What has been Man Utd’s best ever outgoing transfer?

Amir

Schneiderlin was a really odd one. He was genuinely brilliant at Southampton. Exactly the sort of player we were often criticised for not buying even when it was obvious (it had to be) that he was primed and ready to go to the next level.
Just feel like he's one on those players who really found their place and shone in a certain system and style. Kind of like some of the Dortmund players over the years.

led_scholes

It has to be Welbeck. An academy player (free), who had stagnated, was injury prone and never really did anything exceptional later. The fee was pretty decent too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ronaldo was insane profit but ultimately a bargain.

Lukaku for me. Didn’t expect that much by any stretch.

JMack1234

Sanchez to Inter Milan

I know we didn't get a fee, but the guy was on insane wages and was playing like a guy who looked like he'd forgot how to play football. I still don't understand why anyone took him on.

dpansheth

Ronaldo was insane profit but ultimately a bargain.

Lukaku for me. Didn’t expect that much by any stretch.
This..

His hand waiving was getting to me.. Best to see him block a 90th minute winner somewhere else.

Giggs86

Surely its got to be Ronaldo. When you put together value for money we got out of him and transfer fee. May not have wanted him to go but Man utd certainly made their money.
We sold arguably the best player in the world right when he was hitting his prime. He was priceless. Who knows how many more trophies we would've had in our cabinet now if we didn't sell him. That was one of our worst outgoing transfers, not the best.

Tallis

Sanchez for me too. Given his injury record, high wages and poor performance, I thought we would be paying his €20-25mm wages for another 2 years. A comparable example is Bale where I think Madrid will probably have to buy out his contract or pray that they get lucky with a Chinese club.

cyril C

If Fergie had stayed for another year I think Rooney to Chelsea for £25 million might be up there.
I never believe in that Chelsea story, just his agent's work. If Chelsea was serious they could have come in with an attractive offer and Fergi would snapped it up straightaway, as he did on Beckham, Stam, Ince....

Raveneye

We sold arguably the best player in the world right when he was hitting his prime. He was priceless. Who knows how many more trophies we would've had in our cabinet now if we didn't sell him. That was one of our worst outgoing transfers, not the best.
Ronaldo wanted to go and he'd served the club well, even staying on longer than he initially intended thanks to Fergie. It hurt long term to lose one of the best players in the world to Real Madrid, but Ronaldo was going to go and holding onto him would only have risked resentment and a collapse in form. Selling Ronaldo was good business at the right time out of circumstances that couldn't be helped. And in the end, Ronaldo has been influential in talking positively about Manchester United to anyone who will listen.

AgentSmith

I never believe in that Chelsea story, just his agent's work. If Chelsea was serious they could have come in with an attractive offer and Fergi would snapped it up straightaway, as he did on Beckham, Stam, Ince....
Fergie was a few months gone by the time the Chelsea bids came in. Mourinho is on record saying the interest was real and we were offered close to £30 million.

Moyes bottled it and Woodward gave Rooney a bumper 5-year deal instead a few months later.

The original plan I think had been to move Rooney on (he’d been in and out of the team all year in Ferguson’s last season) and transition to a 4-2-3-1 system with Kagawa behind Van Persie.

Last edited:
Surely its got to be Ronaldo. When you put together value for money we got out of him and transfer fee. May not have wanted him to go but Man utd certainly made their money.
In hindsight it was great £80m, I think all at once. But in the end Real got a steal.
9 seasons. 4 Champions Leagues. Over a goal a game average. Then sold him for a profit.

RogerO69

Could it have been Beckham? Home grown, Crashed with SAF, we got a very decent price, and his performances were a little bit dipping...

Fergie was a few months gone by the time the Chelsea bids came in. Mourinho is on record saying the interest was real and we were offered close to £30 million.

Moyes bottled it and Woodward gave Rooney a bumper 5-year deal instead a few months later.

The original plan I think had been to move Rooney on (he’d been in and out of the team all year in Ferguson’s last season) and transition to a 4-2-3-1 system with Kagawa behind Van Persie.
Yup. I think the original plan had been to play Kagawa behind Rooney, but then Van Persie came on the market the same summer Kagawa was brought in, and by the time Sir Alex decided to retire he figured it made sense to shift Rooney on.

