US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@WI_Red, since we were talking about him here, an update on Chris Richards.

Yesterday, he has gone out on loan to Hoffenheim for the rest of the season, after basically having had no appearances for the first team in the last couple of months.
Hoffenheim's coach since this season of course is Sebastian Hoeneß (Uli's nephew), who was the coach of our second team that won the 3rd division last season with Richards as key player.
Statement on the loan by our DoF:
https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2021/02/richards-loaned-to-hoffenheim

As opposed to Zirkzee, our young Dutch striker who left on loan as well and who has had an option to buy inserted in his loan contract at Parma, there is no option with Richards, as CEO Rummenigge confirmed in a video interview. Rummenigge said that Richards will definitively return in summer as the club thinks he has the 'potential to establish himself as part of the first team squad in the medium term'.
https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...rummenigge-zu-zirkzee-richards/12205602/34826

Bottom line, there's a good chance Richards will see some decent Bundesliga minutes in the remainder of the season.
Thank you for the update, I did see that and was wondering if he would be getting game time. It would be amazing if he could develop over the next few years as a partner for Brooks is one of the must haves for 2022.

If you dont mind indulging me, what are the opinions on Brooks in Germany? The US has always had bruisers as central defenders, so having someone who is good on the ball and a good defender (for an American) has been great to have.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If you dont mind indulging me, what are the opinions on Brooks in Germany? The US has always had bruisers as central defenders, so having someone who is good on the ball and a good defender (for an American) has been great to have.
Honestly, I couldn't really tell you as I mostly watch our (Bayern's) games and don't see too many other full Bundesliga games to have a good opinion, you'd have to ask other Bundesliga posters to get a better answer (just pose the question in the German football thread?).
As far as I can tell, Brooks is well regarded, and also Wolfsburg's defensive record is very good this season; they're 3rd in the league right now with the second least goals conceded.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
US players on the move as the window closed.

Che to Bayern - yet another FC Dallas Academy product on the move.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...r-che-headed-to-bayern-munich-on-loan-sources

Reynolds to Roma - cue broken record, another FC Dallas Academy product.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...r-reynolds-joins-roma-from-mls-side-fc-dallas

Yedlin to Gala
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...ender-yedlin-joins-galatasaray-from-newcastle

US looked good against Trinidad but not much stock shall I put into this performance other than the debutantes/youngsters looked good. Trinidad FA is experiencing an internal civil war and hasn't played in a competitive match in months due to COVID and a FIFA suspension.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=592927
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/09/25/fifa-suspends-trinidad-tobago-federation-ttfa

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
US players on the move as the window closed.

Che to Bayern - yet another FC Dallas Academy product on the move.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...r-che-headed-to-bayern-munich-on-loan-sources

Reynolds to Roma - cue broken record, another FC Dallas Academy product.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...r-reynolds-joins-roma-from-mls-side-fc-dallas

Yedlin to Gala
https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...ender-yedlin-joins-galatasaray-from-newcastle

US looked good against Trinidad but not much stock shall I put into this performance other than the debutantes/youngsters looked good. Trinidad FA is experiencing an internal civil war and hasn't played in a competitive match in months due to COVID and a FIFA suspension.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=592927
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/09/25/fifa-suspends-trinidad-tobago-federation-ttfa

Agree about the T&T game, but a couple of observations nonetheless:

1. A generation ago we win this game 2 or 3 to zero. Love seeing that we finally have some depth and ruthlessness
2. Really impressed by Vines. Could we finally have found our LB so that Dest can stay on the right?
3. Speaking of Dallas, Ferreira looked really good at forward. Great movement and vision.
4. Miles Robinson looked as good as usual. Might he be in play to slot in next to Brooks?
- as an aside, Gregg likes playing a high line, so having 2 pacey CB's would be a bonus

The current glaring weak spots for the US are LB, right CB, and forward. If Vines can grab the LB spot that would be great. I still have a soft spot for Bello (Atl Utd glasses and all), so hopefully he gets a run in the Olympics as he is quite young.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thank you for the update, I did see that and was wondering if he would be getting game time. It would be amazing if he could develop over the next few years as a partner for Brooks is one of the must haves for 2022.

