What do you see happening with Gareth Bale?

Josep Dowling

You would have a point if he was skipping training and/or failing drug tests and/or bringing the club's name into disrepute. If Madrid signed him to a shorter contract then they would be free of him now. You can't eat your cake and have it.
I agree with you. Real should never have given him such a ridiculous contract. Which goes back to my first point about elite clubs learning from this. Look at us with Sanchez, it’s the same issue that we are going to have. And I can guarantee the team Bale lot won’t be on his side, so it’s pure hypocrisy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mad really, how did they end up in this situation? Does Zidane just not like him or what?
Think it's the fact he's a huge name that doesn't produce like a star. Zidane wants to treat him like just another squad player, which is what his performances over the last 4 seasons warrant, including the injuries, but doing that brings all kinds of external pressure and distractions. So he'd rather not have a player who at this point is a star in name only
It’s no different to the Rooney situation except Bale can still play at the highest level.
Can he? Last time he did consistently was 2016. That's 4 years ago

Gandalf

Madrid created this problem and it is theirs to solve. For some bizarre reason they think that Gareth should be out there knocking on doors and looking for a new club on a fraction of his current wages and they still want to collect a transfer fee too. Maybe he is not at his peak anymore but he could certainly do a job for Madrid but clearly Zidane wants him gone. If Madrid waived their right to a fee and were willing to make up the difference in wages I am sure he would move and at this point even if his new club is only willing to pay 100,000 Euro a week then it is still in MAdrids interest to make the deal because that's 100,000 a week saved for the next 2 years.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I genuinely believe he will continue doing what hes doing. Sit on the bench until they need him and obviously bust a gut when he plays for Wales.

When his contract ends he will be 33 but he will probably be in good condition considering the lesser amount of games. I could see him signing for a big club for smaller wages.

I respect that he is holding Real to his contract. He was willing to move on last year and they didn't allow it.
Pretty much this. Don't know why he's being written off in here or mentioned as going off to MLS or China straight after the conclusion at Madrid. Unless they're still going to pay him an obscene wage in either of the aforementioned, he has no reason to go unless he wants to live in those parts of the world, and if he still wants to play competitive football, he'll have plenty of takers, even at 33, so long as his contract demands factor in the amount of games he [hasn't] played over the past - what will be - half decade.

Madrid treat those they wish to discard like trash, so it's great they get a taste of their own medicine, and they either pay him off or they swallow this particular pill until the contract ends.

Bale has actually played a blinder, and it's Madrid's fault for not letting him go when he was all set to. Serves them right.

sp_107

Bale won atleast 2 champion league finals on his own. They should respect that an treat him nice.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No doubt he'll enjoy watching the CL game against City tomorrow night, at home in Madrid since he's not even in the squad :lol:. Oh well, at least can open his bank account as another 500k ish chinks in.

Difficult to imagine how Real can get rid of him, even if they give him a free transfer, still need to pay towards his wages or give him a lump sum to make up for the shortfall. Realistically any buying club won't be offering more than 100K a week in current circumstances. Similar to the deal Sanchez has just got.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Zidane's fault. He should treat a 4-times UCL winner with more respect.

Luke1995

Inter Milan, of course. They always take players that are unwanted by their current clubs (Sanchez, Young, Lukaku, Sneijder when Madrid didn't want him, Eto'o when Barça wanted Ibra...)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No doubt he'll enjoy watching the CL game against City tomorrow night, at home in Madrid since he's not even in the squad :lol:. Oh well, at least can open his bank account as another 500k ish chinks in.

Difficult to imagine how Real can get rid of him, even if they give him a free transfer, still need to pay towards his wages or give him a lump sum to make up for the shortfall. Realistically any buying club won't be offering more than 100K a week in current circumstances. Similar to the deal Sanchez has just got.
Zidane on Bale:

“We have a relationship of respect between player and coach, it's a personal conversation. He preferred not to play and the rest is between he and I. He hasn't disappointed me. I've already explained what happened and I have respect for him, as I do all the players. Things that happen between a player and a coach stay in the dressing room".

Crazy if true.

Alemar

Apparently he's told Zidane he didn't want to play tomorrow in the CL.
Interesting. And if a club tells him they don’t want to pay his salary? Such things shall be contractually regulated somehow

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I was with Bale before this one as he would still make himself available for selection so pissing about on the bench didn’t bother me.

Refusing to play is a different matter altogether. Same stance as Arthur, both very unprofessional.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I reckon it is more likely he's said he's not bothering to fly after being told he won't be playing.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I reckon it is more likely he's said he's not bothering to fly after being told he won't be playing.
Most probably, sounds like Madrid PR moves, his agent probably set things straight soon ?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This will be his legacy. He could have returned to the PL and made a massive splash and his time in Madrid would have been exalted by the history books. As it stands, the waters have been dirtied and his standing in the game has plummeted.

He is choosing the money that’s owed to him, and that’s fine, but I think it comes at a price.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think after Zidane leaking this is very tactical and is certainly in response to his agents claims from the other week.

This is such a disaster for all parties I don't see why they don't just compromise and go their separate ways.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This will be his legacy. He could have returned to the PL and made a massive splash and his time in Madrid would have been exalted by the history books. As it stands, the waters have been dirtied and his standing in the game has plummeted.

He is choosing the money that’s owed to him, and that’s fine, but I think it comes at a price.
In 10 years he'll still be known as a guy who ripped the Premier league up, went to Madrid and won 3, or is it 4 Euro cups?

He won't have any regrets having banked tens of millions and living in splendour there.

TsuWave

Such a weird career. Was doing well in the Prem, went to Madrid, never really seemed like they warmed up to him, won a lot and contributed to important trophies, but it never quite felt like "he did it", now it ends like this.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
In 10 years he'll still be known as a guy who ripped the Premier league up, went to Madrid and won 3, or is it 4 Euro cups?

He won't have any regrets having banked tens of millions and living in splendour there.
I don’t think he will be. I think he will be known as the bright, exciting prospect, who went to Madrid, and despite scoring some important goals and winning trophies, was maligned by supporters, disliked by management, and faded far too early to be compared to the best players of his generation.

History is written by the victors and he will be a side note in those CL victories (yes, even with THAT goal) and a divisive figure amongst the fans who he played for.

Money will be some comfort, but I think he might regret it all down the road. You can see the likes of Michael Owen pandering to the Pool supporters all these years later, but for all he did for them, there is no fondness there and you can see it bothers him.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Interesting. And if a club tells him they don’t want to pay his salary? Such things shall be contractually regulated somehow
It is, that's his contract with the club.. The club just seemingly isn't bothered, the manager doesn't want him in the team and if what Zidane said is true then Bale finally gave up and doesn't want to play either.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I was with Bale before this one as he would still make himself available for selection so pissing about on the bench didn’t bother me.

Refusing to play is a different matter altogether. Same stance as Arthur, both very unprofessional.
I doubt we're getting the whole story here.

The line from Zidane is 'he preferred not to play'. Which could describe an awful lot of things, including...

'Gareth, you ugly fecking cnut, I hate you and hope you die. Get on your knees and beg me if you want to play'

'No'.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
James did the same at the end of la liga and stopped going to games, I'd say it's the same case

What’s amusing in he was off to China, it was signed and sealed. Then Real wanted a fee. Bet this wish they could take that deal now! Bale and Real are greedy bar stewards and deserve each other.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What’s amusing in he was off to China, it was signed and sealed. Then Real wanted a fee. Bet this wish they could take that deal now! Bale and Real are greedy bar stewards and deserve each other.
Sounds a bit like De Gea's extended contract over at ours to be fair.

90 + 5min

Bale seems to have lost love for football with all that money in Real Madrid. Shame. But human nature. He could have been one of greatest Wales players. Now? Well, I don't think we never have to discuss about Giggs vs Bale.

Mindhunter

I don't trust Zidane on this. There is no way Bale would openly refuse to play and jeopardize his contract with Real Madrid which is the cause of all this nonsense in the first place.

The more likely scenario is that Bale refused to get on the team bus unless Zidane promises him minutes on the pitch. Zidane is just making up shite now to paint a picture of Bale's unprofessionalism etc. so that they media get off his back.

I am fully with Bale on this one. He is one of their star players and parading him around like a mascot isn't in good faith. Let him stay at home if he isn't going to play.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don't trust Zidane on this. There is no way Bale would openly refuse to play and jeopardize his contract with Real Madrid which is the cause of all this nonsense in the first place.

The more likely scenario is that Bale refused to get on the team bus unless Zidane promises him minutes on the pitch. Zidane is just making up shite now to paint a picture of Bale's unprofessionalism etc. so that they media get off his back.

I am fully with Bale on this one. He is one of their star players and parading him around like a mascot isn't in good faith. Let him stay at home if he isn't going to play.
Yep I am sure this is pretty much it. Zidane has been a twat before in press briefings.

90 + 5min

He is one of Wales greatest ever players without doubt.
A very good player indeed. No question about that but he never reached to his full potential. At least that is what I think. Real Madrid could have been his perfect big club ending. I know he scored some goals and won Champions League / Spanish League but so have plenty of others who even did more for Real Madrid to achive that.

I was maybe using wrong words. He is one of better players in Wales history but not the greatest. I wonder if he even is better than Ian Rush or Mark Hughes (looking at their level when they played). Let alone Giggs.