US Men's National Team Discussion

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think if Reyna stays healthy, this US team will surprise people at the WC. He is an absolute class player. Easily our best player when fit. I think we’ll make it out of that group and then anything can happen.
Reyna is a fairly talented kid, but I don't see a reason to expect that he's going to be a difference maker at the WC. He's not even a starter for Dortmund.

NewYorkRed

Reyna is a fairly talented kid, but I don't see a reason to expect that he's going to be a difference maker at the WC. He's not even a starter for Dortmund.
He would’ve been a starter had he stayed healthy.

colombianmancunian

If Conmebol was to be fused with Concacaf, the USA wouldn’t go to the World Cup. They look better than they are due to a weak confederacy.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He's very talented, but he doesn't have a set role or position within the U.S. side....it's all too loose with Greg. You look at Canada and you see a defined system and player who know what is expected of them to get the best out of them and the team.

The core team will probably revolve around Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Aaronson, and Reyna. But none of them are a pure CF and a line of Reyna, Pulisic, and Aaronson is a bit lightweight but theoretically sounds good on the counter...depends on who is the CF ahead of them, if McKennie and Adams are a midfield two, but have seen Greg go with a midfield 3 many times.
Weah is also part of that core group, probably in the top 2-3 attacking players during qualifying.

That being said, it is 100% going to be a midfield 3 of Adams behind McKennie and Musah. That leaves Reyna/Weah/Pulisic/Aaronson fight for 2 spots, 3 if he plays one as a forward. My guess is that at least one of those guys is injured and Fereira starts up top with Pulisic and Aaronsson on the wings and Reyna/Weah off the bench. Going from Morris and Ariola as starting wingers to worrying about which guy has to sit is a nice development.

edcunited1878

Weah is also part of that core group, probably in the top 2-3 attacking players during qualifying.

That being said, it is 100% going to be a midfield 3 of Adams behind McKennie and Musah. That leaves Reyna/Weah/Pulisic/Aaronson fight for 2 spots, 3 if he plays one as a forward. My guess is that at least one of those guys is injured and Fereira starts up top with Pulisic and Aaronsson on the wings and Reyna/Weah off the bench. Going from Morris and Ariola as starting wingers to worrying about which guy has to sit is a nice development.
Yes, there's the context I was missing! But you're totally right, those are pure grafters who have their spot during CONCACAF qualifying and that is needed. For the WC where we need a lot more temperment and quality on/off the ball, that will be very beneficial to have Morris and Ariola come off the bench.

It's good to have a different threat like Reyna or Weah coming off the bench...but whether or not Greg actually makes the right subs, changes, etc at the right time, that's a totally different subject.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yes, there's the context I was missing! But you're totally right, those are pure grafters who have their spot during CONCACAF qualifying and that is needed. For the WC where we need a lot more temperment and quality on/off the ball, that will be very beneficial to have Morris and Ariola come off the bench.

It's good to have a different threat like Reyna or Weah coming off the bench...but whether or not Greg actually makes the right subs, changes, etc at the right time, that's a totally different subject.
Oh, absolutely. I can’t wait for the first game of the WC where he takes off Pulisic and puts on Roldon (narrator: “Roldon was not on the WC roster) and melts down when he realizes that.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Just look at the rosters of most of the D1 programs across the country, they are heavy with foreign players. You have rosters where 2/3rd's of the rosters are foreign which isn't good for the american players and reaching their full development
The college system in general is not meant for professional development in this sport.

NewYorkRed

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the upcoming World Cup and not about what-if-wonderland.
Haha what is your problem dude? Stop being a prick just for no reason. I gave my opinion, don’t agree with it? Cool. But don’t give me these underhanded bitchy type comments.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Haha what is your problem dude? Stop being a prick just for no reason. I gave my opinion, don’t agree with it? Cool. But don’t give me these underhanded bitchy type comments.
And I gave mine: what might have been is irrelevant for the tournament, all that matters is what actually is.

And even if we talk in hypotheticals: you think he would displace Reus? Bellingham?

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And I gave mine: what might have been is irrelevant for the tournament, all that matters is what actually is.

And even if we talk in hypotheticals: you think he would displace Reus? Bellingham?
I guess that depends on where Terzic sees Reyna’s best position. He came up, and plays for the US, as a right winger and sometime central attacking midfielder. Reus seems to operate in that central spot, so that’s out as he is the superior player and your club captain. Bellingham, from the games I have seen, seems to be playing deeper and I do not think that role suits Reyna (and Bellingham is the much superior player in that role), so that’s out as well. That leaves the right wing and I do think, again based only on the 4-5 games I have seen this season, that Reyna could be the better option to Brandt/Wolf when healthy.

NewYorkRed

I don’t watch enough of your feeder club to know who he would displace. I just know he was a regular starter before he got hurt.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don’t watch enough of your feeder club to know who he would displace. I just know he was a regular starter before he got hurt.

Maybe you can spot the irony?

mu4c_20le

Not sure if that means much, considering Dortmund has been fairly poor this season and can barely score goals.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I guess that depends on where Terzic sees Reyna’s best position. He came up, and plays for the US, as a right winger and sometime central attacking midfielder. Reus seems to operate in that central spot, so that’s out as he is the superior player and your club captain. Bellingham, from the games I have seen, seems to be playing deeper and I do not think that role suits Reyna (and Bellingham is the much superior player in that role), so that’s out as well. That leaves the right wing and I do think, again based only on the 4-5 games I have seen this season, that Reyna could be the better option to Brandt/Wolf when healthy.
Dortmund have messed up their squad building, which is why they ended up with Reus, Brandt and Reyna in the squad, but few actual wide players, thus often having to shift one of them to that vacancy. But that doesn't make any of them good "wingers", Adeyemi and Bynoe Gittens are the designated fix to that issue, Reyna lacks pace for the wing and he's not been amazingly productive when playing there either. The injury of Reus is his chance to grab some minutes in the center now.

Not sure if that means much, considering Dortmund has been fairly poor this season and can barely score goals.
And that's an argument for the quality of the players, who don't get selected? When the competition isn't doing well it should be easy to take their spot.

bosskeano

The college system in general is not meant for professional development in this sport.
absolutely not b/c they are too limited by regulations for allowing them practice time....which actually solidifies my point about limiting the number of foreign players that you can have on your roster.

bosskeano

I can't for the life of me see how Roldon, Zardes, Arriola make the world cup squad....that would be quite sad on our part just given the players who are playing abroad and available

attacking wise alone.....the only position in question is CF but you still have Ferreira, Pefok, Sargaent and Pepi as 4 options

Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah, Haji Wright

midfield group....Adams, McKennie, Musah(starting 3)....Tillman and De La Torre....who the 6th guy might be is the final puzzle piece, probably Acosta?

defensively.....Dest and Robinson will probably start at the back, but the real question is CB. What we have a guys with decent size but lack the pace of a real Int'l CB or the technical guile of a real Int'l CB.

I think the US has a strong enough team, they have a strong pressing structure and this group has been together for a long enough period that they have a great chance of making it to the knock about stage IF the CB's can play error free.

mu4c_20le

And that's an argument for the quality of the players, who don't get selected? When the competition isn't doing well it should be easy to take their spot.
Nah I'm just questioning the management so far, and staring guys like Wolff over him. Feels like only a year or two ago when he was constantly popping up with important goals and assists and bailing you guys out. Really hope its just fitness and that he hasn't actually regressed.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nah I'm just questioning the management so far, and staring guys like Wolff over him. Feels like only a year or two ago when he was constantly popping up with important goals and assists and bailing you guys out. Really hope its just fitness and that he hasn't actually regressed.
Wolf has mainly been playing as LB and RB this season.
Reyna has recorded 6 goals and 9 assists in his Bundesliga career, there actually isn't much room for "constantly popping up with important G/A".

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I can't for the life of me see how Roldon, Zardes, Arriola make the world cup squad....that would be quite sad on our part just given the players who are playing abroad and available

attacking wise alone.....the only position in question is CF but you still have Ferreira, Pefok, Sargaent and Pepi as 4 options

Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah, Haji Wright

midfield group....Adams, McKennie, Musah(starting 3)....Tillman and De La Torre....who the 6th guy might be is the final puzzle piece, probably Acosta?

defensively.....Dest and Robinson will probably start at the back, but the real question is CB. What we have a guys with decent size but lack the pace of a real Int'l CB or the technical guile of a real Int'l CB.

I think the US has a strong enough team, they have a strong pressing structure and this group has been together for a long enough period that they have a great chance of making it to the knock about stage IF the CB's can play error free.
Yeah, Acosta is going as Adams backup at the 6. I think you’re right about LDT and Tillman as the backup MF’s as Reyna and Aaronsson can slide inside in a pinch if needed. Up front I think it’s Ferreira as a lock and probably Sargeant. The third spot is Pepi vs. Pefok. The back line depth chart picks itself with only the backup LB being a question (Vines vs Scally).

bosskeano

Yeah, Acosta is going as Adams backup at the 6. I think you’re right about LDT and Tillman as the backup MF’s as Reyna and Aaronsson can slide inside in a pinch if needed. Up front I think it’s Ferreira as a lock and probably Sargeant. The third spot is Pepi vs. Pefok. The back line depth chart picks itself with only the backup LB being a question (Vines vs Scally).
I think Antonnee Robinson is honestly a lock at LB, Dest at RB.....who is going to play CB for me is the key to all of this.

smallsnc

Supports
Tottenham
Just look at the rosters of most of the D1 programs across the country, they are heavy with foreign players. You have rosters where 2/3rd's of the rosters are foreign which isn't good for the american players and reaching their full development
I think the bigger issue is the limits on matches and practice time. The college guys lose 1/3 to 1/2 of a year development compared to guys in pro managed systems. Regarding the foreign verse American thing, it is interesting that the top 2 teams in the country right now, Clemson and Wake Forest, have a combined 12 foreign players (including one Canadian) out of a combined 60 rostered players.

smallsnc

Supports
Tottenham

Not going to replace them but has the quality to be a difference maker when playing with them. As long as Reyna stays healthy, I think he will get a run of starts for Dortmund before the WC. And by the way, it is not the now (as in September that counts), but it is the form and fitness these guys are in for the WC in November that matters.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think Antonnee Robinson is honestly a lock at LB, Dest at RB.....who is going to play CB for me is the key to all of this.
Robinson is for sure, but I bet GB starts Dest situationally. I would wager Yedlin starts vs. England.

bosskeano

I think the bigger issue is the limits on matches and practice time. The college guys lose 1/3 to 1/2 of a year development compared to guys in pro managed systems. Regarding the foreign verse American thing, it is interesting that the top 2 teams in the country right now, Clemson and Wake Forest, have a combined 12 foreign players (including one Canadian) out of a combined 60 rostered players.
Clemson traditionally has had a bigger foreign presence and one of the kids on the Clemson roster is a kid that I coached for a number of years so i've gotten to know the Mike Noonan quite well over the years....He's a guy that is really started to change his focus and look more towards American kids, particularly the academy players, and mixing them with a handful of foreign kids.

where as you'll see some of the non traditional power house programs have 12-14 on a roster for one program.

smallsnc

Supports
Tottenham
Clemson traditionally has had a bigger foreign presence and one of the kids on the Clemson roster is a kid that I coached for a number of years so i've gotten to know the Mike Noonan quite well over the years....He's a guy that is really started to change his focus and look more towards American kids, particularly the academy players, and mixing them with a handful of foreign kids.

where as you'll see some of the non traditional power house programs have 12-14 on a roster for one program.
It is very encouraging how far the academies' level of play (and youth development in the US in general) has come since it started in 2007. My older son played the first year the US Dev Academy was created when he was a senior in high school and the play / development is much better now. Even with that, he was so much better prepared for his freshman season in college after just the one year of DA than his non-DA fellow freshmen.

NoPace

Seems like the logical move for them after this World Cup is to hire a Red Bull guy next (Hassenhuttl if he gets sacked maybe?) and then they can play the pressing 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 Leeds now use with Reyna up top with a striker, Aaronson and Pulisic behind them with McKennie and whatever CM fits best. Dest and Robinson can provide some width.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Seems like the logical move for them after this World Cup is to hire a Red Bull guy next (Hassenhuttl if he gets sacked maybe?) and then they can play the pressing 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 Leeds now use with Reyna up top with a striker, Aaronson and Pulisic behind them with McKennie and whatever CM fits best. Dest and Robinson can provide some width.
Maybe?? The problem is that all 3 MF's (Adams, McKennie, Musah) need to be on the field in my opinion. That trio is the strength of this team and I think Musah is going to be the best of the 3 by 2026.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't think Chris Richards has played at all for Palace yet. Would've been logical move if they were playing 3atb but Andersen-Guehi is arguably best CB combo outside top 6 so he'll have a frustrating wait for minutes.

Is Brooks still rated, endless experience in Bundesliga and actually Tim Ream has surprisingly started the season fine at Fulham although he's not going to be given best forwards at WC sleepless nights.

Think this is just tournament for US to get out of the group and get them dreaming more for 2026 when it will be easier group stage draw (not that this is a group of death) and you can really hit the ground running infront of home support.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Don't think Chris Richards has played at all for Palace yet. Would've been logical move if they were playing 3atb but Andersen-Guehi is arguably best CB combo outside top 6 so he'll have a frustrating wait for minutes.

Is Brooks still rated, endless experience in Bundesliga and actually Tim Ream has surprisingly started the season fine at Fulham although he's not going to be given best forwards at WC sleepless nights.

Think this is just tournament for US to get out of the group and get them dreaming more for 2026 when it will be easier group stage draw (not that this is a group of death) and you can really hit the ground running infront of home support.
Brooks/Ream is not an option based on Berhalter’s injury replacements for Richards/CCV. Richards move to Palace looks like a weird one. I wonder if Palace thought Anderson was going to be sold??

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
JFC, the US basically has an entire starting XI out injured:

Steffen
Moore - CCV - Richards - Robinson
Mussah
?? - ??
Weah - Pulisic
??

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
US not looking great, but sweet lord this field is horrible. Expected better from you Germany. Seen better field in CONCACAF.