MF: Stewart - Decent
MF: Beasley - Very good player
MF: Reyna - Fantastic
MF: O'Brien - if only he was ever healthy
F: Donovan - arguably our best ever player
F: McBride - arguably our best ever CF

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Our idiot head coach loves playing a high line....., but Berhalter gunna Berhalter.
Damn, your obsession with Berhalter is borderline mental. Do you forget about the failure of not qualifying for that last World Cup? And the changes that were necessary to get past that debacle?

The US team has a better team, better style and better record under Berhalter than any other manager/coach. Some Americans, I think, forget what the USSF used to look like and what our teams would perform like under other, more glamourous, managers/coaches!!!

Berhalter 2018-present: Best win%, best goals/game, best goals against/game, 2 trophies

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Looking at that picture we could sure use Onyewu and Boca in this team for that backline. Gooch is one of my favorite USMNT players ever. Lot of familiar American football commentators in that pic (Gooch,Gomez, Holden, Edu, Howard) as well as coaches/execs (Dolo, Berhalter, McBride).
I preferred DeMerit in the middle those years and he did play there for all four 2010 matches. Cherundolo-DeMerit-Onyewu-Bocanegra was a solid back line. Onyewu was injured in the second group game in 2010 if memory serves.

Much better than Bradley's decision to put Bornstein at LB when shifted Bocanegra inside, dreadful. Pearce was a far better LB and constantly shut out by Bradley's weird player choices.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is actually not a bad call.

GK: Friedel - arguably our best ever GK
RB: Dolo - arguably our best ever RB
LB: Frankie - Meh
CB: Pope - arguably our best ever CB
CB: Aggos - Meh
Think you might be slighting Earnie there as only ‘decent,’ but the rest is pretty good. They were our GG.

MrMarcello

Sanneh was the RB that tournament, Cherundolo never appeared that I recall. Mastroeni also played frequently, giving foil to the midfield to run amock. Jones and Lewis also played on the wings in rotation with Beasley, Donovan, and Stewart. Mathis also played frequently either off McBride or for McBride. Him and O'Brien combining on that goal vs South Korea. :drool:

Agoos was horrendous that tournament and benched for Berhalter after the group matches. He was injured in a friendly preceding the Cup and was rushed back to start the group matches such was Arena's loyalty to his DC United man. Berhalter (or Llamosa) should have been partnering Pope the entire tournament due to Agoos' 1) lingering injury and 2) lack of pace going up against sides like Portugal and South Korea. He was subbed off in the first half against Poland down 2-0, supposedly for the injury.

RedTiger

Half mast

Friedel, McBride and Pope in the current squad would've made you guys outside contenders!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sanneh was the RB that tournament, Cherundolo never appeared that I recall. Mastroeni also played frequently, giving foil to the midfield to run amock. Jones and Lewis also played on the wings in rotation with Beasley, Donovan, and Stewart. Mathis also played frequently either off McBride or for McBride. Him and O'Brien combining on that goal vs South Korea. :drool:

Agoos was horrendous that tournament and benched for Berhalter after the group matches. He was injured in a friendly preceding the Cup and was rushed back to start the group matches such was Arena's loyalty to his DC United man. Berhalter (or Llamosa) should have been partnering Pope the entire tournament due to Agoos' 1) lingering injury and 2) lack of pace going up against sides like Portugal and South Korea. He was subbed off in the first half against Poland down 2-0, supposedly for the injury.
Yeah, my apologies. I was looking at the roster in the frame of their peak years, not just in 02.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Friedel, McBride and Pope in the current squad would've made you guys outside contenders!
Turner is fine as GK, but my word what I would not give for a peak McBride and Pope (especially Pope!!!) on this roster.

MrMarcello

Yeah, my apologies. I was looking at the roster in the frame of their peak years, not just in 02.
Probably the deepest squad in US history. Also had two starters injured before the squad announcement deadline - Armas and Vanney.