He was quite highly rated while at Hertha. Maybe with the potential to join a club like Leverkusen or Dortmund. But then he moved to Wolfsburg and as far as I know had some up and downs there and now there isn't really any talk about him anymore. His contract is down to 12 months in the summer, maybe Gladbach will take a look at him now, given they face the same problem with both Ginter's and Elvedi's contract.

Luke1995

It would help if the MLS could attract world class players in their prime instead of when they are at the end of their careers. But to do that, the clubs would have to take the money they put into their youth systems and put in in these world class player's contracts. It seems very difficult to get the world's top players and keep developing the youth systems at the same time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It would help if the MLS could attract world class players in their prime instead of when they are at the end of their careers. But to do that, the clubs would have to take the money they put into their youth systems and put in in these world class player's contracts. It seems very difficult to get the world's top players and keep developing the youth systems at the same time.
I actually love the direction MLS is going. The money being put into the academy system is paying huge dividends for the US team. Weston, Adams, Reyna, etc. are all products of MLS academies. Forget the WC players, the US needs to embrace the status they have, which is a second tier league. If they focus on player development they, and the national team, will reap the rewards.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Here in the U.S every soccer fan has their take on what would improve the MLS. Here's mine: focus on increasing viewership. One way or another, we need to get people glued to their tv screens and form an emotional attachment with their team.

I think the franchise model really halts that. I have no reason to go support Carolina's team. We can win all our games and be in the same crappy division.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Here in the U.S every soccer fan has their take on what would improve the MLS. Here's mine: focus on increasing viewership. One way or another, we need to get people glued to their tv screens and form an emotional attachment with their team.

I think the franchise model really halts that. I have no reason to go support Carolina's team. We can win all our games and be in the same crappy division.
i don’t know if I agree. I loved going to Atlanta United games, and I would challenge any teams fans in any sport in the US to claim to provide a better experience. I also patronized Birmingham Legion and Madison Forward games. Are they the same experience? Of course not, but I loved watching and supporting my local teams. Promotion/relegation is not coming any time soon, if ever, so if we want a vibrant, local experience we need to support those teams.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
i don’t know if I agree. I loved going to Atlanta United games, and I would challenge any teams fans in any sport in the US to claim to provide a better experience. I also patronized Birmingham Legion and Madison Forward games. Are they the same experience? Of course not, but I loved watching and supporting my local teams. Promotion/relegation is not coming any time soon, if ever, so if we want a vibrant, local experience we need to support those teams.
Yeah man that's what's unfair about the MLS system. Some of you have it really good. I've been to DC United games and the atmosphere is incredible. But for your Atlanta's and DC's we also have a bunch of clubs and potential goldmines that are rotting away in lower divisions.

Imagine relegation and promotion playoffs where little clubs get the chance to play a big team and make it to the big stage. Wouldn't that be cool? I am not ignorant to our size but there could be some variation to of it.

Anyway, maybe I'm bitter about Raleigh area not having a club that can potentially play in the MLS because we have a ton of fans here, a new 25k seater stadium and a bunch of money but we're not "big enough" for the MLS -- well give us a reason to grow dammit!

I get supporting a club but I want reason to believe my club can do better. Not, my club getting to the big stage depends on the economy of my home town.

Luke1995

I actually love the direction MLS is going. The money being put into the academy system is paying huge dividends for the US team. Weston, Adams, Reyna, etc. are all products of MLS academies. Forget the WC players, the US needs to embrace the status they have, which is a second tier league. If they focus on player development they, and the national team, will reap the rewards.
The country has definitely produced a few great players over the years. Donovan obviously, but also Clint Dempsey, Altidore, Friedel, Howard, Brian Mcbride...

Every now and then these great players will come up. The big question, like you said, is focus on player development on a consistent basis. But these last few years MLS has really focused on bringing the Ibras, the Gerrards and Lampards.

It's really a matter of development VS bringing the big names equaling to more viewers and money for the league.

Luke1995

I agree, but it seems to me that from a very young age, people are motivated to follow baseball, basketball and football more than soccer. There is not yet a big soccer culture. That makes the emotional attachment harder to get.

I think the idea with bringing Beckham in back in the day was to create that culture but it seems like he wasn't a big enough star for that to happen all by himself.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The country has definitely produced a few great players over the years. Donovan obviously, but also Clint Dempsey, Altidore, Friedel, Howard, Brian Mcbride...

Every now and then these great players will come up. The big question, like you said, is focus on player development on a consistent basis. But these last few years MLS has really focused on bringing the Ibras, the Gerrards and Lampards.

It's really a matter of development VS bringing the big names equaling to more viewers and money for the league.
I can't judge whether it's a lucky patch or a sign of sustainable improvement, but the young generation absolutely shits on most, if not all, of the players you have named. Like Landon Donovan spent six years at German top clubs and even Reyna (arguably even Hoppe) has already far eclipsed anything he has ever done here.
Hailing these players as Legends always kind of personified the meme status of US football on the big stage. The current generation however has several players who could have genuinely great careers.

SER19

What sort of line up would they be looking at in 2022? And those more in the know, what would be a realistic aim

NYAS

What sort of line up would they be looking at in 2022? And those more in the know, what would be a realistic aim
I’m guessing something like:

Steffen
Dest Richards Brooks Robinson
Adams McKennie
Aaronson Reyna Pulisic
Weah

Sargent, Morris, Boyd, etc. might be there or thereabouts.

Disclaimer: I’m just using a hypothetical 4-2-3-1 and placing the potential best players in each position. USMNT head coaches have historically not been so straightforward about it.

Americans might give a clearer picture but thought it would be a fun exercise.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Based on the current player pool (and barring injuries) I think 7 players are locks:

GK: Steffen
RB: Dest
LCB: Brooks
DM: Adams
CM: McKinnie
RW/AM: Reyna
LW: Pulisic

The remaining slots are completely up for grabs:

LB: Robinson and Vines seem to be the leading candidates
RCB: Long is the incumbent, but hopefully Richards can take a huge leap by 2022 to make a play for the role.
CF: Who the hell knows. I guess Sergeant? Hoppe needs to do more to prove this is real. Soto just went back to Norwich so maybe he gets game time. Not sure how Gioacchini is doing in France. Ferreira looked great but plays MF for his club.

the final midfield role depends on how Berhalter sets up the team. It's probably Yueill if he goes with 2 DM's, with Weston pushing up and Reyna going wide. If he wants Reyna in the middle then it's like Morris on the wing.

As for realistic goals? I think getting to and maybe winning (depending on the opponent) the first knockout round is realistic. Best case scenario is getting to a QF. This team is way more talented then that 02 team that made the QF's (and was cheated by Germany :) ).

SER19

I’m guessing something like:

Steffen
Dest Richards Brooks Robinson
Adams McKennie
Aaronson Reyna Pulisic
Weah

Sargent, Morris, Boyd, etc. might be there or thereabouts.

Disclaimer: I’m just using a hypothetical 4-2-3-1 and placing the potential best players in each position. USMNT head coaches have historically not been so straightforward about it.

Americans might give a clearer picture but thought it would be a fun exercise.
Would be an exciting youthful team. Realistically though, getting to knockouts would be good.

SER19

Based on the current player pool (and barring injuries) I think 7 players are locks:

RCB: Long is the incumbent, but hopefully Richards can take a huge leap by 2022 to make a play for the role.
CF: Who the hell knows. I guess Sergeant? Hoppe needs to do more to prove this is real. Soto just went back to Norwich so maybe he gets game time. Not sure how Gioacchini is doing in France. Ferreira looked great but plays MF for his club.

the final midfield role depends on how Berhalter sets up the team. It's probably Yueill if he goes with 2 DM's, with Weston pushing up and Reyna going wide. If he wants Reyna in the middle then it's like Morris on the wing.

