What do we still need? Post Summer 2015 edition.

Super Nani

Absolute nonsense.

The idea that having CL football next season changes our recruitment options at all is misguided.

Even if we did have CL football, we would have zero chance of winning it.

It's all about money. If we pay the offer the right amounts, we will get who we want.

We do also need to show that we have a plan in the coming years to challenge for trophies. But next year means nothing.
I'm glad you're so confident but I think us missing out on footballs top competition will definitely affect who we can sign. We can only throw our money around so much right? The clubs in a sorry state right now and we will have stiff competition whoever we try to bring in.

With the extra money clubs will be getting from tv right they really don't need to sell players they don't want to. If our fans are still under the illusion that we can simply use our financial muscle to force clubs into selling us whoever we want then they have their blinkers on.

We will see in the summer but in our current state with no European football to offer and with LvG in charge I don't see too many players at top clubs jumping to sign for us but fair enough if you think otherwise.

NoPace

We aren't Liverpool, Spurs or some other club dependant on CL football to attract big players. We're filthy rich.
City are even richer and need a RW desperately, as do we. You don't think CL football would affect Griezmann if we get into a battle with them for him?

We also need a 9 and Ibra is the best one out there. Not crazy to think that Ibra might only sign for a CL team, considering his age and that he's never won the CL but has won a million leagues.

I think the relevant factors are money, manager, club size, league/country you play in, city the players are living in, if you have CL football, players you already have and likely playing time. Money is the main one, but City and Chelsea have money too and need to strength, probably at some of the same positions as us (CB, RW and box to box CM for both assuming Yaya does leave as rumoured).

I think all this stuff matters.

Jinn

We need three players and a new manager.
CB, RW, Striker...mourinho?

All 3 should be of the highest quality. The rest of the positions can be filled with promising young talent like the kid Renato Sanchez.
No mucking about, get it done!

Dong Fangzhuo

Just having deep pockets and paying the right amountside is enough.

We also have a track record of success and a near unparalleled global fan base. And play in the increasingly most prestigious league.

We will have no problems whatsoever signing players this summer.
Agree with this for the most part, with the caveat that if LvG is still our manager it will pose a problem for our recruitment plans. The only way no CL will impact our transfer options sans LvG is if we're going up against City/Arsenal for a player (Spurs/Leicester we'll just blow out of the water on wages/agent fees).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Agree with this for the most part, with the caveat that if LvG is still our manager it will pose a problem for our recruitment plans. The only way no CL will impact our transfer options sans LvG is if we're going up against City/Arsenal for a player (Spurs/Leicester we'll just blow out of the water on wages/agent fees).
The usual obsession with money continues, as if every player will simply sign for the club offering the biggest immediate wages. But:

* All players will strongly prefer to play in the CL rather the EL.
* Many will prefer to live in London, rather than Manchester.
* Some will consider the longer-term, such as (for young players): how much playing time will I get and/or how much of a chance will the manager give me to establish myself in the first XI?
* Some will look at where the club finished in the league last time around, who else plays for them, the manager's playing-style and the direction in which the club is heading.

Infra-red

We're not operating in a vacuum, having deep pockets doesn't set us apart from our rivals. Real, Barca, Bayern, City, PSG, even Arsenal are all just as capable of meeting, for example, Griezmann's release clause and keeping him and his agent happy with sufficiently large stacks of money for the duration of his new contract. None of them will begin negotiations having to explain to the player why they've failed to qualify for the CL for the second time in three years.

Dong Fangzhuo

The usual obsession with money continues, as if every player will simply sign for the club offering the biggest immediate wages. But:

* Some will consider the longer-term, such as (for young players): how much playing time will I get and/or how much of a chance will the manager give me to establish myself in the first XI?
* Some will look at where the club finished in the league last time around, who else plays for them, the manager's playing-style and the direction in which the club is heading.
Those are all valid points (to varying degrees though imo), but money is almost always going to be the #1 deciding factor, it's only when the offers are relatively close that they will consider those other factors. London over Manchester is the biggest plus Spurs have over United. One season of guaranteed CL football won't move the needle all that much. Despite our recent downswing and Spurs upswing, most will still expect United to make more CL appearances over the next 10 years of their careers than Spurs, simply because money.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
A right sided player and a number 9, and a younger midfielder such as renato sanches

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I'm glad you're so confident but I think us missing out on footballs top competition will definitely affect who we can sign. We can only throw our money around so much right? The clubs in a sorry state right now and we will have stiff competition whoever we try to bring in.

