What do you see happening with Gareth Bale?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It is not a disgrace, but every summer there are hundreds of examples like this. A project, a new coach, or one who no longer trusts a certain player.

Either he stays or his agent finds him a new team. I am not 100% sure about China because it was also said that his family did not want to go.
This situation is reached because Barnett was asked to bring in offers, and they didn't bother to try anything all summer.
It is not a case of a new coach who comes to your house and wants to kick you out. They have known each other from the beginning, when he was indisputable to now, when he no longer sees him as part of the group.
Another example is Mariano, who at 27 has already made it clear that he will not leave if he is not paid more.
He does not care if he has to stay four years in the bench.
He signed and the club has to honor the contract but...
As long as they fulfill their contractual duties, I don't see why this should be questionable behaviour from a moral perspective. If a player wants to leave but you want to keep him unless someone pays the amount you're asking for, you'll make him stay. Honestly, if you give players long contracts with salaries no other club is willing to pay, this is bad management on your part and you can't blame the players for that. If a professional club for whatever reason offered me a 1m a year contract and I sign it only for them to realize that I'm not good enough and nobody will pay me the same amount, they can't expect me to accept a wage cut just to compensate for a bad decision by the club.

I think clubs take it for granted that players are assets that they can move from one team to another as they please. But players aren't regular assets. Maybe stories like Bale, Sanchez, Mariano etc. make top clubs think twice in the future if they want to offer such ridiculously high salaries just because they can.

Eire Red United

His reputation is in tatters. As a footballer he will be forgotten not long after he retired.
Its not as if he would earn 0 if he moved elsewhere. I hope its worth it.
He’s won 4 Champions leagues, scored some of the best and most iconic goals ever seen in the competition, 2? la liga’s plus led Wales to their best ever tournament.

He’ll be talked about for years to come, not like he’s too worried either way though.

UncleBob

As long as they fulfill their contractual duties, I don't see why this should be questionable behaviour from a moral perspective. If a player wants to leave but you want to keep him unless someone pays the amount you're asking for, you'll make him stay. Honestly, if you give players long contracts with salaries no other club is willing to pay, this is bad management on your part and you can't blame the players for that. If a professional club for whatever reason offered me a 1m a year contract and I sign it only for them to realize that I'm not good enough and nobody will pay me the same amount, they can't expect me to accept a wage cut just to compensate for a bad decision by the club.

I think clubs take it for granted that players are assets that they can move from one team to another as they please. But players aren't regular assets. Maybe stories like Bale, Sanchez, Mariano etc. make top clubs think twice in the future if they want to offer such ridiculously high salaries just because they can.
Him acting like a knob in the stands and his wales - golf - madrid flag, please.
He can easily see out his contract at the club without behavior like that

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

You are right when you say that certain contracts are clearly examples of mismanagement, often for being last minute signings.
But as @UncleBob says there are certain attitudes that are not good.
You have 30 (!) Injuries in your time at the club, and keep insisting on practicing another sporting activity, and you make fun of the club with a flag.
He leaves the stadium before the game is over, his agent calls the coach a "disgrace", and does little nonsenses in the bench that does not do his team any good.
He seems like a very educated and intelligent boy but those stories are at least very picturesque.
Although the contract does not stipulate it, it supposes some requirements.
The best earn more.
In those circumstances either he assumes his departure or stops looking for a witch hunt against him, or whatever it is that causes his actions.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Him acting like a knob in the stands and his wales - golf - madrid flag, please.
Not classy, that's for sure, but hardly amoral. As I said, if he had done anything that violated his contractual duties, Madrid would've given him the hardest legally possible penalty, preferably a contract termination.

You can make of that what you want but Madrid also has a nasty reputation if they want someone out (remember the Özil/Ramos story when the former was forced out?). Think it's hard to judge on such public conflicts if you don't know the whole story. It may very well be the case that Madrid tried to force Bale into accepting wage cuts at interested clubs and Bale just didn't give in and decided to let it escalate after having won everything there is to win at club level.

djembatheking

I totally agree mate. He comes across as a proper tosser, absolutely no need to act like he does , he should just keep his head down and behave in a professional manner. Thank feck United never signed him .