As for realistic goals? I think getting to and maybe winning (depending on the opponent) the first knockout round is realistic. Best case scenario is getting to a QF. This team is way more talented then that 02 team that made the 02 QF's (and was cheated by Germany :) ).
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing them but worried the hopes are getting too high

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

As for realistic goals? I think getting to and maybe winning (depending on the opponent) the first knockout round is realistic. Best case scenario is getting to a QF. This team is way more talented then that 02 team that made the QF's (and was cheated by Germany :) ).
Don't forget about Ayo Akinola. If he continues to do well and/or gets a move to Europe, he could be in contention for the U.S. team (though I really hope that he picks Canada instead).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Don't forget about Ayo Akinola. If he continues to do well and/or gets a move to Europe, he could be in contention for the U.S. team (though I really hope that he picks Canada instead).
I kind of figured he was gone. The other striker I missed, and who I really liked what I saw from him in Orlando, is Daryl Dike. I am looking forward to seeing how he does at Barnsley while on loan.

sport2793

I can't judge whether it's a lucky patch or a sign of sustainable improvement, but the young generation absolutely shits on most, if not all, of the players you have named. Like Landon Donovan spent six years at German top clubs and even Reyna (arguably even Hoppe) has already far eclipsed anything he has ever done here.
Hailing these players as Legends always kind of personified the meme status of US football on the big stage. The current generation however has several players who could have genuinely great careers.
Yep that's why I choose to be cautiously and quietly optimistic, knowing that the results on the pitch will speak for themselves when it is all said and done. Can't wait to not have to listen to the likes of Donovan dumping on the current setup ever again.

sport2793

If Musah chooses the US I would play him in a 3 with Adams and Mckennie. Reyna, Pulisic and a striker for the front 3. Dest, Brooks, Robinson, and Richards or MacKenzie with Steffen. No need to complicate the lineup, start players who play regularly and preferably in the Champions League.

Summer of 2022 is a season and a half a way so lots of time for players to develop.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If Musah chooses the US I would play him in a 3 with Adams and Mckennie. Reyna, Pulisic and a striker for the front 3. Dest, Brooks, Robinson, and Richards or MacKenzie with Steffen. No need to complicate the lineup, start players who play regularly and preferably in the Champions League.

Summer of 2022 is a season and a half a way so lots of time for players to develop.
I didn’t forget Musah, just trying to not get my hopes up :wenger:.

otherwise I completely agree with your post with the exception of LB. I have been really impressed with Vines in both MLSand NT games. I’m not saying he is going to surpass Robinson, but his improvement has been awesome. I also really with Reynolds was a LB.....

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Probably not feasible but I wouldn't mind seeing each state have an academy setup ala IMG Academy. Funding would be a big issue though. And some states probably do not require as they have an MLS club or two or three to cover the region. But that was a good point about the geography problem. I guess the other way is to incentivize youth development by permitting youth clubs to receive fees when a player moves on. MLS and USSF have blocked such proposals.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Probably not feasible but I wouldn't mind seeing each state have an academy setup ala IMG Academy. Funding would be a big issue though. And some states probably do not require as they have an MLS club or two or three to cover the region. But that was a good point about the geography problem. I guess the other way is to incentivize youth development by permitting youth clubs to receive fees when a player moves on. MLS and USSF have blocked such proposals.
I don't think we need academies in each state. What is needed is exactly what you finished with, which is the solidarity payments. Both Richards and Tessman were identified and moved from Birmingham to FC Dallas (I am guessing they both played for Birmingham United, the best youth team in the state). This has a lot to do with how well FC Dallas does at identifying and tracking youth prospects in their area. hat being said, I bet Birmingham Utd saw not a penny from the moves, even though they trained them up to a YNT level (both were in the pipeline before they moved to FCD).