Having said that, it's also worth remembering that Rooney was the standout player by an absolute mile in the Moyes season, especially the first half. So the new contract didn't look really stupid until a couple of years later.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Lukaku's was insane.
Not wanted by Ole/United, on a big wage, and I don't think he had a long contract left.

dpansheth

Yup. I think the original plan had been to play Kagawa behind Rooney, but then Van Persie came on the market the same summer Kagawa was brought in, and by the time Sir Alex decided to retire he figured it made sense to shift Rooney on.

Having said that, it's also worth remembering that Rooney was the standout player by an absolute mile in the Moyes season, especially the first half. So the new contract didn't look really stupid until a couple of years later.
New contract did look stupid even after that early season form, because he's output was not questioned, he's game was based on his physical attributes, and it was abundantly clear that "first name of the team sheet" days are over. May'13 he handed in the transfer request ( may be Fergie told him that it was time to move or Fergie did not give him 5 years contract that he wanted ), His contract was till 2015 and he could have been sold in 2014 but Moyes.....

rollingstoned1

People remember the 2007 window for the 2 signings on 1 day which had all transfer muppets creaming themselves in Nani and Anderson but it was one of those windows we made good money selling deadwood. I remember being surprised by what Newcastle paid for an Alan smith who was out for over a year with a serious injury and only just came back at the end of that season to score a goal in that 7-1 win against Roma. 7mn was a good bit of business considering that he didn't really pull up any trees later on.

I don't remember. There was some kind of fall out and SAF wanted him out. Same with when RVN left. I can't think of any player that we wanted to keep that we had to sell other than CR7...
you can argue that for most transfers.

read up on his agent, £40k in the United safe, and the Shaktar president being blown up.

it’s an incredible story.

SAFMUTD

I simply cant judge as a "good sell" selling a player which weakens us, no matter for how much. I just dont see us as a feeder club so I really dont understand why some here mention Cristiano.

Sure we made a 85M profit but we lost one of the top 5 players in history and we haven't had, and possibly wont for a long long time, a player of his quality.

For me the greatest sell has to be Alexis Sanchez, it doesnt matter if we just let him go for free. Just the fact that we were able to offload his wages after such poor performances from him, its miraculous.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Controversial as he was my childhood hero and was worth loads more, but Beckham to Madrid for £25m and bringing in Ronaldo as a replacement for half the fee was genius in hindsight.
Nah, we should/could've gotten way more for him if we would've acted smarter.

midnightmare

For my money, the best outgoings have to be Ince, Schneiderlin, di Maria (was amazed we recouped that much given the situation), Lukaku (ditto) and Welbeck. Honorable mention also to the Heinze exit. Swerving selling him to Liverpool and actually getting money (GBP 8 Mn IIRC) for a player at war with the club wasn't bad business at all. Alexis? Who's that? Never heard of this fecker...unless my brain's just blocked it out. Does that when it perceives significant trauma ;-).

dal

We brought Martial for c.£50 million, if we sold Martial instead of Lukaku for c.£50 million we could potentially be in a better place right now.

The above is just pure speculation but I’m unsure of him being our best sale for our team although it was probably the right move and the fee was great.

Schniederlin for me was the best sale.

KranjskaKlobasa

Transfer amounts as per transfermarkt. Only transfers from recent years.
  • 5 million € for Paddy McNair in 16/17.
  • Sold Buttner for the same amount we bought him
  • Zoran Tosić - ~2 million € profit on him

Interval

Level
May have not been brilliant for us but Forlan sale was a good deal for all parties involved.

In terms of us robbing someone blind, Tosic maybe. Mkhitryan definitely and Welbeck

Edit: we also got money for Obertan and Manucho

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Oh, convincing Wenger that Mikael Silvestre was a viable solution for his terrible defence - during a season that Arsenal were in genuine contention for a large part it - was a stroke of genius.

midnightmare

We brought Martial for c.£50 million, if we sold Martial instead of Lukaku for c.£50 million we could potentially be in a better place right now.

The above is just pure speculation but I’m unsure of him being our best sale for our team although it was probably the right move and the fee was great.

Schniederlin for me was the best sale.
Eh, what? We'd absolutely not be in a better place. Lukaku absolutely does not fit with the way Ole sets us up. His numbers for Inter are just a matter of him finding his level in a slower league and one in which his flaws don't stall him as much as here. Plus (and this can't be stressed enough), most on here don't watch him all the time - or even very often. Last I saw of him, he was blocking a shot on goal...from his team mate :lol: .

