US Men's National Team Discussion

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
You know I am in the first group right? I even visit the Canadian Soccer thread :)
I'm very well aware of the respect, but the I've dealt with one too many Americans elsewhere who'd show that respect but then show their other face the moment things start to not look so good.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Still need to fire his ass, but not going to happen. The players saved his ass today.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Still need to fire his ass, but not going to happen. The players saved his ass today.
Can Berhalter not get credit for his changes? They did improve the team, after all. It's not like the U.S. kept things the same and somehow just started to play better.

Last edited:

Ace Krampus

Well that was nervy but a big win and some GD help to boot. The first half shot and possession numbers will haunt my dreams tonight though.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Can Berhalter not get credit for his changes? They did improve the team, after all. It's not like the U.S. kept things the game and somehow just started to play better.
He gets credit, but the starting formation was an abomination. If I light my house on fire I don't get a medal if I put the fire out.

That starting lineup was 100% him throwing shit on the wall and hoping it worked so he could crow about how smart he is. His ego knows no bounds.

Bertie Wooster

@Vanrouge, @mazhar13 Thanks for the responses. :)

I was pleased / relieved to see the US score. It took place between 3.30-5.30am here in England so couldn't stay up to follow the game (the US - Canada match started at 1am so was just about doable).

I woke up during the first half and saw they were losing and just couldn't work out the formation - good to see I wasn't alone in that! Then woke up to see they'd managed to turn it around after making some much needed subs. Seeing the starting XI, I wasn't surprised to read about what seems an unsurprisingly all over the place first half performance. I'm glad the subs corrected the issue and got the win - but talk about making it hard for themselves with that first XI selection!

FerociousCorgis

regardless of result berhalter should be fired. That was just such a horrendous setup going into a must win game and he absolutely lucked out. Like holy shit it was borderline diabolical and ive seen high school coaches do better than whatever he was trying to accomplish in that first half

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Better talent than Declan Rice but don't tell the Brits, they'll have a fit.
He is absolutely perfect for what United needs. He covered Kante levels of ground last night and that was after playing 180 minutes in the 6 days prior!

bosskeano

a really poor first half which was completely predicated by a poor player selection and team shape. You don't ship Adams out to wing back when he's your best CM and i don't care that is where he played for RB.

You don't play Sargent as a winger.....he has no clue how to play that role nor the skillset to play that role. 343 is fine but you have to play the right personnel with it. It's also not a system you can just throw in place without getting in training sessions to understand the defensive concepts.

Looks to me that John Brooks might be done at the international level as he was poor in this round of qualifiers.

Now...fair play to Pepi and Aaronson for really cementing themselves in the squad for the future with Aaronson probably moving into the starting XI opposite Pulisic on the wing. Pepi will be fighting with Sargent and Dike for the #9 role as i don't see anyone else who might pip that spot.

Antonnee Robinson MUST be the starting LB from here on out with Bello giving him the occasional rest.

Vanrouge

@Vanrouge, @mazhar13 Thanks for the responses. :)

I was pleased / relieved to see the US score. It took place between 3.30-5.30am here in England so couldn't stay up to follow the game (the US - Canada match started at 1am so was just about doable).

I woke up during the first half and saw they were losing and just couldn't work out the formation - good to see I wasn't alone in that! Then woke up to see they'd managed to turn it around after making some much needed subs. Seeing the starting XI, I wasn't surprised to read about what seems an unsurprisingly all over the place first half performance. I'm glad the subs corrected the issue and got the win - but talk about making it hard for themselves with that first XI selection!
I ended up missing the US game, but I thought they'd win. But I think Canadians have been asked to leave the thread, so I'll leave it at that.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I ended up missing the US game, but I thought they'd win. But I think Canadians have been asked to leave the thread, so I'll leave it at that.
You misunderstood, it was a temporary request to prevent friendly fire damage. The Canadians were having a pleasant discussion of their win while the US was melting down. It was for everyone's safety. :)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
GB probably already planning to start Sargent and/or Zardes in the next round of matches, maybe even dreaming of bringing in the American Burro, Altidore.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
GB probably already planning to start Sargent and/or Zardes in the next round of matches, maybe even dreaming of bringing in the American Burro, Altidore.
And you just know he is going to slot Steffen back in.

