Cavani

Buy:

RB
CB
CDM/CM
CM
RW
ST

Thins the squad out and promote youth where needed.

Devil may care

This summer Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Bailly, Jones, Dalot, Henderson, Martial and Cavani should all be off at the very least, there's others I'd like to see leave as well but it might not be feasible until 2023.

We need a CB, RB, 2 CM's, a WF and a Striker, that's a hell of a lot. With midfield I think our fans have become obsessed with grafters due to the lazy attitudes of the bulk of this squad, but I think we need positionally astute players as well and at least one midfielder that can control the game on the ball, especially with Hollywood Bruno as our #10 who is more of a SS. I'm not sure exactly who I'd pick for the various positions at the moment as it's such a mess, but for the forward I think Nkunku is by far the standout attacking option.

Blood Mage

We need an entirely new fecking team. The only positions where we look reasonably strong are LW and CAM. God our signings over the past nine years have been calamitous, so much money wasted.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we want to build a team capable of challenging City and Liverpool, then players who are good both in offensive and defensive transition have to be pursued. Positioning in a compact high block will only get us so far, but not being able to control the space in-behind will be fatal in such a high risk approach.

Rangnick himself has said several times that the team lacks physicality and intensity. Hassenhuttl has also commented on United's problem being when they have to 'go the other way'

So I think if the club can bring in at least 4 starters, who are strong in both offensive and defensive transitions with a view to playing in a compact high block, then I believe the team will get a great boost for next season.

Last edited:

Phil

This summer Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Bailly, Jones, Dalot, Henderson, Martial and Cavani should all be off at the very least, there's others I'd like to see leave as well but it might not be feasible until 2023.

We need a CB, RB, 2 CM's, a WF and a Striker, that's a hell of a lot. With midfield I think our fans have become obsessed with grafters due to the lazy attitudes of the bulk of this squad, but I think we need positionally astute players as well and at least one midfielder that can control the game on the ball, especially with Hollywood Bruno as our #10 who is more of a SS. I'm not sure exactly who I'd pick for the various positions at the moment as it's such a mess, but for the forward I think Nkunku is by far the standout attacking option.
I think this is a solid point. We need to be able to control games with possession whilst also working hard.

danamann

Even Klopp saying in his press conference that United don't have a defensive midfielder :lol:

Crashoutcassius

I think we are looking at players that would have suited ralf, but my guess is ETH is more a possession manager so limited pressing machines probably aren't our target. I see a lot of linking of the same players we have been linked to before ETH, that doesn't make much sense, especially if ralf has a very limited role at club

Just seen that Stefan Ortega is planning to leave Bielefeld on a free this summer. He'd be a good number two, potentially more than that. Total style contrast to De Gea...a front foot, footballing keeper with 4th highest 1v1 save percentage in Europe last season.

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

To go:

Henderson
Grant
Dalot
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Jones
Telles
Pogba
Matic
Lingard
Pereira
Mata
Greenwood
Martial
Donny
Cavani

Buy:

RB
CB
CDM/CM
CM
RW
ST

Thins the squad out and promote youth where needed.
Hard to argue against any of these being shown the door. The only one I would even consider giving a chance to would be Donny.

SAFMUTD

If we put every single player in our squad up for sale, how many of our players would be wanted by City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and/or Spurs?
For City and Liverpool I think only Cristiano and Varane. For Chelsea those 2, plus Bruno and Sancho. For Arsenal and Spurs quite some others, they dont have great squads either.

Tarrou

I know we need a lot more but I'd honestly be happy if we just signed two top class CMs this summer whilst getting rid of a few useless cnuts

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Looking into the detail I think we can balance the books, condense the squad, give Ten Hag a decent summer budget and rid the squad of dross and fringe players.

12 out and 4 in would do it for me.

MUFC FIRST TEAM 22-23

GK
De Gea
Henderson

CB
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof
New 60m - 200k pw

FB
Shaw
Telles
Wan Bissaka
New 50m - 200k pw

MF
McTominay
Fred
Fernandes
Van De Beek
Hannibal
New 60m - 300k pw

WING
Rashford
Elanga
Sancho
Diallo

FW
Ronaldo
New 80m - 300k pw

IN Total 250m fees - 1m wages

OUT Total 100m fees - 1.5m wages
Bailly 15m - 80k pw
Jones 5m - 75k pw
Dalot 25m - 45k pw
Pogba Nil - 290k pw
Matic Nil - 120k pw
Lingard Nil - 75k pw
Mata Nil - 160k pw
Greenwood Nil - 75k pw
Cavani Nil - 250k pw
Tuanzabe 15m - 50k pe
Martial 30m - 250k pw
Pereira 10m - 30k pw
I admire your optimism with your sales

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Greenwood if he is cleared, Garnacho, Hannibal, Sancho would all be of interest I feel.

