What happened to Tom Cleverley? | Retires due to injury

KetilOwren88

The simularities with Andres Pereira are there to see. Good basic teqnique, workrate and right foot, but very little end product in both. The biggest difference is that Cleverley just passed sideways whilst Andreas loses the ball to much.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I saw him live a couple of weeks ago against Newcastle. He was as utterly pointless as I remembered, just drifts through matches doing absolutely nothing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I remember the hype him and Anderson received on here, especially after the 8-2 game. :lol:
Our football during that run was gorgeous. I'd kill to be able to watch just that style of play on a weekly basis.

haram

Anderson + Cleverley combination was overrated as well. Only lasted about 5 games anyway if I remember correctly.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I must admit that I don’t remember anything about Cleverley as a player, so I went on YouTube and found this:

Looks decent against strong opposition :confused:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Cleverley is one of the most cowardly player that I have ever seen. People should pay attention to what he used to do to both Carrick and Anderson, he would get rid of the ball on them and then make sure to not be available, hiding behind an opponent or turning his back to the ball carrier.

Ekeke

You are describing Mctominay pretty well.
McTominay can win the ball a bit as well as sideways passing and at times decent dribbling like he showed in the Barcelona game. He also wins the ball in the air a good amount.

I'm not saying he won't also disappoint and I think he has a long way to go, but I'd put him a tier above Cleverley for now because he has a lot more to his game than just passing sideways

SambaBoy

Had a lot of hype before his debut and SAF bigged him up. Started the season off well, looking tidy in midfield and people where saying how he's a Barca type player. After that run of games, everyone then expected him to kick on, starting creating and being more dominant in the middle of the park but after a few months it become apparent that he had reached his level and was never going to improve. He then lost confidence, started getting stick from the fans and didn't have the right mental state to bounce back. Failed at Everton too, but he's done well to remain in the PL so fair play to him.

Martialfc

What happened to him? He got exposed as the fraud footballer that he was. United carried him for years. It’s shocking that he has a premier league medal I used to call him the crab as all he would ever do would be to pass sideways and backwards. Evertonians hated him as well. Now he just warms the bench at Watford. Isn’t it funny the way Danny Welbeck and Cleverley are now doing nothing? and yet they had such a “good career” at man united? We could afford to carry the dross then because we had Carrick, Scholes, Rooney who could shoulder most of the average play from those two muppets. But now when our so called academy prodigies in the form of Rashford and Lingard are too getting exposed as frauds because they aren’t good enough and currently we have no top talent at the club to carry their slack.

Jezpeza

What happened to him? He got exposed as the fraud footballer that he was. United carried him for years. It’s shocking that he has a premier league medal I used to call him the crab as all he would ever do would be to pass sideways and backwards. Evertonians hated him as well. Now he just warms the bench at Watford. Isn’t it funny the way Danny Welbeck and Cleverley are now doing nothing? and yet they had such a “good career” at man united? We could afford to carry the dross then because we had Carrick, Scholes, Rooney who could shoulder most of the average play from those two muppets. But now when our so called academy prodigies in the form of Rashford and Lingard are too getting exposed as frauds because they aren’t good enough and currently we have no top talent at the club to carry their slack.
Yeah there was a weird era he was part of where if you were a cm player who could play a 10 yard ground pass sideways or backwards and not give the ball away you were meant to be the mustard. Same applied to people like Wilshere and Henderson.

At the time i used to tell people if you cant play a ground pass you shouldn't be a professional footballer but everyone used to rave about it.

Sanchez7

Remember the long range goal he scored against Newcastle with a cross/shot. Good times.

Ekeke

I must admit that I don’t remember anything about Cleverley as a player, so I went on YouTube and found this:

Looks decent against strong opposition :confused:
Because thats what he was. Decent. He had the passing skillset of a DM but didnt have the physicality or competitiveness to be a DM or ball winner. He could do the passing bit of a more defensive minded midfielder but that was it.

Ekeke

The simularities with Andres Pereira are there to see. Good basic teqnique, workrate and right foot, but very little end product in both. The biggest difference is that Cleverley just passed sideways whilst Andreas loses the ball to much.
For me the main difference is Andreas' ability to smash one in from range. Cleverley had nothing the quality of that

Josh 76

I remember when he was loaned out to Wigan and fans were hoping he was going to be the answer to our on going CM problems.

