US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bump.

Did anyone manage to catch the CNL semi? I heard it was atrocious footballing despite holding 80% possession in regulation, and required a crazy own goal to send to extra time.

The match had one of those rare oddities - an opening goal in the first 60 seconds and the equalizing goal in the last 60 seconds of added time.
I watched it… not mutch to say as it was a typical Berhalter game. Lots of pointless possession, no discernible strategy, abominable finishing (Wright aside), and proof that once again Reyna it the most frustrating player in world football. He absolutely owned the field when he came on at halftime, yet two different clubs this season seem to have no interest/trust in playing him. He might end up on one of those ”what if?” lists. Maybe it’s a Dortmund thing as Sancho seems to have similar motivation issues??

Anyways, Reyna and Wright were good, Berhalter did get his subs right, and that is about all I can say. Final tomorrow against Mexico.

Bertie Wooster

Bump.

Did anyone manage to catch the CNL semi? I heard it was atrocious footballing despite holding 80% possession in regulation, and required a crazy own goal to send to extra time.

The match had one of those rare oddities - an opening goal in the first 60 seconds and the equalizing goal in the last 60 seconds of added time.
I watched it on YouTube.

Though as I'm English and only 'follow' the US side from afar here in the UK then my knowledge and opinion probably doesn't count for that much.

I thought the US did some decent approach work in the first half - some decent one touch or quick movements up to the final third that looked like they should create chances. But then their decision making and end product around the Jamaica box was poor.

Jamaica defensed bravely, etc, but I thought there were enough times USA created the gaps and creating the 'chance for a chance', only to be sloppy when it mattered.

As the game wore on, I think that happened less and it looked more likely Jamaica were going to hold out (though I missed some of the second half).

ET was more like the first half, with the difference that it was USA with the momentum and the early goal, and they looked much more comfortable and far less belief in the Jamaican team.

Overall, I'd say USA didn't deserve to be losing at HT - with better end product they probably should have been the team a goal up. But didn't do enough in the second half and were lucky, by then, to equalise. But were much the stronger team in ET.

They'll have to play better against Mexico, and be sharper and more lethal around the opposition box.

BTW, for those more informed US fans on here - what's the latest feeling about Balogun? He seemed a great addition when he opted for the US, but I thought he was poor v Jamaica, and he doesn't seem to be having as good a season in France as last year?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I watched it on YouTube.

Though as I'm English and only 'follow' the US side from afar here in the UK then my knowledge and opinion probably doesn't count for that much.

I thought the US did some decent approach work in the first half - some decent one touch or quick movements up to the final third that looked like they should create chances. But then their decision making and end product around the Jamaica box was poor.

Jamaica defensed bravely, etc, but I thought there were enough times USA created the gaps and creating the 'chance for a chance', only to be sloppy when it mattered.

As the game wore on, I think that happened less and it looked more likely Jamaica were going to hold out (though I missed some of the second half).

ET was more like the first half, with the difference that it was USA with the momentum and the early goal, and they looked much more comfortable and far less belief in the Jamaican team.

Overall, I'd say USA didn't deserve to be losing at HT - with better end product they probably should have been the team a goal up. But didn't do enough in the second half and were lucky, by then, to equalise. But were much the stronger team in ET.

They'll have to play better against Mexico, and be sharper and more lethal around the opposition box.

BTW, for those more informed US fans on here - what's the latest feeling about Balogun? He seemed a great addition when he opted for the US, but I thought he was poor v Jamaica, and he doesn't seem to be having as good a season in France as last year?
I have not seen much more than highlights of his time in France, so I can't speak to that. As for his time on the national team I think it comes down to how the team is set up and how that fits into his skill set. He seems to really excel when he can drop, receive the ball, pass it and then spin to make a run into space. Unfortunately the US strength in attack lies in the wide spaces (Pulisic and Weah with Dest and Robinson overlapping) which relegates him to looking for crosses. It might have looked different if Reyna had started as he is the only midfielder we have who can operate in the middle of the park and provide consistent service to central players. I am assuming Reyna starts tomorrow, but based on Thursday we may see Wright starting centrally. There is a case to be made to start both, but I doubt Berhalter does so, so I think Balogun gets dropped.