Outside of the youngsters....maybe Martial/Rashford/Shaw for Arsenal or Spurs but probably none for the top threewhich is a sad indicement
We have to discount greenwood. Otherwise we plan for him and have a big gaping hole when he’s not available

he’s either going to charged or get off on a technicality/lack of evidence. If it’s the latter he still won’t be forgotten or forgiven by fans up and down the country not to mention his teammates who disowned him. He’s done at United either way

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Since we have so much to do and it's not gonna happen just in one summer, I'll do a 2/3 year plan. The sales this summer are more what I expect will happen, rather than want to happen.

Summer 2022:
Sell/Release/Loan:
  • Henderson
  • Grant
  • Jones
  • Bailly
  • Williams
  • Laird
  • Tuanzebe
  • Mengi
  • Matic
  • Mata
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Pogba
  • Cavani
  • Ronaldo
  • Amad
  • Hannibal
  • Pellistri
  • Chong
  • Shoretire
Priorities:
  1. ST
  2. DM
  3. RW
  4. RB
  5. GK
Buy:
  • Timber
  • Darwin
  • Tchouameni (dream)
  • Johnstone
2023:
Sell/release/loan:
  • De Gea
  • Telles
  • Wan Bissaka
  • Laird
  • Garner
  • Martial
  • Pellistri
  • Chong
  • Garnacho
  • Shoretire
Priorities:
  1. GK
  2. RW
  3. CM
  4. CB/RB (whichever one Timber is not)
  5. LB
  6. Backup ST
Buy:
  • New Goalkeeper
  • Frenkie De Jong
  • Antony
23/24 starting lineup:

Darwin
Sancho Bruno Antony
De Jong Tchouameni
Shaw Varane Maguire Timber
New GK​
Backup 11:
Rashford
Hannibal VdB Elanga/Amad
Fred McTominay
Williams Lindelof Mengi Dalot
Johnstone​

Tchouameni is probably unlikely. In which case, Kamara on a free, and then push for Rice in 2023 or 2024 if Tchouameni is already gone.

croadyman

Since we have so much to do and it's not gonna happen just in one summer, I'll do a 2/3 year plan. The sales this summer are more what I expect will happen, rather than want to happen.

Summer 2022:
Sell/Release/Loan:
  • Henderson
  • Grant
  • Jones
  • Bailly
  • Williams
  • Laird
  • Tuanzebe
  • Mengi
  • Matic
  • Mata
  • Pereira
  • Lingard
  • Pogba
  • Cavani
  • Ronaldo
  • Amad
  • Hannibal
  • Pellistri
  • Chong
  • Shoretire
Priorities:
  1. ST
  2. DM
  3. RW
  4. RB
  5. GK
Buy:
  • Timber
  • Darwin
  • Tchouameni (dream)
  • Johnstone
2023:
Sell/release/loan:
  • De Gea
  • Telles
  • Wan Bissaka
  • Laird
  • Garner
  • Martial
  • Pellistri
  • Chong
  • Garnacho
  • Shoretire
Priorities:
  1. GK
  2. RW
  3. CM
  4. CB/RB (whichever one Timber is not)
  5. LB
  6. Backup ST
Buy:
  • New Goalkeeper
  • Frenkie De Jong
  • Antony
23/24 starting lineup:

Darwin
Sancho Bruno Antony
De Jong Tchouameni
Shaw Varane Maguire Timber
New GK​
Backup 11:
Rashford
Hannibal VdB Elanga/Amad
Fred McTominay
Williams Lindelof Mengi Dalot
Johnstone​

Tchouameni is probably unlikely. In which case, Kamara on a free, and then push for Rice in 2023 or 2024 if Tchouameni is already gone.
Do we not need to sign a Pogba replacement too

bosnian_red

Do we not need to sign a Pogba replacement too
Pogba was replaced ages ago, pretty much when we signed Bruno. He doesn't really have a clear role anyway. Being realistic, we are just signing 1 midfielder this summer, so the ideal is a DM like Tchouameni to sit behind Fred and Bruno, both of who have been automatic starters for a couple of years now and will likely continue as such. Pogba is being replaced by a defensive midfielder who actually fits the system, and we are using Fred in his best position like how Ralf has used him.

We are getting rid of players that don't fit and replacing them with players that do fit. Replacing players like for like only makes sense if you have a system where you need such a player and the departing player actually did well. We never had a system with Pogba, and Pogba never actually did well enough to need true replacing, as I'm sure none of us want our next midfielder to have a Pogba type of output.

jesperjaap

Summer transfer window approachign is always frutrating and relatively amusing as well.

Seen a lot of talk about how we shouldnt be signing big players and splashing money on them like past mistkaes but hungry young talents.....and now what do we start to see:

Pau Torres £50m
Kelvin Phillips £50m
DejOng £65m
Nunez £70m

We as fans often cant help but get carried away with some of these links. £50m on Torres is madess though I feel and yet people talking about Gvardiol probably unreachable as he would be £50-60m.