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You are right when you say that certain contracts are clearly examples of mismanagement, often for being last minute signings.
But as @UncleBob says there are certain attitudes that are not good.
You have 30 (!) Injuries in your time at the club, and keep insisting on practicing another sporting activity, and you make fun of the club with a flag.
He leaves the stadium before the game is over, his agent calls the coach a "disgrace", and does little nonsenses in the bench that does not do his team any good.
He seems like a very educated and intelligent boy but those stories are at least very picturesque.
Although the contract does not stipulate it, it supposes some requirements.
The best earn more.
In those circumstances either he assumes his departure or stops looking for a witch hunt against him, or whatever it is that causes his actions.
Well, as mentioned above, you guys have a reputation of being quite savage when you want a player gone. I don't think it's unlikely that you wanted to get Bale from your paycheck and found clubs willing to take him but the negotiations between club and player failed due to Bale not accepting wage cuts. Given your reputation, I can imagine that you tried making his life harder at Madrid and hinted quite clearly that he's no longer welcome here. With many players this did work and they just wanted to leave but maybe Bale, having won everything there is to win with you guys, said "feck it, if they try it that way, I simply see out my contract". Maybe he just didn't back out but let it escalate, realizing that he's got the better bargaining position as long as he's cool with wasting a couple of years of his late career. In this case, Madrid simply overplayed their hand and now pay for it big time.

Sparky Rhiwabon

People saying that Bale’s reputation has been ruined - what was George Best doing at age 31? I don’t see people saying he was a waste of space.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Quite obvious really. Nothing will happen. Bale will sulk on the bench while earning what most people never will every week, while Zidane will just not play him because he has better, younger and more determined players. Real can afford it too; they’re an institution.
More determined and younger? Yes. Better? Not even close. And that's part of the problem. They never appreciated him...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well, as mentioned above, you guys have a reputation of being quite savage when you want a player gone. I don't think it's unlikely that you wanted to get Bale from your paycheck and found clubs willing to take him but the negotiations between club and player failed due to Bale not accepting wage cuts. Given your reputation, I can imagine that you tried making his life harder at Madrid and hinted quite clearly that he's no longer welcome here. With many players this did work and they just wanted to leave but maybe Bale, having won everything there is to win with you guys, said "feck it, if they try it that way, I simply see out my contract". Maybe he just didn't back out but let it escalate, realizing that he's got the better bargaining position as long as he's cool with wasting a couple of years of his late career. In this case, Madrid simply overplayed their hand and now pay for it big time.
Am sure he has sat down with several lawyers and advisors to specify exactly what would stipulate as breach of contract and give Madrid legal cause to sack him.

Bale is mentally ready to manage the situation on his terms. It serves Madrid right for messing him around last summer.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't blame him in the slightest for acting the way that he is towards Real Madrid. I just wonder if by saying he doesn't want to play, is that a breech of contract and giving RM an out?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You're right that fans sometimes are merciless, but in the end it's a matter of expectations.
As tough as the fans can be, I don't think there has been so much unanimity about the departure of a player in a long time. And being part of a generation with many "legends", and being aware of his goals in finals.
If there was someone who defended him, Zidane swallowed him a long time ago.
If he's quiet like James, he can do whatever he wants, but it's going to be uncomfortable.
The thing about relaxing since he won trophies is unreasonable nowadays, with players stretching their careers so long. It is a waste.

UncleBob

Not classy, that's for sure, but hardly amoral. As I said, if he had done anything that violated his contractual duties, Madrid would've given him the hardest legally possible penalty, preferably a contract termination.

You can make of that what you want but Madrid also has a nasty reputation if they want someone out (remember the Özil/Ramos story when the former was forced out?). Think it's hard to judge on such public conflicts if you don't know the whole story. It may very well be the case that Madrid tried to force Bale into accepting wage cuts at interested clubs and Bale just didn't give in and decided to let it escalate after having won everything there is to win at club level.
He's hardly thick enough to violate his contract.

Not entirely sure why people see this as black and white.

Real Madrid aren't saints, but no one is claiming that either, they're well known for their methods of securing high profile players and getting rid of players they no longer want. Real Madrid being a shithead club doesn't make Bale a saint, but people just interpret his actions differently than they would if he was playing for someone else. Bale knows exactly what position he's in and he knows exactly what he's doing while the media is looking for headlines, acting like a knob in the stands sends a pretty clear message, just as it does when he poses next to a wales-golf-madrid in that order flag.