FerociousCorgis

i
And you just know he is going to slot Steffen back in.
id be less upset about that. Turner is very shakey with ball at feet and wasn't as impressed with his saves as others were it seems. Something about the way he goes down to make a save reminds me a bit of Romero-Not much push off and kinda just falls to the side without covering as much room.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i

id be less upset about that. Turner is very shakey with ball at feet and wasn't as impressed with his saves as others were it seems. Something about the way he goes down to make a save reminds me a bit of Romero-Not much push off and kinda just falls to the side without covering as much room.
For me it is how well he controls the box that makes me want him. Get collected almost every corner kick taken. Maybe its De Gea Derangement Syndrome, but having a GK who comes strong for crosses makes me feel all warm inside.

Vanrouge

You misunderstood, it was a temporary request to prevent friendly fire damage. The Canadians were having a pleasant discussion of their win while the US was melting down. It was for everyone's safety. :)
Ah, gotcha. No worries. I'm not even sure where the Canada-specific thread is, even though I might have posted on it. There's probably a CONCACAF thread too. I guess it isn't fair that we've hijacked this one, but it's been prominent on the main page of late, and it seemed a good place to discuss the US–Canada game... and then we kinda stuck around.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Canadians are always welcome...who else is bringing the good cheap beer?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Canadians are always welcome...who else is bringing the good cheap beer?
Wisconsin (but we're basically Canada adjacent)!

We got some Hi-Life and some Hamms. :D

And yes, Canadians are always welcome. It is kind of endearing that they kinda just hung around this thread to chat amicably while the Americans freaked out. It's basically the most Canadian thing ever.

Vanrouge

Wisconsin (but we're basically Canada adjacent)!

We got some Hi-Life and some Hamms. :D

And yes, Canadians are always welcome. It is kind of endearing that they kinda just hung around this thread to chat amicably while the Americans freaked out. It's basically the most Canadian thing ever.
:lol:

I've driven through Wisconsin. Twice now, I think (both long road trips from Vancouver to NYC). One day I'll stop and check it out properly.

NecssryEvil

And now his pops is on Twitter claiming he was not alone but that he will not be snitching. Not helping dad, not helping. What a mess.

I do love how US Soccer Twitter was all giddy about video of GB jogging around downtown Nashville, maskless and inches from people in one of the most COVID dense areas in the world. Not the same but shows again that the powers must be protected.

Ahhh, yes. American whataboutism in full view.

John, your boy fecked up and anyone else there is irrelevant.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
to be fair I would love to spend a night out in Nashville and catch a couple of concerts in bars

I even watched the eponymous TV series for a few of seasons

bosskeano

to be fair I would love to spend a night out in Nashville and catch a couple of concerts in bars

I even watched the eponymous TV series for a few of seasons
the females are a better sight to see than the concerts

bosskeano

I'm angling for females singing country music on stage, along with females on bicycles that's firmly a fetish of mine
well shit....you can't walk by a bar in downtown nashville without finding some female(sober or not) up on a stage signing country music.

Robbie Boy

Better talent than Declan Rice but don't tell the Brits, they'll have a fit.
Just one of many! But the British media are having people believe he's a £70m to £80m player! I really hope Chelsea sign him so he's never linked with us again. However, since Lampard left, I think the interest left with him.

On Adams; I've seen some bits of him and he looks absolutely brilliant. He really had a breakout season for Leipzig last year and I fancy him to improve further this season. He likely won't come cheap at this stage.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just one of many! But the British media are having people believe he's a £70m to £80m player! I really hope Chelsea sign him so he's never linked with us again. However, since Lampard left, I think the interest left with him.

On Adams; I've seen some bits of him and he looks absolutely brilliant. He really had a breakout season for Leipzig last year and I fancy him to improve further this season. He likely won't come cheap at this stage.
He was absolutely sensational last night. He was everywhere even though our dumbass coach put him at RB. If he wasn't American I am 100% convinced the Caf would have a thread on him in the Transfer forum. I know I am a broken record on this but he is exactly what United need in the midfield. He does so much work in front of the defense to free up the (unfortunate for the USA nonexistent) midfield and he is a decent to good dribbler and improving passer as well. He likely will not be cheap and I think that number is going to go up this year. Finally, he is a natural leader on the pitch regardless of who is wearing the armband and directs traffic for both club and country. My dream signing.