Gvardiol and DejOng Id take any day of the week though it means def a couple of value signings. But god if we spent £170m on Torres, Phillips and Nunez I think Id cry. If we are spending half our budget on a couple of players they have to be world class....Phillips for £50m, come on!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We need to bring in players that will immediately know how to play the managers system. Would be quite happy if he brought in 5 mature and fit 24-28 year olds that will instantly get it. Don’t care if I’ve ever heard of them. Don’t care if they’re all free transfers.

Don’t spend a lot. Sure as Fcuk don’t pay big money for anyone. Sensible signings with bomb-proof injury records.

Instill a culture and system that’s driven by adults. How the hell we are in a position that 5 new signings could come in and take over a dressing room. Madness. But there’s opportunity there I guess.

SparkedIntoLife

BUDGET
I'm working off a rumoured £200m budget but with the caveat that any transfer money received, which will be minimal, will not give anything extra to the budget and maybe be saved for next season.

SLAM DUNKS
We've been saying this for years but there's still two positions we just haven't filled - DM and RW. For me, there's two players presumably available on the market that are the top options. We should invest the bulk of our budget on these two players, even though we need a fairly sizeable rebuild. They would be game changers, I think. The DM is Aurelian Tchouameni. He is just phenomenal. I have often considered Kamara on a free or Enzo Fernandez who many consider the best young midfielder in South America. Tchouameni is on another level though. A cert to be top class. We also need a RW and I like the balance of a left footer on the right with the right footer in Sacho on the left. For this profile, Antony is the man. Ten Hag loves him. He's a slightly annoying character but fiercely competitive. There's room for improvement in his output, for sure, but his all round quality is obvious. Between these two, put down £120m. Aurelian, in particular, will be wanted by all the big clubs and I'm not sure if he's going to be realistic but we need to act fast and go big. Offer £65m and give him big wages. Tell him he's the face of the new project. As for Antony, traditionally Ajax don't tend to charge astronomical fees. I'd think £55m should do the job.

£120m spent, £80m left...

CONTRACTS EXPIRING 2022/2023
All those due to expire this Summer, see ya. Here's what I do with those expiring in 2023. Ronaldo - see out next season unless he's keen to go. I'm coming round to thinking he's more of a Ten Hag player than I previously thought. Heaton - keep as third choice next season then leave. De Gea - Honestly, I'd either let him leave on a free in 2023 or persuade him to accept the option for another year. The worst thing we could do is to renew him for more than he's already on, which is an insane wage. Jones - feel sorry for him but enough's enough; going this Summer. Dalot - not convinced enough, need to sell while he has a modicum of value from his Milan spell. Rashford - take up option to 2024 and decide whether to sell or renew next year based on how he's gotten on next season. Fred - Renew but not for much more than he's currently on. If he declines, sell him. Shaw - Take up club option til 2024 and decide to sell or renew next season. I really dislike his attitude but he remains a talented player who maybe ETH can get the best of. Also I wonder if a good performance at the World Cup will raise his value.

LOAN RETURNEES
Martial - Can't believe I'm saying this but last chance saloon. His poor loan at Sevilla may have humbled him a bit and maybe he'll be better without Pogba's influence. I actually think he's the type of player ETH will get the best of, and we aren't overflowing with strikers with Cavani and probably Greenwood unlikely to play for us again.
Pereira - Not good enough, go. Diallo - Needs another, better season away on loan. I still like him though.
Pellistri - I don't rate him but he needs a better loan next season and maybe he can either develop or raise his value to be sold.
Williams - I don't think he's good enough and, after a good loan, it makes sense to sell him. BUT I kinda like his nastiness and don't think he's done well enough to warrant a huge fee, so we might as well keep him. With Dalot going (in my plans), I'd have him as a backup RB.
Van de Beek - Ten Hag rates him and can get the best out of him. I still have my doubts that he's Prem suitable but he's an adequate backup to Bruno.
Garner - Interesting one. If Forest go up and want to keep him, him having a good PL loan would be better for him right now. If that doesn't happen, keep him in and around our squad.
Tuanzebe - Time's up, shame how injuries have affected him. Sell.
Mengi - Another loan needed.
Chong - Take up our option and sell him.
Bishop - Sell.
Levitt - Sell.
Laird - Another loan. Let's hope he stays injury free. I really like him.
Kovar - Another loan. Has potential.
Galbraith - Another loan. There's something there.
Bernard - Sell.

SELL
Bailly
's time's up. I think he was misinformed about how much he'd play this year and was renewed under pretences, so I get his frustration. Sell him. Greenwood's probably getting sacked. Doubt he'll ever play for us again. Huge shame but what he did is not acceptable. Hope he sorts his life out. I like Telles but he hasn't adapted to England well and we need someone who can challenge Shaw better. Henderson needs to go. There's some view that ETH will like him. I doubt it; he's overrated and allegedly is one of the main leaks. I am not a Maguire fan but shifting him might be easier after the World Cup and replacing him with a ready made player will be too expensive.

