What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Midfield is priority but we need deep playmaker kind of midfield to play in Eriksen role not someone that plays in Casemiro or Fred’s or McTominay‘s role. Money is obviously limited considering we need to sign striker, deep playmaker, and May be even centre back or even right back. Caicedo would be ideal to replace Casemiro in the future but I think finding another player to play in Eriksen role is more important.
His right leg perhaps
I think Caicedo can play cm, it looks like he has good vision and can keep the ball under pressure, like Eriksen. 70m or so is a bit much though, I do agree on that. Look at our midfield:
Casemiro - CDM - 30
Fred - b2b - 29
Eriksen - CM - 29
McTominay - b2b - 26
That's it. Behind Casemiro we have no natural backup and have to shuffle others around instead of playing one of them alongside a CDM alternative. At 30 we need to protect Casemiro and rest him once in a while if he's gonna last for us. All our midfielders become better by playing alongside a DM, so the investment is a smart one, if he is the right player it's definitely worth it to just get it done. We have certain youngsters like Mejbri, Iqbal, Isak h-a etc. who might get a chance to play in midfield in a couple of years, it shouldn't be alongside McTominay at CDM, not once.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
https://www.transfermarkt.com/hidemasa-morita/leistungsdaten/spieler/524315

I wouldn’t mind someone like Hidermasa Morita on loan from Sporting. Heart and soul player. Can play CDM/CM and even some RB/CB. Played all games for Japan at the World Cup. Not sure if his passing foot really is up to the task, but have never followed him closely, if it were, I think it would be perfect.

Sporting is out of the CL. There are a few teams like that around Europe. We won’t get any players for free from teams still fighting for CL spots in the stands, competing in the CL or whatever.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think Caicedo can play cm, it looks like he has good vision and can keep the ball under pressure, like Eriksen. 70m or so is a bit much though, I do agree on that. Look at our midfield:
Casemiro - CDM - 30
Fred - b2b - 29
Eriksen - CM - 29
McTominay - b2b - 26
That's it. Behind Casemiro we have no natural backup and have to shuffle others around instead of playing one of them alongside a CDM alternative. At 30 we need to protect Casemiro and rest him once in a while if he's gonna last for us. All our midfielders become better by playing alongside a DM, so the investment is a smart one, if he is the right player it's definitely worth it to just get it done. We have certain youngsters like Mejbri, Iqbal, Isak h-a etc. who might get a chance to play in midfield in a couple of years, it shouldn't be alongside McTominay at CDM, not once.
I do like him, he just won’t be cheap. 50m+ I reckon

dinostar77

We definately need a understudy or an alternative for eriksen. We dont have anyone else in the squad who links defence and attack like he does. Obviously frenkie would be ideal, but if we are restricted on budget this summer and have to think creatively when it comes to signings, i wonder who utd would go for?

roseguy64

Casemiro - CDM - 30
Fred - b2b - 29
Eriksen - CM - 29
McTominay - b2b - 26
Signing Caicedo at what he'll cost to backup Casemiro is madness.

Bojan Djordjic

What do you all think about Mateo Kovačić for the CM position ? He will enter the last year of his contract in the summer and he is currently considering his options.

Surely with us in CL next year and Chelsea possibly without continental football at all we could attract him. IMO he is one of the finest midfielders around when it comes to progressing the ball forward and his work out of possession is very good.

Been excellent at WC too. I would take him in a heartbeat for around £40m in the summer.
I think at some point we have to start taking a longer-term view. If we want to build another team with the ability to win competitions over time, we have to move away from players that are past their peak or we are going to have to do a sizeable rebuild every three years.

Bojan Djordjic

We definately need a understudy or an alternative for eriksen. We dont have anyone else in the squad who links defence and attack like he does. Obviously frenkie would be ideal, but if we are restricted on budget this summer and have to think creatively when it comes to signings, i wonder who utd would go for?
Depends what you mean by budget. Bennacer has a €50mn release clause in his contract and that while still being expensive would be good value. Enzo le Fée is a lovely little player who's a great press resistant dribbler/passer but is also very defensively active despite being quite short. Another player is Azzedine Ounahi at Angers who was excellent for Morrocco at the world cup but might be a bit lightweight for us.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Signing Caicedo at what he'll cost to backup Casemiro is madness.
Well. We have paid 40m for VDB who's not even a backup to our backup. We've paid 50m for a young Martial who still contributes at a lower value. 50m for AWB who was seen as a backup RB only a few months ago. 40m for an over the hill Matic. 35m for Depay. 30m for Schneiderlin. 50m is pretty much the going rate at the moment, for any player who has interested the bigger clubs. If he is the right player, he is worth it if he isn't then he isn't. Being a backup at first and costing a lot of money isn't telling me he would be a bad signing.

