What has been you favourite season purely league wise?

Lee565

I'm not talking overall season in terms of all competitions within a season but if you was to take just the league on it's own merit what has been your most favourite/memorable season to have gone through?

For me personally it has to be the 95/96, the way United came back with what looked like maybe too many points to catch Newcastle up with half a season left to play, the infamous kegan meltdown thanks to fergie's mind games, the return of king Eric who scored so many important goals in some tight big games in second half of that season against the likes of arsenal, spurs and newcastle, watching many of the class of 92 establish themselves into the first team and watching Newcastle slip up in that 4-3 thriller against liverpool.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
2006 2007

Rooney Ronaldo and Saha too fast too skilled and too good.

Rooney and Ronaldo even better chemistry after the wink

The return of Scholes. Intro to Carrick.

Rio and Vidic

Evra

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
95/96.
Cantona and the young lads, the two games against Newcastle (what a goal from Cole), Cantona's Arsenal goal, Keane against Leeds.

06/07.
Back to the top, finally getting the better of Mourinho and Chelsea, Ole back from injury, Larsson in a Utd jersey, Scholes volley.

I loved them all obviously but those two stand out.

lysglimt

Scout
92/93 - one of the best moments of my life was that Blackburn-game. When Pallister hammered home that freekick, I was standing in the pub with tears in my eyes. It was like in that moment it sunk in. We had won the League - even if we won it 3-4 days earlier.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
02-03 and 06-07
Yeah, this. '03 was my first one so kind of special, but '07 was United ripping the league back from what seemed like an unbeatable Chelsea side. That felt good, especially since we seemed so far away just the year before.

wolvored

92/93 was the best feeling ever football wise. To think we were battling Villa and Norwich for the title as well. 99/00 was another special one as we obliterated everyone and won by 19 points I think it was. We were only 3 goals shy of 100 goals as well, if my memory serves me right.

RedfromIreland

1964-65 Amazing after overcoming the Munich tragedy and having to rebuild physically and psychologically. Management and players.
2006-2007 Again having to rebuild and showing such resolve.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
92/93 - one of the best moments of my life was that Blackburn-game. When Pallister hammered home that freekick, I was standing in the pub with tears in my eyes. It was like in that moment it sunk in. We had won the League - even if we won it 3-4 days earlier.
Definitely this and I was at Old Trafford to top it off

GenZRed

2006-2007 since that is the first season I was old enough to know what was going on. Felt great since most of my experience with Man United up until that pint was disappointment. I still remember losing the 2005 FA Cup final to Arsenal on penalties.

I also enjoyed 2012-2013 season. Football wasn't always great but that team has such a resolve to win games.

Djemba-Djemba

The first half of the 2006/2007 season is maybe the best I've ever seen Utd play on a consistent basis.

We were so fast and creative and fun to watch, it was amazing. There was this wonderful realisation throughout the season watching the likes of Vidic and Evra and Ronaldo and Carrick that Fergie had done it again, he'd built another great Utd side.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The 96/97 season was pretty special for me. The PL was still relatively shiny and new and everybody wanted a go. I remember when Ravenelli joined Middlesborough and scored a hattrick on his debut. Then there was Beckham's halfway line goal against Wimbledon. Those famous defeats against Newcastle (5-0) and Southampton (6-3) with the dodgy grey kit. In those days every team had like a big star/character in it's team. It was just so new and exciting back then. It's like the attitude era of the WWF.

stevoc

95/96, 98/99, 02/03 and 06/07 are some of my favourites.

If i had to pick i'd probably have to say 2002-03 for some reason.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
92/93 after crying in front of the tele the season before as Liverpool beat us to give the title to Leeds, I thought it would never happen.

The atmosphere in Manchester from villa losing to Oldham was a massive carnival seemed to last a week. The atmosphere inside OT for the game vs Blackburn, to be honest we were all there for the party, the game was secondary. But we won......then the party started. What a night !

Chipper

Adulterer.
92/93 - I turned 14 during the season so hadn't been alive for all the barren years but that was my first and it just felt so good.

Like others have said that night against Blackburn was special, I'll always remember that. After that I felt happy and content all summer long.

