US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
US looking shaky, but 80% of that is that GB has done nothing to adjust to Japan's shape change. The MF is getting swamped and he has done nothing.

RedDevilQuebecois

I'm currently watching this match mostly because Japan is often my favorite underdog in World Cups and I can rarely be in a right time window to watch them. Honestly, I have to say Berhalter's men are lucky to not be down by 3 goals now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Aaron Long should not be on the field. Vines might as well be a traffic cone. Ugh.

bosskeano

442 is so simple to play against if you know how to build and what your defensive rotations are.....they don't look prepared for it at all

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
442 is so simple to play against if you know how to build and what your defensive rotations are.....they don't look prepared for it at all
All these blind passing giveaways makes me think the GB trained them for Japan's usual shape and now they are lost. No adjustments whatsoever.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A GB Masterclass. We have to be the only WC team in the world that can look so lost tactically just weeks before the WC.

zbcrow15

This has been a disastrous first half. 28 turnovers in your own half in the first 35 mins is comical. Vines doing nothing. Long and Zimmerman should not be playing together. Aaronson or Reyna need to move inside to help us progress the ball forward.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So, second half and more of the same tactically. Even I can see that trying to play out of the back while being pressed by superior numbers is a recipe for disaster. But then again, GB is a genius in his own head so no changes. Idiot.

RedDevilQuebecois

@WI_Red Any insight on why U.S. Soccer have not sacked GB yet when the signs of everything going for the worst are there? I sure remember when Japan sacked Vahid Halilhodžić because 1) of poor results in friendlies in late 2017 (before the World Cup) and then 2) Moyes-esque comments about South Korea dominating Japan in terms of "explosiveness of power, technique and control of the game."

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@WI_Red Any insight on why U.S. Soccer have not sacked GB yet when the signs of everything going for the worst are there? I sure remember when Japan sacked Vahid Halilhodžić because 1) of poor results in friendlies in late 2017 and then 2) Moyes-esque comments about South Korea dominating Japan in terms of "explosiveness of power, technique and control of the game."
A few reasons:

1. They took a lot of grief with his hiring, especially since it was his brother who had a big part in the hiring. To sack him would make them look bad.
2. Everyone in the US hierarchy (McBride, Stewart) and US soccer media (Twellman, Holden, Dempsey, etc.) are now guys who played with GB or with guys who are his friends.
3. The US has such low expectations that just (barely) qualifying is good enough. Unless the US get embaressed in a few weeks I am 100% GB will get a 4 year extension.

This team desperately needs a progressive and proactive coach. GB thinks he is a progressive coach because he wants to keep possession, but he is so arrogant that he is incapable and unwilling to adjust when needed. Today is a perfect example. Japan has changed shape and is pressing the US backline hard. The US defense and GK are not proficient at playing out of the back at the best of times, but instead of sending it long GB insists on playing out of the back. This led to 39(!!!!) turnovers in the defensive 3rd in the first half. That is criminal.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Tactical genius GB now has Sargent playing as a RW and Morris up front. Way to give Sargent a chance to win the job you absolute piece of MLS loving shit.

Edit. After 8-10 min of that abomination he moved them back.

FerociousCorgis

@WI_Red Any insight on why U.S. Soccer have not sacked GB yet when the signs of everything going for the worst are there? I sure remember when Japan sacked Vahid Halilhodžić because 1) of poor results in friendlies in late 2017 (before the World Cup) and then 2) Moyes-esque comments about South Korea dominating Japan in terms of "explosiveness of power, technique and control of the game."
really the key is US Federation is just completely inept, as are the people they hire. From day one ive not been a fan of GB, and hes done nothing to show me anything consistently to change my mind. He will either leave talented players at home/play them out of position, or make room for his guys in some sort of weird belief that his "system" trumps all. Not a chance he gets sacked at any point soon.

Also dont forget this federation didnt fire Arena immediately after the most embarrassing failure in USMNT soccer history. Any respectable federation wouldve had his ass fired within a day.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No hyperbole, this is the worst it's been in years. Worse than Panama and on par with the first half against Honduras. We look lost tactically and the players look shell shocked. Japan is very good, but not this good.

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
A few reasons:

1. They took a lot of grief with his hiring, especially since it was his brother who had a big part in the hiring. To sack him would make them look bad.
2. Everyone in the US hierarchy (McBride, Stewart) and US soccer media (Twellman, Holden, Dempsey, etc.) are now guys who played with GB or with guys who are his friends.
3. The US has such low expectations that just (barely) qualifying is good enough. Unless the US get embaressed in a few weeks I am 100% GB will get a 4 year extension.