Howard probably should have been the third keeper but Arena took Meola for a veteran presence think he said. Understandable but dumb IMO - you take whomever is the third best keeper, which was either Howard, Hahnemann, or Thornton at the time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Damn, your obsession with Berhalter is borderline mental. Do you forget about the failure of not qualifying for that last World Cup? And the changes that were necessary to get past that debacle?

The US team has a better team, better style and better record under Berhalter than any other manager/coach. Some Americans, I think, forget what the USSF used to look like and what our teams would perform like under other, more glamourous, managers/coaches!!!

Berhalter 2018-present: Best win%, best goals/game, best goals against/game, 2 trophies
Yep, I admit I did not, and do not, want him as the coach.

Best win%? The US has played 12 games against non CONCACAF teams in his tenure and has
4 wins: Ecuador, Qatar, Bosnia, Morocco
3 loses: Venezuela, Japan, Switzerland
5 draws: Saudi Arabia, Chile, Wales, Uruguay (x2)
Is that acceptable?

Best Goals Per game?
The US has scored 3+ goals 15 times in those 56 games, all of them against CONCAF except for 3 against Morocco, and only the 4 against Canada and 3 (in extra time) against Mexico being against teams that qualified for the WC.

Trophies I will give you, he won the 2 he could win.

Listen, I want to be wrong. I want you to come on here in a month and rightfully piss all over my takes. I want GB to be the American Pep. All I can say though is that his tactics and in game management have been, in my mind, an issue this cycle. If not for Pepi pulling his ass out of the fire in Honduras he may not be in a job and we may no be playing on Monday.

When it comes down to it, I guess my biggest issue has always been that we could have done better in our coach hiring. The nepotism that led to him becoming coach and the arrogance of the federation in claiming an exhaustive search when they interviewed basically no one else got us off on the wrong foot and nothing since has raised my hopes.

Bertie Wooster

Best of wishes to the USA at the world cup. I'm hoping you get through the group along with England. :)

As I've posted before on here, the US are one of my 'other' national teams that I like to see win. I don't post much on the thread as I've far less knowledge of the players / system, watching on from afar, so I have little to contribute. But I very much enjoy reading it to get a better insight on the current group and the attitudes towards them.

For what it's worth, I was also very surprised to see Pepi's omission. And I've watched quite a lot of the MLS this last season and I agree that Morris is very lucky to get in above some of the others.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I hugged random strangers as I ran around a bar in Lancaster, PA.
I was sat on the bar at MacDintons with a broken leg (a pub in Tampa) & the walls had condensation on the walls due to the sheer number of people crammed into it & it being so fecking hot. It was absolutely chaotic when that goal went in.

EtH

We’ll considering America has a World Series and world champions in sports they play against themselves it’s quite accurate
TBF the level of those leagues (MLB, NBA & NFL) has no comparison elsewhere.

432JuanMata

TBF the level of those leagues (MLB, NBA & NFL) has no comparison elsewhere.
I agree with NBA and MLB but in NFL how can you be world champions when you only play it.
Don’t get me wrong the US are elite at the sports they play and it stems from scholarships which develops players in schools and colleges from a young age.
I just find it funny that they say World Series etc when it’s a league in on US

EtH

I agree with NBA and MLB but in NFL how can you be world champions when you only play it.
Don’t get me wrong the US are elite at the sports they play and it stems from scholarships which develops players in schools and colleges from a young age.
I just find it funny that they say World Series etc when it’s a league in on US
I guess it’s the idea that you beat the best in the world. Though you’re right only we really play tackle football aside from a few Canadians I guess. I suppose North American Champions doesn’t have the same right though. The NFL is just stupid. As is American football in general.

TBH the way we decide things over here with playoffs gets right up on my tits. Especially in baseball where you play 162 fecking games and then decide the “champions” based on a best of seven series. Reductive doesn’t even half cover it.

432JuanMata

I guess it’s the idea that you beat the best in the world. Though you’re right only we really play tackle football aside from a few Canadians I guess. I suppose North American Champions doesn’t have the same right though. The NFL is just stupid. As is American football in general.