Whenever I think about it I try to remember Sir Matt, so glad he got to see it too.

Dante

Average bang
06/07

It was the last time we played really entertaining football (even more so than in 07/08).

The last few games with Bruno have been almost as much fun. I'm hoping that when Rashford comes back, next season could be right up there. Ole showed his philosophy early in his reign. Since then, he's been following the old squad-building matra of 'build from the back'. He's close to getting the team where he wants it to be.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, this. '03 was my first one so kind of special, but '07 was United ripping the league back from what seemed like an unbeatable Chelsea side. That felt good, especially since we seemed so far away just the year before.
Same here.

2002/2003 was my first full season supporting the club, and the tension during that title race was incredible, and I think it was the rivalry with Arsenal that elevated it for me. So this takes the top spot for me with the 1-1 at Arsenal being one of my most memorable footballing memories.

Then 2006/2007 of course which was our comeback against most odds. It's interesting that I don't remember this season with as much clarity. But of course it was fantastic to reclaim the crown after three years (which back then felt like an eternity).

Last edited:

Mr Smith

07/08 for me, partly because of the great football, partly because it sort of was the first season I really watched all the way through.

Even though we didn't win the league, I also have a soft spot for 09/10, when we beat City with last minute goals 3 times in a single season :keano:

Champagne Football

92/93 was good but there was no Beckham, Scholes, Keane etc then.

95/96 was possibly our best ever team and my all time favourite Utd team. It was the famous 'win nothing with kids' season when we first saw Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs all in midfield together for the first time. Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes were shown the door. But for whatever reason Cole and Cantona could not play together and Fergie still hadn't figured out how to win in Europe yet. But if Fergie had Carlos Queiroz as his no. 2 back then, helping him set up against continental opposition, then that team should have won a couple of champions league titles.

98/99 was possibly Fergie's best ever summer transfer window with Jaap Stan and Dwight Yorke in sensational form, Andy Cole suddenly coming to life, and Roy Keane back from a cruciate injury where his absence meant Arsenal were free to do the Double the year before.

Then of course the Cristiano years and to a lesser extent, but equally devastating RVP years were wild too.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
2006 2007

Rooney Ronaldo and Saha too fast too skilled and too good.

Rooney and Ronaldo even better chemistry after the wink

The return of Scholes. Intro to Carrick.

Rio and Vidic

Evra
This unquestionably for me. Those late wins at Fulham and Liverpool back-to-back. Everton comeback.

We sold Ruud and didn't replace him whilst Chlesea added Ballack and Shevchenko to a side that had won consecutive league titles, don't think many gave us a chance so it felt like an underdog story.

Our most entertaining team even if the 07/08 team was better.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
93/94. A double back when that was still a big deal. A team of 11 settled players with Bryan Robson among the back ups. Cantona the ultimate talisman.

I’ve never enjoyed being a football supporter more than that season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
06/07.

I was too young to remember our first PL win, so everything after that kind of felt like us winning what was rightfully ours. Still awesome of course, but perhaps not quite as emotional. Then we had those three seasons of relative struggle and the rise of what looked like an unstoppable Chelsea machine who had just gone out and bought two superstars in Shevchenko and Ballack. We'd sold Ruud although we had been playing better football without him the previous season, we'd had the Ronaldo and Rooney issue at the World Cup, and Keane had been sacked the previous season. Overall it looked like the end of our era.

Then we went out and won the title while playing some of the most exciting football in English history. The rise of Ronaldo as the best player in the world (even if Kaka technically won it that season) in what was his transitional season where he combined the pure excitement of his younger days with the effectiveness that he would change to. Vidic and Evra coming from nowhere to be amongst the best players in the world in their positions. Carrick stepping in and giving us that solid base in midfield.

Ask me in a month.

I loved the 95/96 season. Cantona in full swagger and it proved the first double wasn't a fluke and we really were at the top. As a kid i also wore that blue and white away shirt every day for about a year.

PeteManic

02/03.

Every match seemed to be on Sky and the momentum was building every week. The team seemed to a patchwork with the sole aim of getting Ruud the ball. You had Solskjaer on the wing, Scholes up front, O'Shea left-back, P Nev centre midfield but it all worked. It was a great league season.