What do you see happening with Gareth Bale?

Irrational.

Very clever by Zidane. Doesn't fancy Bale, treats him like shit and a spare part - then tries turning the fans against him.

We need an rvn

I don't know about that, most people that i know and are not British tend to have a poor opinion on him. When a club has a contract with a player but the player wants to go, they usually find a solution. Bale choosing to stay there and rot to collect his checks is his right, but it makes him look very bad. Good thing Sanchez was not like this.
Can't tell if this part is a joke or not.

We had to pay Sanchez to leave and accept no fee for him in order for him to accept a contract for less money at Inter. No one is willing to offer Bale the salary than what he's on at Real, and Real won't give Bale away for free nor pay him off to leave.

I don't see much difference between the two if i'm perfectly honest as I'm sure if Bale got paid off to leave he'd go

cyberman

Can't tell if this part is a joke or not.

We had to pay Sanchez to leave and accept no fee for him in order for him to accept a contract for less money at Inter. No one is willing to offer Bale the salary than what he's on at Real, and Real won't give Bale away for free nor pay him off to leave.

I don't see much difference between the two if i'm perfectly honest as I'm sure if Bale got paid off to leave he'd go
They offered Bale on loan, Bale wouldnt go. Sanchez did and saved his career.
Bale was going to China in his 20s ffs. His career is already over

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I actually don't think either Zidane or Madrid think bale is a bad player. I think they believe he's still one of their better players when his head is right and he's on form. I think this whole situation is down to money. Gareth Bale is supposedly earning 550k a week basic. I think they want to free up that cash and are trying to force him out of the club. He knows he's better than at least 3 or 4 of their current attacking players and he was offered that contract so is making them stick to it. Had he not won so many trophies he would have left by now I reckon to pursue titles but there's not much left for him to do now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very clever by Zidane. Doesn't fancy Bale, treats him like shit and a spare part - then tries turning the fans against him.
It’s a common tactic, also used in many offices based businesses like law firms etc.

Looks like they have on the wrong person though. Some Madrid fans will sympathise with Bale’s plight plus it seems like Bale genuinely doesn’t care what his bosses or negative media thinks of him.

romufc

I actually don't think either Zidane or Madrid think bale is a bad player. I think they believe he's still one of their better players when his head is right and he's on form. I think this whole situation is down to money. Gareth Bale is supposedly earning 550k a week basic. I think they want to free up that cash and are trying to force him out of the club. He knows he's better than at least 3 or 4 of their current attacking players and he was offered that contract so is making them stick to it. Had he not won so many trophies he would have left by now I reckon to pursue titles but there's not much left for him to do now.
He has such a crap attitude towards Real Madrid. He is constantly making golf shots in training, he has not helped himself in this situation.

It was the same with Sanchez, he was a better player than Perreira / Lingard etc. When a player has a poor attitude, the manager wants to protect his squad.

kopviolator

I think the Bale situation shows Real in a dim light rather than anything. They wanted their shiny new toy at the time and were willing to pay anything to get it. Why was it necessary to fork out 600k/w to him? Anyway, with Chinese market probably gone, I can't see where he'd go. No-one will pay him half off what he's earning. His career is i ruins.

Definitely a world class on his day, but always second fiddle at Real and almost always crocked. Remembered mostly for his CL final goal and his sky hight salary I guess.

UncleBob

Knobhead?

I don't get that. He's had a very up and down time at RM;winning multiple UCL trophies, and scoring one the greatest goals seen in a final, while falling in and out of favour with Zidane. They gave him a very lucrative contract and as is his right, he'll move when it's right. So I don't get the 'knobhead,' label. RM have a history of being cnuts throughout their history.
Bale is well aware of how this works, just as he was well aware of how the game worked when he did his bit to sort out the transfer from Tottenham to Real Madrid.

He's well aware that he's not wanted at Real Madrid and he's well aware of the consequences by staying. Obviously he's well within his rights to stay, they gave him and insane contract and there's little reason for him to abandon that and go somewhere he doesn't want to be, but at the same time you're well aware of what you're doing.

So if you decide to stay, fully knowing you're not wanted, then be professional about it. Being a dickhead in the stands, the wales-golf-madrid flag, just makes things worse. State that you want to stay, fight for a position and always be available for the team when you're needed and then avoid making daft headlines.

The latter should hardly be a problem, he's 31 and he's won all the biggest trophies,insanely well paid, it's hardly a shock that he doesn't have the same drive any longer.

