What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

MegadrivePerson

The biggest priority next season should be a GK that can play out from the back, A top striker to replace Ronaldo and a midfielder that can link the midfield from defence to attack.

Sanchez or Raya, De Jong and Osimhen would be a great summer and is easily affordable considering the money we'd save from getting De Gea and Ronaldo off the wage bill.

aeh1991

Planning Timber next to Martinez in the PL would be mental. I've always been a defender of Martinez as a short CB but we need a big CB partner for him. If we are looking for a RB there are better and more attacking players than Timber too. Doesn't rule out signing him one day as a backup but we need a quality physical CB to replace Maguire first.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
New faces, some old bollox... we really need to get a better chief exec and a DoF

THE INDEPENDENT

Manchester United's football director John Murtough insists the level of spending seen this summer will not be repeated by the club after the wage bill hit record levels

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
New faces, some old bollox... we really need to get a better chief exec and a DoF

THE INDEPENDENT

Manchester United's football director John Murtough insists the level of spending seen this summer will not be repeated by the club after the wage bill hit record levels
Did you expect that we will keep up those kind of 200m+ levels indefinitely? We normally spend around 75m-100m tops on average

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Did you expect that we will keep up those kind of 200m+ levels indefinitely? We normally spend around 75m-100m tops on average
in case you hadn't noticed, everything's become more expensive - seriously, though, it made it sound as if we'd be spending almost nothing plus if someone we need becomes available, we need to be bidding and not setting levels months beforehand

Tallis

Ronaldo, DDG and Maguire leaving should bring down those wages by £1.2m per week.
Then after that it should mean that we sell and replace:

Shaw and Telles -Alvaro?
AWB & Williams - backup RB
Bailly - new CB (Timber)?
DVB - new MF
Martial - new 9
Henderson - new goalie

The incomings would need to be funded clearly but hopefully we balance wages a bit. Hopefully, some of Amad, Mejbri, Alvaro, Zidane, Pellistri make the step up.

golden_blunder

Staff
in case you hadn't noticed, everything's become more expensive - seriously, though, it made it sound as if we'd be spending almost nothing plus if someone we need becomes available, we need to be bidding and not setting levels months beforehand
We need to set levels or we lose control of financials. We need to know our budget so we don’t exceed it.

edit; have you seen our financials thread? Doubt we will spend much in January or next summer

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We need to set levels or we lose control of financials. We need to know our budget so we don’t exceed it.

edit; have you seen our financials thread? Doubt we will spend much in January or next summer
well, then we are stuck miles behind the top two (at least) - doesn't say much for the running of the biggest club in the world...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have a read at the financials thread. It’s unrealistic to expect that spending 200+m is the ‘new norm’
I never said we had to spend that amount - I said it sounded as if we'd have much much less to spend - and we are still far from the finished article. If we are that big of a mess, some people need to have their abilities questioned

MegadrivePerson

I don't think we will need to spend big next summer, nor should we. ETH has shown that it's more about getting the right player for his system rather than throwing money at big names. If you think about it this is where we've gone wrong in the past with the likes of Maguire and Pogba. We now seem to be following a similar pattern to the way that Liverpool have recruited players under Klopp.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think we will need to spend big next summer, nor should we. ETH has shown that it's more about getting the right player for his system rather than throwing money at big names. If you think about it this is where we've gone wrong in the past with the likes of Maguire and Pogba. We now seem to be following a similar pattern to the way that Liverpool have recruited players under Klopp.
Klopp has spent a fair bit - and when prices weren't so inflated. To my mind, what he and Liverpool have done better is their net spend - they've managed to recoup money and get fees for players who clearly wanted to leave (or the club wanted to move on). Our clowns let contracts run down so that we get nothing back

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With how the finances are looking it doesn't seem like we'll be spending a lot in the coming transfer windows. And I think that could work to our advantage.

I think we've made very good purchases in the last transfer window, and with the financial picture looking a little bleak, it's important we strategize going forward with a holistic approach which should include some of the youth players at the club.