Luke1995

I followed more the generation from the 2000's though. Will have to catch up to the new guys.

Isn't the 2026 World Cup expected to be in the U.S though ? Maybe that would be a great platform for that generation to show the improvement.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I followed more the generation from the 2000's though. Will have to catch up to the new guys.

Isn't the 2026 World Cup expected to be in the U.S though ? Maybe that would be a great platform for that generation to show the improvement.
The current young stars: Dest, Pulisic, Reyna, McKinnie, Adams, Musah (please please please) should all be in their primes (26-29) in 2026, plus the current crop of U-20's will be 23/24, so just entering their prime. If the US is going to make a splash at a WC it is going to be in 26 or never.

Luke1995

The current young stars: Dest, Pulisic, Reyna, McKinnie, Adams, Musah (please please please) should all be in their primes (26-29) in 2026, plus the current crop of U-20's will be 23/24, so just entering their prime. If the US is going to make a splash at a WC it is going to be in 26 or never.
Thank you for the information. I will take a look at their games.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yunus musah has decided to play for United sates ahead of England, Italy and Ghana.

Out of that list, the US would have been my 3rd maybe even 4th choice.

sport2793

Yunus musah has decided to play for United sates ahead of England, Italy and Ghana.

Out of that list, the US would have been my 3rd maybe even 4th choice.
I would argue that the US currently has better youth prospects than Italy or Ghana. It makes a lot of sense for Musah to grow with the other players in his age group to build towards 4 or 8 years from now.

EDIT: I should clarify when I say youth prospects I actually meant established European CL club starting XI players. Does that make a difference?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Also to add:

GB must be a great salesman as that is 2 shocks now with Musah and Dest.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I would argue that the US currently has better youth prospects than Italy or Ghana. It makes a lot of sense for Musah to grow with the other players in his age group to build towards 4 or 8 years from now.

EDIT: I should clarify when I say youth prospects I actually meant established European CL club starting XI players. Does that make a difference?
Perhaps. How well do the US tend to do in the gold cup?

Good thing Musah has better judgment than you ;)
Touch a nerve?

sport2793

2022 WC might be a little early, but by 2026 and 2030 we'll be peaking. GB is my biggest concern.
My dream would be Pep for multiple reasons. It's obviously long shot right now but he has expressed interest in managing the US before and with those players in their prime in 2026, he could see it as a good opportunity to take a break from club football since it always seems like he needs one after a while.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
On reflection, this has been a great month so far for the National Team. 3 of the 4 up for grabs positions in my mind are now much more settled.

LB:?????
CB: Brooks
CB: Richards: He has looked rock solid the few times I have been able to catch Hoffenheim
CM: Musah :)
CM: McKinne
RW: Reyna
CF: Sargeant: He is on a bit of a scoring run now and has looked good doing it.

I guess that GB can move Dest to LB and play Cannon at RB, but for me that removes one of our best players from his best position. The best part is that in the above set up, only Brooks is over 22 (well Steffen is 25, but that's like 19 in GK years).

sport2793

On reflection, this has been a great month so far for the National Team. 3 of the 4 up for grabs positions in my mind are now much more settled.

LB:?????
CB: Brooks
CB: Richards: He has looked rock solid the few times I have been able to catch Hoffenheim
CM: Musah :)
CM: McKinne
RW: Reyna
CF: Sargeant: He is on a bit of a scoring run now and has looked good doing it.

I guess that GB can move Dest to LB and play Cannon at RB, but for me that removes one of our best players from his best position. The best part is that in the above set up, only Brooks is over 22 (well Steffen is 25, but that's like 19 in GK years).
There should hopefully also be some depth in behind these players too so overall, things are lining up nicely for the US. At minimum I would expect this group to put Mexico to the sword a few times hopefully but would be nice to see a long WC run in 26 or 30.