People find it amusing that he's acting up because it's Real Madrid, if this was Sanchez and he kept posting videos in social media of him playing a piano people would go completely mental over it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's won 4 CL 2 La Liga and more, scored worldies in CL final.

650k a week, living in lovely Madrid, loads of good golf courses.

Perfect situation for Bale.

Agent is a genius surely ?
I think you're wrong if you think Bale is happy with his situation.

DarkLord

I don't recall Bale being such an asshole at Spurs and Wales, he is a great team player. Real Madrid really does bring out the worst in a human. Ozil, Di Maria comes to mind. Funny how Ozil is also in a similar situation as him.

flappyjay

World class facility, nutritionist, trainer while getting paid to be fit. Insane. His day only last 3-4 hours max and he can feck off playing golf with his buddies. Definition of making it in life
This what I am thinking too. If he still loves football he can still play again at lower level in a couple of years. He would still be good enough for mls

Jaxa

I am conflicted with thoughts on the Bale situation, he was heavily scrutinised and unfairly treated by Madrid and fans long before he started to accept it and take the pi** , and he did try to leave last year which was blocked and he was made to stay and be put on the bench 80% of the time, he's only human and we'd all feel the same if our place of work treated us like that,

However when you are in the unique career industry he is in, and all you need to do is show up with a smile (even a fake one) to earn your 300k a week salary, i can't feel sorry for him and he needs to show a bit more professionalism, he needs to put his foot down this window, hand in a transfer request and make sure he gets a move away, i think Flo Perez realises he made a mistake not letting bale leave last transfer window.

Irrational.

It’s a common tactic, also used in many offices based businesses like law firms etc.

Looks like they have on the wrong person though. Some Madrid fans will sympathise with Bale’s plight plus it seems like Bale genuinely doesn’t care what his bosses or negative media thinks of him.
Agreed.

Knowing the Madrid fans and how fickle they are, I expect the majority to lap up Zidane's bullshit. He's never liked Bale from day one. Bale's biggest mistake was not leaving or forcing through a move after the infamous CL final goal. Would've been a last 'feck you' to Madrid. Instead he's wasted the last few years of his career playing golf and sitting on the bench. An absolute superstar player, but could've been so much more.

flappyjay

I don't know about that, most people that i know and are not British tend to have a poor opinion on him. When a club has a contract with a player but the player wants to go, they usually find a solution. Bale choosing to stay there and rot to collect his checks is his right, but it makes him look very bad. Good thing Sanchez was not like this.
Eh Sanchez is making all the money he would have in the next 2 years. Madrid have to find a club that will atleast take up half of what they owe Bale 32m and then maybe they pay the rest in one go or over the next 2 years. The most likely scenario is Bale will get his entire 64m from Madrid

OverratedOpinion

Madrid and their fans seem to have treated him like crap, now they're stuck with him.

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

jackal&hyde

Eh Sanchez is making all the money he would have in the next 2 years. Madrid have to find a club that will atleast take up half of what they owe Bale 32m and then maybe they pay the rest in one go or over the next 2 years. The most likely scenario is Bale will get his entire 64m from Madrid
I would be amazed if Real and Bale did not have offers for loans, even if not 50-50 but it would still benefit all parties; all parties considering that Bale is still interested in football. Regardless, it's Reals fault for offering him that contract. I don't feel sorry for either party here.

Amerifan

If not for the public feud with Zidane I’d have forgotten about him. Another wasted talent.

90 + 5min

His level was fantastic from late 2010 up to 2013 for Spurs. In his early years at Real Madrid he was getting 15-20 goals in the league and also that great goal in the Copa Del Rey final v Barca so look beyond the CL final goals and performances and there's plenty there. Dragged Wales to Euro 2016 and played well in that tournament although I thought Ramsey was their main man there.

So pretty good up to 2017 when injuries started to bite and now seemingly he's not bothered whether he even plays much for last 5 years of his career which is a big shame.
I'm not denying that he is a good player. Very good. But he could have reached even higher level if he had a better time in Madrid. He had 1-2 very good seasons there but other than that he was in the same class as James, Asensio, De Maria, Morata. Never reached levels of players like Benzema and ofcourse Ronaldo.

Its a tough one. He captained Wales to their best tournament showing didnt he?
He did but on other hand Ramsey were their best player. According to me.

Let's consider that for a moment. If we told Sanchez at the start of the he would never be player, he wouldn't have a future here and hence he should feck off to another club as he isn't wanted, would you still blame him for such behavior?

Real Madrid have told him to leave as they don't fancy paying the money they have promised him through the contract. It's really in bad faith to parade him around as an extra, take him to games and not name him in the playing squad, putting him on the bench and not giving him any minutes. He is their highest paid player for god's sake and embarrassing him like this isn't going to erase the mistake of giving him the hefty contract. They should just shut up, swallow their pride, and just pay him what they owe him.

If I was Bale, I would bleed RM dry for being so unprofessional in the first place which I am glad he is doing. They have no business asking him to travel with the squad if he won't be played.
You are wrong here. As a professional, if you are picked, you go. We don't know exactly everything that happens behind doors but refusing to play or travel is for me unprofessional. There are lot of players traveing with squad but not playing. And with the money he is given for doing pretty much nothing now, you expect him to at least travel. I would like to know how he would have been treated by his team if this happened back in 80's or 90's.

Strelok

Well that's relative, if contracts are so sacred then it doesn't matter what the player prefers or if he wants to play for Zidane or not.
Imagine every player in the bench like Mariano or Brahim saying that they don't want to travel but as I say, it has to be something specific and personal.
Bale has traveled without playing on more than one occasion
No you don't get what I mean.

It's like your boss ask if you want to do some sht, you don't like doing it and you're honest so you say no. But if your boss insists then you still do it, despite not wanting to do it. Saying you don't want to do something is very different with refusing to do it. You see the difference yet?

In short, it's a breach of contract if he refused to play. But not if he said he doesn't want to play. The point here is whether Zidane did ask him to play or not. Imo not because if yes, he would said "He refused to play" instead of "He preferred not to play".

I think he should just tell them that he's happy to have his contract terminated by mutual consent whenever they are ready. It's not in RM's interest to keep paying him an extortionate wage to never play... and he'd probably be happier in Miami or somewhere. He doesn't need the money.
He agreed to go to China in 2019 but Perez said no. Imo he must be thinking he could sell Bale for some money like he did with CR7. But well it's Covid so none is interested now.

Imo RM is trying to force him out or at least to agree to reduce his wages. There are so many articles badmouthing Bale recently without giving the accurate nature of the whole saga.

dalriada

This doesn't cast Bale in a good light, but it's a result of the way Real Madrid is run, carrying a large squad and intentionally creating conflict between players as a method of getting them to compete for places. What seems to be going on now looks like what would be called constructive dismissal in a normal employment environment, with the club goading Bale to breach his contract and Bale provoking the club to get into a financial dispute. We wouldn't tolerate his behaviour at Utd, but then we wouldn't get into that situation in the first place - look at how differently Sánchez's situation has been handled.

Bale is 31 and it's pretty clear what his priority is now - he wanted last year to go to China, and probably still does, so he's just following the money in the knowledge that he won't command the wages he will earn there anywhere else. A very good player who's wasted a good chunk of his playing years at a club that, for all its great football and players, is run in a really obnoxious way. I don't doubt that he went to Real Madrid because, for many players, it's the club they aspire to. I can't help thinking he's prioritised money over playing time though. If Zidane stays, and the money's still around in China, my guess is they'll find a way of parting company before long.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Bale is well aware of how this works, just as he was well aware of how the game worked when he did his bit to sort out the transfer from Tottenham to Real Madrid.

He's well aware that he's not wanted at Real Madrid and he's well aware of the consequences by staying. Obviously he's well within his rights to stay, they gave him and insane contract and there's little reason for him to abandon that and go somewhere he doesn't want to be, but at the same time you're well aware of what you're doing.

So if you decide to stay, fully knowing you're not wanted, then be professional about it. Being a dickhead in the stands, the wales-golf-madrid flag, just makes things worse. State that you want to stay, fight for a position and always be available for the team when you're needed and then avoid making daft headlines.

The latter should hardly be a problem, he's 31 and he's won all the biggest trophies,insanely well paid, it's hardly a shock that he doesn't have the same drive any longer.

People find it amusing that he's acting up because it's Real Madrid, if this was Sanchez and he kept posting videos in social media of him playing a piano people would go completely mental over it.
How does anyone know he’s ‘acting up.’

“we want you to move.”
“Ok, I’ll move if it’s right as I have a contract which you gave me.”
“”Stop acting up !”

UncleBob

How does anyone know he’s ‘acting up.’

“we want you to move.”
“Ok, I’ll move if it’s right as I have a contract which you gave me.”
“”Stop acting up !”
He's making headlines for his behavior in the stands and the wales flag, he's acting up.

cyberman

He's considered the best Welsh footballer to ever play the game by most in Wales
He'll be remembered for a long old time in Wales at least
He would be a legend there if he retired 6 years ago, doesn't mean much really.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For the all abuse Bale seems to get off everyone, Real weren't forced to give him this contract.