TBH the way we decide things over here with playoffs gets right up on my tits. Especially in baseball where you play 162 fecking games and then decide the “champions” based on a best of seven series. Reductive doesn’t even half cover it.
Same as Basketball you can go literally unbeaten the whole season and lose best of 7 etc.

Though baseball is even harder as it’s most unpredictable as you need a all round good team and bull pen. Like take the Angels with Ohtani and especially Trout(wasted his career) they are 2 of the best still LA are shit

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
2014 in Durham didn't have enough room to run around in. :lol: The new bar is quite a bit bigger though.
I was in the same bar in 14 for the whole cup. Lost my mind when Green scored and lost it again when Wondo missed. Lot of good memories at that BWW. The GM was friends with a few guys on my Over 30 team, so he would open up for early Premier League games and make breakfast/run the taps for 6am starts.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I was in the same bar in 14 for the whole cup. Lost my mind when Green scored and lost it again when Wondo missed. Lot of good memories at that BWW. The GM was friends with a few guys on my Over 30 team, so he would open up for early Premier League games and make breakfast/run the taps for 6am starts.
I have a friend who owns a bar on Franklin St in Chapel Hill, but they're never open that early. We talked about creating an Outlaws bar there, but then a chef in Durham who owned a few restaurants created the Durham chapter at his restaurant. One of my group of friends would get to the restaurant like an hour or two before kickoff to snag a booth, otherwise it was standing room only. The last match I watched there was the USA-Trinidad & Tobago match. The new place connects to a beer shop/bar so it should have a good amount of space. If only it had stayed warm...

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have a friend who owns a bar on Franklin St in Chapel Hill, but they're never open that early. We talked about creating an Outlaws bar there, but then a chef in Durham who owned a few restaurants created the Durham chapter at his restaurant. One of my group of friends would get to the restaurant like an hour or two before kickoff to snag a booth, otherwise it was standing room only. The last match I watched there was the USA-Trinidad & Tobago match. The new place connects to a beer shop/bar so it should have a good amount of space. If only it had stayed warm...
I do wish there was chapter closer than Durham. 30 min each way is a bit much and getting an Uber out here is rough. It’s why I built my own bar :). Driving over to Aviator in FV to grab a keg tomorrow morning. Should be set to go!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I do wish there was chapter closer than Durham. 30 min each way is a bit much and getting an Uber out here is rough. It’s why I built my own bar :). Driving over to Aviator in FV to grab a keg tomorrow morning. Should be set to go!
Yeah, technically the Raleigh one is closest to me, but I work in Durham and live in Durham in my heart (or will if I can ever by a damn house). I'm not sure if there are enough people in CH to make a chapter or if the transient population of students would make it difficult. There are tons of bars to have it at though. Still further than your own house though. :lol:

bosskeano

Where was Gio Reyna tonight?
honestly i think it was a knock on effect given his injury issues as i'm 100% sure he was/is going to start agaisnt England but could he play against Wales and recover in time to play on Friday? What risk would have been taken to bring him on late once they scored?

Weah said it post match....we let up too much and Wales stepped up their game. That shows a bit of naivety from the younger players and probably a bit of over confidence going into HT considering how much a stroll in the park it was first half

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
honestly i think it was a knock on effect given his injury issues as i'm 100% sure he was/is going to start agaisnt England but could he play against Wales and recover in time to play on Friday? What risk would have been taken to bring him on late once they scored?

Weah said it post match....we let up too much and Wales stepped up their game. That shows a bit of naivety from the younger players and probably a bit of over confidence going into HT considering how much a stroll in the park it was first half
Totally agree, and that is 100% on the coaching staff. It is their job, especially with such a young and inexperienced team, to keep them focused. GB failed at this and in a panic fell back on the usual “derrrr… MLS guys have heart, must play MLS guys.” Honestly, I am truly shocked Roldon didn’t get brought on.