Heaton
RB: Bissaka Laird
LB: Shaw, Telles
CB: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof,
CM: Fred, McTominay, Matic,
AM: Fernandes Hannibal
LW: Rashford Sancho
RW: Greenwood Amad
ST: Ronaldo

Would like to see the bolded youngsters integrated as they seem to have ability and also are versatile. Laird can play both full back positions, Hannibal possibly offers competition and cover in cm/am/lw and Amad lw/rw which may even allow Greenwood to play as a striker and Sancho on the right.

I would loan out the remaining youngsters including Elanga personally

For me that would leave us looking to sign this summer:

2 x centre backs
2 x central midfielders
1 x Attacking player (either wide or a striker dependant on Greenwood plans next season)

The centre backs are competition rather than big signings. Romagnoli on a a free or exciting young centre backs would be the way forward to me. As much as I would like a big signing such as Fofana, isnt the priority

Central midfielders again are a few options like Kamara and Kessie possibly free. WOuld definately be Kamara as one of the signings, then we should look at a big signign there Bellingham/Rice/DejOng some of the obvious possble targets

Attacking wise the obvious first thought is Haaland but I really see little chance of this happening at all personally. Im really not sure on the attackign front, but we do already have talent there, especially if Greenwood can transfer his talent to the striking role. I know little of him but the profile of Alvarez as a striker that can also play out wide, is youg and breakign through seems abot right to me.

A name I threw forward years ago that then got a serious injury and took time to get back to fitness. Amine Gouiri fits the profile, now proving himself at Nice. Very good technically, intelligent can play up front and also out wide and still just 21, so maybe:

GK: DeGea, Henderson Heaton
RB: Bissaka Laird
LB: Shaw, Telles
CB: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Romagnoli, Sow
CM: Fred, McTominay, Matic, Kamara, Rice
AM: Fernandes Hannibal
LW: Rashford, Gouiri
RW: Sancho Amad
ST: Ronaldo Greenwood

Cut down the squad to 25players, probably spent under £130m so would be a very small net spend, probabl dramatically lowered the weekly outlay on wages as well.

Still not perfect, but the few in there I ave doubts over and some are the bigger names in our side, do have proper competition from young versatile players with plenty of ability and there are others have start too much also that can possibly be relagated to still be valuable squad members. Potentially a very young exciting side to develop within that squad, but also enough experience and leadership around it.

Im not saying these should definately be the names, its more a case as mentioned, the most important thing this summer is players exiting for the new manager to have a proper squad to work with, not a bloated one with lots of problems within it individually

ForeverRed1

A midfield. Now in this transfer window because athletico will walk through our midfield. We have to fight for the champions league this season.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
In this window we need a midfielder to have any chance at top 4.
In the summer we need another midfielder (two if they feck up this window), a CB, A RB and if possible another attacking player.

Out: Bailly, Henderson, Pogba, Donny, Cavani, Martial,Matic, Mata, Lingard, Jones, Wan Bisakka (Prefer Dalot as backup)

Will United do that ? No chance

Dante

Average bang
Buy nobody. Just sell.

The first thing we need to do is trim the squad. The current morale problems are down players not getting minutes. Even if it's only 3 or 4 people failing to get on the pitch, their concerns are going to rub off on everyone elese. Soon the whole squad believes the manager is being unfair/incompetent. That's the sort of conspiracy theory that loses dressing rooms.

At United, the blame lies squarely at the feet of the board. They measure our squad quality by the value of our player assets. That's the reason we don't sell many players. And that's why we offer extensions to everyone. Because a new contract for Phil Jones preserves his Balance Sheet value at £30m, whereas a sale would only realise about £10m.

So buying new players right now should be at the bottom of Arnold's priority list. A weaker version of this squad got 2nd place last season and is easily capable of beating Wolves at Old Trafford. What's gone wrong is a morale issue due to having too many players. Manchester United only fixes that by selling first.

So I wouldn't buy 1 new player until after we've got rid of at least 3 others. That'll probably happen in summer at the earliest.

croadyman

Buy nobody. Just sell.

The first thing we need to do is trim the squad. The current morale problems are down players not getting minutes. Even if it's only 3 or 4 people failing to get on the pitch, their concerns are going to rub off on everyone elese. Soon the whole squad believes the manager is being unfair/incompetent. That's the sort of conspiracy theory that loses dressing rooms.

At United, the blame lies squarely at the feet of the board. They measure our squad quality by the value of our player assets. That's the reason we don't sell many players. And that's why we offer extensions to everyone. Because a new contract for Phil Jones preserves his Balance Sheet value at £30m, whereas a sale would only realise about £10m.

So buying new players right now should be at the bottom of Arnold's priority list. A weaker version of this squad got 2nd place last season and is easily capable of beating Wolves at Old Trafford. What's gone wrong is a morale issue due to having too many players. Manchester United only fixes that by selling first.

So I wouldn't buy 1 new player until after we've got rid of at least 3 others. That'll probably happen in summer at the earliest.
Problem is still leaves us with easily one of the worst midfields in the league

space

Sell:
Signings:

this post made me feel better

lex talionis

Long term we have all kinds of issues to work through to engineer an overhaul of a badly underperforming squad, but in the short run the massive hole in the squad is a central defensive midfielder. We actually need to bring in two CDMs as part of the overhaul, but during the January window we’ll have to settle for one.

Hopefully United management understand this. If not, we can kiss CL football goodbye for next year.

croadyman

Long term we have all kinds of issues to work through to engineer an overhaul of a badly underperforming squad, but in the short run the massive hole in the squad is a central defensive midfielder. We actually need to bring in two CDMs as part of the overhaul, but during the January window we’ll have to settle for one.

Hopefully United management understand this. If not, we can kiss CL football goodbye for next year.
I admire your confidence of even getting one and totally agree we need two DM's PLUS a CM good on the ball too

Worrying there aren't any of the usual Utd journos suggesting that the club see a midfield rebuild as top priority this summer

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We still need midfielders of the requisite quality to replace the mediocre ones that are currently playing regularly for several years now.

Our current midfield two wouldn't stand out at midtable clubs in the EPL imo.

I'm hoping the return of Pogba will help us achieve top 4, and then in the summer I hope we sign both Frenkie de Jong and Aurelien Tchouameni, which should be realistic, if as expected a number of players leave, which in-turn should free up considerable sums.

------------------------------Keeper--------------------
Laird--------Varane----------Maguire--------Shaw
-----------------de Jong----------Tchouameni---------
--------Greenwood--------Hannibal--------Sancho
--------------------------Vlahovic------‐---------

I'd love to see us sign Haaland but don't think that move is realistic for us currently. I'd also like to see us sign a young up and coming CB to eventually replace Maguire in the first 11. There's a few options in France who fit the bill, as far as helping us play a higher line.

I think the above team has the potential to develop into a high pressing team, with question marks over maybe one or two players, hence signing a young up and coming CB to replace Maguire would be the way forward IMO.

The Irish Connection

If we’re being conservative and or kind to the Glazers, we need to ship out around 8 and at the very least, bring in 4.
2 midfielders (ideally 3), a right back and a center forward.
Importantly, players who look after the ball, good technically and good pass completion.

If Erik ten Hag comes, a striker with decent hold up play is a must. Vlahovic seems a good shout, Haaland is obviously out of the question.

If the above doesn’t happen, the fans need to put the pressure back on the owners again.

Njord

If all teams in the PL played a 4-2-3-1, how many would have a better midfield two than us?

Luiz and McGinn certainly looked better today, and I'd say there's at least ten sides in the PL that have better players in these positions.

Quite obvious problem, which makes both our attack and defence look worse than it is.

Zlatattack

We're going to see Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Martial leave this summer.

We ought to move on Matic and Jones this summer too.

We need at least 2 CMs.
We need a LW to compete with/replace Rashford.
We need a decent RB.

I think we ought to hit the free transfers hard. Zakaria, Kamara, Kessie - try to get at least one of these guys.

Jonesno.8

Obvious position and player is CDM and Rice buy I just don't see us getting him sadly. This one position alleviates the pressure on our backline when they have confidence that those in front are in the right place. Rice will pick up off his CB and look to get it wide while holding his position well and progress us up the pit h. I'd love to say that there are loads of options in this role but when you look at the names quoted, most are a gamble ie not played Prem football or so young that they don't fulfil the potential ala Kamara and Bellingham. Garner has done well but I doubt he is ready to step up yet.

croadyman

We're going to see Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Martial leave this summer.

We ought to move on Matic and Jones this summer too.

We need at least 2 CMs.
We need a LW to compete with/replace Rashford.
We need a decent RB.

I think we ought to hit the free transfers hard. Zakaria, Kamara, Kessie - try to get at least one of these guys.
Yeah totally agree about us needing one of those free transfers along with FDJ/Bellingham/Rice/Philips as well

copen1945

I have only seen him a few times, but Douglas Luiz always looked good. His play is unspectacular, but he does the right things in and out of possession. Aston Villa, I think, have a rich owner, so he can't be cheap, unfortunately. United need three midfielders, just to start.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Buy nobody. Just sell.