I think a striker and then a keeper should be prioritised for the summer window of 2023. I personally wanted to see us sign a creative midfield player with the agility/mobility to play the controlling role next to a positionally disciplined DM. But I think we might have potential solutions via the youth players when it comes to that specific role. Hannibal Mejbri and Zidane Iqbal are two players who could fulfil that role and even be utilised in a more advanced role due their versatility which is important in the approach ten Hag is working towards imo. Which adds a tactical flexibility that is required by the modern day head coach.

And with Dalot doing well as things stand in the RB position it might be worth having Ethan Laird as back up to Dalot for next season, depending on how he does on loan at QPR. But what we don't have is a striker and GK of a particular profile. And both profiles are required if we're to successfully transition to a proactive attacking side in possession and a proactive aggressive pressing team without the ball.

I personally hope we sell Henderson and release De Gea. That should free up a significant amount of money when it comes to wages and also bring in about £20m for Henderson via a transfer. And hopefully the money will go towards funding a new keeper who fits with the vision of playing a proactive attacking brand of football.

A striker is also required, and I'm hoping we can target someone in the £40m/£50M range who is a player on the cusp of being a top notch striker.

It's a evolving situation currently and my thoughts could change by the end of the season. But I'd like to see something like the below for the start of next season in some games.

-------------------Diogo Costa-------------
-----Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Malacia---
---------------Casemiro - Eriksen-------
----------Antony - Hannibal - Sancho---------
-------------------------Sesko-----------

I know we're not going to get Sesko anytime soon but I didn't know who else to put in there for now, maybe Gakpo?. But I think prioritising a striker and goalkeeper along with trying to develop some of the talented youth could work very well for us in our current financial predicament.

lenny_1248

We don't talk about Bruno?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
With how the finances are looking it doesn't seem like we'll be spending a lot in the coming transfer windows. And I think that could work to our advantage.

I think we've made very good purchases in the last transfer window, and with the financial picture looking a little bleak, it's important we strategize going forward with a holistic approach which should include some of the youth players at the club.

I think a striker and then a keeper should be prioritised for the summer window of 2023. I personally wanted to see us sign a creative midfield player with the agility/mobility to play the controlling role next to a positionally disciplined DM. But I think we might have potential solutions via the youth players when it comes to that specific role. Hannibal Mejbri and Zidane Iqbal are two players who could fulfil that role and even be utilised in a more advanced role due their versatility which is important in the approach ten Hag is working towards imo. Which adds a tactical flexibility that is required by the modern day head coach.

And with Dalot doing well as things stand in the RB position it might be worth having Ethan Laird as back up to Dalot for next season, depending on how he does on loan at QPR. But what we don't have is a striker and GK of a particular profile. And both profiles are required if we're to successfully transition to a proactive attacking side in possession and a proactive aggressive pressing team without the ball.

I personally hope we sell Henderson and release De Gea. That should free up a significant amount of money when it comes to wages and also bring in about £20m for Henderson via a transfer. And hopefully the money will go towards funding a new keeper who fits with the vision of playing a proactive attacking brand of football.

A striker is also required, and I'm hoping we can target someone in the £40m/£50M range who is a player on the cusp of being a top notch striker.

It's a evolving situation currently and my thoughts could change by the end of the season. But I'd like to see something like the below for the start of next season in some games.

I know we're not going to get Sesko anytime soon but I didn't know who else to put in there for now, maybe Gakpo?. But I think prioritising a striker and goalkeeper along with trying to develop some of the talented youth could work very well for us in our current financial predicament.
Absolutely and i agree that i would love to see the kids get a chance eventually. I think Maguire is leaving for sure which would leave us a cb short as well unless we keep Baily.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Absolutely and i agree that i would love to see the kids get a chance eventually. I think Maguire is leaving for sure which would leave us a cb short as well unless we keep Baily.
I also think Maguire will likely be moved on and we'll need to sign someone with a view to the new recruit being a possible long-term replacement for Varane.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see all of Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly leave at the end of the season, along with Phil Jones. So signing a CB with big potential could well be a real possibility.

MegadrivePerson

Klopp has spent a fair bit - and when prices weren't so inflated. To my mind, what he and Liverpool have done better is their net spend - they've managed to recoup money and get fees for players who clearly wanted to leave (or the club wanted to move on). Our clowns let contracts run down so that we get nothing back
Most of their signings have been for 40 million or less.
ETH has already shown with the signing of Tyrell Malacia that we don't necessarily need to sign big names, just young talented players that are hungry to improve. At Ajax he was never going to be able to attract the very best players and offer big wages. Even just by targeting the sort of players Ajax have been going after in recent years will be a massive step forward in our transfer strategy.

Reactions: Jippy

golden_blunder

Staff
Most of their signings have been for 40 million or less.
ETH has already shown with the signing of Tyrell Malacia that we don't necessarily need to sign big names, just young talented players that are hungry to improve. At Ajax he was never going to be able to attract the very best players and offer big wages. Even just by targeting the sort of players Ajax have been going after in recent years will be a massive step forward in our transfer strategy.
Aside from first signing after Edward’s leaves is Andy Carroll II for 100m

lex talionis

The striker situation needs to be sorted out before we even think about other positions. Maybe Martial comes good this season, but if he doesn’t and if there is a top striker in the market next summer that’s where we need to make a major investment.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The striker situation needs to be sorted out before we even think about other positions. Maybe Martial comes good this season, but if he doesn’t and if there is a top striker in the market next summer that’s where we need to make a major investment.
I've been saying that for almost two years!

croadyman

Back up to needing seven for first XI, well against City anyway

GK (thanks and goodbye Dave)
CB (Varane made of glass)
RB (Dalot not good enough)
DM (Erik don't fancy Casemiro)
CM (take pressure off Eriksen)
Wide player (can beat a man)
ST (presence and goalscorer)

Would say maybe four against the rest, depending on fitness levels of above existing players

GK
RB
CM
ST

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
James Maddison, reckon he is due a move and can be a cheaper acquisition given Leicester's situation.

Leandro Trossard, again cheap but looks like he is really hard working, dynamic, quick and can finish. Good squad player to have around and contract expires soon.

Last edited:

croadyman

James Maddison, reckon he is due a move and can be a cheaper acquisition given Leicester's situation.

Leandro Trossard, again cheap but looks like he is really hard working, dynamic, quick and can finish. Good squad player to have around and contract expires soon.
England have to take a top set piece taker to World Cup, however very likely that Southgate won't bother and just rely on what is there.

poleglass red

keeper, centre half, centre mid and centre forward, in which order I don't know it changes after certain games

croadyman

keeper, centre half, centre mid and centre forward, in which order I don't know it changes after certain games
Still make centre forward second behind GK even though I do worry about Varane staying fit, obviously need someone else who can offer that accurate passer other than Eriksen too.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still make centre forward second behind GK even though I do worry about Varane staying fit, obviously need someone else who can offer that accurate passer other than Eriksen too.
I am highly critical of DDG but agree that CF is more important right now - if for no other reason than we do have other keepers who might come in if needed and do a perfectly god job. We don't have a proper, natural goal scorer. Tell me I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet Halaand would have had at least a handful of goal even for us right now - and would possibly even guarantee a top-four finish

croadyman

I am highly critical of DDG but agree that CF is more important right now - if for no other reason than we do have other keepers who might come in if needed and do a perfectly god job. We don't have a proper, natural goal scorer. Tell me I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet Halaand would have had at least a handful of goal even for us right now - and would possibly even guarantee a top-four finish
No I would definitely agree with you on that

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Right now I wonder if a back-up for Eriksen should not be priority No 1 for this team?

Eriksen has been amazing, but can he be counted on for 40-50 games? Seems ill-advised.

His role is also really the heart beat of Ten Hag Ball. Guys like Shaw and Lindelöf can ‘fake’ ten Hag’s style, but from my POV you don’t want Fred doing that in Eriksen’s role. And Van de Beek isn’t that player either.

Who could we get for that role??

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Right now I wonder if a back-up for Eriksen should not be priority No 1 for this team?

Eriksen has been amazing, but can he be counted on for 40-50 games? Seems ill-advised.

