What has the fans' protest won us?

Red_toad

Because fans have a blinkered view to things like that. What binds fans together in situations like this is ‘ what is best for the club’ not a social conscience or moral outrage. City’s fans are happy to stay quiet as long as their owners are invested in the club and back the coach. If we had Saudi owners or Pablo Escobar I doubt if there’d be mass protests if they were backing the club. It’s a cynical view but I don’t have the faith in people
City’s owners have invested in the area around their stadium. They really have been very beneficial for all things City. Their fans will never turn on them and don’t have the same requirements that United are now putting on any future ownership model. I’ve no idea how it all pans out for United, who the hell would want to buy the club? The fans sure won’t.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
SO FAR the only thing it did was deviding United fans into two opposing camps, top red cock swinging competition and possibly distracting the team with the schedule feck up.

I do hope the good things will outweigh the bad ones in the long term, though.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Their fans will never turn on them...
There are City fans who don't like the current owners. They were never as high-profile, as a group, as the United fans who abandoned ship and formed FC United - but they do exist.

Thing is, though, that contrary to what they traditionally claim, City don't have anywhere near as many local fans as United.

Also - most of their fans are bitter cnuts who'd support anything unfavourable to United. Including Hitler buying City, etc.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s given a lot of people a new scapegoat and it’s one that means they can forget the limitations of the players and the manager.

If some fans still don’t understand the protests then there’s not much else to say.
What a joke.

Nikelesh Reddy

It’s undeniable that playing Liverpool as per schedule would have given us a much better chance of getting a result...

lsd

The Oracle
:confused: football clubs means the world to a lot of people

It's not too be compared to civil rights and racist abuse though.

If anyone feels it is the same they need to take a look at themselves.

I don't agree with how the protesters are behaving when they commit criminal acts and the fact they have cost the players and led to two defeats now as a result of their actions

I do like the idea of going after sponsors downgrading their products etc as that can have an affect but breaking into old Trafford, attacking Coaches and destroying things then that's just brainless

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not too be compared to civil rights and racist abuse though.

If anyone feels it is the same they need to take a look at themselves.

I don't agree with how the protesters are behaving when they commit criminal acts and the fact they have cost the players and led to two defeats now as a result of their actions

I do like the idea of going after sponsors downgrading their products etc as that can have an affect but breaking into old Trafford, attacking Coaches and destroying things then that's just brainless
No need to be precious. If someone loves his football club like his loved ones that his choice. Everytime someone protests they're told it's not racism and hence a small deal as if that's the only problem to ever have existed in the world. People's passions mean a lot to them often more than current affairs, etc as their happiness resolves completely around it.

Hope you also didn't like all the violent acts during BLM protests. As per me protests inevitably involve some people being foolish. It's hard to avoid.

Roboc7

What a joke.
Another sad fan that thinks it’s fans fault we lost two games, it’s really protesters fault that midfielders couldn’t pass the ball against Liverpool. Embarrassing, if players and managers don’t have limitations why haven’t we won the league?. You probably thought we were going to thrash Liverpool then when we didn’t who can I blame, the fans.

We weren’t good enough against Liverpool, we lost, get over it and stop blaming fans.

Last edited:

wolvored

2-3 elite players is a bit much to expect. He'll have to find a few hidden/less fancied gems and get the job done. No club is giving their team 3 ready made elite players right now. Ole has to get it done with constraints everyone has
I don't know. I think the glazers will go big in the transfer window to try and appease the fans.

Red_toad

There are City fans who don't like the current owners. They were never as high-profile, as a group, as the United fans who abandoned ship and formed FC United - but they do exist.

Thing is, though, that contrary to what they traditionally claim, City don't have anywhere near as many local fans as United.

Also - most of their fans are bitter cnuts who'd support anything unfavourable to United. Including Hitler buying City, etc.
But their owners have given their fans more than could ever have expected. Ours have done exactly as expected, take, take, take. Now the fans want new owners, but with so many conditions they’re going to make it impossible for the current mob to sell. So we’ll just end up with the Glazers, reduced revenues and disruption. The fans won’t group together to purchase the club and only want a owner who will invest in the club and has pretty much squeaky clean image. I think the goals are being set to unrealistic levels.

StBruno

Can’t beat that.
of course the defeats aren’t due to the protests.But I cannot see what the protests can achieve ... except to allow for those genuinely maddened by the current owners to give voice to their frustrations, and allow the other idiots to mess about inside OT

jlecesne

I don't know. I think the glazers will go big in the transfer window to try and appease the fans.
Agreed. I think the Glazers will make an attempt to buy the loyalty of the fans with a huge transfer window.

Ranchero

Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The protests forced a response from Joel Glazer, who has vowed to give supporters a bigger say on how the club is run in the future, in addition to allowing them to buy shares in the club. Whether he plans to follow through with those promises is another entirely.

“As one of the few European football clubs listed on the public markets, we believe in the principle of fans owning shares in the club,” Glazer wrote. “We have previously engaged with the Manchester United Supporters’ Trust on fan share ownership and we want to continue and accelerate those discussions, together with provisions to enhance associated fan consultation.” #

The above statement is a direct result of the protests.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
The protest is 100% why we lost 2 on the bounce.. not to say a win was gauranteed either way.

As much as i dislike the glazers.. they aint going anywhere anytime soon. Protesting wont change that.. weve been protesting them since they took over.

I also hate to say this but souness made a good point.. despite the money they take out of the club. Despite the debt. financially they have back the club.. of course using its own money not theirs. We have spent more than everyone besides city. Their only real major flaw is appointing suits instead of football minded people at the top.

Roboc7

The protest is 100% why we lost 2 on the bounce.. not to say a win was gauranteed either way.

As much as i dislike the glazers.. they aint going anywhere anytime soon. Protesting wont change that.. weve been protesting them since they took over.

I also hate to say this but souness made a good point.. despite the money they take out of the club. Despite the debt. financially they have back the club.. of course using its own money not theirs. We have spent more than everyone besides city. Their only real major flaw is appointing suits instead of football minded people at the top.
Other than over seeing the club go backwards on and off the pitch whilst wasting and continuing to waste hundreds of millions on debt maybe they aren’t so bad.

steffyr2

The glazers have run off with a billion of the club's money and are running us poorly. And fans standing up against that deserve our support and respect.

Not "butttt what if it were Saudis huh huh??"
The glazers have been in charge for so long, I've forgotten. Just checked wikipedia, the glazer were bought Utd for £800 million, and now the worth is estimated at £3.05 billion by Forbes.

Sounds like a good job.

Maticmaker

The glazers have been in charge for so long, I've forgotten. Just checked wikipedia, the glazer were bought Utd for £800 million, and now the worth is estimated at £3.05 billion by Forbes.
/
Sounds like a good job.
Yes its called 'growing the asset' and that is exactly what they have done.

Yes the Glazers have made money out of United... guess why they bought the club!
They have spent money as well, but not very wisely in most cases...why was that?

Ed Woodward made money for the Glazers and for the Club, at one point 'hand over fist', but then the 'daft bat' insisted on telling the managers how to spend it... oh dear not only that he really insisted and proved he was not as good at spending it as he was at making it!

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Sounds like a good job.
It's a fantastic job when you consider that of that £800m a lot more than half came from loans so in reality the profit margin is even greater. To put it into perspective, in the last 5 years Abramovich has pumped £440m of his own money into his club, Evertons owners £300m, Villas owners £200m while the Glazers have taken £90m out.

The only club close to us for taking money out of their club is Spurs at £40m but that could be forgiven for them building a nice shiny £1b stadium.

MU655

It's a fantastic job when you consider that of that £800m a lot more than half came from loans so in reality the profit margin is even greater. To put it into perspective, in the last 5 years Abramovich has pumped £440m of his own money into his club, Evertons owners £300m, Villas owners £200m while the Glazers have taken £90m out.

The only club close to us for taking money out of their club is Spurs at £40m but that could be forgiven for them building a nice shiny £1b stadium.
To be fair, taking out dividends has actually been a pretty normal thing for Manutd for a long time.

Even the Plc before Glazers also took out dividends, so it isn't really anything new. 5% of revenue was taken as dividends in 2002, which is a bigger proportion than that taken in dividends in 2020 (4.5%) and 2019 (3.6%).

It also goes back into the 90s.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To be fair, taking out dividends has actually been a pretty normal thing for Manutd for a long time.

Even the Plc before Glazers also took out dividends, so it isn't really anything new. 5% of revenue was taken as dividends in 2002, which is a bigger proportion than that taken in dividends in 2020 (4.5%) and 2019 (3.6%).

It also goes back into the 90s.
I don't disagree with you but the biggest difference is in 2002 we were the biggest baddest club on the planet then in 2005 we had Old Trafford renovated and everything looked great for the future so paying dividends was the least of our worries. Of course nothing is forever but roll on 16 years and Old Trafford is crumbling and my own personal opinion is we're not winning the PL or CL anytime soon so a lot more focus is being placed on how our club is being systematically raped by people who have absolutely no interest in football. It's sickening just to think that a club they bought for £260(?)m they can now sell for a profit of nearly £3b. Really does make my piss boil.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Protests aren't meant to be convenient or fit in your ideal schedule, they also don't provide short-term or sometimes even long-term gains. Just a weird thread overall, what did you expect them to 'win you'?

Glazers Out!

I don't disagree with you but the biggest difference is in 2002 we were the biggest baddest club on the planet then in 2005 we had Old Trafford renovated and everything looked great for the future so paying dividends was the least of our worries. Of course nothing is forever but roll on 16 years and Old Trafford is crumbling and my own personal opinion is we're not winning the PL or CL anytime soon so a lot more focus is being placed on how our club is being systematically raped by people who have absolutely no interest in football. It's sickening just to think that a club they bought for £260(?)m they can now sell for a profit of nearly £3b. Really does make my piss boil.
The Glazer's have no reason to put any money into Old Trafford.
Once they attain Super League or Relegation Immunity status they can threaten to move the team unless Manchester pays for a new stadium/renovations. This is what they do in American Closed Leagues. This is their goal.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Clarification of who Glazers are and true belief why they need to go, now not only United fans knows that, the whole football world was and is still watching.

Our league defeats are not caused by protesters, if the real scum didn't tried to kidnap the club and ship it to another league, there would be no tight schedule during Leicester & Liverpool games, therefore no complications.

Souness claiming these protests have no meaning to United's football side of things is reinforcing me to think United are heading the right direction. We're still 2nd in the league despite everything and Ole is coping with a squad without balance in more than few areas.