US Men's National Team Discussion

EtH

In terms of the number of players at top European clubs and the youthful age at which this was acheived, no previous generation has come close to the current one. Obviously no one is saying golden generation like the current Belgium one at this time, only time will tell how much this group will achieve.
That’s fair. But then for every Pulisic there are multiple Julian Greens. But as you say time will tell.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
6 out of 9 points will heal that Panama game, but it will leave a sting for a little bit.

I am afraid these kids achieving DESPITE GB will only make people in US Soccer say GB is doing a good job. Truth is he is terrible.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
6 out of 9 points will heal that Panama game, but it will leave a sting for a little bit.

I am afraid these kids achieving DESPITE GB will only make people in US Soccer say GB is doing a good job. Truth is he is terrible.
10000000000%

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Hmm... this sounds familiar... heard that sentiment echoing around this forum involving a Manchester-based club... and no it's not Pep.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Mexico won in El Salvador again in a very bad football game, but at least without any significant injury and just the loss of Nestor Araujo for the next match vs USA in Columbus in November. I really hate Central American fans, they hate Mexico more than they do USA and save for Costa Rica or Panama, they only play to smash legs. I have some South American friends and whenever they see a CONCACAF match they get surprised to see the atmosphere from the fans and the harshness of the tackles and physical game.

Mexico's next games will be both away and currently, against the best competition CONCACAF has to offer. Personally, I think WC Quallies are more important than the Nations League and I think Martino will arrive with a better footballing idea than he did back in early this year. Lozano, Corona, Herrera and Jimenez are returning to top form and if shown the proper motivation, I can see them winning in Columbus.

Reactions: Sultan

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not really a plan, more an idea about how to wing it. I mean use the wing space obviously
Do your ideas include notions on playing players out of position, randomly changing formation and praying your best players bail you out continuously?

You know, it really is amazing how similar Berhalter and Ole are, down to coaching stints in Scandinavia.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Do your ideas include notions on playing players out of position, randomly changing formation and praying your best players bail you out continuously?

You know, it really is amazing how similar Berhalter and Ole are, down to coaching stints in Scandinavia.
That is if you actually put your best players on the pitch!!

FerociousCorgis

clearly we will go however far we do in spite of berhalter. Dude is an idiot. Lucky arriola got injured pregame since he wouldve killed any attack we might have had. Only thing we can hope is that everyone gets healthy and just has no room for any of the MLS trash like zardes

MrMarcello

Interesting article on Euro academies and linkups in the US. Shocked United never did this some 20-25 years ago when Edwards and co. were on a global marketing crusade. Don't think the Glazers have pushed any United linkups over here that I'm aware of, yet the Fenway Group has them for Liverpool.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...re-competing-with-mls-for-americas-top-talent
How Barcelona, Villarreal and other European clubs are competing with MLS for America's top talent

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Interesting article on Euro academies and linkups in the US. Shocked United never did this some 20-25 years ago when Edwards and co. were on a global marketing crusade.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...re-competing-with-mls-for-americas-top-talent
How Barcelona, Villarreal and other European clubs are competing with MLS for America's top talent
Not sure how I feel about these. For the most part they are money making ventures that are perpetuating the pay for play abomination that is youth soccer here in the US.

Also, name one player that any of these “academics” has produced that has gotten a single significant cap with the US. Shit on them all you want (and I will), but the MLS academies (well, some of them) are doing a great job of developing players.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not sure how I feel about these. For the most part they are money making ventures that are perpetuating the pay for play abomination that is youth soccer here in the US.

Also, name one player that any of these “academics” has produced that has gotten a single significant cap with the US. Shit on them all you want (and I will), but the MLS academies (well, some of them) are doing a great job of developing players.
I can name a (possibly bad?) example in Matthew Hoppe (Barca Residency), but that's all I can think of. The MLS academies, for the most part, are getting better at focusing on their players and developing them. Almost all of them don't have a pay for play setup, either.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I can name a (possibly bad?) example in Matthew Hoppe (Barca Residency), but that's all I can think of. The MLS academies, for the most part, are getting better at focusing on their players and developing them. Almost all of them don't have a pay for play setup, either.
I am a big Hoppe fan, so not a bad example in my book. I didn’t know that about him, I thought he started with the Galaxy.

edcunited1878

Second paragraph just shows it's an easy money grab for someone who uses the rights/likeness/image of an European football club. It cost up to $2K for kids to participate in this Villareal Virginia soccer club. WTF? It's still a pay for play tactic.

Then the article, per usual, uses Gio Reyna and Pulisic as shining lights. Their fathers/family's were the primary reason for their development in Europe and got them away from the US development system and college system.

Schalke has a program, pretty much the same as IMG Academy, where the German club attaches themselves to a private company who finds kids in the US who will pay tens of thousands of dollars to participate in this soccer program in Schalke. They study a bit, but train every day in a program run by one or two Schalke development coaches.

MrMarcello

Once MLS fully accepts they will be a feeder league for real top class clubs perhaps youth development will become better. Perhaps. But the USSF cannot rely on MLS alone, there needs to be more funding from the federation and youth funded programs established nationally in areas MLS does not reach. And at very young ages as Stewart mentioned in the article.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I was discussing our upcoming games on a Chelsea forum and I said my concern was Pulisic on that shitty pitch in Jamaica. Another said his friends were more concerned about him getting injured against Mexico. What say you US fans? Mexico or Jamaica more injury risk to Pulisic?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I was discussing our upcoming games on a Chelsea forum and I said my concern was Pulisic on that shitty pitch in Jamaica. Another said his friends were more concerned about him getting injured against Mexico. What say you US fans? Mexico or Jamaica more injury risk to Pulisic?
A gentle breeze is a danger to the porcelain prince, but to answer the question I would say a desperate Jamaica team on a less then great pitch is the answer.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Roster announced for Mexico/Jamaica. Super excited to see Scally called in. He has been excellent in Germany this year.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
FC Dallas Academy has 6 (!!!) graduates on the roster. 25% from one academy is impressive.

Also, GB is taking a massive chance with this roster. No Brooks and no real depth at CM when both Adams and Weston are sitting on yellow cards. If they get yellows against Mexico our midfield against Jamaica will be Acosta, Llegett and Mussah. Yikes.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What's the expectation for this round of matches, Nats?
4 points would be great but my gut tells me 2 is the most likely. I still have zero faith in GB to set the teams up right and he, as always, got cute with his call ups. If a few things go wrong in the Mexico game the roster could be a disaster for Jamaica.