Bertie Wooster

I have not seen much more than highlights of his time in France, so I can't speak to that. As for his time on the national team I think it comes down to how the team is set up and how that fits into his skill set. He seems to really excel when he can drop, receive the ball, pass it and then spin to make a run into space. Unfortunately the US strength in attack lies in the wide spaces (Pulisic and Weah with Dest and Robinson overlapping) which relegates him to looking for crosses. It might have looked different if Reyna had started as he is the only midfielder we have who can operate in the middle of the park and provide consistent service to central players. I am assuming Reyna starts tomorrow, but based on Thursday we may see Wright starting centrally. There is a case to be made to start both, but I doubt Berhalter does so, so I think Balogun gets dropped.
Thanks for that. Very interesting points. :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Concacaf and US Soccer doing what they do best: prioritizing money over quality of play. Why they are playing these games on a turf field laid over artificial turf (so the ball is bouncing all over the place) on a super narrow field? Because it’s a big ass stadium in Texas, which means $$$$$.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It is so interesting how us and Mexico have switched styles over the past few years. We dominate possession and play patient while they sit back and try to counter.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There have been matches when the US had a slim possession advantage over Mexico but I can't recall a match where the US dominated possession by this much a gap. It's 60-40 at worst, possibly 65-35 at this point.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There have been matches when the US had a slim possession advantage over Mexico but I can't recall a match where the US dominated possession by this much a gap. It's 60-40 at worst, possibly 65-35 at this point.
The US is just plain better than Mexico now. Better players in pretty much every position. I used to dread these games, now not so much.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
come on fellas, close this game ASAP, I just want to see the Mexican press conspiracies

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The ref booked him for diving after using the screen... is he even allowed to do that?

spottieottiedopaliscious

It’s a Mexico game in Texas so that would be every section.
Most of it seems to be coming from one end but either way don’t like delaying a game just fine their national team. If this was a 1 goal lead it feels like almost an advantage to Mexico.

Well done! Two great goals and we really controlled the game. A very solid team performance.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Congrats, being Argie I'm Fed up with the mexican press, so thank you and FUERA TATA!

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
and BTW TATA, just fecking MAKE a REAL team around Messi in Miami before it gets ugly against Monterrey

Last edited:

bosskeano

a lot of fouls and aggression but not much quality of play from Mexico....honestly one of the worst mexican sides i can remember or worst prepared team to play the US as they were very passive

that said...the US is a completely different team when Adams plays b/c he's so good on the ball and he can cover a lot of ground to break up counters

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
a lot of fouls and aggression but not much quality of play from Mexico....honestly one of the worst mexican sides i can remember or worst prepared team to play the US as they were very passive

that said...the US is a completely different team when Adams plays b/c he's so good on the ball and he can cover a lot of ground to break up counters
Agree regarding Adams.... although I thought Johny looked decent in the second half as Adams replacement. He doesn't have Adams pace or ability to cover half the field (but who, besides peak Kante, does???), but his positioning was excellent and he did quite well breaking up Mexico's play. I still have big issues with how GB sets up the US in attack as it seems to rely heavily on individual duels and less on patterns of play. I was really confused by his use of Reyna as a 6, especially since he spent large chunks of the first half in a deeper position than Adams. That being said, I thought he nailed the subs which is a big improvement and it is obvious the players love playing for him. The lack of offensive coaching will likely limit the teams potential, but there is the chance that can improve, so here's hoping it does!

Bertie Wooster

Pleased for the US. Another good trophy success. :)

I was wanting to watch it but the game kicked off later than the SF - 1.30am UK time - and I set my phone and tried to stay awake to watch it but ended up sleeping through most of it!

USA have now won the first three Nations Leagues, haven't they? That's great! Success is cyclical and Mexico will have their turn no doubt, like in the last Gold Cup. But a great effort by the US to complete a hat trick of Nations League at the start.

Sounds like it was a very deserved win as well.

