What happened to Daniel Sturridge?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
One of my most favourite ever strikers that wore the shirt for me. That's saying something considering Fowler, Owen, Suarez, Torres, Salah, etc. I just loved watching him play in full flow and had the celebration to match (it annoyed the feck out of oppo fans so you knew it was perfect!).

If he stayed fit after Suarez left we wouldn't have bought Benteke (shame on you Brendan :( ) and Rodgers would have won the league. Suarez was phenomenal but Sturridge was no poor seconds. Just a shame injuries took everything from him, and us.

Nick7

I’d say the mental toll of those injuries weighed heavy on him too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Genuinely class for about 12 months after signing for pool. Him and Suarez tore it up. That was just him realising the potential that everyone thought he had in him, you don’t play for Chelsea, City and Liverpool without having something about you. Remember him and Wilshere bossing it at Bolton when they were about 20?

GlasgowCeltic

Absolutely no chance were Liverpool winning the league after Suarez left whether Sturridge was fit or not

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely no chance were Liverpool winning the league after Suarez left whether Sturridge was fit or not
Wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to work that out. We didn't win the league that year because we conceeded 50 goals in 38 games. When we were having to score 6 to beat the likes of Cardiff, we were not getting anywhere close to a league title once those goals from Suarez had gone

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
One of my most favourite ever strikers that wore the shirt for me. That's saying something considering Fowler, Owen, Suarez, Torres, Salah, etc. I just loved watching him play in full flow and had the celebration to match (it annoyed the feck out of oppo fans so you knew it was perfect!).

If he stayed fit after Suarez left we wouldn't have bought Benteke (shame on you Brendan :( ) and Rodgers would have won the league. Suarez was phenomenal but Sturridge was no poor seconds. Just a shame injuries took everything from him, and us.
with that cheesy leaky defense and average goalie, you won't have won anything. Your midfield wasn't any special either.

city-puma

I think the impact of constant muscle injuries is underrated in this forum. Especially players that rely on that burst of speed, not everyone can adapt like Giggs. The only players I know who maintained a great careers dispite the constant muscle injuries is Robben and Giggs .
So, true. A series of injuries, one after another following lengthy rehabilitation, constantly had setbacks, this is a huge mental struggle. Most people won’t make it.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.

:lol::lol:

Liverpool finished 25 points behind Chelsea year after Suarez left.

You really think healthy Sturridge would give you 25+ points by himself so that Liverpool would win the league? :houllier:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He was world class, or well on his way to it, before the injuries halted his career. Massive shame. Lovely player to watch and seems like a very decent fella.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interested why it didn't work out at Chelsea. He showed some promise at Man. City and Chelsea signed him pretty young and then he didn't get much chance for two years but the loan to Bolton in 10/11 really kicked him on, joined them in January 2011 and scored 8 league goals in just 12 games.

Came back to Chelsea in 2011/12 and was actually regular starter under AVB, had 9 league goals by the December. Then change was made and seems Di Matteo didn't rate him one little bit, only played 8 minutes in CL after the Napoli second leg which he started and he wasn't injured as he was playing in the dead rubber prem games around that period.

Probably best he moved on for Chelsea in January 2013 as about as far away from Mourinho forward you can get so wouldn't have lasted long in his second spell.

Went to Liverpool and scored 10 league goals in half a season before his career best in 2013/14.

He always seemed to be desperate to play as the CF but I think he was more effective playing wider in the front 3 as 13/14 showed. Last few years it's been all about the injuries. People forget West Brom took him on loan in January 2018 to keep them up but he played about two games for them so that's probably why prem clubs aren't interested anymore although think he'd be a decent option for Fulham given they still lack a ruthless finisher in their squad.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Sure :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Back in 2018 / 2019 he played 27 games for Liverpool... I hadn't really though about it but he's fallen a long way very quickly!

He's still only 31 so I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody pick him up on a free and see if he's still got something to offer... could be a good option for Leicester off the bench?

But if he wants to play regularly I guess lower level Premier league or a championship club ... or perhaps rangers with Gerrard?

Ludens the Red

:lol: I’ll have what you’re having

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He had a fantastic left peg but he never quite rounded off the flaws in his game before injuries overtook him.

Back in 2018 / 2019 he played 27 games for Liverpool... I hadn't really though about it but he's fallen a long way very quickly!

He's still only 31 so I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody pick him up on a free and see if he's still got something to offer... could be a good option for Leicester off the bench?

But if he wants to play regularly I guess lower level Premier league or a championship club ... or perhaps rangers with Gerrard?
We've already got our expert-finisher-to-come-off-the-bench role covered in Defoe.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I’d say the mental toll of those injuries weighed heavy on him too.
This, more than anything. He started getting injured so often he stopped trusting his own body, and at that point he stopped being a top level footballer

Pity because he was one of the most gifted strikers of his(this) era. Loved watching him in full flow in 13/14, Suarez stole the show but he was a top 10 player in the world as well, imo

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
On a weekday in 2010 I saw Daniel Sturridge near the Chelsea store in Kingston. I went in there and asked the staff if there had been some sort of event with the players. One replied "Dan just likes to come in the store unannounced and act the big man. He does it a lot".

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So... he has injury problems and is going to play in a league where referees are very much lennient on rough tackles...

Cloud7

Crazy how he went from being one of the most promising talents around, and an almost league winning striker, to not being able to find a club and ending up in Australia. This is why you can never ever fault a player for looking out for their best interests when it comes to contracts and wages.

Jericho

Crazy how he went from being one of the most promising talents around, and an almost league winning striker, to not being able to find a club and ending up in Australia. This is why you can never ever fault a player for looking out for their best interests when it comes to contracts and wages.
..except when it's Phil Jones.

I never saw it with him. He was brilliant for one season when defenders spent most of their time worrying about Suarez and left him space he would never normally get. Once Suarez was gone so was his purple patch. Outside of that one season 11 goals was the best return he ever had.

Varun

Staff

League + CL double you mean

Cloud7

..except when it's Phil Jones.
Giving Jones a contract was definitely a mistake, but that's on the club, not the player. Can't be upset with the player for looking after their own interests.

Jericho

Giving Jones a contract was definitely a mistake, but that's on the club, not the player. Can't be upset with the player for looking after their own interests.
Sure, was only joking anyway.

FatTails

Without injuries, whose ceiling was higher, Sturridge or Phil Jones? Obviously lots of guesswork here and we can’t know for sure, but curious what people think.

flappyjay

Without injuries, whose ceiling was higher, Sturridge or Phil Jones? Obviously lots of guesswork here and we can’t know for sure, but curious what people think.
I give it to Sturridge because we got a view of what he could be in that 1 season with Liverpool.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I imagine he'll score plenty in Aus if he can stay fit?

Drainy

Overrated.

Good striker of a ball and because of that he would shoot from stupid positions didn't have much else that was special about him.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Still, worse ways to spend your days than living in Australia no doubt earning in excess of 100k a year.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Real shame about his career though. I hope he is able to sustain himself for the rest of his life. These footballers have very short careers.
Given that he was probably earning quite a lot more in a week than most people do in a year, I'm pretty sure he'll be ok..