Lux Thunder

I think at some point we have to start taking a longer-term view. If we want to build another team with the ability to win competitions over time, we have to move away from players that are past their peak or we are going to have to do a sizeable rebuild every three years.
I see your point, but I think a club of this size has to think both long term and short term, building a team for the future but also staying competitive in present and this team is not far from it.

We are not Dortmund to think about the age of players or resale value, only real question is that does he improve us or not. We all see what an impact signings players like Varane or Casemiro can make, who we all thought that they have won everything in the game and that they are coming here for the last big contract. And Kovačić is 28, just entered his prime, far from that he passed his peak and we could look to explore him as an option as Chelsea is in such a mess at moment.

If you want someone to start as #8 alongside Casemiro, Kovačić would be a perfect player IMO. Young exciting talents will always be discovered, from season to season, so you'll always be able to find a "next big thing" to replace aging players in the future. Look at Enzo, a year ago he wasn't even in Europe and today he is valued at 100m.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Great point, and I think that is why its so important to spend the limited funds we have on the right long term solution, and fill other holes with short term solutions. We need 5-6 new players, if we only sign established players with a pedigree that is 500-600m which we won't have, even with new owners. Would much rather spend 125m on 2 guys -- say a striker and a CM -- that can be here for 10 years and then bring in 2-3 suspects for for a total of 50m or whatever.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Striker and right back and then we’re into organic rebuild/replacing first teamers as they age such as DeGea/Varane/Casemiro/Eriksen over the next few years

Valencia Shin Crosses

Striker: We know all of the names by now. I prefer someone technically gifted that can also press from the front
2 CM's: One to fill the Eriksen role with preferebly better carrying skills, and another that's a bit more defensive minded to replace McTominay's spot. Enzo, Caicedo, FdJ are my favorite targets here but you can also find players for cheaper as the second signing.
CB: Need one to fill the Maguire/Lindelof hole. I've long said Ndicka would be great as he's a FA this summer, but someone in that mold that can be a deputy to Varane and still play plenty
GK: Obvious one and arguably the second most important change. We need a true sweeper/distributor from the back, especially if we plan to compete for trophies and in the CL. DDG is just going to get us pressed into oblivion against any big side, they know he's never a danger from the back and it's an automatic possession win for them.

CM10

The whole spine of the team needs strengthening. Striker and midfielder are the obvious ones for the starting eleven but we need someone who can cover for Varane if he gets injured with a view to replacing him as he gets older.

There are a couple more positions which could be improved but probably won't. Goalkeeper is one. De Gea will get a new contract and that will get kicked down the road with us likely signing another low cost backup. Right back is the other - I'm still not convinced Wan-Bissaka is the most suitable for ten Hag's football but he's serviceable cover for Dalot so probably won't be sold unless we receive a good bid.

avgp_1

Depends what you mean by budget. Bennacer has a €50mn release clause in his contract and that while still being expensive would be good value. Enzo le Fée is a lovely little player who's a great press resistant dribbler/passer but is also very defensively active despite being quite short. Another player is Azzedine Ounahi at Angers who was excellent for Morrocco at the world cup but might be a bit lightweight for us.

Yes Le Fee has grown on me this season. He looks so composed now. Should be under 30m too considering they are asking similar for their top scorer Moffi

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Joey Veerman who were linked to in the summer seems like he could be a good understudy Casemiro.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

A bit misleading, since there are some fantastic signings in there. But one thing stuck out when I watched that game — in this era where the ‘play out from the back’/possession seeking teams dominating — the value of the striker is just not what it was.

It’s not even remotely as important as like it is if you play like say Mourinho 15 years ago or whatever. For long periods, they are just there to occupy the CBs.

lex talionis

No news flash here, but we need a striker.

Others have mentioned a RB but we’re actually pretty well set with Dalot and AWB. Perhaps we could sniff around for the next Casemiro as I am worried about the drop off in quality once he’s off the pitch, but we usually go to a double pivot. Others have mentioned a keeper, which is ridiculous but this is the social media world we live in.

I’m not sure there’s enough room in the squad for both Anthony, Sancho and Rashford but that’s a topic for a different thread. In any event, we don’t need to spend big on either a RW or LW this summer.

Bring in a proper 9 and drop Martial to the bench. Or, depending on how Wout does, keep Wout and sell Martial.

croadyman

For the starting XI:

- Striker
- Eriksen replacement
- GK
So would you take

Kane (still don't see Levy selling to us)
De Jong (if he grows some balls)
Costa

What positions do we need to prioritise this summer in terms of squad depth (new owners permitting)

Last edited:

daba

Shaping up to be our last window of this rebuild where we are filling gaps. If we were to do something like the below we’d be on the right path of organically developing the squad for the coming years.

