What happened to Daniel Sturridge?

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
I never saw it with him. He was brilliant for one season when defenders spent most of their time worrying about Suarez and left him space he would never normally get. Once Suarez was gone so was his purple patch. Outside of that one season 11 goals was the best return he ever had.
Those raw stats are because of his injuries though. He was deadly for a good two and half seasons at Liverpool, with really only one with Suarez, but he was never on the pitch enough to put up an abstractly impressive goal tally. From the eye test though, he was class even when he was the focal point of the attack without Suarez. He was fantastic with Coutinho in the back end of 12/13 after Suarez got banned, and he was still a goal every other game player (when he actually started) until about 16/17 when Firmino became the outright no. 9 and it was clear his legs weren't there anymore to play with the energy Klopp needed up front.

Fantastic goal scorer though. He was a big game goal scorer too which gets underplayed slightly. That one he got against Sevilla in the Europa League final would be much more discussed if we didn't bottle the second half. And he scored the most underappreciated goal of Klopp's tenure imo: an opener in a difficult away game against an in form West Ham, the year we first made the Champions League. We'd thrown away silly points in the run in and it looked like Arsenal were destined to catch us, everyone had that away game down as a banana skin and he scored a typical Sturridge goal off the last defender, nerves of steel with the finish, to put us in front when we'd started really nervously.

Edit: Just saw I made basically the same arguments on the first page of the thread. I stand by them entirely, if it wasn't for the injuries he would be looked back on as world-class.

Last edited:

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Overrated.

Good striker of a ball and because of that he would shoot from stupid positions didn't have much else that was special about him.
You clearly haven't seen him play.

His best attribute was his finishing, but his off the ball movement was class as well. Also had quite a good ball retaining skills.

His partnership with Suarez was brilliant. Suarez rightly gets the most credit for that 13-14, but Sturridge's presence also helped the likes of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

His injury record is terrible, but it's more mental. Eventually he stopped trusting his body.

Cloud7

Still, worse ways to spend your days than living in Australia no doubt earning in excess of 100k a year.
Of course, but there’s every chance he could have ended up like Wilshere, without a club at all. I’m just saying I can understand why this would be a fear in the minds of players.

Drainy

You clearly haven't seen him play.

His best attribute was his finishing, but his off the ball movement was class as well. Also had quite a good ball retaining skills.

His partnership with Suarez was brilliant. Suarez rightly gets the most credit for that 13-14, but Sturridge's presence also helped the likes of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

His injury record is terrible, but it's more mental. Eventually he stopped trusting his body.
Nothing special

Tarrou

He’s really stupid isn’t he

remember that time he got banned for tipping his brother off about his move to Seville but he didn’t even transfer there

CraftySoAndSo

Maybe he no longer has that kind of money going spare. Although if true don't let your mouth write cheques your cheques can't cash.