RoyH1

Success is cyclical and Mexico will have their turn no doubt,
Mexico's problems are structural and run much deeper. All the good work done in their clubs/national setup at lower levels in the 00's has been completely dismantled and the club owners don't care about player development. They can just purchase players from Central/South America on the cheap and keep on raking it in. It's pretty telling that the National team scouts for Mexico now go around fishing for young Mexican-Americans players in the US. The systematic work nationwide at youth level in Mexico is just not there anymore and for such a football mad country, their player output is pitiful.

I don't think they'll catch up to the US for at least a generation. The club owners and Televisa are going to get a rude shellacking with the WC and might wake up after that, but I'll hold my breath. At the rate they're going Canada is going to overtake them in some years.

Gator Nate

I thought after the last matchup that Mexico might have stabilized and things were more or less even again. After last night, nope. We own them right now. They were totally ineffective in the last 30 minutes.

Confident the US will show well in the Copa America.

Bertie Wooster

Mexico's problems are structural and run much deeper. All the good work done in their clubs/national setup at lower levels in the 00's has been completely dismantled and the club owners don't care about player development. They can just purchase players from Central/South America on the cheap and keep on raking it in. It's pretty telling that the National team scouts for Mexico now go around fishing for young Mexican-Americans players in the US. The systematic work nationwide at youth level in Mexico is just not there anymore and for such a football mad country, their player output is pitiful.

I don't think they'll catch up to the US for at least a generation. The club owners and Televisa are going to get a rude shellacking with the WC and might wake up after that, but I'll hold my breath. At the rate they're going Canada is going to overtake them in some years.
Thanks for all that info.

I wasn't aware of all that stuff to do with the way Mexico have been running their football - yep, sounds a mess. Also reflects better on the US than you sometimes seem to hear that they're producing a good generation of players and looking quite strong - even if there is debate about the right manager for the group.

bosskeano

Agree regarding Adams.... although I thought Johny looked decent in the second half as Adams replacement. He doesn't have Adams pace or ability to cover half the field (but who, besides peak Kante, does???), but his positioning was excellent and he did quite well breaking up Mexico's play. I still have big issues with how GB sets up the US in attack as it seems to rely heavily on individual duels and less on patterns of play. I was really confused by his use of Reyna as a 6, especially since he spent large chunks of the first half in a deeper position than Adams. That being said, I thought he nailed the subs which is a big improvement and it is obvious the players love playing for him. The lack of offensive coaching will likely limit the teams potential, but there is the chance that can improve, so here's hoping it does!
I like Musah but i don't think he's a natural 6 so finding a player that can step into the shoes of Adams when he's not fit is really important for them to find. Johny is playing at a good level in spain so that should help a lot and we need a guy like him to develop further.

they certainly do rely on the natural ability of weah and pulisic in 1v1 situations on the wings which can be a blessing and a curse depending on the opposition. I certainly think some pattern play recognition should be there but honestly i don't think that will happen until they finally settle on a #9 because Haji/Floran/Pepi play very differently which can impact space to attack for the wing players. IMO....Greg is trying to simulate the playing style and attacking style of Liverpool with tight wingers and no true creative player in midfield but workhorses and the use of Antonee and Dest to play a the wide attack.

Interesting you mention Reyna in this match as that has been a hot topic on the sirius xm soccer talk show with how he played. biggest debate talked about was his positioning and was that intentional or was that just him moving to find space to get on the ball??

Just from my observation i think Reyna dropped a lot because of Mexico setting up in that 442 hybrid type of press and kept the middle compact. he would move to the outside to get on the ball and push the LB higher trying to create an overload with the winger and fullbacks. Where does Reyna fit and how do you fit him in wiht this group is the big mystery. we know he's capable on the ball but in the midfield he's a defensive liability. If you move him to the wing, you lose Weah and it really puts a premium on Dest bc Reyna would almost naturally move inside. Do you make him the 10 and tell Weston and Adams to focus on more of the tactical roles of counter pressing and being the link players. this is where i don't have faith in Greg and finding a proper solution and balance to the team.