LOAN OUT
I think it's smartest to loan Wan-Bissaka to increase his value as he still has a fair bit of time on his contract. Better this, probably, than selling him to Palace for like 30m less than we bought him for like 2 years ago. Loan Mejbri - he's really raw but very talented and needs game time. Fernandez, Hugill, Hardley, Fish, Emeran would be other possible loans. Keep the 17/early 18 year olds like Shoretire, Garnacho, McNeill and Savage in and around things.

CHEAPER BUYS
Ideally I'd want a young ball playing keeper to challenge DDG but it's low priority and not worth paying that money right now. Plus I have some hopes for Vitek and Kovar. Sam Johnstone on a free will do for now, with Henderson leaving. We need a good attacking right back. Wilfried Singo is going under the radar and is out of contract in 2023 so should be a decent price. 21 years old, really quick and physical and has 4 assists and 3 goals this season for Torino. Should be £20m I guess. On the other side, Aaron Hickey from Bologna is a great option to challenge Shaw. I like how balanced he seems and is nicely aggressive. Should again be £20m. I mentioned buying a young centre back to put pressure on Maguire. Malick Thiaw is having a superb season for Schalke and can develop a lot. Due to their financial issues, I don't see him costing more than £15m. Obviously we're lacking a pure DM. Tchouameni has enough about him to play this role better than Fred and McTominay but probably is better with another holding player next to him, to free up his explosive running. Boubacar Kamara from Marseille makes all the sense in the world on a free transfer. No brainer, especially with so many of our players out of contract. Then, for striker, Charles de Ketelaere of Club Brugge is very interesting. He needs to develop his aggression and physicality but has the frame and the speed to be incredible at this. Yep, he only has 18 goals in the Belgian league this season at 21 years old. Not eye catching. However, most people's pick Darwin Nunez was 21 last season and only scored 14 goals. Also, CDK is more of a Firmino/Havertz type but has the physical and technical potential to be a superb target man. At a rumoured £25m, it makes a lot of sense. Ronaldo can nurture him for a season and Martial's there as another option for someone more in the Tadic mould.

SQUAD
GK: De Gea, Johnstone, Heaton
RB: Singo, Williams
LB: Hickey, Shaw
CD: Varane, Thiaw, Lindelof, Maguire
DM: Tchouameni, Kamara
CM: Fred, McTominay
RW: Antony, Elanga
LW: Sancho, Rashford
AM: Bruno Fernandes, Van de Beek
ST: De Ketelaere, Ronaldo, Martial

SO, ALL SIGNINGS
Johnstone, GK, Free
Singo, RB, 20M
Hickey, LB, 20M
Thiaw, CD, 15M
Kamara, DM, Free
Tchouameni, CM, 65M
Antony, RW, 55M
de Ketelaere, ST/AM, 25M

TOTAL SPEND ON INCOMINGS (NO OUTGOING FEES FACTORED IN)
200M

jesperjaap

Ok,commented a fair bit on here, but heres my final thoughts of what I would do.

We need
New Manager - Done
Club Advisor - Done if he stays
New scouts / people in charge of recruitment: Seems to be in process, would love to see somoene like Mitchell come in

As for who is out, its not even so much about that as the whole squad has been poor and even our better players there are reasons why you would sell, so before that its important to decide who we should keep:

1) Our youngsters - SOme may not be good enough but in terms of the squad, ability to coach and mould and numbers, these players deserve the right to earn squad places, so:

Williams, Mengi, Alvaro Fernandez, Amad, Pellestri, Garner, Hannibal, Elanga, Chong, Shoetire, Laird, Garnacho
all stay in the squad for next season (have left out Greenwood for obvious reasons)

2) Players we signed last year - They have come into a rotten squad and only had one season, but the quality is there and they have all been ok, one player good, so keep Ronaldo, SAncho, Varane

3) Players that appear to have the right attitude and desire - A major part of the rebuild I feel is the attitude of players next season, so there are a few players I dont even rate, but when we are moving on so many, the attitude in the dressing room next season is prevalant in us progresing, some of these the deciding factor also is there contracts end in 2023 so they can be assessed and contacts can be ran down or new ones offered from Te Hags thoguhts workign with them for the first couple ofmonths (as they dont have transfer value anyway):

Heaton, Dalot (and I dont rate him at all), Jones, Fred, Lindelof, McTominay, Fernandes

Thats a squad so far of 22 players of:

GK - 2
RB - 2
CB - 3
LB - 2
DM - 0
CM - 3
AM - 3
LW - 4
RW - 2
CF - 1

Can see purely numbers wise DM and CF are where we are weakest which are areas many have already mentioned, we actually have big numbers if not experience already in other areas, this is why we should sell a lot of the remaining players.

The definite outs are of course the contracts ending:

Pogba, LiNgard, Mata, Matic, Grant, Cavani

Leaves

GK
Henderson, rumoured to be unhappy - SELL

LB

Shaw - He does have the quality and contact a year left - KEEP
Telles - He simply cant defend and hasnt offered enough forwards either - SELL

CB

Bailly - I like him but the injuries, poor moments and wish for first team action - SELL
Tuanzabe - Despite odd great game failed to breakthrough here or on loan - SELL
Maguire - Purely because of numbers, wages he is on and experience, - KEEP (strip of captaincy though and fight for place with failure to move on next summer once cull has been done this year)

RB
Bissaka - Hands up, thought hed be a good signing and made progress last year, but regressed a lot and not sure he fits into a tactical system, he also holds transfer value - SELL

DM

We have none!

CM
Pereira - DOnt believe rumours of him comign back, never taken chances - SELL
VDB - Ten Hag knows him, but we have numbers and I expect an additional signing and again he holds value - SELL

AM

All options already retained

LW
Rashford - We have numbers and I dont buy into the confidence/injury thing or his past form has been so good as others say, been hit someotimes and mss jsut as often, but this season the desire, movement, quality, courage, desire is so poor, he has a year on his contract, would get plenty of interest and rumours of unrest 100% for me - SELL

Martial - LW or CF, the loan fail just shows cant trust in him, one good season - SELL

RW
All options retained

CF
Only option retained

So thats 15 players out for me, dont want to fo into fees but £150mish and a lot of wages off the books could pretty mcuh cover the £200m rumoured budget

So our squad after exits would be before additions:

GK DeGea - Heaton
LB - Shaw - Fernandez - Williams
CB Varane - Maguire - Lindelof - Mengi - Jones
RB Dalot - Laird
DM
CM Fred - Garner - McTominay
AM Fernandes - Hannibal - Shoetire
LW Sancho - Elanga - Garnacho - Chong
RW Amad - Pellestri
CF Ronaldo

I would loan out the bolded players where we are stacked.

SO in terms of ins we NEED 2 x DM options and 1 x CF option. In terms of quality really needing improving....1st choice CB, RB, CM, RW

So 7 signings I feel are needed this summer yes SEVEN, not even including a keeper, think we can call up a youngster of just an experinced keeper this summer for free such as Jognstone.

High on my signings were Vandervort who has agred a move and Livaramento who has a big injury, with so many needed I think we can rule out huge £60m+transfers especially those dont even sound keen such as DeJong and Id love Sulemana but cant sign another LW

CB Romagnoli - FREE left footed, leader, experienced and partly due to rb signing and cheap replacement for Maguire 2023

RB Jurrien Timber £40m - Knows sytem, intelligent positioning, possibly CB signing but allows Laird opportunities if he plays CB too, so can move into middle as well in a season and allow us to make a RB signign next summer

DM Kamara FREE - No brainer, specialised intelligent DM, free and lots of room for development as well

DM Tchouameni £50 - I;'d liek to say Enzo Fernandez but not seen him and also with Kamaras age and relative inexperience, we need a big signing in DM. I feel in certain games Tchouameni and Kamara can be a godo partnership as Tchouameni offers more than jsut DM. Camavinga was always my dream signing and Id love Rice or Bellingham but nto sure we can do another season of waiting with such few options

CM Caqueret £20m - Maybe small and technical, but works hard up and down, think he can be the DM playmaker, yougn and hungry and a much cheaper option that I feel could be a DeJong for us for a much cheaper price and wish to come here and I much prefer him to Neves/Tielmans for example. Lyon missed him massively v West Ham

RW - This is a tough one. Think with inverted wingers we may see Garnacho on the right. I really liek Doku but he is right footed has niggling injuries and still alittle raw, I rate ANtony Gordon but agai right footed. Raphina is a good player but instinct just says no. Ive not seen enough of him but Im not really that convinced by Antony personally from what I have, better than Neres who was highly rated but dont think he is top drawer.

I think from what I have seen in terms of age, how he is breakign through, has pace we dont really possess at the moment with Pellestri and Amad, I would probably go for

Moussa Diaby £45m

CF Giouri £45 - Followed him since youth football, massive talent, reminds me minus the aeriel proceess and hold up play of a yougn Benzema, intelligent, superb technique, good finishing, real star quality, seen more of him but Omsihen/Nunes £70m odd, get out of here, he is far more talented, my surprise big purchase of the summer and the perfect replacement for Greenwood as a CF

£200m maybe a little more, but wehave also made a lot of sales, savings on salaries too as dont expect many of these to be big wages and most imoortantly, cleared out the vast majority of ourcurrent problems in the squad whilst also covering most of next seasons possible sales nd we have lots of options

DeGea
Timber
Varane
Romagnoli
Shaw
Tchouameni
Caqueret
Fernandes
Sancho
Diaby
Ronaldo

Heaton
Laird
Lindelof
Maguire
Williams
Kamara
Fred
Hannibal
Elanga
GArnacho
Giouri

Alvaro Fernandeez, Jones, Dalot, Garner, McTominay, Amad, Pellestri, Shoetire

Secodn eleven weak in areas and inexperinced but there are still other options from the rest of the squad. Also think importantly there is much more aggresion, balance and intelligence in both sets of midfields which would protect a back four that would be more organised and reliable in the first eleven.

