What if football switched to 2 goalies

Sir Erik ten Hag

Title is self-explained.

Imagine if football switches the rule from now, that a team has two keepers but the total number of players for each team is still 11. All other rules stay the same. How much of an impact would it bring?

Will successful coaches like Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti suffer from this because their football philosophies are broken? Or the football world would still evolve to today's state like we have witnessed?

I can imagine De Gea would be less scrutinized for his ball-playing skills and assertiveness, if he had a goalie partner to cover his weakness. And the lone CB in this modern football world would most likely be similar to a deep-lying playmaker, as teams would want to dictate plays from there (Similar to American Football's quarterback).

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Starring at that penalty taker's legs and going increasingly insane.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Everything about this thread is twisting my melon.
The striker is all twisted,
The keepers look Immobile,
And why ask such inane questions.

Wish I'd never entered this thread, it's ruined my week.

Bondi77

Maybe in the womens game or just reduce the size of the goals.

Champ

So you've had a pretty good week so far though, right? 5/7 ain't bad.
Yeah, I guess.

But this thread won't go away. It's drawn me in like a black hole, to all consume my being and sanity.
I'd go so far to say the month of March may well be ruined by this.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
You wouldn't want to lose the outfield player. So, in practice, it would just turn into nominating one of your defenders to wear gloves and be able to handle it. He'd get drawn back for set piece defending.

Since there is no rule about a goalie having to stay in his area, that'd be about the only effect I reckon.

Oranges038

Yeah, I guess.

But this thread won't go away. It's drawn me in like a black hole, to all consume my being and sanity.
I'd go so far to say the month of March may well be ruined by this.
I wouldn't take any risks. Try and save the rest of the year by seeking counselling, it might help.

Or you could just take loads of drugs until you finally come round to thinking of this being a reasonable idea. Or you might melt your brain so much you foget it ever happend. It's a win win.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've often wondered what football would be like if the keeper could not leave the area. There'd be loads more goals I reckon, and for that reason, if needs to happen

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Title is self-explained.

Imagine if football switches the rule from now, that a team has two keepers but the total number of players for each team is still 11. All other rules stay the same. How much of an impact would it bring?

Will successful coaches like Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti suffer from this because their football philosophies are broken? Or the football world would still evolve to today's state like we have witnessed?

I can imagine De Gea would be less scrutinized for his ball-playing skills and assertiveness, if he had a goalie partner to cover his weakness. And the lone CB in this modern football world would most likely be similar to a deep-lying playmaker, as teams would want to dictate plays from there (Similar to American Football's quarterback).

I have paid the garden gnome guy on the dark web a small fortune to invade your very being with gnomes of all varieties for years to come.

CM

All of this so we don't have to replace de Gea. This is getting out of hand!

PSV

Well, it's not exactly "still 11 players", but some of the effects of two goalkeepers can be seen here (amateurs mind):

I think instead of covering half the goal each like depicted you'd have one play about 10 yards out and the other on the line.

It's all just fantasy of course.

Champ

I wouldn't take any risks. Try and save the rest of the year by seeking counselling, it might help.

Or you could just take loads of drugs until you finally come round to thinking of this being a reasonable idea. Or you might melt your brain so much you foget it ever happend. It's a win win.
Sounds like a plan,

The drugs that is. I fear that's the only way out of this self induced hell.

Cloud7

To give a serious response to what is likely not a serious thread, football is already an extremely low scoring sport. There is already a lot in place that favors the defensive side of the game, like the fouls that defenders get that a midfielder or attacker never would, offside goals when in doubt always favoring the defensive team, the “dark arts” like tactical fouling etc.

Football doesn’t need anything to reduce the chances of goals being scored even more.

Chipper

Adulterer.
There'd be the odd occasion where they'd both dive for the same ball, or both try to collect a cross and get each other's way. Or one would deflect it past the other, that would be quite funny.

Hughes35

Well, it's not exactly "still 11 players", but some of the effects of two goalkeepers can be seen here (amateurs mind):

I think instead of covering half the goal each like depicted you'd have one play about 10 yards out and the other on the line.

It's all just fantasy of course.
Yea, you'd have an keeper that likes running our like Allison and then you'd have a shot stopper like De Gea just stood on the line.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You'd basically still have the same game as the other 'keeper' would be converted into an outfielder by any smart coach. You'd get some super defensive moments where you actually play two keeper keepers but for the most part nothing would change.

Sir Erik ten Hag

You'd basically still have the same game as the other 'keeper' would be converted into an outfielder by any smart coach. You'd get some super defensive moments where you actually play two keeper keepers but for the most part nothing would change.
Mourinho may benefit from this. A double-decker bus with 2 goalkeepers.

Smores

What if you add an additional player who can't touch the ball at all but is only there to psyche out the opponent.

redshaw

Remove the keepers and allow teams to brick up 50% of the goal in a pattern of their choosing.