Again, he's well within his right to stay at the club and see out the massive contract he accepted, i'd sure as hell do the same, but at the same time just act professional, just state that you'll always be ready to assist the team when needed and that the team doing well is the most important thing, act like you're actually interested when you're in the stands and don't pull daft stunts that will only annoy the club you play for and your fans. Essentially, just keep taking their money and don't be such a bitch about it.

Stretender

If Madrid don't want Bale, they should rip up his contract like what Manchester United have done with Sanchez, and pay him off. No point in Madrid trying to bully a footballer. They are a big football club and must act professionally and legally. I don't think United wanted to pay up 9 million to Sanchez yesterday but it was the right and legally sensible thing to do. Gareth should have joined us, he rejected us so I won't feel sorry for him.He now knows what kind of club Madrid are. This guy would have been worshipped at United.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
The weird thing is that it seemed like one of the reasons Real were so interested in Bale in the first place is that his transformation from skinny teen left back who was always on the losing side at Spurs to goalscoring beast winger destroying Maicon seemed to show a Ronaldo-like level of ambition to go with his skill. It's just that personal drive seemed to begin slowly but surely disappearing pretty much as soon as he arrived at Madrid, for all his accomplishments.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The anti Madrid salt here seems baffling to me. I'd understand it if was Liverpool or City,.
What? feck Madrid. Horrible club with arrogant fans who boo players who have won CLs for them after one bad game. Hideous club.

the big question of Bale is does his love of football surpass his love of money? Because if he wants to play regularly again in a decent league he’s going to have to take at the very least a 50% pay cut. I could see Spurs offering him about £250k. Still hardly poverty is it.

had the takeover gone through Newcastle would have been a good option for him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You're right that fans sometimes are merciless, but in the end it's a matter of expectations.
As tough as the fans can be, I don't think there has been so much unanimity about the departure of a player in a long time. And being part of a generation with many "legends", and being aware of his goals in finals.
If there was someone who defended him, Zidane swallowed him a long time ago.
If he's quiet like James, he can do whatever he wants, but it's going to be uncomfortable.
The thing about relaxing since he won trophies is unreasonable nowadays, with players stretching their careers so long. It is a waste.
It's not about the fans. It's stuff like telling him he won't play but making him travel with the team anyway. Little gestures of disrespect, provocations, etc. At least that's how I imagine it. As I said, your club has a reputation of being quite ruthless when you want a player out.

And yes, it's unreasonable and I wouldn't behave like Bale does but this is not our decision but his. If he decides that he's had enough success aged 28 and won't let the club hold his career ransom then this is solely up to him. I've got the feeling this is a typical case of "what goes around comes around" and Bale didn't start this cycle. He simply didn't allow Madrid to bully him and turned the tables at the dispense of important years in his career. I wouldn't make this trade but obviously he decided to do so. I'm sure he feels that everything he did is totally just.

He's hardly thick enough to violate his contract.

Not entirely sure why people see this as black and white.

Real Madrid aren't saints, but no one is claiming that either, they're well known for their methods of securing high profile players and getting rid of players they no longer want. Real Madrid being a shithead club doesn't make Bale a saint, but people just interpret his actions differently than they would if he was playing for someone else. Bale knows exactly what position he's in and he knows exactly what he's doing while the media is looking for headlines, acting like a knob in the stands sends a pretty clear message, just as it does when he poses next to a wales-golf-madrid in that order flag.

Again, he's well within his right to stay at the club and see out the massive contract he accepted, i'd sure as hell do the same, but at the same time just act professional, just state that you'll always be ready to assist the team when needed and that the team doing well is the most important thing, act like you're actually interested when you're in the stands and don't pull daft stunts that will only annoy the club you play for and your fans. Essentially, just keep taking their money and don't be such a bitch about it.
If someone hits you, you can hit back. The one who hit first is the one to blame, not the one countering. To me it seems that Bale simply pays back what he had to swallow. Madrid makes him travel with the team although he won't play solely to make life uncomfortable for him. In return, he refuses to and I'm sure, as you said, he knows what he's doing and ensured that he can do that wihtout violating his contract. At the same time, he puts pressure on the club to solve this situation because fans think he's a prick and Madrid shouldn't allow such behaviour.