Compelling theory.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This squad lacks of creativity. Too many goalscorers instinct. Not enough playmakers and proper wingers who can pass and cross. In comparison to Liverpool & City or even Chelsea, our xG are too low. Get proper wingers, midfield who can pass, and top class full backs before getting a striker and centre back imo.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We really NEED to get rid of the deadwood , not good enough, too old and the celebrity players that are leveraging association with United for commercial gain

Thats most of the squad

Happy times

Jericholyte2

I think, fundamentally, we have two options here; either accept that the players will stay and hope that a manager can rectify the situation, or have a purge of the squad and acknowledge that it would be the start of a 5/10yr hard reset because, when you look at the squad, the numbers that would need moving on are huge:

GK:
- Keep DDG as he's looked to have found his form again.
- Henderson wants to leave so either sell to recoup or accept a longer-term loan
- Heaton can stay as 2nd / 3rd option

RB:
- Would need a new RB as AWB / Dalot aren't good enough for opposite reasons. AWB a liability in attack and passable defensively / Dalot passable in attack but a liability defensively

LB:
- If Shaw can regain form I think he'd be an acceptable starting LB with Telles an adequate 2nd choice (although could do with a better defensive option)

CB:
- Starters would be Varane and Maguire as I just don't think we could move Harry on at the moment. Desperately needs to regain form.
- Back-ups are neither good nor reliable enough - do we promote Mengi from 22/23 onwards?
- Axel looks unhappy at lack of plans, will he be moved on? Would he be good enough to rely on more?
- I'd think we'd need two CBs - one for the 1st team and one as a squad option

CM:
- Matic, Mata, Pogba, VDB could all be going in the coming months, without too many tears being shed
- We'd need at least two CMs to replace these in the squad
- McT and Fred would be good squad options, (McT could be a starter next to a better DM) but they can't be relied on as a starting pair

AM:
- Lingard's gone and Bruno is a shell of his former self. We'd ideally give VDB more time here but that looks as likely as Boris Johnson not attending a party!
- We'd need an AM unless the likes of Hannibal would be promoted

RW/LW:
- Massively short!
- Martial will be gone, Rashford is a shell of a player at the moment, Greenwood is not a wide player and Sancho is out of form
- Elanga would be replacing Martial but we'd ideally need at least one more (if Diallo is going on loan) to get Marcus out of the line of fire

ST:
- Again massively short!
- Both Cavani and Ronaldo could be gone in the summer which would leave Greenwood as the only ST

So with this in mind I'd suggest we need a RB, back-up LB, 2 CBs, 2 CMs, a winger and at least on ST.

TL:DR - we're a bit fecked!

Infra-red

Two central midfielders and a striker (assuming that Cavani, Ronaldo and Martial all leave the club in the next 6 months) should probably be the priorities, simply because the quality in those areas is quite poor.

The type of profile we are looking at for those players will largely depend on who the new manager is. We're also unlikely to be able to offer Champions League football next season, so we might need to focus our attention away from the big names.

KungfuCantona66

Supports
Give it to Giggseh till...
On the basis of playing a 4-2-3-1:

CB: Maxence Lacroix/Mohamad Simakan/Edmond Tapsoba
Price: £35-50 million

RB: Promote Ethan Laird

DM: Denis Zakaria
Price: £6 million

DLP:Bruno Guimaraes
Price: £35-40 million

RW: Raphinia
Price: £50 Million
* On the basis we play Sancho on the left (his best position) and we are also in need for creative forward players to feed our striker. Cavani and Ronaldo Suffer

ST: Patrick Shick/Darwin Nunez
Price: £50 million

Sell

Phil Jones (£2-5 million) --> Lets be real, my grandkids will still be watching Jones play CB in 30 years
Eric Bailly (£15-20)
Jesse Lingard (Free but take wage into account)
Pogba (Same)
Cavani (Same)
Mata (Same)
Dean Henderson (£30-40 million) --> If we were Chelsea or Liverpool this price tag would be very doable. Flog him to Newcastle
DVB (£30 million)
Anthony Martial (£20-25 million) --> Wages too high, we wont get a huge fee

---------------------De Gea-------------------
Laird---------Varane------Lacroix-------Shaw
---------------Zakaria-------Guimaraes----------
Raphinia---------Bruno-----------Sancho
----------------------Schick/Nunez------------

This will never happen but a man can dream.

Rauður Djöfull

The lack of rumours for January is worrying, really hope we manage to get rid of few and sign at least one midfielder but I am starting to worry we won't get anyone out and probably no good deals for outgoing players