Doe that challenge for the title or chamions league - No. DOes it guarantee top four - NO. But there is more of a balance, players I feel would suit and coudl learn a sytem more, more energy, better pressing and also, still plenty of experience but there are a good 12 players or so around 21 years old, so there is a lot to work with longer term...bar GK and one CB there is actually potentially a quality first eleven of players all around that age 2/3 of which I feel have a real chance to be very good players for us.

Ok thats me done, no more of these

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I love coming here everytime we don’t win, just to console myself. ‘This summer, we need ’’Minimum‘’ 4 new starting XI or even 5 if Ronaldo leaves.

Nkunku Ronaldo Sancho
Fred Neves Bruno
Cucurella Timber Varane Dalot
DDG​

Friston

Darwin Nunez is a must for me. Not often you can find such a complete package as a striker. Even rarer to see a lone striker shine against the likes of Van Dijk and Konate.

userman

Ok,commented a fair bit on here, but heres my final thoughts of what I would do.

We need
New Manager - Done
Club Advisor - Done if he stays
New scouts / people in charge of recruitment: Seems to be in process, would love to see somoene like Mitchell come in

As for who is out, its not even so much about that as the whole squad has been poor and even our better players there are reasons why you would sell, so before that its important to decide who we should keep:

1) Our youngsters - SOme may not be good enough but in terms of the squad, ability to coach and mould and numbers, these players deserve the right to earn squad places, so:

Williams, Mengi, Alvaro Fernandez, Amad, Pellestri, Garner, Hannibal, Elanga, Chong, Shoetire, Laird, Garnacho all stay in the squad for next season (have left out Greenwood for obvious reasons)

2) Players we signed last year - They have come into a rotten squad and only had one season, but the quality is there and they have all been ok, one player good, so keep Ronaldo, SAncho, Varane

3) Players that appear to have the right attitude and desire - A major part of the rebuild I feel is the attitude of players next season, so there are a few players I dont even rate, but when we are moving on so many, the attitude in the dressing room next season is prevalant in us progresing, some of these the deciding factor also is there contracts end in 2023 so they can be assessed and contacts can be ran down or new ones offered from Te Hags thoguhts workign with them for the first couple ofmonths (as they dont have transfer value anyway):

Heaton, Dalot (and I dont rate him at all), Jones, Fred, Lindelof, McTominay, Fernandes

Thats a squad so far of 22 players of:

GK - 2
RB - 2
CB - 3
LB - 2
DM - 0
CM - 3
AM - 3
LW - 4
RW - 2
CF - 1

Can see purely numbers wise DM and CF are where we are weakest which are areas many have already mentioned, we actually have big numbers if not experience already in other areas, this is why we should sell a lot of the remaining players.

The definite outs are of course the contracts ending:

Pogba, LiNgard, Mata, Matic, Grant, Cavani

Leaves

GK
Henderson, rumoured to be unhappy - SELL

LB

Shaw - He does have the quality and contact a year left - KEEP
Telles - He simply cant defend and hasnt offered enough forwards either - SELL

CB

Bailly - I like him but the injuries, poor moments and wish for first team action - SELL
Tuanzabe - Despite odd great game failed to breakthrough here or on loan - SELL
Maguire - Purely because of numbers, wages he is on and experience, - KEEP (strip of captaincy though and fight for place with failure to move on next summer once cull has been done this year)

RB
Bissaka - Hands up, thought hed be a good signing and made progress last year, but regressed a lot and not sure he fits into a tactical system, he also holds transfer value - SELL

DM

We have none!

CM
Pereira - DOnt believe rumours of him comign back, never taken chances - SELL
VDB - Ten Hag knows him, but we have numbers and I expect an additional signing and again he holds value - SELL

AM

All options already retained

LW
Rashford - We have numbers and I dont buy into the confidence/injury thing or his past form has been so good as others say, been hit someotimes and mss jsut as often, but this season the desire, movement, quality, courage, desire is so poor, he has a year on his contract, would get plenty of interest and rumours of unrest 100% for me - SELL

Martial - LW or CF, the loan fail just shows cant trust in him, one good season - SELL

RW
All options retained

CF
Only option retained

So thats 15 players out for me, dont want to fo into fees but £150mish and a lot of wages off the books could pretty mcuh cover the £200m rumoured budget

So our squad after exits would be before additions:

GK DeGea - Heaton
LB - Shaw - Fernandez - Williams
CB Varane - Maguire - Lindelof - Mengi - Jones
RB Dalot - Laird
DM
CM Fred - Garner - McTominay
AM Fernandes - Hannibal - Shoetire
LW Sancho - Elanga - Garnacho - Chong
RW Amad - Pellestri
CF Ronaldo

I would loan out the bolded players where we are stacked.

SO in terms of ins we NEED 2 x DM options and 1 x CF option. In terms of quality really needing improving....1st choice CB, RB, CM, RW

So 7 signings I feel are needed this summer yes SEVEN, not even including a keeper, think we can call up a youngster of just an experinced keeper this summer for free such as Jognstone.