I don't think he would've behaved that way if Madrid behaved professional in this situation from the very beginning. He enjoys letting them taste their own medicine.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He has contract. Nobody forced either side to sign that contract. And i was on his side till now. He was doing his job, coming on trainings, games etc...
But now when he refused to play then club can and should fine him

And btw, i don't think that he cares about football much anymore. It happens. Desire is just not there anymore

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
If Madrid don't want Bale, they should rip up his contract like what Manchester United have done with Sanchez, and pay him off. No point in Madrid trying to bully a footballer. They are a big football club and must act professionally and legally. I don't think United wanted to pay up 9 million to Sanchez yesterday but it was the right and legally sensible thing to do. Gareth should have joined us, he rejected us so I won't feel sorry for him.He now knows what kind of club Madrid are. This guy would have been worshipped at United.
But if they choose not to get rid of Bale it's reasonable to expect some minimal commitment from him, right?

Or why do we choose to pick Zidane wanting to get rid of Bale as the origin of everything, like @Zehner suggested? Is it ridiculous to analyze a scenario where whiechever club wants to get rid of a player because he's been highly unprofessional?

Hulksmash

Sanchez earns the same wage at Inter, so he doesn't lose anything. If Real would cancel Bale contract, noone would pay him above 100K a week.

Castia

He’s won 4 Champions leagues, scored some of the best and most iconic goals ever seen in the competition, 2? la liga’s plus led Wales to their best ever tournament.

He’ll be talked about for years to come, not like he’s too worried either way though.
If he would have continued at his level though he would have gone out ‘at the top’. He’s definitely tainting his career imo. He’s probably not assed anyway.

Web of Bissaka

If Madrid don't want Bale, they should rip up his contract like what Manchester United have done with Sanchez, and pay him off. No point in Madrid trying to bully a footballer. They are a big football club and must act professionally and legally. I don't think United wanted to pay up 9 million to Sanchez yesterday but it was the right and legally sensible thing to do.
Not sure it's the same situation here.

Bale contributed a lot especially the CLs to Real.
Sanchez contributed shit nothing.

Bale "warrant" better treatment and for Real to pay him off to leave if they're really that desperate. Sanchez does not.

Both are just taking advantages of what they have, the contracts signed with the respective clubs. It is their rights I suppose to do so, that's the thing with contracts.

Would be class by Sanchez though if he just terminated his contract without payment ala Zlatan. Zlatan helped us won two trophies, and both club and him have been respectful to each other since then. Or at least, asked for small amount, it reeks that Sanchez joined us for the money as primary reason, which looks likely.

starman

Hes on a massive contract and wins trophies every year and has been a pro since he was 16, in that regards you could kind of see why hes just happy to sit out his contract than to go to club where he will play more but may not win anything. Its all down to personal satisfaction, maybe he's fallen out of love with football to the extent he not really cherishing every moment that he has the best job in world

clarkydaz

I don't trust Zidane on this. There is no way Bale would openly refuse to play and jeopardize his contract with Real Madrid which is the cause of all this nonsense in the first place.

The more likely scenario is that Bale refused to get on the team bus unless Zidane promises him minutes on the pitch. Zidane is just making up shite now to paint a picture of Bale's unprofessionalism etc. so that they media get off his back.

I am fully with Bale on this one. He is one of their star players and parading him around like a mascot isn't in good faith. Let him stay at home if he isn't going to play.
Not sure a player is entitled to this? Yes its silly, but he is paid 600k a week to be available to play at the coaches discretion.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But if they choose not to get rid of Bale it's reasonable to expect some minimal commitment from him, right?

Or why do we choose to pick Zidane wanting to get rid of Bale as the origin of everything, like @Zehner suggested? Is it ridiculous to analyze a scenario where whiechever club wants to get rid of a player because he's been highly unprofessional?
Just for the record: I have no idea why you guys decided to get rid of him. I'm just pointing out that you've got a reputation for being quite nasty to players you want gone and this time it seems the player didn't give in but decided to pay it back. As I said, I was never the biggest fan of Bale. But I do have a soft spot for Real Madrid. However, in this case, it's a little bit rich to criticize him for his behaviour when you brought that upon yourself. If I were to guess I'd say Madrid behaves that way towards players they want to get rid of as a "necessary evil" whereas Bale feels that it's just to treat you like you treated him and in this case, my sympathy is with the player. As the saying goes, what goes around comes around.

stu_1992

At this point, I would be surprised if Madrid isn't his last club and he just retires after this. Has his money made, doesn't seem to have any spark left for it. Sad in a way, but if he's happy then more power to him.