With the extra money clubs will be getting from tv right they really don't need to sell players they don't want to. If our fans are still under the illusion that we can simply use our financial muscle to force clubs into selling us whoever we want then they have their blinkers on.

We will see in the summer but in our current state with no European football to offer and with LvG in charge I don't see too many players at top clubs jumping to sign for us but fair enough if you think otherwise.
Most of the points you are making here refer to the fact that there are a handful of clubs that have equal resources to us and that the PL teams are all financially comfortable enough to tell us to feck off.

I agree 100% with these points and the competition for talent this summer is going to be ferocious. However, this has little to do with whether we are in the CL next season or not.

Of course there are other factors but no are even remotely as important as the money. It is by far the single biggest factor. A distant second is the chance of winning trophies/glory.

If you think players are going to look at Spurs and think they are more likely to be winning trophies than United and Chelsea based on this last season, you are deluded.

We're not operating in a vacuum, having deep pockets doesn't set us apart from our rivals. Real, Barca, Bayern, City, PSG, even Arsenal are all just as capable of meeting, for example, Griezmann's release clause and keeping him and his agent happy with sufficiently large stacks of money for the duration of his new contract. None of them will begin negotiations having to explain to the player why they've failed to qualify for the CL for the second time in three years.
Absolutely. It is going to be extremely difficult for us to sign top players as the competition is going to fierce. Fees and wages are going to be mind boggling.

I am unsure that even with our resources, we will be able to add five quality additions this summer.

It cost Real over £220m in 2009 to go from average to a quality team. I can't imagine what signing those players would cost in 2016.

mu4c_20le

We need an experienced defender. Fergie always built his teams from the back for a good reason. You can't play effective attacking football without a solid back line to break up the plays. We let go of both Rio and Vidic and failed to replace them properly, Rojo is average and sometimes just poor. Jones doesn't seem consistent enough, and we may well have simply kept young Jonny Evans around if he didn't mind being in rotation. I think we should go for Hummels again, and build the back line around him. Fosu Mensah can play almost anywhere and I see his future in midfield, probably an anchorman who can make driving runs, like Essien.

Memphis and Januzaj have got to sort themselves out, because we need a creative attacker in their mould. I would give them some more time as they are still young, but keep an eye on the market if anyone exciting becomes available.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... Of course there are other factors but no are even remotely as important as the money. It is by far the single biggest factor. A distant second is the chance of winning trophies/glory.

If you think players are going to look at Spurs and think they are more likely to be winning trophies than United and Chelsea based on this last season, you are deluded.
... .
All your money huff and money puff doesn't stop Spurs from attracting excellent players. Alli, Dier, Alderweireld, Lloris, Dembele, Eriksen, Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Gascoigne, Ginola, Klinsmann ... the list goes on and on. If you think this process is going to end then it's you who are deluded.

You seem to live in this fantasy world where money blows everything away ... and you constantly talk about absurd bids for players that are never going to come to United, Kane being the latest fantasy example.

Even in terms of income Spurs are not some minnow club, but will likely be in the global top 10 (currently 12th) in the next 2 years. Like or not, Spurs remain a competitor in the transfer market.

KingMinger22

All your money huff and money puff doesn't stop Spurs from attracting excellent players. Alli, Dier, Alderweireld, Lloris, Dembele, Eriksen, Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Gascoigne, Ginola, Klinsmann ... the list goes on and on. If you think this process is going to end then it's you who are deluded.

You seem to live in this fantasy world where money blows everything away ... and you constantly talk about absurd bids for players that are never going to come to United, Kane being the latest fantasy example.

Even in terms of income Spurs are not some minnow club, but will likely be in the global top 10 (currently 12th) in the next 2 years. Like or not, Spurs remain a competitor in the transfer market.
I don't doubt Spurs have has some good buys and will likely in the future. They aren't competition for United for players though.

KingMinger22

I also do not think for a second that Kane is likely to move this summer.

I do think, however, he will in the next two years unless Spurs pay him the market rate for a star player like heveryone is. I can't see how anyone would dispute that.

Art Vandelay

I don't doubt Spurs have has some good buys and will likely in the future. They aren't competition for United for players though.
They will have CL football and a team that looks like it's on the up. We won't have the CL football and have a team that somehow needs rebuilt. The past couple of season are going to bite us in the transfer market at some point.

They will also have the CL money, new TV deal money and new stadium. I don't see why they wouldn't pay Kane the money he deserves if he continues to perform or why he would want to leave other than for money.