IAmAWinner

Kevin Davies.
He was rated hugely here, people were sad he got that Injury. Who needs Sneijder when we have Cleverley remember?

Withnail

Whatever about Lingard as he's 26 and should be reaching his peak but Rashford's 21 and has 2 goals and an assist in 4 games.

Calling him a fraud is unreasonably harsh on the lad.

KetilOwren88

For me the main difference is Andreas' ability to smash one in from range. Cleverley had nothing the quality of that
Well, he scored a screamer against Newcastle mate, but Andreas is better from distance, agree with that.

RooneyLegend

McTominay can win the ball a bit as well as sideways passing and at times decent dribbling like he showed in the Barcelona game. He also wins the ball in the air a good amount.

I'm not saying he won't also disappoint and I think he has a long way to go, but I'd put him a tier above Cleverley for now because he has a lot more to his game than just passing sideways
No way, Scotty McT is a nothing player that'll struggle to stay in this league.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the sad thing about him was he had bottle when he was younger. He took his chances every time he stepped up a level e.g. as I remember it he came into the reserves as a decent right/left back who could also play on either wing, made it into the team eventually as an AM and started bagging goals and assists (think he was captain too?), goes on loan, plays all across the front line and gets goals and assists, made his debut in preseason for us and scores a lovely goal, made it into the first team finally after his loans and looks creative and busy.

Problem is he then seemed to become some sort of Joe Allen figure who was like a DM who doesn't defend / a DLP who doesn't create and I agree with what people are saying about padding his passing stats etc, he lost absolutely everything that had made him a surprise package coming up because he forgot that it wasn't his natural talent that got him there, it was his bottle. A shame in my book as I always like players who make more of their ability than some of their peers might in the same situation. Maybe it's difficult to keep that attitude up once you're a millionaire superstar at 22, who knows.

Acole9

Outstanding
The best English centre midfielder of his generation until that injury vs Bolton.

Martialfc

Whatever about Lingard as he's 26 and should be reaching his peak but Rashford's 21 and has 2 goals and an assist in 4 games.

It’s my opinion and I can understand why people rate Rashford given his stats. But didn’t Lukaku have good stats? In my eyes he too wasn’t good enough to lead the line for Utd. Some people have it and some don’t and I don’t think Rashford has shown that he’s a top top talent. Remember 18 year old Wayne Rooney ? Luis Saha had more class than Rashford. We should be signing players like him.

Withnail

It’s my opinion and I can understand why people rate Rashford given his stats. But didn’t Lukaku have good stats? In my eyes he too wasn’t good enough to lead the line for Utd. Some people have it and some don’t and I don’t think Rashford has shown that he’s a top top talent. Remember 18 year old Wayne Rooney ? Luis Saha had more class than Rashford. We should be signing players like him.

I'm not really bothered if you don't think he's good enough to lead the line. You are entitled to your opinion but I think calling him a fraud is over the top.

Rashford will either kick on over the next year or so or he probably never will but he's improved every season so far so I'm optimistic.

In relation to the other point, Rooney was a one-off, a child in a man's body but Saha wasn't ripping up trees at 21.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Terrible player who had some of the worst technique for kicking a ball I have ever seen. Could only hit it with the instep like a small child.

Had the most annoying habit of screaming for the ball from the centre backs while he was facing them, when they didn't pass because he was marked he'd throw his arms up. When they did pass, he played the ball straight back at them poorly and inviting pressure onto them.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He was certainly better than Richardson or Eagles and had few moments worthy of calling him promising United player, but since PL became better and huge money was invested into some clubs, he simply faded below required level.

fps

Reading many threads on this forum, I wonder whether half the people here don't actually hate Man Utd and 99% of players who have ever represented the club. Such viciousness and negativity around a player who did his best, won a title, got an injury, wasn't quite up to that level and went off to another club.

AJ10

I'll get it started, we shouldn't have let him go.... could do a job for us.:wenger::smirk:

fps

Last I heard he was scoring against Arsenal in the PL.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Terrible player who had some of the worst technique for kicking a ball I have ever seen. Could only hit it with the instep like a small child.

Had the most annoying habit of screaming for the ball from the centre backs while he was facing them, when they didn't pass because he was marked he'd throw his arms up. When they did pass, he played the ball straight back at them poorly and inviting pressure onto them.
Of course he scored :lol: