US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
5 substitutions is not enough to fix the abortion that was his starting lineup, but instead of fixing it he brings on Roldan and Yedlin. I’m done with him, don’t care how this turns out. Incompetent piece of nepotistic garbage who should have been aborted by his parents.

spottieottiedopaliscious

Embarrassing. Not one player has given 100%. Just jogging around like they’ve already qualified. This game was a disaster from the start. Why we aren’t playing our strongest 11 is beyond me. Absolutely frustrating to watch especially when our players looked like they couldn’t be bothered I really don’t think anything has changed since our last go.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Embarrassing. Not one player has given 100%. Just jogging around like they’ve already qualified. This game was a disaster from the start. Why we aren’t playing our strongest 11 is beyond me. Absolutely frustrating to watch especially when our players looked like they couldn’t be bothered I really don’t think anything has changed since our last go.
He started 7 MLS guys. 7. Seven.

Fire Him Now.

spottieottiedopaliscious

He started 7 MLS guys. 7. Seven.

Fire Him Now.
I just don’t get how you don’t have Miles Robinson, Tyler Adams, Aaronson, Pepi starting. If you want to experiment do it in the gold cup and in other internationals matches that don’t matter. This is trying qualify for a tournament that is the sole reason we have national teams. Even if we do qualify, he probably pull this in the group stage thinking he some mastermind. Uhhh so frustrated and mad.

edit:
Adding on to my somewhat rant. If you do change the line up that much make sure it’s players who are prepared and ready for it. I’m watching the post match and Dempsey and co said it, not one of his changes was impactful. It’s one of the many things that made Sir Alex so great. He could put a completely changed line up out but he had everyone of those players ready to go and eager to prove themselves.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
In the last game he took off Aaronson early and left Ariola on for 90, so naturally he started Ariola and benched Aaronson. He is a bad coach. Bad. He 100% thinks that because someone plays in MLS they must be “gritty” and therefore should start away. He is an idiot.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Dire. I don't understand why he didn't start Adams, Aaronson, Pepi, and Robinson. If they get tired, sub them off, but at least you start with your strongest lineup.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Euros like to claim we are not a footballing nation and I used to get angry. Not anymore because they are right. No serious footballing nation would keep on their coach after the performances in these first 5 games.

bosskeano

i don't think it's the issue of starting guys in the MLS....the issue is the guys who are starting that didn't put in the work like and play with the same level of intensity and work rate you saw against Jamaica

no chance you can play close to the same guys 3 times over 9 days so there was going to be squad rotation...IMO, this is their opportunity to show they belong in the squad and some of them were just shit and blew their chances.

acosta, arriola, zardes, lleget.....these guys don't deserve to make the WC squad if we qualify based on what they did last night alone.

can't blame the likes of bello, mckenzie, shaq moore as defensively it wasn't the issue although i think mckenzie sucks balls.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i don't think it's the issue of starting guys in the MLS....the issue is the guys who are starting that didn't put in the work like and play with the same level of intensity and work rate you saw against Jamaica

no chance you can play close to the same guys 3 times over 9 days so there was going to be squad rotation...IMO, this is their opportunity to show they belong in the squad and some of them were just shit and blew their chances.
I don't even think the first half against Jamaica was that great. In 5 games the US has played 2 good halves (2nd vs. Honduras and 2nd vs. Jamaica). That consistent level of shit play is not down to just intensity and work rate, it is down to coaching ineptitude that makes Jurgen look like Pep. The fact remains that Berhalter was a .500 MLS coach who never won a damn thing and only got the job because his brother was doing the hiring.

His substitutions last night were so bad I don't even know where to begin. Not just who came on/off, but what happened to our play as a result of those changes. He has no idea what he is doing. I would take Jurgen Back. Hell I would take Arena back.

bosskeano

I don't even think the first half against Jamaica was that great. In 5 games the US has played 2 good halves (2nd vs. Honduras and 2nd vs. Jamaica). That consistent level of shit play is not down to just intensity and work rate, it is down to coaching ineptitude that makes Jurgen look like Pep. The fact remains that Berhalter was a .500 MLS coach who never won a damn thing and only got the job because his brother was doing the hiring.

His substitutions last night were so bad I don't even know where to begin. Not just who came on/off, but what happened to our play as a result of those changes. He has no idea what he is doing. I would take Jurgen Back. Hell I would take Arena back.

wooo....not sure i'd go quite that far but yes Berhalter is out of his depth and he's over thinking things IMO simply due to his inexperience. Should have played the stronger team on the road to earn a point at least and mix the talent level at home where you have the backing of the home fans to push you when you are tired or struggling.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
wooo....not sure i'd go quite that far but yes Berhalter is out of his depth and he's over thinking things IMO simply due to his inexperience. Should have played the stronger team on the road to earn a point at least and mix the talent level at home where you have the backing of the home fans to push you when you are tired or struggling.
Last night was worse than Couva, as the US was not outplayed badly in T&T. Hell, both goals T&T scored were complete flukes while Panama was the far better team last night. Last night was a demonstration of what happens when a coach mixes arrogance with an audacious lack of skill. We are halfway through qualifying and he is still tinkering with formations and lineups. He still leans on his "experienced" MLS guys on the road, as if being old and playing in an inferior league makes one more capable of performing on the road. It's the same thing Arena did, but at least Arena had a consistent, albeit very basic, game plan. The players now look confused about their roles in addition to being unable to fill them.

Our midfield was an abomination in the first half. The midfield featured one guy (Acosta) who could not trap or pass a ball, one guy (Musah) who did some positive things and some bad, and one guy (Lleget) who was in the witness protection program. So of course GB takes of the one positive(ish) looking guy for Adams and pushes the worst player on the field into a playmaking role. Meanwhile he has 2 guys on the bench (LDT and Busio) who excel at either playmaking from the back or advancing the ball. But they are young and Euro based, so not gritty enough. Same with Hoppe.

This is a talented team being held back by an arrogant and overmatched coach who consistently gets less out of his players than any US Manager in my memory.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Really glad Berhalter rotated out the best shot stopping GK we have. Oh wait, we just conceded a first minute goal. Turner saves that. Fire him at half time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Unreal stat of the day. The oldest player for the US is younger than the youngest player for Costa Rica. Unfortunately that is Steffens who should be nowhere near starting, but Berhalter gonna Berhalter.

EtH

Hypothetically right now. Unfortunately they are being managed by someone from the aluminum generation.
Who are these golden generation players ? I am genuinely interested. Pulisic and McKinnie are quality players but I’m not even sure they’re on the level of Bradley, Dempsey or Donovan. Perhaps they will be though.

sport2793

Who are these golden generation players ? I am genuinely interested. Pulisic and McKinnie are quality players but I’m not even sure they’re on the level of Bradley, Dempsey or Donovan. Perhaps they will be though.
Michael Bradley is bang average relative to McKennie, I've watched both extensively for club (especially when the former was at Roma) and country. If Pulisic didn't get injured so often he would comfortably be on his way to surpassing the others. Of course it would take multiple seasons for Pulisic to establish that officially of course but in terms of ability and desire I would take him over Donovan at least.

The likes of Dest, Gio Reyna and others are also far superior to what was found previously.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1. Adams is the best player the US has ever produced in my opinion . He is the Bundesliga Kante and my dream signing for Utd.

2. Dest is starting as Barca’s right back. In contention already with Dolo as our best RB ever.

3. Gio Reyna could overtake Adam’s in the next year. Started at Dortmund as an 18 year old.

4. Richards/Weah/Musah/Aaronson/Robinson(x2)/Richards are all under 23 and all have the potential to be amongst the best we have ever produced at their position.

sport2793

1. Adams is the best player the US has ever produced in my opinion . He is the Bundesliga Kante and my dream signing for Utd.