90 + 5min

I don't trust Zidane on this. There is no way Bale would openly refuse to play and jeopardize his contract with Real Madrid which is the cause of all this nonsense in the first place.

The more likely scenario is that Bale refused to get on the team bus unless Zidane promises him minutes on the pitch. Zidane is just making up shite now to paint a picture of Bale's unprofessionalism etc. so that they media get off his back.

I am fully with Bale on this one. He is one of their star players and parading him around like a mascot isn't in good faith. Let him stay at home if he isn't going to play.
This is just arrogance if it would be true. Not only unprofessional but also showing what kind of person he is. Who is he to dictate when, how and if he will play? He isn't that star player some seems to be that he can do what he wants. IF this was true he would behave like a 5 old kid saying to parents "give me icecream or I don't want to go to school".

I wonder what you would say if some ManUtd players told Solskjaer that? Or what would you say if Rooney, Beckham or Giggs told Ferguson the same.

AFC NimbleThumb

At this point, I would be surprised if Madrid isn't his last club and he just retires after this. Has his money made, doesn't seem to have any spark left for it. Sad in a way, but if he's happy then more power to him.
Never really thought about it but I could see the same happening now you mention it.

His body betrays him when he does play consistently & his love for Golf actually has taken precedent over rehabbing for football. He’s unlikely to go to another glamorous destination bar a ‘retirement’ League but why would he bother. . .

It’ll be one of the strangest careers to analyse if he does call it quits soon.

Bwuk

What a player he was.

I reckon if he left Madrid he could be a monster for someone.

UncleBob

If someone hits you, you can hit back. The one who hit first is the one to blame, not the one countering. To me it seems that Bale simply pays back what he had to swallow. Madrid makes him travel with the team although he won't play solely to make life uncomfortable for him. In return, he refuses to and I'm sure, as you said, he knows what he's doing and ensured that he can do that wihtout violating his contract. At the same time, he puts pressure on the club to solve this situation because fans think he's a prick and Madrid shouldn't allow such behaviour.

I don't think he would've behaved that way if Madrid behaved professional in this situation from the very beginning. He enjoys letting them taste their own medicine.
:lol: Jesus christ.

What Bale had to swallow. What exactly has he been forced to swallow, he signed a massive contract making him one of the best paid players in football, it should hardly be considered uncomfortable to travel with the squad and watch matches from the stands.

Again, him and his agent was made well aware of the situation. The decision to stay despite not being wanted at the club is fair enough, but it should hardly come as a surprise that the club is doing their bit to get him out, and him barely being involved in any matches and not being considered as a vital part of their squad is the least you can expect.

UncleBob

What a player he was.

I reckon if he left Madrid he could be a monster for someone.
Maybe if he had left them 3 seasons ago, but not now, doesn't look anything like a player with the hunger and determination needed in order to perform at the highest level.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Didn’t appreciate his attitude when Madrid clearly didn’t want him and we clearly did...spent his peak years being a bit part player for a club who doesn’t want him.

Feck him.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player

ReallyUSA

:lol: Jesus christ.

What Bale had to swallow. What exactly has he been forced to swallow, he signed a massive contract making him one of the best paid players in football, it should hardly be considered uncomfortable to travel with the squad and watch matches from the stands.

Again, him and his agent was made well aware of the situation. The decision to stay despite not being wanted at the club is fair enough, but it should hardly come as a surprise that the club is doing their bit to get him out, and him barely being involved in any matches and not being considered as a vital part of their squad is the least you can expect.
Madrid blocked his move to China.

Bocca9978

Sorry not been reading much of this thread.
Should he not just rip up his contract? Bit like Sanchez? (Payoff negotiable)

Needs to finish off his career better than he is.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
More determined and younger? Yes. Better? Not even close. And that's part of the problem. They never appreciated him...
How many times have you actually seen Bale play for us over the last 2 years