High on my signings were Vandervort who has agred a move and Livaramento who has a big injury, with so many needed I think we can rule out huge £60m+transfers especially those dont even sound keen such as DeJong and Id love Sulemana but cant sign another LW

CB Romagnoli - FREE left footed, leader, experienced and partly due to rb signing and cheap replacement for Maguire 2023

RB Jurrien Timber £40m - Knows sytem, intelligent positioning, possibly CB signing but allows Laird opportunities if he plays CB too, so can move into middle as well in a season and allow us to make a RB signign next summer

DM Kamara FREE - No brainer, specialised intelligent DM, free and lots of room for development as well

DM Tchouameni £50 - I;'d liek to say Enzo Fernandez but not seen him and also with Kamaras age and relative inexperience, we need a big signing in DM. I feel in certain games Tchouameni and Kamara can be a godo partnership as Tchouameni offers more than jsut DM. Camavinga was always my dream signing and Id love Rice or Bellingham but nto sure we can do another season of waiting with such few options

CM Caqueret £20m - Maybe small and technical, but works hard up and down, think he can be the DM playmaker, yougn and hungry and a much cheaper option that I feel could be a DeJong for us for a much cheaper price and wish to come here and I much prefer him to Neves/Tielmans for example. Lyon missed him massively v West Ham

RW - This is a tough one. Think with inverted wingers we may see Garnacho on the right. I really liek Doku but he is right footed has niggling injuries and still alittle raw, I rate ANtony Gordon but agai right footed. Raphina is a good player but instinct just says no. Ive not seen enough of him but Im not really that convinced by Antony personally from what I have, better than Neres who was highly rated but dont think he is top drawer.

I think from what I have seen in terms of age, how he is breakign through, has pace we dont really possess at the moment with Pellestri and Amad, I would probably go for

Moussa Diaby £45m

CF Giouri £45 - Followed him since youth football, massive talent, reminds me minus the aeriel proceess and hold up play of a yougn Benzema, intelligent, superb technique, good finishing, real star quality, seen more of him but Omsihen/Nunes £70m odd, get out of here, he is far more talented, my surprise big purchase of the summer and the perfect replacement for Greenwood as a CF

£200m maybe a little more, but wehave also made a lot of sales, savings on salaries too as dont expect many of these to be big wages and most imoortantly, cleared out the vast majority of ourcurrent problems in the squad whilst also covering most of next seasons possible sales nd we have lots of options

DeGea
Timber
Varane
Romagnoli
Shaw
Tchouameni
Caqueret
Fernandes
Sancho
Diaby
Ronaldo

Heaton
Laird
Lindelof
Maguire
Williams
Kamara
Fred
Hannibal
Elanga
GArnacho
Giouri

Alvaro Fernandeez, Jones, Dalot, Garner, McTominay, Amad, Pellestri, Shoetire

Secodn eleven weak in areas and inexperinced but there are still other options from the rest of the squad. Also think importantly there is much more aggresion, balance and intelligence in both sets of midfields which would protect a back four that would be more organised and reliable in the first eleven.

Doe that challenge for the title or chamions league - No. DOes it guarantee top four - NO. But there is more of a balance, players I feel would suit and coudl learn a sytem more, more energy, better pressing and also, still plenty of experience but there are a good 12 players or so around 21 years old, so there is a lot to work with longer term...bar GK and one CB there is actually potentially a quality first eleven of players all around that age 2/3 of which I feel have a real chance to be very good players for us.

Ok thats me done, no more of these
Great post, enjoyed reading it and in many ways I fully agree.

As for RW, what about Marco Asensio? One year left on his contract so could be attainable (transfermarkt says 40m euros). Left footed, goal threat & assists provider, good pace, and more suitable for posession-football rather than counter-play compared to fe.x. Rashord or whoever we got for RW. 26yo and still some resell value on him if other better option from within the cloub or externally arise the next years.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

Our midfield is non existent , and for next season I think we really need to bring in at least 3 new midfielders, 2 that are starting 11 quality, and one that can compete for a spot in CM/DM, that makes it 3+ Fred. Matic and Pogba are gone and after watching today's game, I don't want to see McTominay in the squad next season.

Hopefully we can get Tchouameni and Tielemans and promote Garner.

Marcus

Young players who have something to prove and are willing to learn and obey instructions from the coach.

jesperjaap

Great post, enjoyed reading it and in many ways I fully agree.

As for RW, what about Marco Asensio? One year left on his contract so could be attainable (transfermarkt says 40m euros). Left footed, goal threat & assists provinser, good pace, and more suitable for posession-football rather than counter-play compared to fe.x. Rashord or whoever we got for RW. 26yo and still some resell value on him if other better option from within the cloub or externally arise the next years.
Depends if he relly wants inverted wingers as it appears. I really struggled to think of many on the right. All the wingrs i reall like seem to be right footed left side players and maybe as squad players the likes of Amad move to that side added to wht we already have.

Asensio was a brilliant youngster, he seems to be very much a bit part player from what I see now which isnt a huge amont tbh since Spanish football moved from Sky. I went for Diaby mainly due to the pace as bar Garnacho if he moves over there and he is still very young all our right sied options at the moment dont seem to have genuine pace

jackal&hyde

Darwin Nunez is a must for me. Not often you can find such a complete package as a striker. Even rarer to see a lone striker shine against the likes of Van Dijk and Konate.
Is not a complete package, far from it actually. He has abysmal stats for passing and ball retention, like bottom 1% bad. It's his goal scoring that make him stand out and little else; his work rate too tbf.

Some noise from fan channels Dybala might be an option. On a free, can't say I'd be too upset to take Cavani's wages and give it to him. Not a great goal scorer but a good all round player with experience.

Devil may care

Ten Hag has a mammoth task ahead of him as there's not only incommings and outgoings but he has to try and get a tun out of Bruno, Maguire and Rashford as they won't be going anywhere this summer.

The defence is a shambles, we need a CB but even moreso we need a RB as our options are frankly the shits. Midfield is terrible as well, Bruno will no doubt start the season as part of the 3 but we need 2 new starters in there with him. In the forward line I think we need a versatile attacker as if Ronaldo is staying there's no point in buying one of these €80M pure #9's.

GK - De Gea/Johnstone

CB - Varane/Gvaridol/Lindelof/Maguire
RB - Timber/Dalot
LB - Shaw/Telles

DM - New signing/Garner
CM - New signing/Fred/McTominay
AM - Bruno/VdB/Hannibal

Forwards - Ronaldo/Sancho/Nkunku/Rashford/Elanga

I think the 2 defensive additions are young enough to accept no CL for a season and will need the first season to blood in, and they are at selling clubs. For the attack Nkunku is a talent that is not only hitting consistent form, he's versatile and works like a trooper if we aare going to properly implement a proper press.

Midfield I've left blank as I'm really not sure who we can get, I'd love Tchouameni and De Jong and I wouldn't be adverse to Rice but none of those 3 are likely. Phillips has been linked and he's not bad, then there's the other 2 PL midfielders Tielemans and Neves, the former I think lacks the mentality and the latter I worry he's not mobile enough, beyond those there's less proven players like Kamara, Caqueret, Vitinha and Matheus Nunes.

jackal&hyde

Ten Hag has a mammoth task ahead of him as there's not only incommings and outgoings but he has to try and get a tun out of Bruno, Maguire and Rashford as they won't be going anywhere this summer.

The defence is a shambles, we need a CB but even moreso we need a RB as our options are frankly the shits. Midfield is terrible as well, Bruno will no doubt start the season as part of the 3 but we need 2 new starters in there with him. In the forward line I think we need a versatile attacker as if Ronaldo is staying there's no point in buying one of these €80M pure #9's.

GK - De Gea/Johnstone

CB - Varane/Gvaridol/Lindelof/Maguire
RB - Timber/Dalot
LB - Shaw/Telles

DM - New signing/Garner
CM - New signing/Fred/McTominay
AM - Bruno/VdB/Hannibal

Forwards - Ronaldo/Sancho/Nkunku/Rashford/Elanga

I think the 2 defensive additions are young enough to accept no CL for a season and will need the first season to blood in, and they are at selling clubs. For the attack Nkunku is a talent that is not only hitting consistent form, he's versatile and works like a trooper if we aare going to properly implement a proper press.

Midfield I've left blank as I'm really not sure who we can get, I'd love Tchouameni and De Jong and I wouldn't be adverse to Rice but none of those 3 are likely. Phillips has been linked and he's not bad, then there's the other 2 PL midfielders Tielemans and Neves, the former I think lacks the mentality and the latter I worry he's not mobile enough, beyond those there's less proven players like Kamara, Caqueret, Vitinha and Matheus Nunes.
I've had similar thinking but the parts you left blank, the mid, are the sticking points. High quality first 11 players like De Jong and Tchouameni (that I also want and I think are a must; we can not cheap here) cost a lot, leaving little else for the others.

If we address the mid proper like we need, I think we will have little else for defense. Considering we will 100% also need attackers as we lack the numbers let alone quality.

Realistically, I think the defense will get little investment. Maguire is sure to be given another chance as I feel will Dalot and Shaw. With Jones and Bailley out I can only see a young, cheap player coming in, maybe even from the ones loaned out.

Blood Mage

Am I right in thinking that we have only signed two first team DMs in the last 16 years? Carrick in 2006 and Matic in 2017. We just don't like signing them for some reason, even though in the modern game it's arguably the most important position on the pitch. :houllier:

bosnian_red

Am I right in thinking that we have only signed two first team DMs in the last 16 years? Carrick in 2006 and Matic in 2017. We just don't like signing them for some reason, even though in the modern game it's arguably the most important position on the pitch. :houllier:
We tried with Schneiderlin but it didn't work out

philnguyen1994

Hagreaves, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger were meant as CDM signings for the first eleven as well, but they all flopped for different reasons.

Blind was an okay signing, but played in many different positions, not just CDM.