US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Pepi played like an 18 year old. Aside from two bad ref calls, not much going on.
He is but there has been no service. Jamaica has set up a really low block and are daring the US to break it down. Same thing Canada did and GB has proven incapable of setting a team up to break it down. Need Weah on to provide some width. Playing really narrow and counting on the FB’s to provide all the width.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Adams would be the perfect signing for Utd. So good as a solo 6. So fecking good.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This is a much better way to start qualifying this time around.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Honduras vs Costa Rica ay 0-0. Ending that way would be nice.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Excellent overall. Can’t think of a player that was below a 6/10.

Pepi’s movement is so good.

Adams is the best US player right now and maybe the best ever. I am blown away when I see him play. He controls the midfield in a way no one has since maybe papa Reyna??

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
My only concern is please do not become another Eddie Johnson. I've seen this before - young player scoring multiple goals in a WCQ with great movement.

Last edited:

bosskeano

Zimmerman has been excellent.
he was really good tonight until the last couple of minutes where he switched off and let the forward in behind who should have scored...his lack of pace is a massive issue as is his lack of technical ability when building out of the back. He's a great guy in person and he's a decent CB but at the top international level i have my doubts. The CB position right now is the only position in question going forward for the USMNT.

you look at the age of this US team right now

pulisic, reyna, pepi, aarsonson, weston, weah, adams, munsah, dest, robinson(x2), zimmerman, turner, sargent, richards, hoppe, busio, de la fuente, sands...that's a really good group of very young players who could be the core of the squad for the next couple of world cups as most of these guys are under the age of 23.

I really like the mixture of weston, munsah and adams in the midfield. You have the calm presence of Weston, Munsah is the work horse and Adams positional play is absolute class. It gives you the ability to play Gio out wide if you wanted with Pulisic and Pepi or Gio at the 10 with Aaronson and CP out wide with Pepi up top. His emergence hopefully sees the end of Zardes ffs.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
he was really good tonight until the last couple of minutes where he switched off and let the forward in behind who should have scored...his lack of pace is a massive issue as is his lack of technical ability when building out of the back. He's a great guy in person and he's a decent CB but at the top international level i have my doubts. The CB position right now is the only position in question going forward for the USMNT.

pulisic, reyna, pepi, aarsonson, weston, weah, adams, munsah, dest, robinson(x2), zimmerman, turner, sargent, richards, hoppe, busio, de la fuente, sands...that's a really good group of very young players who could be the core of the squad for the next couple of world cups as most of these guys are under the age of 23.

I really like the mixture of weston, munsah and adams in the midfield. You have the calm presence of Weston, Munsah is the work horse and Adams positional play is absolute class. It gives you the ability to play Gio out wide if you wanted with Pulisic and Pepi or Gio at the 10 with Aaronson and CP out wide with Pepi up top. His emergence hopefully sees the end of Zardes ffs.
I think Zimmerman was a great call (and if you've read my posts this might be my first praise) by GB last night. Nicholson is a beast to play against and Zimmerman was the perfect foil. Not sure if Richards or McKenzie have the physical presence, especially in the air, to contain what he does.

There is a lot of talent available, but I am still really concerned that we do not have the coach to maximize the potential of the squad. The first half was a real struggle and what saved us was the quick goal that was down to the individual work of Musah and Dest. After that Jamaica changed their shape and things opened up.

The best XI lineup is pretty set in my mind now (locks in bold)

GK: Turner
RB: Dest
CB: M. Robinson

CB: Brooks/Richards/Zimmerman
LB: A. Robinson
DM: Adams (C)
CM: Musah
CM: McKennie
RW: Reyna
LW: Pulisic
CF: Pepi

First of the bench: Aaronson, Weah, Llegett

That midfield should dominate all of CONCACAF except for Mexico, and that should be an even battle. My concern is twofold:

1) GB tends to turn into a coward in difficult games, so I could see him going with 2 DM's (Acosta/Adams) and Zardes up top to drop and help defend.
2) Up against a low block his tactics are Ole-esque, as in he has none and hope for individual moments of brilliance.