2. Dest is starting as Barca’s right back. In contention already with Dolo as our best RB ever.

3. Gio Reyna could overtake Adam’s in the next year. Started at Dortmund as an 18 year old.

4. Richards/Weah/Musah/Aaronson/Robinson(x2)/Richards are all under 23 and all have the potential to be amongst the best we have ever produced at their position.
Ya I've really liked the midfield 3 today, they should be the first 3 names on the team sheet. All 3 cover so much ground and McKennie and Musah function well as 8s. It's nice to have some depth on the wings finally also with both Reyna and Pulisic being absent.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ya I've really liked the midfield 3 today, they should be the first 3 names on the team sheet. All 3 cover so much ground and McKennie and Musah function well as 8s. It's nice to have some depth on the wings finally also with both Reyna and Pulisic being absent.
Berhalter got 10/11 right, but because he is a fecking idiot he swapped in Steffen for Turner which led to the goal because Steffen is just not good and never, ever, plays for city.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We look so much better on the pitch than CR and yet 1-1. We may open this up in the second half but at some point we have to start waking up in the first half.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Unless Turner is injured, whytf is he nit on the pitch? We dont need to rotate goalies ffs!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We look so much better on the pitch than CR and yet 1-1. We may open this up in the second half but at some point we have to start waking up in the first half.
agreed. That goal, for me, is on Steffens. Starting with the header and moving to his non save of the shot. Turner does not allow that goal.

sport2793

Berhalter got 10/11 right, but because he is a fecking idiot he swapped in Steffen for Turner which led to the goal because Steffen is just not good and never, ever, plays for city.
Ya can't stand Berhalter as stated previously but it may not matter in terms of qualifying if this group + Reyna/Pulisic play together more over time, the talent is that good.

sport2793

agreed. That goal, for me, is on Steffens. Starting with the header and moving to his non save of the shot. Turner does not allow that goal.
I honestly think if that happened in the PL VAR would have overturned it. There was an offside player that obstructed Steffen's view.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is the best half we’ve played in years. That midfield is one of dreams so far.

EtH

Michael Bradley is bang average relative to McKennie, I've watched both extensively for club (especially when the former was at Roma) and country. If Pulisic didn't get injured so often he would comfortably be on his way to surpassing the others. Of course it would take multiple seasons for Pulisic to establish that officially of course but in terms of ability and desire I would take him over Donovan at least.

The likes of Dest, Gio Reyna and others are also far superior to what was found previously.
Harsh on Bradley IMO. Reyna does look exciting but it’s early days and pure potential at this point. Dest seems another winger turned fullback who is severely lacking defensively. Seems the same hype train around US Soccer has just been ratcheted up a notch or two.

Again it’s all potential at this point aside from Adams who I don’t rate nearly as highly as you do obviously and I doubt many others do. See my comments re Dest above. Golden generation is a reach to put it nicely.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Harsh on Bradley IMO. Reyna does look exciting but it’s early days and pure potential at this point. Dest seems another winger turned fullback who is severely lacking defensively. Seems the same hype train around US Soccer has just been ratcheted up a notch or two.

Again it’s all potential at this point aside from Adams who I don’t rate nearly as highly as you do obviously and I doubt many others do. See my comments re Dest above. Golden generation is a reach to put it nicely.
I watch Adams’s every week at RBL and I am 100% convinced he will be, if not now, a world class DM in 12 months. Also, that is harsh on Dest. He has shut down Davies, except for one miss kick, the two times they went head to head.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t watch US soccer, but let me tell those who do where they are wrong!!

I watched Bradley live, so slow and was actually impeding the development of our younger players before they finally moved on. He had his time, but average is a compliment.

sport2793

In terms of the number of players at top European clubs and the youthful age at which this was acheived, no previous generation has come close to the current one. Obviously no one is saying golden generation like the current Belgium one at this time, only time will tell how much this group will achieve.