Surely noone feels sorry for them, with their history of tapping up players and bullying others. It's good to see someone stick it to them for once.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No sympathy at all for Madrid.

Bale isn’t a bad player at all and yet they just want him out so are doing their best to make him look a dickhead.

He’s got a contract that Madrid happily gave him and he’s hardly been rubbish for them.

I don’t see the point in Bale moving he won’t be able to get a move to a big club so he could move to MLS/ China for wages but beyond that he’ll be relying on a free contract for any kind of decent wages.

Pep's Suit

Don't care what people think about Madrid or Perez... Bale is a disgrace. These guys have money, fame, very little responsibility but so often so many of them immediately start acting like spoiled kids.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't know much about this topic before, but I now recall that Wales, Golf, Madrid flag, and I think that set of priorities is what the problem is about.

A player of his quality should have never been as poor as he's been for the last two seasons. I remember him just after the final in Kiev speaking to the media, kind of telling them the problem is he was not chosen to start in the big games and that he would leave if the situation continued to be the same. After that, Ronaldo goes to Juventus and what happens? He shows zero ambition to lead the team forward, unlike Benzema for instance.

I don't buy the "the teacher hates me and I do no wrong" kind of excuse in this case. Zidane has great relation with the great majority of the squad.

SteveW

Remember when we were linked to this guy every window? Things have really changed for the better.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's strange really as if Real want rid of him at a good price they surely shouldn't be making him out to be a nuisance?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't care what people think about Madrid or Perez... Bale is a disgrace. These guys have money, fame, very little responsibility but so often so many of them immediately start acting like spoiled kids.
It really is a disgrace to honor a contract.

Neon_Neon

Total bollocks by Zidane & disgusting behaviour by Real & their pet poodle media outlets (as usual)

For those saying it's like the Sanchez situation?! - no it's not. Sanchez didn't do anything at Utd - no titles / cup wins to his name (unlike Bale). Respect goes both ways & Real will learn (or not..) the expensive way

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why is he disgraceful? Madrid gave him that contract, he didn't force them to. He's doing nothing illegal. If he's a disgrace, then every club that insists on a player fulfilling his contract is, too.

Don't understand why Madrid should've the moral highground on this one. I've little sympathy for Bale because I never liked him as a player but he's got every right to behave how he does. If he violated his contract, Real would've fire him at the first opportunity.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Entirely of Madrid’s own doing. Can guarantee if it were the other way around and wanted to keep him they’d do everything to make him honour the contract.

If Bale is happy having won everything he can over there and is enjoying a spot of golf in his spare time good luck to him.

EwanI Ted

Its hard to imagine that, 20 years down the line when he's looking back on his career, that the extra couple of hundred grand a week he's earning at Real will justify the time he's lost on the pitch. I mean, I don't earn half a million a week so maybe I dont have the perspective, but he's already enough to never have to work again. Footballers careers are incredibly short, seems a shame to lose a chunk of that career if you dont have to. I dont blame him for the situation he's in by the way, which is of Real's making, but I can't help think it would be better to find somewhere he can play again even if he has to take a pay cut.

FattyFooty

Almost identical to the Ozil situation. They'll both just carry on collecting their wages until their contracts expire, at which point they'll either retire from football or try get one last payday.

And it's entirely their right to do so, why should they leave?
Some footballers like to play football.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Why is he disgraceful? Madrid gave him that contract, he didn't force them to. He's doing nothing illegal. If he's a disgrace, then every club that insists on a player fulfilling his contract is, too.

Don't understand why Madrid should've the moral highground on this one. I've little sympathy for Bale because I never liked him as a player but he's got every right to behave how he does. If he violated his contract, Real would've fire him at the first opportunity.
It is not a disgrace, but every summer there are hundreds of examples like this. A project, a new coach, or one who no longer trusts a certain player.

Either he stays or his agent finds him a new team. I am not 100% sure about China because it was also said that his family did not want to go.
This situation is reached because Barnett was asked to bring in offers, and they didn't bother to try anything all summer.
It is not a case of a new coach who comes to your house and wants to kick you out. They have known each other from the beginning, when he was indisputable to now, when he no longer sees him as part of the group.
Another example is Mariano, who at 27 has already made it clear that he will not leave if he is not paid more.
He does not care if he has to stay four years in the bench.
He signed and the club has to honor the contract but...