I would love to have a progressive, pressing coach as I think that matches the skills of our best players. It is how all of them I think play at their clubs.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Last night was the first time in a long time I looked at the line up and it made sense. I do not doubt we will see them out of position again for absolutely no reason just based on who writes down the starting XI.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Last night was the first time in a long time I looked at the line up and it made sense. I do not doubt we will see them out of position again for absolutely no reason just based on who writes down the starting XI.
Absolutely agree. I fully expect a hot mess of a lineup for the Panama game.

bosskeano

Absolutely agree. I fully expect a hot mess of a lineup for the Panama game.
I suspect with 3 matches in 9 days along with traveling to and from Panama, you'll see a bit more of the experienced players in this match. Brooks, Lleget, Roldan will probably start the match.

I just hope he doesn't go too conservative and still tries to play that attacking style where they are constantly trying to play behind the back line of the defense.

Me thinks he's been watching Klopp with how narrow the front 3 play

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I suspect with 3 matches in 9 days along with traveling to and from Panama, you'll see a bit more of the experienced players in this match. Brooks, Lleget, Roldan will probably start the match.

I just hope he doesn't go too conservative and still tries to play that attacking style where they are constantly trying to play behind the back line of the defense.

Me thinks he's been watching Klopp with how narrow the front 3 play
Brooks withdrew due to injury. Zimmerman, ironically, was his replacement.

I am expecting we see a bunch of changes (both FB's, Acosta, Lleget for sure). Based on who got pulled early I am thinking Pepi and Aaronson are still starting though.

bosskeano

i think Dest for sure will be replaced but i'd leave Antonnee on the left hand side as i think Bello isn't ready for that type of test. Lleget will definitely come in but i'm not a fan of Acosta whatsoever.

We're in very good shape leading the WCQ group right now so you put your strongest XI against Panama that are fully fit and go for the 3 points but at least come away with a point.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i think Dest for sure will be replaced but i'd leave Antonnee on the left hand side as i think Bello isn't ready for that type of test. Lleget will definitely come in but i'm not a fan of Acosta whatsoever.

We're in very good shape leading the WCQ group right now so you put your strongest XI against Panama that are fully fit and go for the 3 points but at least come away with a point.
7 changes and a whole bunch of MLS guys now in. He’s going to get some heavy criticism (rightly so) if this is not a win.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

You're the next Belgium, get used to it.

Think 2022 might be a bit too early to make significant mark on world cup with average coach and not finding best formation for all those above.

However huge huge potential for 2026 and imagine the coverage it would get if US made semi finals or something.

This is where though you need to find your Hiddink type coach as South Korea did in 2002 and seems no one at your federation really has that vision looking at what I read in this thread. Perhaps reluctant after what happened with Klinsmann a decade ago but I dunno it should be attractive job with talent pool available.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The sooner we stop playing MLS guys the sooner we actually start playing well

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We are getting dominated by Panama. Panama. Again, Panama. I am so so Berhslter out.

edit: this is just painful. The MLS guys have been anonymous at best and liabilities at worst. Insanity by GB

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
fecking Acosta. I swear GB and US Soccers, obsession with pushing MLS players on the national team will be our undoing.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
he is the only MLS guy who belongs in this starting lineup. This has been yet another GB abomination
the announcers are saying we are struggling because we are on the road…. Such BS

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
the announcers are saying we are struggling because we are on the road…. Such BS
Being on the road has not made Acosta unable to control a ball or Zardes do anything useful. They likely can’t do anything good when playing FIFA on easy, let alone at home.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
One of the first replies when the starting lineup was posted by USMNT

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
One of the first replies when the starting lineup was posted by USMNT

I 100% guarantee you that US soccer sees the fact that 7 of the starters are MLS guys, and 2 others got their start in MLS, as a huge positive. They are wrong.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If GB does not make 2-3 changes at HT I am done with him!!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is a fireable offense regardless of how the next 40 minutes play out.

edit: and as I hit submit Panama scores. Or should I say that Zardes score for Panama. Best bit of offensive play Zardes has had today.