This team desperately needs a progressive and proactive coach. GB thinks he is a progressive coach because he wants to keep possession, but he is so arrogant that he is incapable and unwilling to adjust when needed. Today is a perfect example. Japan has changed shape and is pressing the US backline hard. The US defense and GK are not proficient at playing out of the back at the best of times, but instead of sending it long GB insists on playing out of the back. This led to 39(!!!!) turnovers in the defensive 3rd in the first half. That is criminal.
Criminal? Come on.

Berhalter was brought in because the previous coaching staff shit the bed and didn't qualify for Russia 2018. Since he arrived, we have been much better. Stop with your agenda.

FerociousCorgis

No hyperbole, this is the worst it's been in years. Worse than Panama and on par with the first half against Honduras. We look lost tactically and the players look shell shocked. Japan is very good, but not this good.
nah that first half in honduras or whatever game that was prob still takes the cake. We were so close to getting GB out and having a chance at someone decent coming in (although prob just another mls retread would come in). Thankfully ive just tuned this game out now. I know everything about Greg that needs to be known. We will have too many of his "guys" in over more talented players that most coaches would find ways to incorporate into a squad

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
nah that first half in honduras or whatever game that was prob still takes the cake. We were so close to getting GB out and having a chance at someone decent coming in (although prob just another mls retread would come in). Thankfully ive just tuned this game out now. I know everything about Greg that needs to be known. We will have too many of his "guys" in over more talented players that most coaches would find ways to incorporate into a squad
I think he has been forced to move away from picking His Guys(tm) as they were on the verge of getting him fired, but his addiction to MLS CB's is going to be a problem. Zimmerman deserves his spot, he has earned it, but Long/McKenzzie (yes, I know he is no longer in MLS, but...yeah) have shown tonight they have no place on the field. The problem now is he has no idea what to do with the squad he has and this an abomination (Japan just scored again) of a performance. We would be better off sacking him tonight and bringing in Tuchel for 2 months..(I am only half kidding). This is really, really, worrying. We'll probably beat Saudi Arabia 1-0 next week and US Soccer will proclaim all is good.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'd be calling Poch tonight and offering a three-month contract through the World Cup. If he says no just continue down my list of available managers.
Poch doesn't understand MLS or American culture so he can't be the US coach because reasons.

RedDevilQuebecois

I'd be calling Poch tonight and offering a three-month contract through the World Cup. If he says no just continue down my list of available managers.
What about Jesse Marsch? I always rated him despite the recent failure at Leipzig, and I sure would appreciate it even more if he gets away from Leeds.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What about Jesse Marsch? I always rated him despite the recent failure at Leipzig, and I sure would appreciate it even more if he gets away from Leeds.
Why would he want to leave Leeds? I could see him being persuaded to take over for the 26 cup since it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach the national team on home soil, but I still doubt it. Face it, we're (the US, not you guys, you have a great coach) fecked.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Criminal? Come on.

Berhalter was brought in because the previous coaching staff shit the bed and didn't qualify for Russia 2018. Since he arrived, we have been much better. Stop with your agenda.
I was talking about giving the ball away in the defensive 3rd 39 times in a half.

Sure we've been better since he took over, but that was almost impossible to not do. And yes, I have an agenda, which is to not suck. If you watch the US play and can't see the glaring tactical and player selection issues then I I don't know what to say.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Alright, so what’s going on here ? How close to the starting eleven are playing now?
I have not seen any of it. That looks like the best 11 he can put out though.
-edit: Just took a better look and I have issues:
- Playing Dest on the left and not trying Scalley over there is bullshit
- Pepi over Sargeant is bullshit
- Acosts AND Adams is bullshit
edit 2:
Long....again..... GB has a ton of faults, he is basically a walking shitshow, but his absolute obsession with MLS CB's is frightening.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I have not seen any of it. That looks like the best 11 he can put out though.
-edit: Just took a better look and I have issues:
- Playing Dest on the left and not trying Scalley over there is bullshit
- Pepi over Sargeant is bullshit
- Acosts AND Adams is bullshit
Saw Reyna was taken off after 30 for Areola (sp?). Announcers were confused as to if it was pre planned or not.

How many missed this match due to injury?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Saw Reyna was taken off after 30 for Areola (sp?). Announcers were confused as to if it was pre planned or not.

How many missed this match due to injury?
CCV, Richards, A. Robinson, M. Robinson (long term), Musah, Weah

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Didn’t realize this is our last prep match before Qatar. Thought we had another one.

A quite drab game thus far.
Yep, but don't say anything bad about the coach. Everything is fine and if you think its not you have an agenda.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
cnutish tackle there.

Joe Machnik is still alive. I used to go to his advanced camps all the time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Been watching the last 20 min or so and the body language is horrible. They look defeated mentally and this is it, there are no more games before the WC. Really worrying.