His role is also really the heart beat of Ten Hag Ball. Guys like Shaw and Lindelöf can ‘fake’ ten Hag’s style, but from my POV you don’t want Fred doing that in Eriksen’s role. And Van de Beek isn’t that player either.

:nervous:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Scamacca would have been immense for us. They bought him for £35M
I wonder which type of forward Ten Hag would prefer here, a shadow striker like Tadic or a target player like Haller? Scamacca would have been perfect as a target forward, but especially if Rashford is playing I wonder if ETH wouldn’t prefer someone a bit more mobile and creative as No 9.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We were linked with Enzo Fernández in the summer, and he could be just what the doctor ordered. Capable of splitting the centerbacks, proficient in half-spaces and going from box to box, hard-headed like his international team-mate Lisandro, tactically astute and positionally smart, gifted ball progressor with a particular knack for making through-balls in the final third, works quite hard and a factor in pressing or counter-pressing situations, and possesses a good passing range. Only 21 years old so plenty of time for him to improve further (note: midfielders with his profile usually don't peak till their mid or late 20s). Won't be cheap now that he's giving a good account of his abilities in European football (vs. clubs like Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus), but any fee below €60 million would be money well spent.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
We were linked with Enzo Fernández in the summer, and he could be just what the doctor ordered. Capable of splitting the centerbacks, proficient in half-spaces and going from box to box, hard-headed like his international team-mate Lisandro, tactically astute and positionally smart, gifted ball progressor with a particular knack for making through-balls in the final third, works quite hard and a factor in pressing or counter-pressing situations, and possesses a good passing range. Only 21 years old so plenty of time for him to improve further (note: midfielders with his profile usually don't peak till their mid or late 20s). Won't be cheap now that he's giving a good account of his abilities in European football (vs. clubs like Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus), but any fee below €60 million would be money well spent.
Loves the looks of that kid!

Eriksen is really a god sent because he gives us time to develop our own version. These real play makers that can dictate the pace as well as someone like Eriksen can do are so hard to find.

I of course get why ETH is desperate to get de Jong, but preferably we can develop our own version of him; like I rather repeat getting a young Modric from Tottenham or a young Kevin de Bruyne from Wolfsburg than paying a ton to get de Jong…

Last edited:

IFC 1905

Benfica paid 18M for him and his clause is 120 I think. I don't think they'll let him out for less than 80.

and yeah I dream with him pairing with Casemiro in this united team.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Benfica paid 18M for him and his clause is 120 I think. I don't think they'll let him out for less than 80.

and yeah I dream with him pairing with Casemiro in this united team.
I hate these release clauses negotiated by the agents, it’s a joke.

As someone representing a player, you could not convince them that if they buy a player for 18, they have to accept an offer of like 70? Why 120?? It’s a deal breaker for Benfica if it’s 110? Benfica is a stepping stone. This is not a team putting their future in the hands of a player.

Its 120m because nobody cares the negotiate it. The agents only look to their own interest with these clauses. A ‘reasonable’ release clause results in a potentially smooth transfer, they don’t want that since it reduces their role, the importance of their contacts, down the ride.

DutchCruijff

We're broken. We're so so broken. We still need major investment despite spending £200m+ this summer.

We desperately need a DoF too.

Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro and Eriksen are the only players that I'd be dead cert to keep around as regulars.

There needs to be signings in January. Minimum we need to go for is a RB to compete with Dalot, a FW (Gapko - he's, however, in a title fight) and a CM.

How much? Around £120m, I'd say. And yes, that's a significant amount but we need to spend. We can't make the same mistake as last January. UCL football is crucial.

As for long term, GK, RB, CM, CM, W and #9 is needed.

We need two CMs as none of Fred, McTominay, Fernandes or van de Beek are good enough and Eriksen is ageing + fatigued.

The likes of De Gea, Maguire, Williams, Tuanzebe, AWB, VDB, Fred and Elanga need to be made surplus to requirements. Pellistri too. There's a good £100m there (saving around £10-15m purely from De Gea off the books).

This January? The minimum must be a RB, CM and FW. No excuses.

Dalot cannot go the whole campaign without rest, we cannot have a gaping hole in our team for a season and we cannot rely solely on an OAP Ronaldo and crocked Martial.