In:

ST - Kane or G. Ramos 60m
CM - De Jong or Caicedo 60-70m
CB - Bella-Kotchap 30m (if Soton go down)
RB - Gusto or Frimpong 35m (if we want rid of AWB)

Out:

Lindelof or Maguire - 25-35m
AWB - 25m
Elanga - 20m
Donny - loan

Net spend = £115m

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
The reports of us being interested in Nelson Semedo could be a bit interesting. Like even if we don't rate our scouts that high, there is absolutely no chance that we actually rate Semedo in any way, shape or form. He is one of the big reasons for why Wolves have struggled this season. Which in its turn obviously is the reason for why they want AWB to start with. Semedo's contract is up in 6 months.

But we "just" need a back-up for Dalot. Would you do AWB for 30m plus a 6 month loan of Semedo? Fabrizio reported that we only would get more players if we could sell AWB. That doesn't make a ton of sense, since if we sell AWB, we still must get a RB and it doesn't free up any funds to fix the glaring holes we have elsewhere. But with 30m + Semedo, Semedo could back-up Dalot while we could afford to sign a player like Joey Veerman for say 20-25m who would improve our depth at CM tremendously.

Bojan Djordjic

No news flash here, but we need a striker.

Others have mentioned a RB but we’re actually pretty well set with Dalot and AWB. Perhaps we could sniff around for the next Casemiro as I am worried about the drop off in quality once he’s off the pitch, but we usually go to a double pivot. Others have mentioned a keeper, which is ridiculous but this is the social media world we live in.

I’m not sure there’s enough room in the squad for both Anthony, Sancho and Rashford but that’s a topic for a different thread. In any event, we don’t need to spend big on either a RW or LW this summer.

Bring in a proper 9 and drop Martial to the bench. Or, depending on how Wout does, keep Wout and sell Martial.
I'm sorry but this isn't just a social media thing at all. Tifo have even done a video which explains it well.

I know people think that shot-stopping is the most important thing a goalkeeper does but even if that is true, which is quite debatable in a dominant team facing less and less shots, his shot stopping is only measuring out at average this season. Given he's arguably the worst keeper in the premiership, and certainly among top clubs, in the other gk areas, (sweeping, claiming high crosses, playing out from the back, communications), I don't see a case for why we should persist with him especially when we are paying him the salary befitting one of the best striker, creative players in the league and double that of the actual best goalkeeper in the world, Alisson.

lex talionis

I'm sorry but this isn't just a social media thing at all. Tifo have even done a video which explains it well.

I know people think that shot-stopping is the most important thing a goalkeeper does but even if that is true, which is quite debatable in a dominant team facing less and less shots, his shot stopping is only measuring out at average this season. Given he's arguably the worst keeper in the premiership, and certainly among top clubs, in the other gk areas, (sweeping, claiming high crosses, playing out from the back, communications), I don't see a case for why we should persist with him especially when we are paying him the salary befitting one of the best striker, creative players in the league and double that of the actual best goalkeeper in the world, Alisson.
Worst keeper in the premiership?

I’ve heard it all now.

Bojan Djordjic

Worst keeper in the premiership?

I’ve heard it all now.
Is reading comprehension always difficult for you? I said arguably the worst keeper in the premiership at claiming crosses, sweeping and playing from the back. Everything except for shot-stopping. This is where you are suppose to rebut my statement with facts if you disagree.

NoPace

A bit misleading, since there are some fantastic signings in there. But one thing stuck out when I watched that game — in this era where the ‘play out from the back’/possession seeking teams dominating — the value of the striker is just not what it was.

It’s not even remotely as important as like it is if you play like say Mourinho 15 years ago or whatever. For long periods, they are just there to occupy the CBs.
Eh, Welbeck danced Gomez 1 on 1 to score a great goal.

LW has become the star attacking position these days, though, yeah. Move the ball around the right side then get it horizontal to your shiftiest player at LW like we did to get Garnacho the ball to set up the winner against City.

IRONTUSK

Striker has to be priority
Kane/Osimhen/Ramos think Ramos might be a bit cheaper but not sure he would score as many in his first few seasons anyway and not sure we have time on our side. We need to capitalise whilst we have Varane/Casimero still in their prime. Just get Kane in.

People mentioning GK but is De Gea not being offered a new contract? no way we go for another GK unless we get someone on the cheap. I can see this being done the following summer with De Gea then leaving.

CM
De Jong

I think we are ok at RB although if AWB goes then we will need a replacement.
Timber would be an interesting option as he could cover both CB/RB
Sell Maguire and try to offload Martial and perhaps try and sign Wout if not too expensive as a back up striker/rotation option.

lex talionis

Is reading comprehension always difficult for you? I said arguably the worst keeper in the premiership at claiming crosses, sweeping and playing from the back. Everything except for shot-stopping. This is where you are suppose to rebut my statement with facts if you disagree.
“Arguably”.

