What if the Premier League has its own streaming service : "Premflix"

meamth

Not sure if it is posted here, but here it is:

If this really happens, imagine the dominance the premier league could have..

So should the FA implement this?

meamth

They won’t, not in the UK anyway the clubs would be well against it as gate receipts would suffer.
Why would the gate receipts will suffer?
This will replace the current TV deals and they will get direct income from customers.

diarm

Did Netflix stop people going to the cinema?

The big difference for the Premier League from this, is that they'd start to see revenue from the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people who are watching their content illegally around the world each weekend.

It would also be infinitely better for the consumer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why would the gate receipts will suffer?
This will replace the current TV deals and they will get direct income from customers.
If they were to show every game, they would. Plus what do the FA know about broad casting? They would have to create a brand, hire their own camera men, their own studio, staff then create a streaming platform to implement it. All costs money and requires expertise that the FA don’t have.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
They won’t, not in the UK anyway the clubs would be well against it as gate receipts would suffer.
It would be interesting as it would pit the premiership against the EFL. It's the EFL that worry attendances would suffer if the 3pm blackout wasn't observed. They recently made SkyBet stop streaming Bundesliga and Serie A matches inbetween 3 and 5pm on a Saturday saying it was blatantly flouting the 3pm blackout rule.

I didn't realise it was all football and not just British football that was banned from being televised or streamed at that time. The only match that was ever allowed to be broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in the UK was the FA Cup final but that's now been moved to 5pm. It's also why the final day of the season when all the matches are played at the same time, they're played on a Sunday to avoid the rule!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

The big difference for the Premier League from this, is that they'd start to see revenue from the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people who are watching their content illegally around the world each weekend.

Not really the same is it? Cinema gets movies what 6 months before TV broadcasters and as far as I am aware Cinema goes numbers have fell over the last decade or so.

meamth

If they were to show every game, they would. Plus what do the FA know about broad casting? They would have to create a brand, hire their own camera men, their own studio, staff then create a streaming platform to implement it. All costs money and requires expertise that the FA don’t have.
That's the kind of investment they can easily make. I'm sure with it's stature, they can easily get a new capital from loans. Start slowly for the UK, then Singapore, USA, and so on.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
There's a company doing it all right now that few people in Britain know, Premier League Productions films and distributes every EPL match around the world, the FA could hire them to do it in an instant.

Siorac

It'd be a Premier League streaming service, it wouldn't be handled by the FA. And the Premier League already has a strong brand.

meamth

Imagine this, for 10 quid, you can have it all.

I would take it in a heartbeat.

arnie_ni

Even if they didnt show all the games until 6pm it would still be better than sky

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Will PL get 3-4 billion from Sky if this is the case?

Siorac

The real question is whether it'd be worth it for the clubs. Netflix's revenue is around 20 billion USD or 15 billion GBP. That's 'only' about four times as much as Sky pays for TV rights and as popular as the PL is, it cannot really expect Netflix-like viewer numbers, especially as there are two full months in any given year when there are no games at all.

DBT85

As someone who works for the PL broadcasting their shit worldwide, they won't do it.

They currently make like £10m per game every game broadcast, shared equally (ish) between clubs. That's just for the UK audience. The numbers that actually watch the games are not that high but it's paid for by every sky/bt subscriber, whether they pay for sports or not.

The PL has its own channel it has for about 6 years. We show the 3pm games on it too. Most of you watching anywhere other than the UK are watching it.

They like the current model because it makes money, contractually, for at least 3 years at a time. Doesn't matter who's winning, doesn't matter who's shit. They get paid regardless. If they decided to do premflix tomorrow it could be online by the start of next season (we already handle all of Amazon's PL coverage and the servers that go with it). The issue they have is they have no guarantee of how much money they'd make. Because subs can go up and down as the season goes.

It certainly wouldn't save you much over what you currentlyhhave to pay for sky or bt, and they'd never allow you to only pay for United games for example.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Will PL get 3-4 billion from Sky if this is the case?
No the idea is that the PL skip out the broadcasters and stream directly on their own platform world wide and make far more cash.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Always seemed like a no brainer. It makes no sense that the only country (along with Ireland) you can't watch all PL games in is the country it's fecking based in.

UmbroDays

LaLiga presently do it and they remove the Saturday 3PM games due to some UEFA law. Similarly the NFL and NBA have done this too.

The reality is that for United, 74k~ can fit into a stadium, if every single game was pushed onto TV it would increase revenue in other departments e.g. shirts sales vs £40~ for a ticket

Last edited:

DBT85

£10 a month would require 11m subs to stay subbed all year to grt the same revenues they get right now with none of the hassle. Not nearly that many people would pay it.

That's just for the UK.