We aren't top dogs at the minute, the landscape has changed. We do have the resources to get back to the top, but we need to first sort out the squandering of those resources and get our act together before we can start thinking ourselves above teams like Spurs in the transfer market again. We can't delude ourselves here, we are still a huge club but we have given everyone around us a head start.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If Spurs ever beat us to a player that we are expecting to go straight in to our first team it will signal the end for us as one of the biggest clubs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The clamour to play for United in the Europa League would not be especially deafening. United's stock has fallen rather more than you seem to think.

Dong Fangzhuo

Spurs pay Dele Alli what, 25k p/w? United pay Martial around 100k p/w. If both clubs are in for whoever the hottest prospect is this summer, you can be sure United will blow Spurs out of the water. London, CL, whatever. Same goes for established superstars, we'll offer 200k p/w, you'll offer 80k p/w. It won't be a contest. Lower profile players, where the offers are closer are where you'd stand a chance.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs pay Dele Alli what, 25k p/w? United pay Martial around 100k p/w. If both clubs are in for whoever the hottest prospect is this summer, you can be sure United will blow Spurs out of the water. London, CL, whatever. Same goes for established superstars, we'll offer 200k p/w, you'll offer 80k p/w. It won't be a contest. Lower profile players, where the offers are closer are where you'd stand a chance.
Remind me again which of the two is in the running for the PFA Young Player of the Year? Looks like the hottest prospect signed for Spurs last time around, just as Bale and others have done previously. Moreover, you've committed to paying anything up to 12 times more for Martial than what Spurs paid for Alli ... so your "blowing us out of the water" policy doesn't seem to be working that well.

And yes, you pay bucket loads in wages for "established superstars" ... but unfortunately they've either been over the-the-hill players looking for one last big pay-day (e.g. Schweinsteiger) or players who just didn't fit with what's needed (e.g. di Maria).

So by all means carry on in the same megabucks vein this summer. It's no substitute for what really counts.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Right sided attacker, everything else we can cope without, but where desperate for a player who can fill that position for us.

Dong Fangzhuo

Remind me again which of the two is in the running for the PFA Young Player of the Year? Looks like the hottest prospect signed for Spurs last time around, just as Bale and others have done previously. Moreover, you've committed to paying anything up to 12 times more for Martial than what Spurs paid for Alli ... so your "blowing us out of the water" policy doesn't seem to be working that well.

And yes, you pay bucket loads in wages for "established superstars" ... but unfortunately they've either been over the-the-hill players looking for one last big pay-day (e.g. Schweinsteiger) or players who just didn't fit with what's needed (e.g. di Maria).

So by all means carry on in the same megabucks vein this summer. It's no substitute for what really counts.
Strawman much? We're talking about the hypothetical scenario where a Martial or a Di Maria type player is choosing between United and Spurs, not the efficiency of the respective clubs financial approach. Let's just keep the goalposts where they were, ok?

Dante

Average bang
We need creativity in the attacking positions. With Martial and Rashford showing promise as strikers, I think we need to concentrate on the 3 behind them in a 4-2-3-1.

I reckon we should try and buy back Nani, plus bringing in a superstar like Koke as well as a cheap option like Ayew.

A 3 of

Nani -- Ayew -- Koke

would work. If we switch to a front 3, the wingers could be

Ayew -- Koke

An alternative 3 might be

Ayew -- Koke -- Nani

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Strawman much? We're talking about the hypothetical scenario where a Martial or a Di Maria type player is choosing between United and Spurs, not the efficiency of the respective clubs financial approach. Let's just keep the goalposts where they were, ok?
Your hypothetical scenario will never arrive. Spurs are not in the market for players that cost £60m and/or want huge wages. I'm content for United to pursue all the expensive players out there in attempt to buy your way out of decline.

Bwuk

Putting it out there and probably putting my neck on the line for ridicule.

If Rashford keeps scoring I don't want us to sign another striker to start ahead of him. Spurs persisted with Harry Kane, and if Rashford keeps his scoring up its maybe for the best.

Regardless of that I still think we will sign Zlatan. Hopefully this would mean the end of Rooney.

Rashford
Martial - Zlatan - ????​

Someone fast to stretch teams on the right and we'd be sorted.

Devil may care

We need creativity in the attacking positions. With Martial and Rashford showing promise as strikers, I think we need to concentrate on the 3 behind them in a 4-2-3-1.

I reckon we should try and buy back Nani, plus bringing in a superstar like Koke as well as a cheap option like Ayew.

A 3 of

Nani -- Ayew -- Koke

would work. If we switch to a front 3, the wingers could be

Ayew -- Koke

An alternative 3 might be

Ayew -- Koke -- Nani
Koke from Atletico?