Sorry amigo, but it is no more “arguable” that De Gea is the “worst keeper in the league” than it is that world is flat. After all, if you look out the window the world does indeed appear to be flat.

Anyone can “argue” that the world is flat or that De Gea is the worst keeper in the league, but one would be hilariously, yet at the same time sadly, wrong.

Bojan Djordjic

“Arguably”.

Sorry amigo, but it is no more “arguable” that De Gea is the “worst keeper in the league” than it is that world is flat. After all, if you look out the window the world does indeed appear to be flat.

Anyone can “argue” that the world is flat or that De Gea is the worst keeper in the league, but one would be hilariously, yet at the same time sadly, wrong.
Try reading it again amigo but slow down this time. I'm speaking about specific elements of the game.

dinostar77

What do you all think about Mateo Kovačić for the CM position ? He will enter the last year of his contract in the summer and he is currently considering his options.

Surely with us in CL next year and Chelsea possibly without continental football at all we could attract him. IMO he is one of the finest midfielders around when it comes to progressing the ball forward and his work out of possession is very good.

Been excellent at WC too. I would take him in a heartbeat for around £40m in the summer.
This is interesting left field thinking. Seeing as chelsea squad is now bloated and they need to get rid of some players in the summer. A cheeky bid for kovacic could be a good idea. Plus there should be plenty of footage of him playing at madrid with casemiro to get an idea if it would work. PL proven and just 27.

croadyman

This is interesting left field thinking. Seeing as chelsea squad is now bloated and they need to get rid of some players in the summer. A cheeky bid for kovacic could be a good idea. Plus there should be plenty of footage of him playing at madrid with casemiro to get an idea if it would work. PL proven and just 27.
Only need to look at the difference he made when we played Chelsea in October

Lux Thunder

IMO he is the closest FDJ type of player I can imagine, very good progressive #8. He will also bring plenty of experience for someone who is still 28, reunion with Varane and Casemiro is just another bonus. Personally, would rather have Kovačić for £40m + big striker singing than splashing £100m+ on Enzo or Bellingham failing short to bring a noteworthy #9.

Bonus info: His idol/role model is Paul Scholes and he admitted a few years ago in an interview that he still watches his clips to learn from him and his game. :drool:

dinostar77

IMO he is the closest FDJ type of player I can imagine, very good progressive #8. He will also bring plenty of experience for someone who is still 28, reunion with Varane and Casemiro is just another bonus. Personally, would rather have Kovačić for £40m + big striker singing than splashing £100m+ on Enzo or Bellingham failing short to bring a noteworthy #9.

Bonus info: His idol/role model is Paul Scholes and he admitted a few years ago in an interview that he still watches his clips to learn from him and his game. :drool:
Lets hope someone from our scouting team has had the same thoughts.

NoPace

Caicedo looked okay in the right half-space for Ecuador in the World Cup, so he might fit okay here with Bruno or Eriksen on the left of the 3 since they're both more dangerous there anyways as we don't cross the ball much (though things change if we buy Osimhen).

So, I could see something like Pellistri and 50M for Caicedo.

Then you sell McTominay and Maguire for 25M each to the obvious suckers in Newcastle/West Ham/Villa and you've spent no money and we only have a #9 to sign, and maybe De Gea leaves for a passing keeper, though that can probably wait and if we can get his wages to a more normal number, he can sign a 2 year deal and then be sold in the summer of 2024 fairly easily.

croadyman

Caicedo looked okay in the right half-space for Ecuador in the World Cup, so he might fit okay here with Bruno or Eriksen on the left of the 3 since they're both more dangerous there anyways as we don't cross the ball much (though things change if we buy Osimhen).

So, I could see something like Pellistri and 50M for Caicedo.

Then you sell McTominay and Maguire for 25M each to the obvious suckers in Newcastle/West Ham/Villa and you've spent no money and we only have a #9 to sign, and maybe De Gea leaves for a passing keeper, though that can probably wait and if we can get his wages to a more normal number, he can sign a 2 year deal and then be sold in the summer of 2024 fairly easily.
See Caicedo going to Chelsea before deadline day, in terms of us we need to focus on first XI issues

ST - Kane/Osimhen/Vlahovic/Sesko
CM - De Jong/Fernandez

We then should look at adding some squad depth which doesn't cost the earth

RB - Gusto/Walker-Peters
CB - Min Jae/N'dicka
CDM - Rabiot
CM/AM - Tielemans
ST - Thuram

Some of these are free agents so won't cost the earth but if we get rich new owners can maybe push out boat