Streaming options already exist in other places. I think NZ has one that costs £100 a YEAR. that's how low the demand is.

Massive Spanner

£10 a month would require 11m subs to stay subbed all year to grt the same revenues they get right now with none of the hassle. Not nearly that many people would pay it.
£10 would be too low. Right now for Sky and BT combined it's something like €60 in Ireland. I'd happily pay €20 to watch all Utd games now. I already do through other.. "means".

DBT85

£10 would be too low. Right now for Sky and BT combined it's something like €60 in Ireland. I'd happily pay €20 to watch all Utd games now. I already do through other.. "means".
And the other means wouldn't stop. I can watch every game we play for £40 a year.

Massive Spanner

And the other means wouldn't stop. I can watch every game we play for £40 a year.
No but I think a lot more people would sign up for a service where you're guaranteed to be able to watch all games at a really high streaming quality with no threat of shutdowns or streams going down. I certainly would. Also I'm pretty sure at its peak Sky used to have easily more than 11m subscribers, before they lost the CL and upped prices even more.

GBBQ

It certainly wouldn't save you much over what you currentlyhhave to pay for sky or bt, and they'd never allow you to only pay for United games for example.
I currently have sky sports and BT Sports subscriptions and still can't watch all the United games on tv, so for me its not about saving money its having reliable access to watching all United's games live. As you say though the big issue would be that the subs would fluctuate and even more so than netflix as most people would opt out for the summer.

DBT85

No but I think a lot more people would sign up for a service where you're guaranteed to be able to watch all games at a really high streaming quality with no threat of shutdowns or streams going down. I certainly would. Also I'm pretty sure at its peak Sky used to have easily more than 11m subscribers, before they lost the CL and upped prices even more.
Not for sports they didn't I don't think. Overall maybe. Recently sky announced something like 23 million subscribers (to all services) but only 11.7m are TV subs. All of them TV or not help pay for the PL. Every single one.

Put it this way. The F1 used to get 5+ million watching on the BBC. Sometimes peaks at 8m. On sky the the most watched last year got 1.4m, and only because it was also on sky one.

F1 don't care because its easy money. It even offsets the lower exposure to sponsors.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
No the idea is that the PL skip out the broadcasters and stream directly on their own platform world wide and make far more cash.
Yeah but will they make so much money to replace Sky package?

DBT85

I currently have sky sports and BT Sports subscriptions and still can't watch all the United games on tv, so for me its not about saving money its having reliable access to watching all United's games live. As you say though the big issue would be that the subs would fluctuate and even more so than netflix as most people would opt out for the summer.
Not even just the summer. I imagine United subs would drop right now compared to 5 years ago and there aren't enough Leicester or Sheffield United fans to pick up the slack. The variability would be huge.

meamth

I agree that with just football only, subscription will suffer.

Okay, let's say Disney plus/Netflix gets a deal, exclusive rights for all matches and PL database footages, I think it can be a booming success.

Imagine Netflix + PL = Profit?

Dr. StrangeHate

A lot of people I know including me just watch United matches. If there was a United steaming service asking upto £20 a month I would suscribe in an instant.

meamth

Netflix or all streaming services certainly did put so much pressure on film industries.

Nowadays all the movies must be big/fun/blockbuster/sequels.
No more original ideas like before.

Kajus

That's just for the UK.

Streaming options already exist in other places. I think NZ has one that costs £100 a YEAR. that's how low the demand is.
Well that’s exactly the same as £10 a month?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yeah but will they make so much money to replace Sky package?
According to the video at the top of this if they sold directly world wide they could theoretically make 24 billion quid a year compared to the 3 billion they make at the moment

DBT85

Season is August through May, that’s 10 months of football. That’s 100 quid altogether. So this planet.
And its NZ. There is little demand. That's why its that price. If the pl were to do this, they need to generate like 1.3bn a year in income from UK subs alone to match what they get from BT, sky and amazon St the moment. With nothing else to sell other than PL.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
My BeIN subscription is 15$ a month, and they show the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Champions League, Europa League,, FA and Carabao cups, all four grand slams, the NBA and like a million more things. I'd rather stick to that than a service showing only the prem.

roonster09

Scout
According to the video at the top of this if they sold directly world wide they could theoretically make 24 billion quid a year compared to the 3 billion they make at the moment
Wow, that insane money.

meamth

My BeIN subscription is 15$ a month, and they show the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Champions League, Europa League,, FA and Carabao cups, all four grand slams, the NBA and like a million more things. I'd rather stick to that than a service showing only the prem.
This is the million dollar question, what happens if PL take all of the rights for themselves and PL can only be watched from their own OTT?
Will you still subscribing to that? or you add another 10-15 quid for PL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They totally wouldn't, as it's armchair fans who would watch, not the people who go to games.