What about Mark Hughes? I know he was a very good player during his time at Utd. But, came in as a schoolboy sold for 2m bought back for 1.8m and sold again for 1m.

Selling Beckham too, I think the time was right for him to move on. Fergie got that one spot on.
It was right for non footballing reasons. But had he stayed he would have moved inside and helped during the period when Keane was done and our midfield was abysmal. Wish he'd stayed like Giggs and Scholes

r
People remember the 2007 window for the 2 signings on 1 day which had all transfer muppets creaming themselves in Nani and Anderson but it was one of those windows we made good money selling deadwood. I remember being surprised by what Newcastle paid for an Alan smith who was out for over a year with a serious injury and only just came back at the end of that season to score a goal in that 7-1 win against Roma. 7mn was a good bit of business considering that he didn't really pull up any trees later on.
I hated Smith being at United. Was never good enough and he was a really cnut leeds fan. Very glad when he left.

GazTheLegend

Sanchez to Inter Milan

I know we didn't get a fee, but the guy was on insane wages and was playing like a guy who looked like he'd forgot how to play football. I still don't understand why anyone took him on.
Sort of my feeling too. It was so important for us that he didn't come back. 400k a week according to football leaks, wow.
In terms of transfer fees received for a player we sold Andy Cole for £8million and made a £1m profit that allowed us to sign Ruud van Nistelrooy in the same window which seemed pretty good business at the time

Oranges038

It was right for non footballing reasons. But had he stayed he would have moved inside and helped during the period when Keane was done and our midfield was abysmal. Wish he'd stayed like Giggs and Scholes

r

I hated Smith being at United. Was never good enough and he was a really cnut leeds fan. Very glad when he left.
I'd have loved him to stay too and he would've still been an important player, he was such a hard working and such an intelligent player on the pitch. I think he could have played the more central role like Giggs did or he could also have taken up the role Carrick played. Imagine him picking out balls to Rooney and Ronaldo, or even corners with Ronaldo and Vidic in the box. What could have been. Unfortunately, it was the right time for him to go.

Red00012

How much did we get for Ince? I was a huge fan and gutted we sold him, but Fergie tended to know exactly when a player’s time was up.
6 million I think and he didn’t want to leave ,
I’ll never forget that summer getting rid of Ince ,Kanchelskis and Hughes , I loved Ince as a player , it was the year he replaced them with youth and we all thought we were fecked :D

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It was right for non footballing reasons. But had he stayed he would have moved inside and helped during the period when Keane was done and our midfield was abysmal. Wish he'd stayed like Giggs and Scholes.
Yeah, I don't think the Beckham sale really belongs in this thread. Arguably undervalued, still had a few good years left in him, and didn't help United's midfield struggles as they took another 4 years to win the league. I get the Beckham out/Cristiano in angle, but they performed such different functions (Beckham a middle third player, Cristiano a final third one) that on the park it would never have needed to be that way. Obviously as you say the non-footballing reasons were worth the sale alone, but ultimately United still lost out when Beckham left.

Denis' cuff

Agree re. Schneiderlin and Lukaku. We recouped the fees for both and didn’t look back. Neither of them were remotely good enough to play for us, too.

Schneiderlin was a really odd one. He was genuinely brilliant at Southampton. Exactly the sort of player we were often criticised for not buying even when it was obvious (it had to be) that he was primed and ready to go to the next level.

That move killed him. It’s easy to sit here now and say he was never good enough in the first place, and that he went on to struggle at Everton, but it was genuinely sustained form at Southampton that deservedly got him the move. Maybe during a different time period, with a different set of players, it might have worked out. But it didn’t, and that was that.

Lukaku is a halfwit. £73 million back was exceptional business.
yeah, Schneiderlin was an odd one. Superb for Soton but if the new boss deploys a player differently and/or is surrounded by players who aren’t complimentary, different tactics etc.... ? Maybe just lose momentum and confidence.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t we get about £20m for Welbeck? He gave us his best years & was distinctly average. Went to Arsenal & basically spent the entire time injured. Seemed to score 2 goals a season, both against United :lol: